Lady SoMo got the best of me today- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Lady SoMo got the best of me today

I have been sick over the last few weeks, and today was the first day I felt good enough to Mountain bike, so I headed out to do National to Geronimo, HAB up 24th and back down National. Everything was feeling good and so I started my descent down Geronimo. There was a large group of Boy Scouts out today, figured it would be a bit slower than normal. Unfortunately that did not matter as I pinch flatted three times and could never get a groove. Oh well. HAB up 24th sucked as usual, but the run back down National was a blast. Then as I was getting close to the split that takes you either back down to the Pima parking lot and the link to Javelina I slowed down for a couple who were climbing up the trail. Unfortunately my fork preloaded on me and I went over the bars. I had my gear on including my FF helmet, so the rock that would have most likely took out my chin was deflected by the helmet. In the process of the crash either the shifter, seatpost remote or handlebar went into my chest and now it hurts when I take a deep breath, bend over or any movements requiring that side of my body. Not sure if it is just sore or broken. Either way it does not look like anything can be done even if it was cracked. If it does not feel better back to the doctor. Its been a busy few months for crashes and bicycling related accidents. Looks like I may need to invest in chest protection now. Enough cannot be said about protective gear. Other than my chest the rest of my body feels fine thanks to the knee/elbow protection and FF helmet. Time to start shopping for a Iron Man exoskeleton.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    thats a drag. took a header in mid oct, landin on my chest right on top of a boulder in a steep section just after a drop wearin dainise armor and im sure i busted my sternum. oh well, i had a 12 hr dh event the next weekend so i sucked it up. still hurts but like ya say, whats the doc gonna do besides a script?
    No, I'm NOT back!

CAB
    mtbr member
    Sorry to hear that bro. Sucks it happened after a long break get better quick.
    "You have a cough? Go home tonight, eat a whole box of Ex-Lax, tomorrow you'll be afraid to cough."

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Still feeling a broken hand suffered on Alta, hope you heal up guick!!! Welcome to the club interested in "speed and danger"

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    i have two houses saved in my 'tentative' list that are for sale in the gated community on the SW corner of south mountain and 24th. is that a fairly good place to start rides or is it pretty much HAB up to the loop for all except the most hardcore climbers?

"No Clue Crew"
    We all have "those days". Some worse than others. Glad you made it off the mountain in one piece....... Drew

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Grave9
    We all have "those days". Some worse than others. Glad you made it off the mountain in one piece....... Drew
    So true , some days you just can't quite do anything right and the old somo will bite you , Glad you were not too bitten jvmo51.
    Last edited by kelstr; 11-21-2010 at 07:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Was kinda yucky up there today, spent 15 minutes under a rock waiting for the rain to stop, windy, cold.
    The question isn't who's going to let me, it's who's going to stop me.

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy29er
    Was kinda yucky up there today, spent 15 minutes under a rock waiting for the rain to stop, windy, cold.

I looked over that way, on my way out to the pimp track and wondered if you were caught in it !

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenobite39
    I looked over that way, on my way out to the pimp track and wondered if you were caught in it !
    Got a little wet before I cowered under the rock. Climbed fair, descended pretty good. I've got a 5 day weekend coming up, if you guys are doing anything local.

I apologize for the sort of hijack, jvm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy29er
    Got a little wet before I cowered under the rock. Climbed fair, descended pretty good. I've got a 5 day weekend coming up, if you guys are doing anything local.

I apologize for the sort of hijack, jvm.
    No reason to apologize, hijack away. I just wanted to vent my discomfort yesterday after getting abused by the mountain to folks who understand. It is hard to explain to spouses, family members or friends that do not ride, why we willingly take a beating just for the pleasure of bombing down a hill, or clearing a nasty climb.

CAB
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jvm051
    No reason to apologize, hijack away. I just wanted to vent my discomfort yesterday after getting abused by the mountain to folks who understand. It is hard to explain to spouses, family members or friends that do not ride, why we willingly take a beating just for the pleasure of bombing down a hill, or clearing a nasty climb.
    No kidding I hate whn I have tell people I broke my arm, I always get you did that on a bicycle? Makes me want to push them off a cliff.
    "You have a cough? Go home tonight, eat a whole box of Ex-Lax, tomorrow you'll be afraid to cough."

pedaller
    Quote Originally Posted by tls36
    Still feeling a broken hand suffered on Alta, hope you heal up guick!!! Welcome to the club interested in "speed and danger"
    Sadly, +1. Alta = broken hand. Mine is all good now though.
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jvm051
    FWIW, a couple weekends ago, I jacked my knee pretty bad on the waterfall. Bad enough that I put some serious thought into toning down my riding a bit. Well, felt better yesterday, so I was right back up there. Didn't attempt the lower waterfall, but rode everything else on Natty, even throwing in a few drops I've never attempted, a little sessioning on the triangle that went well, cleaned a switchback on the way up that I've never before been able to. A good ride. I'll get banged up again, so will you, we all will. Heal well, ride on.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Two hairline fractures in my foot for me in August. It gave me time to heal up all the other parts that were hurting though. Now that I'm riding again I am all stoked again and have been riding almost every day.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Sorry for reviving this thread but I just gotta say... I was on vacation for two weeks, rode almost everyday and got no new injuries. This is good because my MRI (ankle/heel) came back showing enough damage to get physical therapy but no cast. I am very happy about this because my wife is teasing me about all the injuries I get riding. She just doesn't understand. BTW- I am riding with a brace on my ankle and it is a wonderful thing since I can keep riding.
    JVM051, hope you are feeling better by now. I know how those rib injuries are.

mtbr member
    Hope you feel better. I did some shuttles when visiting from out of town. I rented a DH bike also.

Only showed up with a FF and knee/shin pads. I went down twice of course, I have bruises and soreness in places I never knew possible, this was on wednesday, and It's sunday today, and Im still feeling it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Sorry about your annoying ride. I did that exact same loop two weeks ago. I managed to flat-out (in flats of the boy scout camp, of all places) and snap my granny ring while climbing a section of the 24th St. trail. That mountain is just brutal and bike and body parts.

Members who have read this thread: 0