Keep it clean- Mtbr.com

Thread: Keep it clean

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Keep it clean

I had to post something as it has bothered me since Saturaday. Although I am probably preaching to the choir.

After being off my bike for a while due to injury and upheaval, I've recently begun riding regularly again. I can't wait for each weekend when I can get out to Pemberton for a ride with my friend. McDowell Mountain Park and specifically Pemberton Trail and the spurs off it are one of my favorite rides. Unfortunately for the past 2 weeks I have found trash on the trail. Someone is tossing their energy gel packs on the trail. Use whatever you have to to get around the trail, but your Mom isn't there to clean up after you. Be considerate and don't litter. It's a privilege to ride out on the preserve.

And on a side note, who is pulling rocks out of the trail? If you want a smooth trail become a roadie.

mtbr member
    its kinda like pooping where you eat. what really gets me is seeing cigarette butts 4 or 5 miles into a trail.
    Hey Ma! Look at this laceration.

mtbr member
    Don't let it get to you. Even though it sucks, it is usually not intentional. A dude may be reaching with a gloved hand to deposit a wrapper into a pocket and accidentally not make it. We should be angry with those who step/ride over it and do nothing. I figure I have dropped something on the trail at some point, so it's not uncommon for me to come in with two or three items I pick up along the way. Even when I Strava I stop-I just use auto pause! lol

Now hikers...I was at T-Bird and ended up hiking behind a lady a rise or two ahead. I picked up two store bought water bottles and a bandana. I caught her at the end and as I was dumping my new finds she walks by and I remarked "Just picking up what you missed back there" in a polite way. The look on her face was the classic "busted" look. The cig butts are intentional for sure...
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    this is a job for Rastafarian trail vigilante,,, Ja Rafschlong

Registered Bike Offender
    I was riding pemberton last winter and came across a weather ballon haha. Jammed it in my rear jersey pocket and took it to the main office. Figured someone might be lookibg for it since it had elextronics attaxhed to it. Yeah the trash is ridiculous. People need to be more careful. The MMP people really like us, and it would suck to ruin that.
    "Grab life by the bars"

mtbr member
    what about white trash? what do we do with that?

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by tmarkos View Post
    what about white trash? what do we do with that?
    bus them into urban trails?
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    bus them into urban trails?
    Good idea! or we can change the little blue bags to giant blue bags.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I use the bigger bulk bottle of Hammer now. Wasnt me unless you found my nasty bottle.

mtbr member
    Careful with the blue bags. I put one in my jersey pocket (unfortunately it was loaded) since I was only two miles from the truck. Didn't realize they were VERY biodegradable, and sweat from my jersey could activate the process. Yeah, that sucked a little....

Meatbomb
    ugh.... I always put them in the mesh of my camelbak.

live long and huck
    I just smash it into the bottom of my shoes, finish my ride, next ride it's all dried out and falls back out sporadically along the trail. Just got to be careful where in the bottom of your shoe, or you won't be able to clip in for sh!t.
    Low and slack.

mtbr member
    Smokers really irritate me. I found some cigarette butts deep on a trail at White Tanks last ride. Used to really notice them when riding my stree bike (motorcycle) to work. Even better when they flip them out the window, embers hitting me. Good thing for gear.

ben

Master Gardener
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    Don't let it get to you. Even though it sucks, it is usually not intentional. A dude may be reaching with a gloved hand to deposit a wrapper into a pocket and accidentally not make it. We should be angry with those who step/ride over it and do nothing. I figure I have dropped something on the trail at some point, so it's not uncommon for me to come in with two or three items I pick up along the way.
    Yeah that ^.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Don't let it get to you. Even though it sucks, it is usually not intentional. A dude may be reaching with a gloved hand to deposit a wrapper into a pocket and accidentally not make it. We should be angry with those who step/ride over it and do nothing. I figure I have dropped something on the trail at some point, so it's not uncommon for me to come in with two or three items I pick up along the way. Even when I Strava I stop-I just use auto pause! lol

Now hikers...I was at T-Bird and ended up hiking behind a lady a rise or two ahead. I picked up two store bought water bottles and a bandana. I caught her at the end and as I was dumping my new finds she walks by and I remarked "Just picking up what you missed back there" in a polite way. The look on her face was the classic "busted" look. The cig butts are intentional for sure...
    I don't mean to be a d!nk... and I hate to single anyone out, but this is too stereotypical to pass up.
    You are basically saying, oh whatever, dropping your trash is excusable, the person that next rides by is responsible for that.
    Really!?.
    The oldest rule in the book is "you pack it in... YOU pack it out"
    To say oh, gee, it's a mistake, now it's your responsibility is pure bull-poo... take damn responsibility for yourself. I personally don't feel it's my responsibility to pick up someone else's saliva-ified sh!t and cart it home.

And that's another thing, Strava... it's for punks... want to prove your mettle, enter a "real" race.
    My bike, Slayer 70

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike H. View Post
    I don't mean to be a d!nk... and I hate to single anyone out, but this is too stereotypical to pass up.
    You are basically saying, oh whatever, dropping your trash is excusable, the person that next rides by is responsible for that.
    Really!?.
    To say oh, gee, it's a mistake, now it's your responsibility is pure bull-poo... take damn responsibility for yourself. I personally don't feel it's my responsibility to pick up someone else's saliva-ified sh!t and cart it home.

And that's another thing, Strava... it's for punks... want to prove your mettle, enter a "real" race.
    That's a cop out. Frankly, people like you are just as bad. No, dropping it in the first place isn't excusable, neither is walking over it.

We used to camp a bit when I was a kid. Before we left, my old man would always make my sister and I police the area, down to cigarette butts. Leave it better than you found it. When you're twelve, you think it's because your old man is a dick. When you're an adult, you realize that he was right. That's one of many reason why young boys need a strong male figure in their life.

I don't want to get all high and mighty, but I was at Bartlett Lake a couple weeks ago on a Monday. The trash people leave at Bartlett really makes Jesus weep. This was my haul from the area I was in:

Ranger bed, full of crap. How much of that was mine? Zero. Absolutely none. There's no way I could have left it though. I'd be just as bad for turning a blind eye. If I did, I could just see the look my old man would give me. I love the land, I care deeply about it. It's not my job to clean up after people, but it is my responsibility, like it or not.

Guys like you need to realize, we're all in this together. If certain people happen to go by and see a pile of trash like that, that's how areas get closed. Bartlett doesn't exist for you to run your boat or for me to fish, that's a privilege. Same goes for the trails we all use. We don't have a right to use them, that's a privilege, and privileges can be taken. Somebody gets tired of seeing trash, or the budget dries up for staff, that's it, there's a gate up, and it's probably not coming down.

If that's okay with you, please, continue to step over, telling us all how it's "not your job." That's not okay with me, so I'll keep doing what's right. I'd hope the answer is the same for most of us.

mtbr member
    Really!?.

I can't even see your arrogance since your ignorance is really in the way. You mean to tell me you have never, ever once in your life dropped something on the trail, accidentally left a tire iron or wrapper when changing a flat, never lost a water bottle on the trail, never left something on the roof of your car and drove away?

MY POINT IN BIG LETTERS SO ITS EASY FOR YOU TO READ WAS,-NOT ALL TRASH ON THE TRAIL IS JUST TOSSED THERE BY AN AHOLE. MORE OFTEN THAN NOT IT IS DROPPED ACCIDENTALLY BY PEOPLE WHO UNLIKE YOU, ARE NOT PERFECT IN EVERY SINGLE DETAIL. GET IT NOW?

And how in the heck can you link Strava users to trash dumpers? Tell you what, if I see you lying on the trail hurt, I'll keep going and leave you there since you shouldn't have dropped there anyway. (Makes just as much sense as your comparison) Cheers buddy-go ride your bike and get a handle on that mis-directed anger.

mtbr member
    I can't even see your arrogance since your ignorance is really in the way. You mean to tell me you have never, ever once in your life dropped something on the trail, accidentally left a tire iron or wrapper when changing a flat, never lost a water bottle on the trail, never left something on the roof of your car and drove away?

MY POINT IN BIG LETTERS SO ITS EASY FOR YOU TO READ WAS,-NOT ALL TRASH ON THE TRAIL IS JUST TOSSED THERE BY AN AHOLE. MORE OFTEN THAN NOT IT IS DROPPED ACCIDENTALLY BY PEOPLE WHO UNLIKE YOU, ARE NOT PERFECT IN EVERY SINGLE DETAIL. GET IT NOW?

And how in the heck can you link Strava users to trash dumpers? Tell you what, if I see you lying on the trail hurt, I'll keep going and leave you there since you shouldn't have dropped there anyway. (Makes just as much sense as your comparison) Cheers buddy-go ride your bike and get a handle on that mis-directed anger.
    Guys, don't' get sucked in. It's a new and improved MTBR. Turn the other cheek.. I'm starting to learn.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Black and Sticky
    Quote Originally Posted by armourbl View Post
    Smokers really irritate me. I found some cigarette butts deep on a trail at White Tanks last ride. Used to really notice them when riding my stree bike (motorcycle) to work. Even better when they flip them out the window, embers hitting me. Good thing for gear.
    ben
    Yeah, tossing cigarettes out the car window drives me nuts. It's trashy plus major fire hazard here in AZ. I was following a Benz with CA plates on Central this week and the driver lowers his window and drops a lit cigarette onto the pavement. What universe do these people come from where it is okay to duly throw a lit cigarette out a car window? I layed on my horn right behind him for about a quarter mile. Some day I'll probably get my butt kicked doing that, not sure what else to do. Can these people be reported and cited? I know there is not much chance starting a fire in front of AJ's on Central, but there is no doubt this idiot would have done same thing out in the country too. This is probably my #1 pet peeve.

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    Guys, don't' get sucked in. It's a new and improved MTBR. Turn the other cheek.. I'm starting to learn.

I gave him good rep points right afterward though...seriously.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    Traildoc got banned?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Oh yes I have... and I've rode/drove back to get my junk, and if anything is in a wrapper, I stop to consume and pack the junk out in a zipperd pocket. See, I don't need to eat and ride at the same time because I know I'm not in a race. When I did race, we all ate in the feed zone, and everything was handed to us already unwrapped... gel packs had not been invented.
    Now I will admitt, once I thought I left a stainless steel coffee mug on the trail (jeeping) but months later found it under the passengers seat... wheuph. So, I almost did leave junk once, but thankfully I was mistaken.

Lets just say when you use the word accidental, I use the word irresponsible.
    Now... do you get that?

Nowhere did I say Strava users are trash dumpers, I simply said Strava is for punks
    I have no idea what stopping for a hurt rider has to do with dumping trash, but i guess it says a lot about someone who would be unwilling to help a hurt rider over a difference of opinion. By the way, As you pass on by, please make an effort to not accidentially throw your trash on me.

In the end, I read your post and what I get out of it is, if it's an accident it's ok, and I do not believe that it being an accident is an excuse in any manner.
    My bike, Slayer 70

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    That's a cop out. Frankly, people like you are just as bad. No, dropping it in the first place isn't excusable, neither is walking over it.

We used to camp a bit when I was a kid. Before we left, my old man would always make my sister and I police the area, down to cigarette butts. Leave it better than you found it. When you're twelve, you think it's because your old man is a dick. When you're an adult, you realize that he was right. That's one of many reason why young boys need a strong male figure in their life.

I don't want to get all high and mighty, but I was at Bartlett Lake a couple weeks ago on a Monday. The trash people leave at Bartlett really makes Jesus weep. This was my haul from the area I was in:

Ranger bed, full of crap. How much of that was mine? Zero. Absolutely none. There's no way I could have left it though. I'd be just as bad for turning a blind eye. If I did, I could just see the look my old man would give me. I love the land, I care deeply about it. It's not my job to clean up after people, but it is my responsibility, like it or not.

Guys like you need to realize, we're all in this together. If certain people happen to go by and see a pile of trash like that, that's how areas get closed. Bartlett doesn't exist for you to run your boat or for me to fish, that's a privilege. Same goes for the trails we all use. We don't have a right to use them, that's a privilege, and privileges can be taken. Somebody gets tired of seeing trash, or the budget dries up for staff, that's it, there's a gate up, and it's probably not coming down.

If that's okay with you, please, continue to step over, telling us all how it's "not your job." That's not okay with me, so I'll keep doing what's right. I'd hope the answer is the same for most of us.
    I see your point.
    Bagging crap up and carting it out in a pickup bed is admirable, I have done the same when camping and jeeping, although I tie the bags of refuse to the roof as I have no bed.
    I've never carried a trash bag in my camelback to pick others trash up while mtn biking... and it seems just a little unhealthy to be putting garbage of unknown origins into the same container I carry food. Yuck...
    What method do you use?
    My bike, Slayer 70

Downhill Spokesmodel
    Quote Originally Posted by Bituman View Post
    Yeah, tossing cigarettes out the car window drives me nuts. It's trashy plus major fire hazard here in AZ. I was following a Benz with CA plates on Central this week and the driver lowers his window and drops a lit cigarette onto the pavement. What universe do these people come from where it is okay to duly throw a lit cigarette out a car window? I layed on my horn right behind him for about a quarter mile. Some day I'll probably get my butt kicked doing that, not sure what else to do. Can these people be reported and cited? I know there is not much chance starting a fire in front of AJ's on Central, but there is no doubt this idiot would have done same thing out in the country too. This is probably my #1 pet peeve.

Bob
    I have been tempted at times when I see these idiots throw their butts out, to put down the sidestand of my bike, pick up the butt and flick it back in their vehicle while saying "I think you dropped something".
    Now I DRIVE the short bus!!

Help increase ShortBus' rep

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by armourbl View Post
    Smokers really irritate me. I found some cigarette butts deep on a trail at White Tanks last ride. Used to really notice them when riding my stree bike (motorcycle) to work. Even better when they flip them out the window, embers hitting me.
    Smokers are losers and slobs. Period. Not sure why anyone would expect anything good from them.

Quote Originally Posted by ShortBusJames View Post
    I have been tempted at times when I see these idiots throw their butts out, to put down the sidestand of my bike, pick up the butt and flick it back in their vehicle while saying "I think you dropped something".
    You and me both! That might even be worth the ass beating you could possibly receive for doing it

mtbr member
    Oh yes I have... and I've rode/drove back to get my junk, and if anything is in a wrapper, I stop to consume and pack the junk out in a zipperd pocket. See, I don't need to eat and ride at the same time because I know I'm not in a race. When I did race, we all ate in the feed zone, and everything was handed to us already unwrapped... gel packs had not been invented.
    Now I will admitt, once I thought I left a stainless steel coffee mug on the trail (jeeping) but months later found it under the passengers seat... wheuph. So, I almost did leave junk once, but thankfully I was mistaken.

Lets just say when you use the word accidental, I use the word irresponsible.
    Now... do you get that?

Nowhere did I say Strava users are trash dumpers, I simply said Strava is for punks
    I have no idea what stopping for a hurt rider has to do with dumping trash, but i guess it says a lot about someone who would be unwilling to help a hurt rider over a difference of opinion. By the way, As you pass on by, please make an effort to not accidentially throw your trash on me.

In the end, I read your post and what I get out of it is, if it's an accident it's ok, and I do not believe that it being an accident is an excuse in any manner.
    That's why I gave you some good rep points, because you sir, are perfect! Besides, why would I stop to help someone? I mean what if they are sweaty, or heavens forbid bleeding? YUCK! I mean I eat with my gloves on sometimes and almost always with bare hands....

Master Gardener

Totally, dewd. Hopefully Fuzzy Mylne and Dejay Birtch are reading this, cuz those two cats need to check themselves and find a race or two to enter to prove their mettle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velokid1 View Post
    Totally, dewd. Hopefully Fuzzy Mylne and Dejay Birtch are reading this, cuz those two cats need to check themselves and find a race or two to enter to prove their mettle.
    Would getting fourth in the state in my class be a real race to prove my mettle?

mtbr member
    I had a friend who flicked a lit butt out the window once. It happened to land on a motorcycle cop. She got arrested and they considered it (and I am not kidding) a felony. She was able to have the charge reduced (which is good for her line of work), but she still had a deserved hefty punishment. She then learned how to 'field strip' her butts, and eventually quit the bad habit.
    Some people are just not aware of the impact a little litter can have until they learn the hard way. Others just have common sense.

mtbr member
    That's why I gave you some good rep points, because you sir, are perfect! Besides, why would I stop to help someone? I mean what if they are sweaty, or heavens forbid bleeding? YUCK! I mean I eat with my gloves on sometimes and almost always with bare hands....

Then cool guy gives me bad rep and in the comment says "dick" (phallus)

Thanks buddy!

Meatbomb
    How do you see comments and who has given you points? I've ever tried to figure it out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    How do you see comments and who has given you points? I've ever tried to figure it out.
    Check out your account.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    I clicked on "My Account" then scrolled down-I had never scrolled down so I had no idea the comments etc where there either.

As far as "who", it doesn't show that, which allows sissies to rip anon. That's why I took to adding my screen name to the comments when I give a kudos. If you click on the kudo/neg rep it will take you to the post commented on. Since I tend to only piss people off in singles, it's pretty easy to figure out who did it for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    cstem.,
    I did not give or take rep points anywhere, and certainly did not leave any comments.
    I've read many many of your posts in the last several years.
    I did single out your post, and in hindsight it was poor judgment. I apologize for making it personal.
    My bike, Slayer 70

mtbr member
    I'm gonna neg every single one of you just for the LULZ.

Does anybody really care about a green bar? I don't care if you're the biggest troll ever, if you're right, you're right. Having a "reputation" doesn't make you more or less right. That even goes for Traildoc, bless his heart.

mtbr member
    cstem.,
    I did not give or take rep points anywhere, and certainly did not leave any comments.
    I've read many many of your posts in the last several years.
    I did single out your post, and in hindsight it was poor judgment. I apologize for making it personal.

Didn't say it was you buddy- and E- I could care less about my rep- means nothing to me. As long as my bike still likes me, thats all that matters! (Plus if I cared it would probably be a long red line-LOL).

BTW- when I get back from my trip, I want to take my truck out to BCT and clean up some illegal shooter areas (too close to a maintained roadway). I'll post up a reminder or if you really want to go PM me so I remember you. Figure go really early and ride, then drive in and pick up some junk!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortBusJames View Post
    I did just this to a guy a few months ago. Welll almost just this. He and a buddy were eating on the front patio of a bagel shop. As I pulled up in my car, he put the butt out on the sole of his shoe, than flicked the butt down the covered sidewalk. I picked it up, put on their table and told him "Looks like you dropped something." and kept walking without breaking stride. I remember so well because his eyes got to be the size of dinner plates. I'd like to think he didn't just brush it off the table when I went into the store.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Didn't say it was you buddy- and E- I could care less about my rep- means nothing to me. As long as my bike still likes me, thats all that matters! (Plus if I cared it would probably be a long red line-LOL).

BTW- when I get back from my trip, I want to take my truck out to BCT and clean up some illegal shooter areas (too close to a maintained roadway). I'll post up a reminder or if you really want to go PM me so I remember you. Figure go really early and ride, then drive in and pick up some junk!
    After this screw ball of a dialogue it'd be nice to meet in person and have a laugh over it.
    I've never ridden out at BCT, and am a mere weekend warrior, so if you don't mind going slow or waiting at trail junctions, I'd take you up on it.
    My bike, Slayer 70

mtbr member
    I'll go out with you guys and do a clean up on BCT. I'll bring some guns. Shoot some trash, ride some bikes, clean up the trash we just shot. 'Merica! F Yeah!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    I'll go out with you guys and do a clean up on BCT. I'll bring some guns. Shoot some trash, ride some bikes, clean up the trash we just shot. 'Merica! F Yeah!
    I don't have any guns, but will chip in for ammo if you let me crack off some rounds!

mtbr member
    I don't have any guns, but will chip in for ammo if you let me crack off some rounds!
    Hell yeah! When are you back in town?

No Clue Crew
    Then cool guy gives me bad rep and in the comment says "dick" (phallus)

Thanks buddy!
    Gotta learn not to mess with these E-Thugs! They will E-mess you up. You might start riding like me...

mtbr member
    August 1st! Thats why I asked for the PM's- thats a long time to remember!

mtbr member
    August 1st! Thats why I asked for the PM's- thats a long time to remember!
    Okay. Sent.

Members who have read this thread: 0