Keystone questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Keystone questions

I'm doing four high alpine rides in CO next week. I know the long time spent at altitude is going to wreck me so I was thinking of taking an off day in the middle and hitting the lifts at Keystone. I know absolutely nothing about the riding at Keystone but I gather there is a plethora of "rated" trails to choose from.

I've never ridden a DH specific bike and would rent one. For reference I ride Wasabi and Double D on my 5" trailbike and hit the jumps (with the exception of the gap at the road) but I'm not really into large drops to flat or jumps in tight trees. I'm more into steep rollers and such but I'd like to try out this gravity thing. It could also be that I'm clueless and riding the lifts will be more strenuous than I think; thus negating needed recovery.

So, if anyone has recommendations on shops, bikes, or trail suggestions I'm all ears. Thanks in advance

Kathleen in AZ
    You live in Flag, right? You'll be fine with the elevation. But be prepared to be whooped after a day of DHing! You will have a blast, but don't expect it to be a recovery day Expect your quads to burn, and your face to hurt from all the grinning. BTW, the day I rented a DH bike was the day my life changed forever. Sorry but I have no info on Keystone. Have fun!

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Keystone has everything you described and more. If you like steeps check out Jam Rock. You will be tired for sure. Hands will be beat for sure. Do a few runs and try a little of everything.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Hey, thanks for the replies. I have knee pads but would a shop there rent lobster gear or a full face?

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Hey, thanks for the replies. I have knee pads but would a shop there rent lobster gear or a full face?
    You should be able to rent full protection with the DH bike... do it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    There is a shop in the village that rents all kinds of bikes and any accessories you might need. Trails for all abilities. Your face will hurt at the end of the day as previously stated.
    Because, one is never enough.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl View Post
    You live in Flag, right? You'll be fine with the elevation. But be prepared to be whooped after a day of DHing! You will have a blast, but don't expect it to be a recovery day Expect your quads to burn, and your face to hurt from all the grinning.
    For sure! Going downhill ain't easy. A completely different kind of sore than you're used to. I'm still getting used to it which is why I run the Wed shuttles so I can my body used to the abuse DHing SoMo dishes out.

mtbr member
    If you're going to rent a downhill bike do so in town somewhere (not at the bike park). They charge you double at the village at the base of the lifts. To cut the price even more, rent a full suspension trail bike. I rode my Specialized Camber Elite on Keystone all day and was fine (albeit I mainly did greens and blues with one or two blacks).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Mays Here View Post
    If you're going to rent a downhill bike do so in town somewhere (not at the bike park). They charge you double at the village at the base of the lifts. To cut the price even more, rent a full suspension trail bike. I rode my Specialized Camber Elite on Keystone all day and was fine (albeit I mainly did greens and blues with one or two blacks).
    Hey, thanks for the reply. As it turns out Keystone is now shut down except for weekends and it rained all day that I was hoping to do it. And the whole point was to rent a DH bike and go large. Or go home I guess, either way I had my fill the next day with a nice xc ride.

jddist
    May 2008
    Take the hour and half drive to winter park and get your DH on. Think they are still running 7 days a week till late Sep

suvlako
    You can rent a rig at Mojo wheels for about $50. Keystone es muy bueno...

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Avalanche sports in Breckenridge has Rocky Mountain flatlines as well if you ever go back and do not want to rent in the villages.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!