Javelina spotting- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Javelina spotting

Just a heads up. Did a night ride on DC last night and ran into about 6 or 7 Javelina. Don't know the trail too well but it was on the loop offshoot just past marker 46 that takes you south away from the mountain. Rode right thru the middle of them splitting them up into two groups. Kinda pissed them off as they started barking or growling or whatever that noise is they make as I sat there eyeballing them.

They stink too!

How much further ???
    They stink??? What a bunch of pigs!!!
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have lived here for 3 months now and I still haven't seen one. I think they are fake.

mtbr member
    Taste like chicken!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I havn't seen any javelinas out there yet but I have come across a few cyotes. On Monday, about 7:30 AM, I had one that was directly in front of me trotting down the trail. I was hootin and hollarin at him and he just kept trottin along without a care that I was behind him. It was on the DC heading toward the SM Saddle, just after the last larger downhill section.

President Skroob
    Jan 2006
    I have seen a massive pack at the tank at DC on run off nights. Last time I saw them was a few years ago but there must have been 20-30 there.

windrider

for the record...

Douger 1's humor not withstanding, Javelinas are not pigs. They are rodents- collared peccaries to be exact- and ornery as they say where I grew up. I had some chase me when I was a kid for some unknown reason. The word is don't get between a female and her offspring and with the males you just never know. I'm glad to hear it was just an encounter.

We want pictures next time though.
    BRM

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    Quote Originally Posted by GueroAZ View Post
    Last time I saw them was a few years ago but there must have been 20-30 there.
    Wasn't that the last time you rode a bike? call me, I have a 3 hour ride this Saturday in Prescott. bring the SS.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

E-bikes are Mountain Mopeds

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrigmig View Post
    Douger 1's humor not withstanding, Javelinas are not pigs. They are rodents- collared peccaries to be exact- and ornery as they say where I grew up. I had some chase me when I was a kid for some unknown reason. The word is don't get between a female and her offspring and with the males you just never know. I'm glad to hear it was just an encounter.

You're right that they're not pigs - they're more related to hippos. But they're not even close to being rodents.

Sorry - don't know what I'm doing in this forum other than I think I was hoping for javelina pics.

How much further ???

A peccary (plural peccaries; also javelina and skunk pig; Portuguese javali and Spanish jabalí, sajino or pecarí) is a medium-sized mammal of the family Tayassuidae, or New World Pigs. Peccaries are members of the artiodactyl suborder Suina, as are the pig family (Suidae) and possibly the hippopotamus family (Hippopotamidae).

FTW !!!!!
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Because pictures are always a bonus!
    From southern AZ, not South mtn.

Javelina spotting-3pigs.jpg

Javelina spotting-javelina-2.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    A peccary (plural peccaries; also javelina and skunk pig; Portuguese javali and Spanish jabalí, sajino or pecarí) is a medium-sized mammal of the family Tayassuidae, or New World Pigs. Peccaries are members of the artiodactyl suborder Suina, as are the pig family (Suidae) and possibly the hippopotamus family (Hippopotamidae).

FTW !!!!!
    Wait....you have Google, too? Mother....

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    So, do they still make bacon even though they aren't pigs?

windrider

no google/ bad synapse=

Quote Originally Posted by PhxChem View Post
    My memory (both good for the name from the Phoenix Zoo this spring with my son and bad for the wrong taxonomy) linked them to South America's capybarras. So, it has been a year or two since this has happened--- but my mistake. Too much Nat Geo/Disco Chan/An Plan viewing or something.

Thanks for the edumacation.
    BRM

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    capybaras are rodents,, and much cuter.,, theres a lady in texas that has a pet one named caplan,, she has a separate swimming pool for it cause they will only poop in water...

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by PhxChem View Post
    Yeah and this thing called the internet. Its pretty sweet. Check it out sometime.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Wilbur was checkin out Hawes.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Javelina spotting-img_2503.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have been night riding alot at DC and I am seeing javelina almost every time I ride. I almost ran into one coming up a hill - it was standing on the trail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JTBAZ View Post
    I have been night riding alot at DC and I am seeing javelina almost every time I ride. I almost ran into one coming up a hill - it was standing on the trail.
    It didn't yield? Typical Javelina.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    there is a whole pack of them living in the densely forested wash area at the red mountain ranch golf course. they come up to viewmont to nibble on the roadside cactus every evening when the sprinklers go on around 7pm. we saw at least 6 of them at once. occasionally one will cross north of viewmont to watch some free cable tv

Photobucket

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 28/29 WIT View Post
    Taste like chicken!
    Ehh, it's okay. But the deer. Now they're tasty.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Javelina View Post
    Wilbur was checkin out Hawes.....

Wait...your handle is Javelina...and you're out taking pics of javelina? This is getting a little weird.

I should have chosen "boobs" for my handle.

Big B's Trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy29er View Post
    It didn't yield? Typical Javelina.
    Do horses yeild to Javelinas?
    And were do hikers and Javelinas stand in the yield of things?
    I dig dirt!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    There are lots of them around Fountain Hills, they are on and around the hiking trails, out on the indian reservation, in my front yard at night ........

They live in the arroyos on the low side of Saguaro and don't like the neighbourhood dogs!

Eroding into the trail
    Quote Originally Posted by idaz View Post
    Because pictures are always a bonus!
    From southern AZ, not South mtn.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3pigs.jpg 
Views:	1392 
Size:	218.3 KB 
ID:	639221

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Javelina 2.jpg 
Views:	4452 
Size:	211.6 KB 
ID:	639222

Southern Arizona, huh!
    Do those piggies have papers or are they illegals?

mtbr member

I've yet to hear of a javalina attacking without any reason. I've seen people try to pet babies, or get close and get chased down a little bit. The outcome if they catch you isn't good. They're not the smartest animals (who'd take a face full of prickly pear needles for a meal?) and they're blind as a bat so they tend to be a little bit jumpy. As far as tenaciousness goes, they'll stand their ground. They'll run off a mountain lion...watch!
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado