Kenda Slant 6 26X2.35 in Arizona Trail Conditions- Mtbr.com
    Boriqua Puneta

Kenda Slant 6 26X2.35 in Arizona Trail Conditions

Sup guys. I just wanted to give you guys my personal experience with these tires (Kenda SLant 6 26X2.35 DTC) in Arizona. The trails that I have used them in the Phoenix area is Dreamy Draw, Cave Creek-Spur Cross and FINS. I also did a trip to Colorado recently with the same tires and rode Buffalo Creek, Centenial Cone, Green Mountain-Zoro, Crested Butte 401 trail. My review is based off performance comparison from different trails and different trail conditions. Why am I posting this in this section? So that you guys can benefit of a review done in trails you ride.

Bike used: 2010 Trek Fuel EX9 sub 25 lbs 120mm travel front and rear
    Mounted converted tubeless with stans rear 30 psi front 28 psi
    rider with gear on 205 lbs

First of all a description of the tire in my words.

The Pros:

The Kenda Slant 6 IS a great combination between the Nevegal and The Small Block 8. It is a fast cross country tire like the Small Block 8 but with way better grip when cornering, more grip and less skidding when climbing, lighter when compared to the exact same width 2.35 as the Small Block 8 and pretty good grip in light mud (for a a cross country tire). The rolling resistance is minimal. These tires fly.

The Cons: This tire does not have the same side knobs as a Nevegal so it wont dig in as hard when cornering. Its is a bit sketchy and nerve wrecking when rocky and loose. Not something that cant be tamed with experience and tecnique but definetly worth noting. These tires will not be as forgiving with bad tecnique like a nobbier tire will. For example cruisin down a trail at 25 mph you might want to slow down sooner on the Slant 6 then you would on a Nevegal before entering a curve or youll wash out easier. Like I said Its tecnique and form that will make the tire shine.

FINS Trail, Dreamy Draw, Cave Creek-Spur Cross: The only problem I had was with the front tires washing out at speed on loose and sandy corners. SOme skidding when climbing but a little shifting of body weight would fix the issue (more then likely bad climbing tecnique on my part). Otherwise pretty good here. I would recommend a slant 6 in the rear and something like a Nevegal in the front or a Nobby Nic which has great grip, low rolling resistance and incredible low weight but I would only use it with snake skin otherwise the side walls wont last.

For Phoenix riding I wouldnt recommend using a Slant 6 in the front. I would only use this combination front and rear if it were cross country application. Use it in the rear and a more nobbier tire in front if you want more of the pedall efficiant side of all mountain.

Now if your going to ride trails in Flagstaff which are similar to the trails in colorado like 401 Crested Butte, Green Mountain and Centennial cone which are hardpack or loose over hardpack I would definetly use the front and rear.

So there you have it folks. I say this tires is the cheaper version of a Schwalbe Racing Ralph Snake Skin at half the cost but heavier. I love it and I definetly recommend it. 4 out of 5 Chiles
    Only type of shuttle I ride....the ambulance!

j.k.livin
    Thanks for the advice! Was going to go with a Slant six in the back and do a nevegal up front. Going with Nevegal front and back

mtbr member
    Does anyone know how the slant six compares to the specialized "Captain" tire? Climbing and cornering are the areas of concern. I'm riding the captain on the rear wheel now, but will soon need to replace it. looking for a bit more traction that rolls well. Is the Kenda slant six the solution?
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

Tange your face
    Jul 2009
    Careful with those tires around rocks. A buddy and I were riding 305 in Prescott and he lost the sidewall in less than a half hour. Granted the shale is murder on tires, but it was a new set of tires. After repairs, he thought it was a decent tire.

Damn shame that Michelin changed the Racer X. That was a hell of a tire.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    thanks

Boriqua Puneta
    "Careful with those tires around rocks. A buddy and I were riding 305 in Prescott and he lost the sidewall in less than a half hour. Granted the shale is murder on tires, but it was a new set of tires. After repairs, he thought it was a decent tire."

Which tires the Slant 6 or the Captains?

CP85Bears:

Instead of using 2 nevegals that in my opinion would be a bit overkill for anything below aggressive all mountain try a nevegal 2.35 in the front (or a schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25 less weight, a tad less grip but better rolling resistance) and a slant 6 2.35 in the rear. This combination will make it for a faster accelerating bike and it saves a bit of rotational weight. Slant 6 2.35 DTC are around 611 grams and nevegal 2.35 DTC are at around 730 grams. Thats 100 grams. Doesnt sound like much but when it comes to rotaional weight 100 grams in savings are huge especial in the rear.

Tange your face
    Jul 2009
    chtorres2

I am talking about the slant 6. It is a great looking tire and plenty wide, it just seems like the compound is a bit on the thin side. Let me clarify that I am not riding the tires, but my bro is. He is a long time mtn biker and knows how to ride. Funny that he mentioned before the ride that he was a little worried going out on Kenda's. He's a bike builder and rides lots of tires and told me that Kenda has had a hard time in the past with rubber compounds. Guess he's right?

Boriqua Puneta
    I had that problem with the normal schwalbe's without the snakeskin or DD. Id tear them up on the first ride. I havent had an issue yet with the kendas but ill post it if I do. Thanks for the info ill be more cautious.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have been riding with the Slant Six for most of this season (2.35 , rear tire, tubeless) and can give some good feedback. Overall I have really liked them, below is the full story (in case it is helpful to anyone). I found this thread by searching for Slant 6 vs The Captain; that is the basis for the following dissertation.

-----------Warning, this is a very long story, hoping it spurs some good discussion -----

Me: 200 lbs with gear on a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR. I ride the Wasatch in northern Utah and Moab in the south. I like to bomb down hills as hard as I can but sometimes find it hard to keep up with my riding buddies on rides covering 2000 - 4000 feet of climbing.

Years back I switched to tubeless and ran Specialized Eskar 2.3 tires front and rear. I liked them quite a bit but had the front tire burp on me once (going uphill !?!?!?) which led to a fall. I had heard good things about the traction of Nevegals and (after the burp) was interested in a UST tire. So I put Nevegal 2.35 UST on front and rear.

This combination has monstrous traction but is very, very slow on climbs due to both the poor rolling resistance of the Nevegal as well as the weight (2.35 UST are 1000g). A guy at the LBS turned me towards the Small Block 8 (SB8) for a rear tire. It was FAST uphill and surely did not have very good traction going downhill. But I tried to make the best of it as I was happy to be faster. In Moab, the 2.35 SB8 actually hooks up really nice with the slickrock and it is high enough volume to run at low pressures well. I had thought I had settled on a good solution.

At the beginning of this season, I was experimenting with how low a pressure I could run my tires and I put a rock right through the center tread of the SB8 bombing down a rough section of trail using about 22psi (by the way this is too low for this tire ) While I was waiting to get a replacement I threw back on the spare UST Nevegal. Sure enough, I hated the climb but the downhill was SO MUCH BETTER due to increased braking and cornering traction!! I knew that my relationship with the SB8 was over.

At this time I just read about the Slant 6, and it allegedly was a compromise between the Nevegal and the SB8. So I ordered a pair. It went on fine and sealed right up. On the first ride I was amazed at how fast it was; it seemed to me just as fast as the SB8. However, on the downhill (fast, tight, hardpack, loose over hardpack) I was seriously disappointed in the traction as I had no control and was sliding all over the place. I dropped the air pressure down a bit and, Voila, they seemed to hook up pretty well. So for the past several months I have been riding Neve (22-23 psi) and Slant Six (26-27 psi) and liking it in general.

To make a long story short, my beloved Stumpjumper had to have its suspension sent back to Fox mid season, so I got a Specialized Epic 29er. It had a Captain 2.2 up front and a Specialized Rampage 1.9 in the back. Bottom line, screamingly fast but a death-trap on the DH because the rear tire was a bald race thing. I let a lot of air out of the tire to improve traction and it did somewhat (still a death trap). However, trying to climb with this air pressure made the bike feel SLOW, almost like I had a Nevegal UST on the back! So the take-home message is that even fast tires become too slow when you drop the air pressure below where the sidewalls can keep from folding as too much energy is now lost in tire deformation. (Duh, but i guess learning things first hand is the way to go)

So I put a Captain 2.0 on the back of the Epic, went tubeless and WOW what a difference! Maybe I was not quite as fast climbing, but I was still very fast. Also, the 2.0 captain seemed to have plenty of traction at 35 psi. In Gooseberry, I was missing some traction trying to climb some slick rock things, so I lowered the pressure with a very scientific several pushes on the valves and it hooked up great. Very impressive for a low volume 2.0! Mind you this was on a 29er which I am sure had something to do with the results.

Then I got my bike back (The 26 Stumpy with a Neve / Slant 6) combination. Went for a ride using my normal pressures. I was climbing much slower than normal (Epic 29er normal by now) but it was a mudfest so of course its going to be slow. On retrospection, I was actually impressed by how much traction the Slant 6 offered during the muddy climbs!

Yesterday I went for a ride again and put 35psi in the slant 6. FAST, FAST, FAST. Probably almost as fast as climbing on that Epic 29er. I turned the bike downhill and almost crashed a few times without any traction in the rear. I let out some pressure and the tires got back most of the traction I was missing. (To be fair they are a bit worn by now). However, when the trail turned uphill, the bike was very sluggish. On the first climb, I left my friends in the dust! Now, with the Slant Six aired down, I had traction but was having trouble keeping up with my friends.

So I am now again looking for a new rear tire to try and optimize the speed I want for the assent with the traction I need on the descent. (Again, I think the Slant 6 has plenty of traction for climbing, just not enough breaking and cornering traction for the DH). Among other thoughts was to put a Captain 2.2 on the rear which led me to this forum.

Lots of information here, I hope it is useful to the next guy searching.

Bottom line: Slant Six is a great tire. It has done its job well in Northern and Southern Utah. Maybe there is a better solution for the rear, if so I am still looking for it.

Boriqua Puneta
    Has Anyone tried the Maxxis Ikons? They are wicked light even with their exo. Can you give us a review?

mtbr member
    I've been riding the Slant 6's here in AZ for a few months and I love these tires (on my 29er). I dont bomb down hills as I just usually ride White tanks, BCT, PMP and a McDowell thrown in the mix from time to time, but I have have great luck with the slant 6's. Now its time to ugrade my 26er tires, I have Schwalbe NN's and they suck. Well, they suck now that the tread is gone in the rear after a few hundred miles. They have Zero, and I mean zero traction now and as I remember they did not have great traction when new, but who knows, been riding my 29er mostly anyway. But I thought about getting the Slant 6's for the 26er but there is one problem with the Slants . . . going tubeless with stans. On the 29er I have went through 3 slant 6 tires and everyone had pin holes in the side walls (from manufacturing) that seem to not want to seal with stans. I mean, I pump the tires up to 40psi shake,shake, shake and as it's sitting flat a pinhole will open up on the side facing up, so I shake that area, and it seals, then re-opens if I re-inflate to 40psi. The damn thing still leaks out of pin holes in the side wall on the latest tire ridden about 4-5 times now. The damn thing just will not seal no matter what I do. Maybe I got a bad batch of stans, because I see their ads where they poke larger diameter rods through the sidewall and they seal up instantly. Who knows. I want a tire with the grip and rolling like the slant 6's but with a leak free sidewall. the search continues !
    Tie two birds together and though they have four wings, they cannot fly!

Fragile - must be Italian
    Quote Originally Posted by tsefreeflow View Post
    I want a tire with the grip and rolling like the slant 6's but with a leak free sidewall. the search continues !

Try the WTB Wolverine 2.2 up front. It's my favorite XC/light AM tire by a mile. They are fast rollers and grip very well at all lean angles. They also seem to do well tubless (mine are on Stans Arches). And they are much more durable than any Kenda product I've ever used.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Thanks. I did some researching reviews on the WTB's you mention and its well known they leak air with stans and typically do not do well running stans tubeless. Dont know if thats true but I dont want to deal with that again like I am with the slant 6's.

Fragile - must be Italian
    Quote Originally Posted by tsefreeflow View Post
    Thanks. I did some researching reviews on the WTB's you mention and its well known they leak air with stans and typically do not do well running stans tubeless. Dont know if thats true but I dont want to deal with that again like I am with the slant 6's.
    Sounds like some mis-information to me. I've had 3 Wolverines mounted on my 29'er w/Stans Arches, and none have leaked air once seated. I have never had any burping issues either.

And I know at least 5 other people who run these tires tubeless on various setups (including ghetto) and nobody has had issues either.

There might be some rim combinations that don't work with the Wolverines. As with any non-UST tires, your mileage may vary. But knowing all the people I do who have had good luck with them, I suggest you give them a try.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Sounds good, just reading reviews on them. Its not the rim seal or the bead I dont believe, its the sidewall leaking air. At least thats what the Slant's are doing. As long as the sidewalls on the WTB's are made without pinholes in them and dont leak, I will give them a try.