Laaaaaaaaame!- Mtbr.com

Thread: Laaaaaaaaame!

mtbr member

Laaaaaaaaame!

So anyway......I was accosted by a police officer today at the gas station for not having mud flaps on my truck....and he wrote me a ticket for it. I have to appear in court in Mesa for not having mud flaps on my truck. This is completly rediculous! He also was about to write me a ticket for my bike rack, that he claims blocks my license plate from his view, until I folded it down and said that I would remove it as soon as I got home. I mean seriously.........are there not meth labs that they could be shutting down....or he could have even stopped the people who were speeding by the gas station I was at......but no....Here I am minding my own business, getting ready to pump gas.....and wham!! To top it all off..........mud flaps are so GHEY!!!

-Quick

Too many Sedonuts...
    Does it have a 14-inch lift and 38-inch tires? Then I can see requireing mud flaps, mainly because I've had to replace more than one windshield because of Bigfoot-on-the-freeway.

But if you're cruising around in a stock Tacoma...yeah, lame.
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CactusJoe
    Does it have a 14-inch lift and 38-inch tires? Then I can see requireing mud flaps, mainly because I've had to replace more than one windshield because of Bigfoot-on-the-freeway.

But if you're cruising around in a stock Tacoma...yeah, lame.

8" lift and 37" tires......so I think that is classified as stock by AZ standards. Sorry about your windshield.

Too many Sedonuts...
    Quote Originally Posted by TrainingWheelz?
    8" lift and 37" tires......so I think that is classified as stock by AZ standards. Sorry about your windshield.
    LOL...well can't you at least put some little ones on? Maybe ones with that naked chick sillouhette?

wretch
    I've got a pic of a Cop car with a bike rack on it . . . need to post it up. . .

mtbr member
    Yeah mud flaps are so GAY, that cop probably drives a prius.

Eating meat is murder, yummy yummy murder!!

mtbr member
    28-958.01. Rear fender splash guards
    A. A person shall not operate a truck, trailer, semitrailer or bus on a highway unless the vehicle is equipped with rear fender splash guards that comply with the specifications provided in this section.
    B. The splash guards:
    1. Shall be attached in a manner that prevents the splashing of mud or water on the windshield of other motor vehicles.
    2. Shall extend to a length of not more than eight inches from the ground.
    3. Shall be wide enough to cover the full tread or treads of the tires being protected.
    4. Shall be installed close enough to the tread surface of the tire or wheel to control the side throw of the bulk of the thrown road surface material.
    5. May be constructed of a flexible rubberized material.
    6. Shall be attached in a manner that, regardless of movement either in the splash guards or the vehicle, the splash guards retain their general parallel relationship to the tread surface of the tire or wheel under all ordinary operating conditions.
    C. This section does not apply to:
    1. A vehicle commonly known as a pickup truck with a manufacturer's rating of three-quarter ton or less, except that this section applies if the pickup truck has been modified from the original bumper height design to raise the center of gravity of the pickup truck.
    2. A truck tractor or converter dolly when used in combination with another vehicle.
    3. A single axle trailer with fenders wide enough to cover the full tread or treads of the tires being protected and that extend to a length of not more than fourteen inches from the ground.

Braaaapp!
    That sucks, especially the bike rack thing.

Some cops seem to have nothing better to do sometimes. I once had a state cop in Michigan give me hell for having shackle clevises on my truck's bumpers. He said that bumpers must be smooth, or else it will damage someone's car if they hit me.

My other ride is your mom
    tickets suck, but no sympathy here from me. I've got less than 4k on my 09 A4 Avant and already have 3 large chips up front due to driving the Red Mountain 202 and being pelted by "AZ stock" pick-ups.......and giving 200 yards trailing distance does nothing to diminish this either.

mtbr member
    LOL...well can't you at least put some little ones on? Maybe ones with that naked chick sillouhette?

They must be as wide as my tires and 8" from the ground......that is huuuuuuuuuuge! If I get the ticket a second time he told me it would be a $500 fine.

mtbr member
    I suppose you coulda just put in in 4X4 and drove over his cruiser.

"Yabut"
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Trash
    I've got a pic of a Cop car with a bike rack on it . . . need to post it up. . .
    Yeah, I saw a cop car with a bike rack on the back too. I thought to myself, "If I had a car with a rack on the back. I would take a picture of that cop car, and keep it with me, in case I ever got pulled over." Of course, that would probably piss him off, and he would write me up for something else. Probably best to thank the officer for thinking about my safety (and we all KNOW it's about safety, right?), and then fight the ticket in court.

Wait, didn't we already discuss this topic to death??
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

mtbr member
    The whole rock chip thing never really botherd me, I can replace the windshield on my truck for about $15.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    tickets suck, but no sympathy here from me. I've got less than 4k on my 09 A4 Avant and already have 3 large chips up front due to driving the Red Mountain 202 and being pelted by "AZ stock" pick-ups.......and giving 200 yards trailing distance does nothing to diminish this either.

You're just as likely to have rocks blowing out of the back of a truck hauling dirt or gravel......even with the little screen tarping they put on them now.

Put a fugly bra on your A4 or don't drive it if you are concerned with rock chips.

Again....I apologize for the rock chips.....

mtbr member
    You're just as likely to have rocks blowing out of the back of a truck hauling dirt or gravel......even with the little screen tarping they put on them now.

Put a fugly bra on your A4 or don't drive it if you are concerned with rock chips.

Again....I apologize for the rock chips.....

By the same token, if you are concerned about tickets for no mudflaps on a jacked up truck, get mudflaps or don't drive a lifted vehicle.

Salty Dog

Younger and goofy...

Quote Originally Posted by Kortface
    The whole rock chip thing never really botherd me, I can replace the windshield on my truck for about $15.

Ah yes, those were the days my friend, I thought they'd never end.

Then I decided I had paid too many salaries in fines.

Now I have a very stock F250 that gathers no dust and gets no police attention. Plus, it hauls our trailer very well.

You really need to have good luck when cops are around. The typical cop day goes something like this:

0700 - 0930: Burglary reports.

10:00 - 11:30: Theft reports

12:00 - 13:30: Chickenshit traffic tickets

14:00 - 16:00: Rape, robbery and meth crimes.

16:00 - End of watch: Report writing

The problem is every cop keeps his/her own schedule so you never know if they are in chickenshit traffic ticket mode, until it's too late.

The next time you see a cop you may want to stop him/her and ask which time mode he's currently in.

Once you get tired of paying all those salaries and for all the doughnuts you may not need mud flaps any longer. You just might be old and decrepit like me and have to 'settle' for stock production. Not only that but your jeans won't have the telltale circle on the rear pocket either.

Ventana El Rey - sweet 9er magic! OR sweet Serendipity Superfly 100

My other ride is your mom
    true....but it's the ones that are thrown in a ballistic manner off a tread that do the damage. No need to apologize....I've been driving a truck for a while and did not realize (until I bought the avant) that when you drive a car which is much lower to the ground, stuff tends to hit you more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdub347
    By the same token, if you are concerned about tickets for no mudflaps on a jacked up truck, get mudflaps or don't drive a lifted vehicle.

I am not concerned about the ticket. I am concerned about how ghey my truck is going to look with huge mud flaps. I just know my wife is going to make me put them on there when I show her my shiny new ticket.

mtbr member
    I am not concerned about the ticket. I am concerned about how ghey my truck is going to look with huge mud flaps. I just know my wife is going to make me put them on there when I show her my shiny new ticket.
    Same thing happened to my buddy with his '06 Dodge 3500 that he lifted and stuck 38's on. Got a mudflap ticket the 1st week so he bit the bullet and got some. They look lame, but it is better than being harassed by the cops.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdub347
    Same thing happened to my buddy with his '06 Dodge 3500 that he lifted and stuck 38's on. Got a mudflap ticket the 1st week so he bit the bullet and got some. They look lame, but it is better than being harassed by the cops.

I made it 2 years though without getting stopped for it. It may be time to check out new vehicles. I don't know if I can handle looking at my truck everyday and thinking...."I have to drive this lame piece?"

wretch
    Eat your hearts out. . .
    Attached Images Attached Images

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    If you don't care about the ticket, why take the time to make a post about it? It's not the cop's fault you can't be bothered to follow the law. Man up and take responsibility for your own actions.

Too many Sedonuts...
    I'd be more concerned with the void in your soul that mud-flap-less truck is compensating for.

Sorry, I had to say it before someone (like...Chongoman) did and it came off all sanctimonious.

Everyone here knows I'm joking. Mostly. I drive a hybrid.

Actually, just PM DGangi and alert him to this thread. I'm sure he'll chime in with how girly my hybrid civic and 4runner are and put me in my place....

(Welcome to MTBR, dude!)

-JB

Fragile - must be Italian
    I'd be more concerned with the void in your soul that mud-flap-less truck is compensating for.

Sorry, I had to say it before someone (like...Chongoman) did and it came off all sanctimonious.

Everyone here knows I'm joking. Mostly. I drive a hybrid.

Actually, just PM DGangi and alert him to this thread. I'm sure he'll chime in with how girly my hybrid civic and 4runner are and put me in my place....

(Welcome to MTBR, dude!)

-JB
    Ya...JB has nothing to worry about with the girly street rims/tires on his 4Runner. I think they are the same size the patrol cars are sporting these days.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    true....but it's the ones that are thrown in a ballistic manner off a tread that do the damage. No need to apologize....I've been driving a truck for a while and did not realize (until I bought the avant) that when you drive a car which is much lower to the ground, stuff tends to hit you more.
    My last vehicle was a little TT Quattro. I had a piece of retread tire slap across the hood of my car on the 101. It was kicked up from a truck in front of me. I had it fixed and then went and bought a truck. I would love to have a little fun car again, but it is heartbreaking when you get the smallest scratch or scuff on them. Now with my truck I can beatit up and get the seats wet with lake water and sweat and not care so much.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    If you don't care about the ticket, why take the time to make a post about it? It's not the cop's fault you can't be bothered to follow the law. Man up and take responsibility for your own actions.

I just think that there are more important "rules" to enforce and I would like to see my tax and ticket dollars go to stop more serious "offenders". I was not driving drunk, blowing through red lights, or speeding. I am and will take responsibility for my actions.

Too many Sedonuts...
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    I think they are the same size the patrol cars are sporting these days.

Thx...Doug
    ...or the same size as your mom's...home baked cookies.

Wait, what!?
    Mud flaps arent really THAT gay. Sure, they will suck to look at for the first week or two, I hated mine when we first put them on to protect the custom paint job on the boat, but you will get used to them.

I didnt read the whole thread, so it might have been posted already, and I know its not really relevant at all, but Im going to guess its a 3/4 ton Dodge MegaCab with a Hemi....

mtbr member
    Come to think of it..
    Shoultnt all DH FR bikes have mandated mud flaps? I'm sick of getting dings on my 29er..

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chongoman
    Come to think of it..
    Shoultnt all DH FR bikes have mandated mud flaps? I'm sick of getting dings on my 29er..
    dont all 29ers have bras anyway? this would be overkill

Master Gardener
    I am not concerned about the ticket. I am concerned about how ghey my truck is going to look with huge mud flaps.
    teehee

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    lifting a truck and adding oversized wheels and tires is just plain wrong and should be against the law -------and it will be shortly --------but anyway --( thats just my opinion from and engineering standpoint of safty )

and yes I have built many OFF ROAD trucks with 1000 hp and huge tires and wheels ,

but for the street , -----its wrong.

but -----next time you do a lifted truck with big dumb wheels and tires ,-----do a blazer or suburbon ,-------they are considered a station wagon and do not require mud flaps .

I actually had a cop years ago stop me in my blazer and give me a ticket for no mud flaps ,
    I killed him in court !!

wretch
    Kelstr's back from the dead. . . always insightful posts !

banned
    I bet this guy did something the cop didn't like, so the cop gave him tickets. Maybe the truck was parked across a gas station, blocking cars, and thusly, the cop took care of it.

What, who, me?
    Jul 2006
    Does "King Ranch version"...count as stock?
    No worries Salty you earned that plush ride.

mike
    SKA Racing, beer and bikes. What more could you ask for?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty Dog

You really need to have good luck when cops are around. The typical cop day goes something like this:

0700 - 0930: Burglary reports.

10:00 - 11:30: Theft reports

12:00 - 13:30: Chickenshit traffic tickets

14:00 - 16:00: Rape, robbery and meth crimes.

16:00 - End of watch: Report writing

:

Speak for yourself. I started my shift at 11:30 with my sergeant and crew, going over bulletins, recent burgluries, special attentions, viewing felony warrants, etc. Shift change call-ins began just before midnight. I was rolling out in the cruiser by midnight. Usually got my first call in the next 30 seconds. Usually a disturbance call with a former felon.

On my shift we would be busy up until about 3am. Then we could take a 15 minute break. Then we hunted burglars and watched the streets for drunks or pimps heading home. By 5am it quieted down and we could read the paper until breakfast at 6am. After breakfast we often got calls to make a report of car broken into during the night. Then we got called in for shift change, just before 8am.

My advice to Training Wheelz is do a better job at keeping a low profile. There is likely something more to your story. My nephew use to belly ache all the time about getting popped by the police. His version was that he was always minding his own business. You were never accosted. You were probably seen speeding or driving aggressively and when you ducked into a gas station to avoid the plice, they decided to use your equipment violtation as probably cause to stop you. Then it was all about your attitude, whether or not you were going to receive a ticket. Working a graveyard shift in the ghetto, I rarely had time to write traffic tickets. But when I did stop people, I'd run them and see what their history was. If they had no prior run-ins with the police, I let them go every time, assuming they showed a little respect. In my current job, I spend over $1000 a year replacing cracked windshields. I persoanlly think safely is more important than you feeling you are driving a ghey truck. Man up and pay your fines. If you really want to free up the police so they can catch more burglars, don't drive a high-profile truck that is in clear violation of the law.

The Prodigal Son

Cops never begin by suspecting the best in anyone... - Thomas Griffith

mtbr member
    Best thread EVER...

Meatbomb
    I mean seriously.........are there not meth labs that they could be shutting down....or he could have even stopped the people who were speeding by the gas station I was at......but no....
    All the meth heads and speeders were thinking , cool that guy without flaps has the police tied for a while

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Was it really necessary to denigrate all gay people on this thread? What's "gay" about mudflaps? Unless of course you're getting these mudflaps...

parenting for gnarness
    you should look at this ticket like an offleash dog ticket. Everyone knows its illegal, usually no one cares, but on some level you are certainly creating a negative externality for others (how much is debatable), so just view the fine as the cost of your lifestyle. If you cant afford the ticket, how can you afford the gas and tires (or vet bills, licensing etc. in the case of a dog)?
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

banned
    Wwysd?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Trash
    Kelstr's back from the dead. . . always insightful posts !
    always trying to help.

I feel for the poor cops, it really is a tough job and they do get craped on by the idiots out there.

I have a Duramax and the chassis is all stock, correct tires and wheels ( I tow a 40' fiver so the truck has to work and be safe )
    and I have really cool huge mud flaps , and they look great.

I also have a suburban a blazer and a sprinter , and they do not need mud flaps .( but I have mud flaps on them to keep people safe from rocks I may kick up at them )

Anybody that lifts their truck ( and ruins it, and makes it unsafe ) will get stoped , I am supprized he made it two years.

and yes , its always the lifted truck guys that do not know how to drive at all and get stoped.

I see them all the time , I just honk and wave

wretch
    Quote Originally Posted by JrockFeltaz
    Wwysd?

haha

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JrockFeltaz
    Wwysd?
    Make an overly critical, yet hypocritical, comment.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Hikers=SHlT
    May 2007
    That is lame as hell! I've been in front of cops on the highway and they've never given me any problems (knocks on wood). Looks like I may need to buy some though.

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Make an overly critical, yet hypocritical, comment.
    Lifted trucks are stupid and have no place on the road.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    The reason you weren't stopped is because the statute ONLY applies to pickup trucks (not SUVs or Jeeps). Of course, if you had any consideration for the folks driving behind you, you might look into getting the flaps anyway.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly

Lifted trucks are stupid and have no place on the road.

I could not agree with you more , they are unsafe, and an attempt to aid in the "ego boosting" of guys with very small and usless body parts

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by kelstr
    I could not agree with you more , they are unsafe, and an attempt to aid in the "ego boosting" of guys with very small and usless body parts
    Not always true. Generally, lifted trucks w/o mud flaps are driven by people of all types of backgrounds and physical builds who happen to share one common trait: They care not for the safety of others.

Wait, what!?
    To address the current topic, and not necessarily the OT:

Not all lifted truck drivers disregard the safety of others. Im going to try to make this short. I drive a 4 door long bed 1-ton diesel truck. I haul and tow a lot of different things. My truck has 35 inch tires on it, and an extra leaf spring on each corner, and although thats not considered a lift, they did raise the overall height of my truck about an inch. I like the way it looks, but I also like the way its gets the job done. It has a purpose. I feel safe in my truck when Im driving it around town as well. In all honesty, MY safety and the safety of my friends and family is more important than the safety of the person in the Toyota Prius that I could get in a head on collision with at any time. I would never hope or wish for that, but if it did/does ever happen, I would also never hope or wish that my passengers, or myself, get hurt. Never would I intentionally put another driver in harms way.

Im sure we could all get into this pretty hard, but I just wanted to throw a small thought out there. Bottom line, my truck does what I want it to do when towing or hauling, it gives me a sense of safety and protection when I drive it on the city streets or down the highway, and it also looks good, to ME. Enjoy your A4s, or Corvettes, or M5s, and I will enjoy my truck. I would LOVE to have any one of those cars, but never in place of my 1-ton.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduroblood

Not all lifted truck drivers disregard the safety of others. Im going to try to make this short. I drive a 4 door long bed 1-ton diesel truck. I haul and tow a lot of different things. My truck has 35 inch tires on it, and an extra leaf spring on each corner, and although thats not considered a lift, they did raise the overall height of my truck about an inch. I like the way it looks, but I also like the way its gets the job done. It has a purpose. I feel safe in my truck when Im driving it around town as well. In all honesty, MY safety and the safety of my friends and family is more important than the safety of the person in the Toyota Prius that I could get in a head on collision with at any time. I would never hope or wish for that, but if it did/does ever happen, I would also never hope or wish that my passengers, or myself, get hurt. Never would I intentionally put another driver in harms way.

Im sure we could all get into this pretty hard, but I just wanted to throw a small thought out there. Bottom line, my truck does what I want it to do when towing or hauling, it gives me a sense of safety and protection when I drive it on the city streets or down the highway, and it also looks good, to ME. Enjoy your A4s, or Corvettes, or M5s, and I will enjoy my truck. I would LOVE to have any one of those cars, but never in place of my 1-ton.
    I also have a 1 ton , and I love it , ------but the stock tires and wheels remain.
    The bigger wheels and tires are not rated for the weight , and will fail .
    Your brakes are overloaded from slinging the excessive weight and leveredge from the wrong tires, and your chassis will pitch and roll easier that it would before , and your stopping distance is way off as compaired to stock, ( and your steering is skewed and not working as designed)
    also----bumpers are to be at a givin height to match up with everybodys bumpers to keep people from going under you and throwing you over .

Im just saying this to show what alittle change can do to a vehicle.

I have been called in to court as an expert witness to explain why a vehicle was unsafe and hurt someone in a crash ,

The insurance company will and does deni claims because of modded vehicles ,
    then the owner of one of these looses everything to the party he hurt.

Its something to think about ------it happens all the time

sprocket

yeah, why care for someone you don't know.

Salty Dog

I think I was speaking for myself....

Quote Originally Posted by The Prodigal Son
    Speak for yourself.
    Gee, thanks, but I think I was speaking for myself and tried to inject some humor along the way.

As a retired cop of 20 years in a rather large metropolitan area I think I've earned the right to poke fun at cops. And cops certainly need to remember that humor can carry them through their shift, as well.

I'm certainly glad you and The Sarge are out there at night protecting us so we can sleep peacefully.

Stay safe out there - always!

Tommy
    Ventana El Rey - sweet 9er magic! OR sweet Serendipity Superfly 100

parenting for gnarness
    you lost me on the Prius hating??? . It drives faster than a lot of rice-boxes out there, and is bigger too. We can use the carpool lane, use less gas, and the premium I paid for it helps pave the way for the development of the next gen of cheaper mass-produced hybrids.

We camped out of it for a week in the San Juans and went from Cortez to Durango to Silverton to Telluride to Cortez on 1 tank of gas.

and to 6 Shooter in Globe with bikes at 42 mpg in summer

I also have an F150 4x4, i just drive it for specific purposes or when its loaded with people and bikes.

Wait, what!?
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly
    yeah, why care for someone you don't know.
    If that was a question, it sure was a good one. Can you give me an answer? I dont think I can come up with one.

mtbr member

Okay, but inquiring minds want to know: do you have mud flaps?

(And sorry, why are we having a debate about what car/truck is better on a mountain biking forum? And for the record, I drive a POS Mazda Protege that is 10 years old and still gets over 30 MPG.)

Wait, what!?
    Ahh! I am beginning to wonder if I was clear enough, haha. I dont hate the Prius, in fact I love the advantages of them, and I do care about others. I was trying to explain my reasoning, and give examples.

I never said that I didnt care about people I dont know, and I never said I hated Prius'. I did, however, say that I like my truck and how safe I feel while driving it.

Wait, what!?
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Okay, but inquiring minds want to know: do you have mud flaps?

(And sorry, why are we having a debate about what car/truck is better on a mountain biking forum? And for the record, I drive a POS Mazda Protege that is 10 years old and still gets over 30 MPG.)
    Haha, it does have flaps. I made them myself

I dont think anyone really MEANT for it to turn into a debate either, but after all, we ARE on MTBR and we ALL share different opinions. Wait, has it turned into a debate yet? Haha

mtbr member
    Speak for yourself. I started my shift at 11:30 with my sergeant and crew, going over bulletins, recent burgluries, special attentions, viewing felony warrants, etc. Shift change call-ins began just before midnight. I was rolling out in the cruiser by midnight. Usually got my first call in the next 30 seconds. Usually a disturbance call with a former felon.

On my shift we would be busy up until about 3am. Then we could take a 15 minute break. Then we hunted burglars and watched the streets for drunks or pimps heading home. By 5am it quieted down and we could read the paper until breakfast at 6am. After breakfast we often got calls to make a report of car broken into during the night. Then we got called in for shift change, just before 8am.

My advice to Training Wheelz is do a better job at keeping a low profile. There is likely something more to your story. My nephew use to belly ache all the time about getting popped by the police. His version was that he was always minding his own business. You were never accosted. You were probably seen speeding or driving aggressively and when you ducked into a gas station to avoid the plice, they decided to use your equipment violtation as probably cause to stop you. Then it was all about your attitude, whether or not you were going to receive a ticket. Working a graveyard shift in the ghetto, I rarely had time to write traffic tickets. But when I did stop people, I'd run them and see what their history was. If they had no prior run-ins with the police, I let them go every time, assuming they showed a little respect. In my current job, I spend over $1000 a year replacing cracked windshields. I persoanlly think safely is more important than you feeling you are driving a ghey truck. Man up and pay your fines. If you really want to free up the police so they can catch more burglars, don't drive a high-profile truck that is in clear violation of the law.

The Prodigal Son

Cops never begin by suspecting the best in anyone... - Thomas Griffith
    Way to make assumptions JAY-GOF. I was not speeding. I pulled from my street and drove approximately 200 yards to the gas station. I was stopped and pumping gas when the moto-cop pulled up. It's awesome that our supposed to be protectors always ASSume that we are in the wrong. Have a great day.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    I bet this guy did something the cop didn't like, so the cop gave him tickets. Maybe the truck was parked across a gas station, blocking cars, and thusly, the cop took care of it.

I was pumping gas............and there was a car in front of me pumping gas......I think the officer was just bored.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crispy
    Was it really necessary to denigrate all gay people on this thread? What's "gay" about mudflaps? Unless of course you're getting these mudflaps...

I said GHEY!!!!!!

mtbr member

Well put.

Meatbomb
    just curious, why do you have a bike rack on a pickup truck ?

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    just curious, why do you have a bike rack on a pickup truck ?
    Mine has 2 fork mounts, and can add my hitch rack. 4 bikes, tons of bed space, 4 riders, minimal carbon footprint.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    Mine has 2 fork mounts, and can add my hitch rack. 4 bikes, tons of bed space, 4 riders, minimal carbon footprint.

Exactly......the more bikes and peeps the merrier..... and I paid so much money for the rack when I had my Disco II that I cannot stand to let it go to waste..

mtbr member
    Like some of the people stated, I think the cop was doing what we pay him to do. He probably saw an infraction (no mud flaps) and pulled you over to see if you were trouble. Half the small things people think the police should overlook end up being a good bust once they pull someone over and run them. I know because I watch COPS. I also know all the drug dealers always seem to have borrowed pants on or they have know idea who put those drugs in the trunk of the car.

Aside from the safety issue, I would bet the dollar amount figures for replacing auto glass in AZ are staggering. I know I would like to pay a little less insurance premiums.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    you lost me on the Prius hating??? . It drives faster than a lot of rice-boxes out there, and is bigger too. We can use the carpool lane, use less gas, and the premium I paid for it helps pave the way for the development of the next gen of cheaper mass-produced hybrids.

We camped out of it for a week in the San Juans and went from Cortez to Durango to Silverton to Telluride to Cortez on 1 tank of gas.

and to 6 Shooter in Globe with bikes at 42 mpg in summer

I also have an F150 4x4, i just drive it for specific purposes or when its loaded with people and bikes.
    We also do not use our truck's or van for anything but only towing heavy.
    We also have a TDI VW Beatle , and that dam thing gets 46 to 48 mpg with the oldlady driving it and I can get 50 , I really love the little TDI ----------and its realy fast , ( it gets 42 mpg at 125mph ----- but thats a story for another time )

Elitest thrill junkie

Sorry, but that's a crock of sh*t. You don't give a rat's a$$ about safety, you just care about yourself. You are rationalizing a vehicle and activities that may put others at risk. You already said that YOUR family is more important than every one elses.

Someday someone will run over you or may do something bad because THEY were thinking about THEMSELVES over you. That will be interesting. It's this kind of selfish thinking that drives up insurance rates and makes life a pain in the a$$ for everyone. Usually these types of people are the same ones that wonder why there are so many laws, why insurance is so high, why they can't do certain things, etc. You simply can't think of the greater good on your own, so that's why there are laws (like the mud-flaps, etc). It would be cool if we didn't have to have such stupid laws, but the fact is we have selfish people that don't care how their actions affect anyone else.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Sorry, but that's a crock of sh*t. You don't give a rat's a$$ about safety, you just care about yourself. You are rationalizing a vehicle and activities that may put others at risk. You already said that YOUR family is more important than every one elses.

Someday someone will run over you or may do something bad because THEY were thinking about THEMSELVES over you. That will be interesting. It's this kind of selfish thinking that drives up insurance rates and makes life a pain in the a$$ for everyone. Usually these types of people are the same ones that wonder why there are so many laws, why insurance is so high, why they can't do certain things, etc. You simply can't think of the greater good on your own, so that's why there are laws (like the mud-flaps, etc). It would be cool if we didn't have to have such stupid laws, but the fact is we have selfish people that don't care how their actions affect anyone else.

How is driving a truck puting others at risk? Your puting yourself at risk by driving a sh!t box. A semi next to you on the freeway could blow a tire and take you out, I've seen it happen. There's nothing wrong with puting your family's saftey first and driving a truck. If you want to be around other sh!t box's the size of a couch move to europe.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Kortface
    How is driving a truck puting others at risk? Your puting yourself at risk by driving a sh!t box. A semi next to you on the freeway could blow a tire and take you out, I've seen it happen. There's nothing wrong with puting your family's saftey first and driving a truck. If you want to be around other sh!t box's the size of a couch move to europe.

I'd say I know a little bit about safety. The only real difference between me and others is that I'm not in denial about the above.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Meatbomb
    We me and an Accord meet in the middle of the intersection, I'm taking my chances in my F250..... I own both and feel a lot safer in the truck . I may be wrong but my gut says not.
    Last edited by Phillbo; 02-05-2009 at 04:43 PM.

Wait, what!?

Someday someone will run over you or may do something bad because THEY were thinking about THEMSELVES over you. That will be interesting. You simply can't think of the greater good on your own, so that's why there are laws (like the mud-flaps, etc).
    It is not a crock, its the truth. I care MORE about the ones I love and myself. I didnt say I ONLY care about them and could give a damn about others, I just care less. I would have a hard time believing someone if they told me they care about my family more than their own. This issues goes deeper than just cars or trucks, and I dont think this is the place to get into it, but whateverrrrrrrr.

When I think of ways to make "greater good" happen on my own, the best thing I can come up with is if everyone in the world drove JUST like I do, and if they all drove a truck JUST like mine

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    To the OP: You've used the word "ghey" more times than I can count and also used the word "peeps." Not to mention railing on and on about your pimped-out pickup. I think most of us can safely make some assumptions about your behavior and attitude. And I'm sure you got what you talked yourself into getting.

You neglected to initially mention you got stopped by a motor. That helps explain it. Those guys would write their own mothers tickets

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    To the OP: You've used the word "ghey" more times than I can count and also used the word "peeps." Not to mention railing on and on about your pimped-out pickup. I think most of us can safely make some assumptions about your behavior and attitude. And I'm sure you got what you talked yourself into getting.

You neglected to initially mention you got stopped by a motor. That helps explain it. Those guys would write their own mothers tickets

I was never bragging about my truck. In fact I don't think that I even mentioned what it was or any details aside from the lift and tire size. I am upset that I have invested much of my time and money into building my truck to be aesthetically pleasing to myself....and now I have to put something on it that will take away from the look I was going for. I do not care if anyone else thinks my truck is cool or "pimped out"....I only care about what I think about it. I have to drive it, so I would like to not cringe every time I look at it. Mud flaps, curb feelers, and chrome tape just do not seem to do it for me

I am sorry that you feel that I am uneducated, irrational, and have a blatant disregard for the law based on my choice of words. I apologize if slack off while typing online here...I didn't know I was being graded. I was under the assumption that this was an open forum where the mountain bike community, while not all like minded, could come and post about the good and the bad. I find it humorous that this thread got blown so far out of proportion that people are actually attacking one another because of what they drive or their differing opinions on the safety of their own family vs. that of anothers.

I originally posted because I thought that it was lame to have to take a day off of work to go to court for not having mud flaps on my truck. I was quite polite to the officer, even though he seemed to have something wedged far up inside himself, to try and avoid getting a ticket. Even though I am only 28 years old I have been around long enough to realize that being a smart ass will get you nowhere, not only with johnny law...but in life in general. The cop was an ass. I have nothing against cops or the law by any means, I just think that this is rediculous. He could have easily just gave me a heads up and sent me on my way, not issue a ticket the requires me to actually appear in court. I mean what do the police do when someone breaks into your vehicle ...out here......You call them and they huff and puff if you want them to actually take a report over the phone for the simple fact that you want to provide your insurance company with a police report number. Heaven forbid they actually come out to the scene of the crime and check it out. I know most of you will say they are too busy to come out for a measly car break in......... but why stop someone for mud flaps then? I wish I could say I was too busy to show up in court on a Thursday afternoon, but it just doesn't work that way does it....

Sorry for stirring the pot a little more here...... but would I be out of line to assume all of the people who made the "compensation" comments ride 29ers........j/k

banned
    Way to make assumptions JAY-GOF. I was not speeding. I pulled from my street and drove approximately 200 yards to the gas station. I was stopped and pumping gas when the moto-cop pulled up. It's awesome that our supposed to be protectors always ASSume that we are in the wrong. Have a great day.....
    This won't be your last ticket. You've learned nothing. You're a 28-year-old living in the fast lane and the entire world revolves around your needs. You've mentioned you don't speed yet you went to some trouble to track down the locations of all the speed-cams in the Phoenix area and post them here. You say you drove a mere 200 yards before you got pinched. What could you possibly have done in 200 yards to get the attention of a motorcycle cop?

First of all, that officer is assigned to traffic duty. He doesn't respong to disturbance calls or buglary calls. His job is to patrol and look for traffic violations. He also will handle a traffic accident. You got his attention jusy like a red camero with headers would have.

Most good police work is based on assumption, on profiling, no matter what the courts say about it. If an officer sees a group of vehicles speeding down a road at night, and he also notices a car that is not speeding, but doesn't have it's lights on, which vehicle does he pull over? The car driving under the speed limit without it's lights on has a 50% chance of being a drunk driver. That is who he pulls over. The highway patrol works the I-40 and I-17 interchange, looking for drug runners. They have great skill at knowing which vehicles to stop. They profile the vehicles and the drivers, find some reason to stop the driver, look for something unusual to confirm their suspicion, or they just let their dog take a sniff.

If your truck had mud all over it, that tells them something about you. The modifications you have made put you into a sub-category of people they pay attention to. Bumper stickers might get you profiled. Something hanging from your rear-view mirror. It could have been the way you pulled out or changed lanes. If you have a loud stereo or a loud exhaust, you will get stopped much more often. Before he wrote the ticket, the officer ran your name to look at your history. If he was undecided about giving you a ticket, that information can quickly change his mind.

But you are convinced he was an ass and you were not. You believe a traffic officer should be out doing something else more important (to you). You don't speed but you feel it is important to take the time to find and post the locations of all the photo radar units in the Phoenix area. Do yourself a favor and don't try to defend yourself in court. Telling the judge the traffic officer was an ass probably isn't going to get you off the hook. Plead guilty, since you are, and tell the judge you are a lifelong Cardinals fan. Maybe he'll laugh and reduce your fine.

banned
    I believe the cop, especially after reading this:

I am upset that I have invested much of my time and money into building my truck to be aesthetically pleasing to myself....and now I have to put something on it that will take away from the look I was going for. I do not care if anyone else thinks my truck is cool or "pimped out"....I only care about what I think about it.
    Anyone got this cop's name to send him support for doing the right thing?

sprocket
    It is not a crock, its the truth. I care MORE about the ones I love and myself. I didnt say I ONLY care about them and could give a damn about others, I just care less. I would have a hard time believing someone if they told me they care about my family more than their own. This issues goes deeper than just cars or trucks, and I dont think this is the place to get into it, but whateverrrrrrrr.

When I think of ways to make "greater good" happen on my own, the best thing I can come up with is if everyone in the world drove JUST like I do, and if they all drove a truck JUST like mine
    Yeah, you could care less about people you don't know. It is real easy.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    To the OP: No mud flaps, if that's indeed the statute you were cited for, is a nonmoving civil traffic violation. There should be no need for you to mandatorily attend court. Court is mandatory for criminal stuff and an option for civil.

Check the back of the ticket and/or any other paperwork the officer provided for more details or a phone number to call for info.

Meatbomb
    Get flaps on the truck, take pictures and present to the Judge and I bet he'll dismiss the ticket.

East valley is cracking down on flaps.

banned
    Bet he won't. It costs money to bring a case to court. Sometimes if there's a conference with a DA, you can show them the receipt, the pictures, and then tell them "In the interest of compliance, I made the necessary changes", but it's imperative to do it fast after the ticket. They might not drop it, but they'll drop it to something that will give you a smaller fine.

mtbr member
    Thanks! That's what I intend to do.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I believe the cop, especially after reading this:

Anyone got this cop's name to send him support for doing the right thing?
    I agree with you 100% on this ,

Building a truck and ruining all the engineering that went into it to keep the owner and all of us at a decently safe level is a crime.

if these kids really new how unsafe and badly their trucks perform they would sing a different tune .

and to be ALL ABOUT THE LOOK is a sad statis symbol of what todays youth is all about .

its the me me me state of mind that is why the world is the way it is right now .

these guys do not have their priorities straight , and their familys are in more danger because of them and their credit card

mtbr member
    This won't be your last ticket. You've learned nothing. You're a 28-year-old living in the fast lane and the entire world revolves around your needs. You've mentioned you don't speed yet you went to some trouble to track down the locations of all the speed-cams in the Phoenix area and post them here. You say you drove a mere 200 yards before you got pinched. What could you possibly have done in 200 yards to get the attention of a motorcycle cop?

First of all, that officer is assigned to traffic duty. He doesn't respong to disturbance calls or buglary calls. His job is to patrol and look for traffic violations. He also will handle a traffic accident. You got his attention jusy like a red camero with headers would have.

Most good police work is based on assumption, on profiling, no matter what the courts say about it. If an officer sees a group of vehicles speeding down a road at night, and he also notices a car that is not speeding, but doesn't have it's lights on, which vehicle does he pull over? The car driving under the speed limit without it's lights on has a 50% chance of being a drunk driver. That is who he pulls over. The highway patrol works the I-40 and I-17 interchange, looking for drug runners. They have great skill at knowing which vehicles to stop. They profile the vehicles and the drivers, find some reason to stop the driver, look for something unusual to confirm their suspicion, or they just let their dog take a sniff.

If your truck had mud all over it, that tells them something about you. The modifications you have made put you into a sub-category of people they pay attention to. Bumper stickers might get you profiled. Something hanging from your rear-view mirror. It could have been the way you pulled out or changed lanes. If you have a loud stereo or a loud exhaust, you will get stopped much more often. Before he wrote the ticket, the officer ran your name to look at your history. If he was undecided about giving you a ticket, that information can quickly change his mind.

But you are convinced he was an ass and you were not. You believe a traffic officer should be out doing something else more important (to you). You don't speed but you feel it is important to take the time to find and post the locations of all the photo radar units in the Phoenix area. Do yourself a favor and don't try to defend yourself in court. Telling the judge the traffic officer was an ass probably isn't going to get you off the hook. Plead guilty, since you are, and tell the judge you are a lifelong Cardinals fan. Maybe he'll laugh and reduce your fine.
    First of all.....you do not know me, so why are you so critical? The locations of the speed cams were sent to me in an e-mail at work. I thought it was interesting information and I posted it up online here.

Another thing......I drove 200 yards to get to the gas station. I had the pump in my hand when the officer pulled up behind me. If I did something wrong in the short distance that I did drive then it took him quite some time to get to me. My truck was not and is never covered in mud. I got over off roading a long time ago. I tore apart too many trucks in high school. It does not have gaudy bumper stickers or any stickers for that matter. It is clean, not excessively big like some of the trucks you see in AZ, and does not have a loud exhaust, nor is it painted a loud color. I need my truck to pull my boat, otherwise I would drive a nice little car like most others on here.

I completely understand your rationale behind profiling to be an effective officer. I too would pull over the driver with no lights over the teens racing down the street. On the other hand, I think if I were an officer I would be looking for more serious offenders than the guy pumping gas at the gas station.

Maybe I can sterotype this officer as you are stereotyping me. Maybe he pulled into the gas station to get a nice jelly filled donut and saw a vehicle that reminded him of some kid that used to bully him in high school. So he pulled over, lights flashing, clipboard drawn, to see what he could he bust me for. Mud flaps....check. Bike rack....check. Then maybe he carried on with his quest to get that donut. Maybe while he was eating that jelly donut he felt an overwhelming sense of purpose and self worth because he had just busted the bad guy. Again, I am sure this is not the reality of the matter. However, if the whole world were to make assumptions such as your own I don't think it would be a fun place to be. .......and yes, I do feel that life is 80% about enjoying yourself and having fun...and 20% earning the money to do so.

Obviously the officer didn't think I was that bad since he voided the ticket for my bike rack once I showed him that I could lower it to reveal my license plate until I got home to take it off. Again, I would never think that I could speak in the manner that you mentioned to any person of authority. I would never tell the judge that I felt as if the officer was an ass or unfair. That doesn't work.

I have considered all posts here and do agree with the rational posters on this forum. It is my responsibility to fix my truck so that I dont kick rocks, debris, etc. up. I do not agree that you are a better person if you drive a prius. I do feel much safer in my truck. I do care more about the safety of my family over the safety of others, not to say that I do not care for others as I am a very compasionate and empathetic person. I would not want some big truck to smash my family or any one of your families or loved ones either, but the reality of the matter is that there are big cars and big trucks and big semi trucks on the road. It makes more sense to me to drive something big that puts a bit more metal cushioning between me and those runaway tour buses that we hear about so often these days. I will fix my truck and show the judge the pictures and see what he says. If I have to pay the fine I will. Lesson learned. If anything the mud flaps will keep me from having to wipe my boat down before and after putting it in the lake.

banned
    The cop voided a ticket? I've never heard of that before. Once it's written, then it has to be completed. A cop had a change of heart while writing a ticket out to me, for a no left turn in my neighborhood, but I spoke to him while writing and showed him that we were actually next door to my house. I was wrong, but he changed it to a insurance card ticket and told me to go in with proof and the court would write it off and they did. Even the crossout on the first word of the violation was there.

mtbr member
    Here is the ticket for all to see. Mainly to show that the officer voided the bike rack/license plate visibility ticket. Like I stated before....I was courteous and respectful to the officer or I am sure I would have recieved both.

mtbr member
    Here is the ticket for all to see. Mainly to show that the officer voided the bike rack/license plate visibility ticket. Like I stated before....I was courteous and respectful to the officer or I am sure I would have recieved both.

How do I make this larger?

mtbr member
    The cop voided a ticket? I've never heard of that before. Once it's written, then it has to be completed. A cop had a change of heart while writing a ticket out to me, for a no left turn in my neighborhood, but I spoke to him while writing and showed him that we were actually next door to my house. I was wrong, but he changed it to a insurance card ticket and told me to go in with proof and the court would write it off and they did. Even the crossout on the first word of the violation was there.

It shows in the pic. He was writing the license visibility ticket on the slot for the second concurring violation and put a line through the whole section and wrote void. They were both on the same sheet of paper.

banned
    Ok, then I can see a voiding.

Still, the fact remains that by your 200ft example, on one side, he might have gotten you for driving like a schmuck, but if, in your opinion, there was nothing to get you on, then he got you for NOT HAVING MUDFLAPS, WHICH IS A VIOLATION OF THE MOTOR VEHICLE LAWS.

Did your truck comply with this code or not?

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=kelstr]

Building a truck and ruining all the engineering that went into it to keep the owner and all of us at a decently safe level is a crime.

QUOTE]

A crime...... really? Maybe a crime of passion! All kidding aside.....I understand that I have altered the handling characteristics of my vehicle. I am well aware that the center of gravity is much higher than it once was....this does however cause me to drive much slower, give more room between myself and the vehicle in front of me (although I have actually upgraded my entire brake system with larger rotors/calipers), and take corners slower than I could if it were stock.
    A prius can be just as dangerous too with an idiot behid the wheel. I was once rearended by a waste management truck on the 60 .....you want to talk about damage and safety??
    Should it be a crime for large city vehicles to drive also? I am pretty sure my truck handles better than that thing did. It turned the jetta that I had at the time into a golf. What about all of these 80-90 year olds with no short term memory driving into light rails and pedestrians? Seriously....you say the world is in this state because of youth and their "me me me" attitude....and then post about you you you and your safety? Lighten up please....

these guys do not have their priorities straight , and their familys are in more danger because of them and their credit card
    They still give those out????

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    Q. Does the truck in question have those "Truck Nuts" hanging from the rear?

http://images.google.com/images?q=tr...&safe=off&sa=2
    It wasn't me

mtbr member
    Could the cop have found someone else doing something wrong... perhaps a worse violation than your, to give a ticket to? Yes, probably. But he saw an infraction and wrote you a ticket. You've made a couple good points, as others have... but it simply comes down to the fact that your truck is not legal, period.

This may not be true (officers can chime in) but I've heard that motorcycle cops tend to be a bit more strict than their four-wheeled brethren. Possibly because all they do is traffic tickets? Not sure...

And to the other folks who think their road-monster is safer than an econo-box... NOT true. For example, a Chevy Silverado Pickup and Mediocre crash test results, while a Honda Accord has Good results. Being in a huge vehicle doesn't necessarily make you or your family any safer. You're just buying the vehicle you want (which is fine) and then trying to find reasons to justify it.
    Graeme Hunt Design - www.graemehuntdesign.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Howeler
    Q. Does the truck in question have those "Truck Nuts" hanging from the rear?

http://images.google.com/images?q=tr...&safe=off&sa=2

Hah! No....but I have seen those....I can't believe people actually put those on their vehicles.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Cracker
    Could the cop have found someone else doing something wrong... perhaps a worse violation than your, to give a ticket to? Yes, probably. But he saw an infraction and wrote you a ticket. You've made a couple good points, as others have... but it simply comes down to the fact that your truck is not legal, period.

This may not be true (officers can chime in) but I've heard that motorcycle cops tend to be a bit more strict than their four-wheeled brethren. Possibly because all they do is traffic tickets? Not sure...

And to the other folks who think their road-monster is safer than an econo-box... NOT true. For example, a Chevy Silverado Pickup and Mediocre crash test results, while a Honda Accord has Good results. Being in a huge vehicle doesn't necessarily make you or your family any safer. You're just buying the vehicle you want (which is fine) and then trying to find reasons to justify it.
    Actually, my truck year/model has exemplary safety ratings. The previous generation of the same truck and body style did not however score very well. I did the research before I bought the vehicle. Again, you are very true that some larger vehicles may or may not be safer than many cars on the road.....but in a collision with any small car I would much rather be in my truck.

Elitest thrill junkie
    .....but in a collision with any small car I would much rather be in my truck.
    People rarely understand this. Sure, you may be more likely to survive in a big truck, although there are problems with more force being imparted on the passenger due to the mass of the vehicle (like rollovers or other instances when the vehicle impacts something). The thing is, you're also more likely to decimate that smaller car and kill the occupants. If both of you were in smaller cars there'd be far less force to be dealt with, and probably a better chance that both of you would survive. This is why insurance rates are what they are. There have been a lot of larger vehicles that have been very unsafe, due to many factors, but eventually they figure out how to make the structure absorb the impacts. There are some things that simply can't be overcome, like imparting more force to the passengers and the hazard to other cars on the road. It's not necessarily that first impact that's going to kill you, it's the second or the third or how your body reacts after the first impact. Rationalization of "bigger vehicle = safer" is pretty weak.

In the subject of mud-flaps and lifted trucks, why is it ok for you to create a hazard for other vehicles? What justification have you used that your big truck is "safer"? That it's simply big?

As for me, I'd rather be T-boned or hit in my subie, they have excellent crash ratings and the B-pillar has 6 layers of steel around a carbo-steel rod, it's famously rigid and has been plowed into by vehicles weighing much more with amazing results.

Maybe the best thing to say is that just because you may be more likely to survive in a given vehicle or situation, it doesn't mean it's a "safer" vehicle just for that. It might be safer for you and your family, but if it's dangerous to others I'm going to consider that in recommending it's usage/restrictions or insurance adjustments. My Master's is in Safety Science. You only care about yourself, but other people have to care and worry about everyone.

mtbr member
    People rarely understand this. Sure, you may be more likely to survive in a big truck, although there are problems with more force being imparted on the passenger due to the mass of the vehicle (like rollovers or other instances when the vehicle impacts something). The thing is, you're also more likely to decimate that smaller car and kill the occupants. If both of you were in smaller cars there'd be far less force to be dealt with, and probably a better chance that both of you would survive. This is why insurance rates are what they are. There have been a lot of larger vehicles that have been very unsafe, due to many factors, but eventually they figure out how to make the structure absorb the impacts. There are some things that simply can't be overcome, like imparting more force to the passengers and the hazard to other cars on the road. It's not necessarily that first impact that's going to kill you, it's the second or the third or how your body reacts after the first impact. Rationalization of "bigger vehicle = safer" is pretty weak.

In the subject of mud-flaps and lifted trucks, why is it ok for you to create a hazard for other vehicles? What justification have you used that your big truck is "safer"? That it's simply big?

As for me, I'd rather be T-boned or hit in my subie, they have excellent crash ratings and the B-pillar has 6 layers of steel around a carbo-steel rod, it's famously rigid and has been plowed into by vehicles weighing much more with amazing results.

Maybe the best thing to say is that just because you may be more likely to survive in a given vehicle or situation, it doesn't mean it's a "safer" vehicle just for that. It might be safer for you and your family, but if it's dangerous to others I'm going to consider that in recommending it's usage/restrictions or insurance adjustments. My Master's is in Safety Science. You only care about yourself, but other people have to care and worry about everyone.
    The fact of the matter is that there will always be trucks on the road. Sure they may eventually make it illegal to modify or alter the suspension of a vehicle, however, they will never outlaw trucks. They are neccessary in our society and many people depend on them for their livelihood. I didn't start this post to debate which vehicle is safer than the next....and my opinion may have changed since the onset of my post. I do not only care about myself and aside from preference in vehicles, I would consider myself a very caring and generous person. As far as insurance premiums are concerned you can bet that your rates would not be impacted in the slightest if it were illegal to alter the suspension of our vehicles. There are so many more factors taken into consideration that the size of your vehicle. In fact, it costs more to insure an impreza than an f150. Now, if we could address the issue that only 60% of AZ residents on the road carry at least the state minimum insurance (which is not socially responsible if you consider the minimal amount of coverage provided to the injured party) coverage then your rates may decrease. If you want to do something worthwhile you should use your MS and contacts and try to get the state minimums increased to something other than 15/30 which won't even cover a day in the hospital.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Another good write up showing the error of what people percive to be ok, or safer ??

no matter how Training Wheelz tries to justify his large mistake, it cannot be justified.

He has made a great vehicle into a large P.O.S that will hurt more than just him ..

and it is illegal to modify anything from the D.O.T. ratings it was built with ,
    it is just not inforced, ---there are plenty of laws you are breaking,
    it is taken up in court when you crash and hurt someone and your insurance denies and cancels you and you get slapped with a multi million dollar law suit.

I have personal seen many of these ruin people lives , not to mention the ones they hurt .

modding vehicles is not something to be taken lightly.

when the new generation computor controll height , braking , pitch, ya , roll vehicles come there will be no more modding D.O.T aproved vehicles .

this will be really cool

mtbr member
    Another good write up showing the error of what people percive to be ok, or safer ??

no matter how Training Wheelz tries to justify his large mistake, it cannot be justified.

He has made a great vehicle into a large P.O.S that will hurt more than just him ..

and it is illegal to modify anything from the D.O.T. ratings it was built with ,
    it is taken up in court when you crash and hurt someone and your insurance denies and cancels you and you get slapped with a multi million dollar law suit.

I have personal seen many of these ruin people lives , not to mention the ones they hurt .

when the new generation computor controll height , braking , pitch, ya , roll vehicles come there will be no more modding D.O.T aproved vehicles .

this will be really cool
    Large mistake? P.O.S.? ...............may many many rocks pelt your windows.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Another thing......I drove 200 yards to get to the gas station. I had the pump in my hand when the officer pulled up behind me. If I did something wrong in the short distance that I did drive then it took him quite some time to get to me. My truck was not and is never covered in mud. I got over off roading a long time ago. I tore apart too many trucks in high school. It does not have gaudy bumper stickers or any stickers for that matter. It is clean, not excessively big like some of the trucks you see in AZ, and does not have a loud exhaust, nor is it painted a loud color. I need my truck to pull my boat, otherwise I would drive a nice little car like most others on here.

So you lifted your truck to use it as a tow vehicle?

you sound like a poser

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kapaso

you sound like a poser

It actually helps alot at the boat ramp. You can back down alot farther without submurging the tailpipe.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kapaso

you sound like a poser

If by poser you are talking about my truck being a street queen then YES. I did not lift it for any increased towing capabilities. It does not help at all and if anything it actually decreases the towing capabilities. I tow a 4000 pound boat....not a camper or a tractor....so it serves its purpose fine.

Thank you for your valuable insight.

mtbr member
    OFFICERS.........In all seriousness.....will these make me legal?

https://www.awdirect.com/rock-tamers...ns/?CID=BASE08

Meatbomb
    wow.. talk about overkill.... those are geared towards the full time 5'er crowd. You can find much better looking flaps than that.

Braaaapp!
    Something like this would be way better.

https://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/body/flaps02/

Meatbomb

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    OFFICERS.........In all seriousness.....will these make me legal?

https://www.awdirect.com/rock-tamers...ns/?CID=BASE08

those are exactly what I have on our Duramax

things are awsome, -----they keep everything off the truck and the fiver, and off everybody else on the road
    I cut the center section out and bolted them on at the bottom of the bumper to clean them up and still have use of the receiver hitch when not using the fiver
    Last edited by kelstr; 02-05-2009 at 07:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by StabMasta
    That is lame as hell! I've been in front of cops on the highway and they've never given me any problems (knocks on wood). Looks like I may need to buy some though.

No you dont! Check your title and registration, your 4-Runner is legally a four wheel drive STATION WAGON! And therefor exempt from needing mud flaps.

Why do never see lifted Jeeps with mud flaps? Same thing, they are station wagons, not trucks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

OMG! You cant be serious!

MOST all vehicle crashes are due to driver error, NOT equipment failure. But, the few that have been from equipment failure, were indeed due to manufacturers equipment. The percentage of accidents due to a failure of a part on a modded vehicle is such a small number, it doesn't even warrant a number.

This totaltarian, authoritarian view of vehicle modification really chaps my arse. As long as the mods are done CORRECTLY and SAFELY there should be no issues. As for those who perform booty fab, well Darwin usually claims them rather quickly.

As for me, I drive a stock Nissan Frontier crewcab, and my wife has a stock Xterra. But in my garage is a 1994 Wrangler that I am building. It has the axles and brakes from a 1 ton Ford truck, 40in tires, H2 wheels, a custom three link front suspension, frame and body stretched 15in, and a custom adapted auto trans to the four cyl engine. Right now I'm gathering parts to build the 4 link rear suspension and then I will adding a turbo to the engine.

And I have done all the fab work myself.

Meatbomb
    You don't plan to drive the Wrangler on the streets do you ? It's a rock crawler for off road use only - right ?

dirt visionary
    entertaining stuff...........
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

banned
    Is it possible to cross this thread over into guns?

Braaaapp!
    Quote Originally Posted by xjcrawlr
    This totaltarian, authoritarian view of vehicle modification really chaps my arse.
    Me too! There are so many variables involved it's assinine to say you can't modify a vehicle because it's unsafe. What justifies it as unsafe? Because there is a safer vehicle ot there available from the automaker? What about older cars on the road that aren't as safe as newer ones?

Is my 01 TJ less safe than a stock one because I have a 1" lift and 1" taller tires (1.5" ride height increase)? Or is it safer becasue I have gone with a soft top instead of a hard top and removed 80+ lbs of up-high weight? Who's going to perform this test to prove one way or the other?

Is a half ton pickup with a 3" lift and 5" wider track width less safe than a Suzuki Samuri? Should the Suzuki not be allowed on the road because it's not as safe as a new Jetta? The Honda Accord is Honda's "safest" car. Should they not be allowed to sell Civics, S2000's, Elements, and Ridgelines because they aren't as safe as something else people could be driving?

What about motorcycles? They should definitely be banned, right? Boy, bicycles are dangerous too....

It's a slippery slope when you want to start telling people what they can and can't do for their own safety. You know most choking deaths are from pen caps? Guess we should ban pens for everyone's safety. I know I'm taking this way too far, but that's the whole point.

I think I need to Upgrade

Well, with a lifted truck while shooting from the bed or the roof of said truck it does provide a better vantage point which means you have a better field of view so there fore you can be more combat effective! Oh and you can carry more guns .

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AzSpeedfreek
    Well, with a lifted truck while shooting from the bed or the roof of said truck it does provide a better vantage point which means you have a better field of view so there fore you can be more combat effective! Oh and you can carry more guns .
    usmcruz could not have done it better.

Braaaapp!
    Quote Originally Posted by AzSpeedfreek
    And the off-road lights on said lifted truck are great for spotting whatever critter you are shooting at.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    You don't plan to drive the Wrangler on the streets do you ? It's a rock crawler for off road use only - right ?
    To get to and from the trails, yes I certainly do.

Victim of Saddle Rage
    "For Sale Ebay Motors under Willy's Jeeps"

As long as the gun is not blocking the plate you're legal
    Attached Images Attached Images
    " the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." C&H

pedaller
    Almost all the bullets that kill people are fired from guns...so maybe we should ban guns for people's safety also!!!

"Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

banned
    Can a gun get me a better chance with a lady? I like to snuggle too and have a heart of gold. Plus I have these big, meaty t*ts that I think are made of muscle.

banned
    Dec 2008
    This is beyond entertaining, but also confusing. Two issues here....One is you are worried about mud flaps making your jacked up truck look gay? A jacked up truck looks gay with or without mudflaps. Add a confederate flag, crank the Hank Williams, and rock your stuff dude! Second....what is the point of driving a jacked up truck that you do not off road? That is like buying or building a DH bike and never riding DH in the dirt....just riding an 8 inch travel DH sled to the store to look bad a$$.

So whatever man.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Pig
    Second....what is the point of driving a jacked up truck that you do not off road? That is like buying or building a DH bike and never riding DH in the dirt....just riding an 8 inch travel DH sled to the store to look bad a$$.
    Um, excuse me. Why do you have to get all personal and stuff? Do I know you?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Pig
    This is beyond entertaining, but also confusing. Two issues here....One is you are worried about mud flaps making your jacked up truck look gay? A jacked up truck looks gay with or without mudflaps. Add a confederate flag, crank the Hank Williams, and rock your stuff dude! Second....what is the point of driving a jacked up truck that you do not off road? That is like buying or building a DH bike and never riding DH in the dirt....just riding an 8 inch travel DH sled to the store to look bad a$$.

So whatever man.
    Saying such things can drive a wedge through this internet community. Be careful with your words.

mtbr member
    Spoken like a true moped driver.
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

Hikers=SHlT
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by xjcrawlr
    No you dont! Check your title and registration, your 4-Runner is legally a four wheel drive STATION WAGON! And therefor exempt from needing mud flaps.

Why do never see lifted Jeeps with mud flaps? Same thing, they are station wagons, not trucks.
    Awesome! I would have thought otherwise. My 4runner (especially the 1st gens) are more like trucks than a station wagons.

This thread is hilarious though. I find women drivers to be FAR more dangerous than any MANned lifted truck out there. Yet, nobody is complaining about that because it may hurt somebodies feelings. My build was actually put on hold for over a month because a dumb broad took a blind left turn going 35mph right into my truck. Let me tell you, it takes quite an impact from a Camry to get my truck to turn 90 degress. Had I been on a bicycle or my motorcycle, I could have been killed. I walked away from my truck uninjured. How's that for SAFE, nazi treehuggers?

Quote Originally Posted by adam728
    And the off-road lights on said lifted truck are great for spotting whatever critter you are shooting at.

And seeing the carnage unfold after the shot!!

Quote Originally Posted by StabMasta
    Awesome! I would have thought otherwise. My 4runner (especially the 1st gens) are more like trucks than a station wagons.

This thread is hilarious though. I find women drivers to be FAR more dangerous than any MANned lifted truck out there. Yet, nobody is complaining about that because it may hurt somebodies feelings. My build was actually put on hold for over a month because a dumb broad took a blind left turn going 35mph right into my truck. Let me tell you, it takes quite an impact from a Camry to get my truck to turn 90 degress. Had I been on a bicycle or my motorcycle, I could have been killed. I walked away from my truck uninjured. How's that for SAFE, nazi treehuggers?

That is your own fault for driving a Truck that size!!!!!!!!!!
    You should drive a Bigger truck so that you can be seen easier and not fit a blind spot with the tiny truck you have right now.

pedaller
    it takes quite an impact from a Camry to get my truck to turn 90 degress.
    Not really, it was easy for it to just go under your truck and "lift it" and toss it around...

You would've been MUCH safer in a Prius.

Hikers=SHlT
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg
    Not really, it was easy for it to just go under your truck and "lift it" and toss it around...

You would've been MUCH safer in a Prius.
    http://www.priusdrivers.com/prius_dr...-mercury-news/

One dead after Prius crashes into truck near San Mateo Bridge - San Jose Mercury News
    August 10th 2008 in Prius Drivers

One dead after Prius crashes into truck near San Mateo Bridge - San Jose Mercury News

One person died after crashing into an unoccupied electrician truck in a parking lot near the San Mateo-Hayward Bridge this morning, according to the California Highway Patrol.

The crash was reported just after 6:30 a.m. near the toll plaza of the San Mateo-Hayward Bridge, also known as state Highway 92, CHP Officer Aaron Quistad said.

A preliminary investigation indicates the victim crashed a Toyota Prius into the parked electrician truck, according to Quistad. The Prius sustained major front-end damage.

The victim was pronounced dead at the scene. No other injuries were reported, Quistad said.

Read the entire article at One dead after Prius crashes into truck near San Mateo Bridge - San Jose Mercury News.
    Another good one...

http://notlikeyoucarebut.blogspot.co...us-people.html

just 1 more
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg
    Almost all the bullets that kill people are fired from guns...so maybe we should ban guns for people's safety also!!!

The new government is working on it. Actually the new angle is to get ammo banned or so expensive only criminals will have any. Makes perfect sense.

I bought this on inauguration day to celebrate the historic event Someone asked for guns..
    Last edited by azjeff; 05-30-2011 at 08:27 PM.

pedaller
    Oooops I forgot this:

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I love my side arms , rifles and full automatic machine sub guns .

This my not be the correct place to discuss the three gun shoot coming up or the sub gun match .

it is alot of fun tho .

and yes i carry legally at all times

Hikers=SHlT
    May 2007
    I love my side arms , rifles and full automatic machine sub guns .

This my not be the correct place to discuss the three gun shoot coming up or the sub gun match .

it is alot of fun tho .

and yes i carry legally at all times
    Good for you. Every qualified citizen should be required to carry.

Zipper
    Your not the first and I'm sure you wont be the last to get a ticket for this
    Just get it fixed before you go to court and bring all receipts with you to court
    1 semi truck mud flap - 20.00 cut in half you have 2. Add a couple bolts and a drill and find a spot to mount them
    Just remember they have to hang and be no further from the ground than 8 inches
    Sold hundreds of them to people in the same situation when I worked for NAPA

Oh and you might want to get your headlights aimed before you get pulled over in Gilbert for that!!!
    Zipper aka Rob

Master Gardener
    This is the thread that does not end,
    it just goes on and on my friend,
    some people started writing it not knowing what it was
    and they'll continue writing it forever just because.

Fueled by meat n potatoes
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Velokid1
    Somebody watches "Lamb Chops Play Along"
    Moosen! I saw a flock of MOOSEN! There were many of ‘em. Many much moosen. Out in the woods…in the wood-es…in the woodsen.

mtbr member
    True story... I got pulled over for flaps 5 months ago. While I'm sitting in my lifted Ranger w/35 in tires, waiting for the officer to check me out on his computer and issue his citation, a Honda Accord drives past me on the frwy and throws a rock up onto a windshield of a Jeep Wrangler. I'm not making this stuff up folks! I couldn't believe my eyes! Of course the officer didn't notice this happening.
    If there should be blame placed for busted windshields, it should be placed on the fools that decided to put gravel on the sides of our frwys to make them look nice. I lived here before the gravel appeared, and NEVER had a busted wshield till then. Now, it's a yearly thing to replace my wshield. Blame it all on the rocks!
    It's only skin, it'll grow back!!

Save the drama for your mama!!!

Porkchop Sandwiches!

mtbr member
    BTW... My Ranger has BFG Mud Terrain tires. The large lugs on these tires make it very difficult to pick up rocks/gravel off the road and fling them at our fellow motorists. It's the All Terrain tires that come stock on most SUVs that are MOST likely to pick up stones and send them sailing into someone's wshield. The tread on these ties are like little fingers that pinch/grab hold of rocks, then the centrifical force of the wheel sends the little missiles on a collision course with the vehicle behind them. Maybe we should outlaw All Terrain tires...?

Porkchop Sandwiches!

Hikers=SHlT
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SPIDERS
    maybe we should outlaw All Terrain tires...?
    Maybe everything should be legal like a free country should be and outlaw all the god damn whiners.

mtbr member
    Amen to that!!!

Porkchop Sandwiches!

Members who have read this thread: 0