Kentucky Camp 12/12- Mtbr.com
    Tucson, AZ

Kentucky Camp 12/12

This is still more than 2 months away but it tends to draw some Phoenix riders, so I figured I'd make the announcement.

This year, the route will offer a different camping venue and more singletrack, utilizing new AZT singletrack. In fact, if you are interested in bringing the family, there is more singletrack north of the camping venue that the race/ride will not be using. It would be a great alternative for any one that just wants to ride some new AZT singletrack.

There will still be two lollipop/Figure 9 options: short and large loop, 29 and 47 miles respectively. I'd compare the easy loop to doing the Full Meal Deal on BCT, the longer loop would be comparable to doing the FMD on BCT and riding National to BV (eerrrrrr, does that really even help?).

Here is the info. GPX file available for those that want to preview the route. I will post maps in the next week.

As with any AES race, our goal to inspire people to ride. In other words, we like to challenge others to push their limit and enjoy each some post-ride BBQing (assuming weather permits, last year the wind started to pick up).

Those not interested in racing, I encourage you to check out the GPX file and come down this winter to ride the new singletrack.

If you need pictures from the route, click here.

mtbr member
    I think I might have to get my butt down there this year.
    b

mtbr member

nice change

Looks like a nice course correction over previous iterations. I'm looking forward to the long course this year .
    So the AZ Trail segment would be akin to National->BV in terms of length, climbing and/or technicality?
    Cheers,
    Matt

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by idaz
    Looks like a nice course correction over previous iterations. I'm looking forward to the long course this year .
    So the AZ Trail segment would be akin to National->BV in terms of length, climbing and/or technicality?
    Cheers,
    Matt
    good question, sorry I did not explain very much. It is in terms of length, not technical as National to BV at all.

I am Walt
    Hmmm...me likey...*ponder*...
    Ride more; post less...

Tucson, AZ
    Some pics from today's ride out at Kentucky Camp...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    The rainbow pics are great!

I'm thinking I might give this a go.

Who all is heading down?

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleGerl
    Who all is heading down?
    MTBRers: CoyoteKiss and BrianC off the top of my head.

Other AZ and NM riders along with those pictured above. Looks like around 58 people now on the list.
    Last edited by azepicriderandrunner; 11-29-2009 at 08:35 PM.

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    Oh yes. Quite In. Can't wait. On like Donkey Kong. Excellent pics. (And Chad? It's Kis'... short for Kismet, which means Destiny/Fate. Not kiss. Please don't associate me with foul-breathed coyotes'. *wink* I brush at least once a week. )
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

I am Walt
    In...

And it's pronounced "CoyoteKIZZ"!!!...as Deanna will be SURE to tell you...
    Ride more; post less...

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteKis
    Oh yes. Quite In. Can't wait. On like Donkey Kong. Excellent pics. (And Chad? It's Kis'... short for Kismet, which means Destiny/Fate. Not kiss. Please don't associate me with foul-breathed coyotes'. *wink* I brush at least once a week. )
    Oooooppppssss....my apologies.

A few more pics...

Did I mention the day started out like this before the rainbow and sun appeared?

All smiles....gotta love Arizona

and a broken Ti, Voodoo frame after 8 months.

aka Diesel
    [QUOTE=azepicriderandrunner]Oooooppppssss....my apologies.

A few more pics...

Did I mention the day started out like this before the rainbow and sun appeared?

Is that sugar? *eep*
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

mtbr member
    yep, I'm excited to test myself on the full ride, SS style. secured a GPS to borrow so my route finding worries are somewhat reduced.

I have taken the friday off before the ride, plan to head down from PHX that morning, so if anyone wants to either explore the northern trail sections that Chad mentioned or do a little pre-ride, I'd love the company.
    b

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc
    yep, I'm excited to test myself on the full ride, SS style. secured a GPS to borrow so my route finding worries are somewhat reduced.

I have taken the friday off before the ride, plan to head down from PHX that morning, so if anyone wants to either explore the northern trail sections that Chad mentioned or do a little pre-ride, I'd love the company.
    Option 1: The Rosemont Canyon (where we are camping/starting) to Lakes Rd is a great ride, ~2 hours of goodness one way singletrack. Steep/hard in some sections.

Option 2: The other option is to park on Saguarita Rd/Highway 83 (which you pass) and ride that section out-n-back. I will have GPX files and maps for all the areas on the google group later tonight. Easier option, Great contouring, sweet views.

If you are riding with someone that wants to drop you of at Option 2, you will be able to ride to the camp site (doing Option 1), some 10ish miles of singletrack/doubltrack.

I will be showing up to do Option 2 at around 4ish if anyone wants to join is for the tour.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Other AZ and NM riders along with those pictured above. Looks like around 58 people now on the list.
    IN!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

~~~~~~~
    i'm in.

pictures look like you had an awesome group and some fantastic weather.

Master Gardener
    I wish I were coming down. That route looks killer, Chad. All you folks have fun!

mtbr member
    FYI the topofusion map (jpg) you can get from the AES google mail group file download page has arrows that contradict those depicted on the AES website (Kentucky Camp portion counterclockwise).
    Cheers,
    M

Monocog Masher
    I would really like to download the GPX file to put in my GPS so I can ride it this week, but haven't had a lot of luck. First went to SDMB site and then to AZES group file download page, but when I click on the GPX file I just get a page full of text and links. Now download box. What is my issue?

mtbr member
    Chad mentioned above that he will up load a new file that goes the direction that we are doing the ride this year up on the Kentuckycamp Google list.

I maybe wrong, but could a gpx file actually be a text format. so you just copy adn paste the text you see into something like notepad, then save as "KC_AES.gpx". being certain to use the proper file extension for the gpx file and the "" are very important so Microspft does not "help" you my adding a .txt extension.

I have never downloaded a GPS file so dont take my word for it if this does not work.
    b

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I think what finally worked when I was having trouble with the Monstercross file was to take out the "+" symbols in the name of the file and add the .gpx extension. You also need to change the box below it to "all files" and then save it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Merost
    I would really like to download the GPX file to put in my GPS so I can ride it this week, but haven't had a lot of luck. First went to SDMB site and then to AZES group file download page, but when I click on the GPX file I just get a page full of text and links. Now download box. What is my issue?

When you click on a the file, you are opening the file. Why not save the file first, then upload to your GPS?

If you insist on clicking on the file first and opening it, you can always go to FILE and SAVE AS on your browser and save it somewhere on your computer for uploading to your GPS.

Hope this helps.

as a side note, if you are uploading to a Edge 305, you'll need to convert it to .crs before you can upload it. The 305 doesn't recognize the .gpx format.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hmmm that looks kinda like the broken Voodoo frame I have sitting on my desk...not a good sign. Was it Gabe's?

Sorry I couldn't make the ride but I will see you on the 12th.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by slugobikes
    Hmmm that looks kinda like the broken Voodoo frame I have sitting on my desk...not a good sign. Was it Gabe's?
    Yes, it was Gabe's. Are they going to warranty it?

See you on 12/12

Chad,

Nancy and I can't make Kentucky Camp that weekend. However, we are going to be in Tucson around Christmas and I'm thinking of doing it then. Are the trails in good enough shape that we'll be likely to be able to find them all? Is the second loop worth the extra effort or is it just there for more miles?

Also, we'll do 1 or 2 other rides while in the area. Any suggestions? We did the SSAZ course last year, but that is the ONLY riding we've done in Tucson.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    --Jeff

Tucson, AZ
    I will be in town and can help you both...but here are some ideas.

Day 1: Starr Pass to Robles
    Day 2: Kentucky Camp Long Course
    Day 3: Pistol Hill to 3 Bridges
    Day 4: Brown Mountain/Sweet/Prospector/Golden Gate
    Day 5: 50 Year Trail-Cherry Tank-Charleau Gap

Mi casa es tu casa if you need a place to crash. Let me know if you need any GPX files.

I will be in town and can help you both...but here are some ideas.

Day 1: Starr Pass to Robles
    Day 2: Kentucky Camp Long Course
    Day 3: Pistol Hill to 3 Bridges
    Day 4: Brown Mountain/Sweet/Prospector/Golden Gate
    Day 5: 50 Year Trail-Cherry Tank-Charleau Gap

Mi casa es tu casa if you need a place to crash. Let me know if you need any GPX files.
    Many thanks Chad. E-mailed you some follow up details.

--Jeff

mtbr member
    I rolled the short loop this cool and blustery afternoon. An endurance equestrian event pulverized and powderized a good bit of the first segment of the trail. According to the rider I spoke with they were on their third loop in two days. Still fun stuff though and a welcome addition. The predicted precip would definitely help speed it up a bit.
    Also ran through at least 60 cows around the ten mile mark, just before AZT dumps you onto the dirt roads, some weren't so friendly.
    Lots of quail hunters out, mostly by the paved and FS roads. A few shots made me duck and look. At times it was like biking by the firing range off Reddington rd.
    Hope the weather cooperates. Sounds like a big and strong field could toe the line
    Cheers,
    M

Tucson, AZ
    Thank you for the update. There are about 4 people going out today from Tucson to pre-ride the course from Rosemont Canyon (starting place).

Maps should be available soon. Mr. Topofusion is getting them published soon. I will post the camping spots/parking location later today. Weather seems like it is going to be great!

Tucson, AZ
    Maps are available now on the website courtesy of Topofusion.com

I am Walt
    Chad and/or Tusconians - What are the weather and course conditions expected to be for the race? I'm looking forward to this!

Thx,

Walt
    Ride more; post less...

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    Chad and/or Tusconians - What are the weather and course conditions expected to be for the race? I'm looking forward to this!
    weather looks great, a bit chilly but once you start you should be nice and toasty

At least a dozen of us are camping out both Friday and Saturday.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Rode a bit of the course yesterday and the rain we had earier in the week has really firmed up the trail. It had gotten really powdery/dusty in a bunch of spots over the summer.

It's gonna be fun!!

mtbr member
    Super fun time. The course was a little more punishing than I thought, but great fun none the less. I wish there were more of the blissful single track in the second picture. this GEM of a trail made the rocky fire-road climbs on my SS completely worth the effort.

thanks for putting this on Chad. Eager to see where that trail goes north (first picture)

(yes these are CPP's........Cell Phone Photos)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kentucky Camp 12/12-kc09_1.jpg  

Kentucky Camp 12/12-kc09_2.jpg  

b

Tucson, AZ
    Great looking cell shots...Krein was out taking tons of photos, I imagine he will post them when he as some time.

Thank you to everyone that showed up...If you want to ride the singletrack near Kentucky Camp and more heading North toward Colossal Cave, check out the AZ Trail Jamboree on January 9, 2010.

Tucson, AZ
    Pictures available here...thanks again to Scott for the pictures.

Members who have read this thread: 0