Break it, Fix it, Ride it

Its a Ripsey Weekend

Looks like Freeskier and I are taking on Ripsey this weekend. I know some others have shown interest, and now's the time to jump on it! Temps in Kelvin on Sunday are going to be partly cloudy and about 65 degrees. We're working on a 34 mile loop, with some AZT options to the north if we've any juice left and feel like doing some more exploring. We're navigating by gps, neither of us has been out there, the route was hacked together from pieces of other maps, and a small bit of the map was even drawn in. No guarantees, but only for adventure (and probably getting a little lost). Leaving early, 5:30-6am Sunday. On the trail for 7+ hours I'm guessing, at least. Probably home after 5pm. Route is 34 miles with 6400ft of climbing. Pace is steady, with some time to take pics. Feel free to join, and plan accordingly.

Necessary stoke can be found at Chad's blog and Scott's Diary.

The Goods. We'll focus on the loop first (CCW), then think about anything to the north. Maybe at least scope out a river crossing.

Profile:

3D for good measure:
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Sweet stuff I was just up that way. Several times last month actually. The new ST on the S side of the river is pretty sweet.

The north side is also good but a pain to get to at this time. Crossing at the RR bridge works good but crossing at the car bridge adds more riding on the tracks that got old. It's possible to do a loop by following the Gila Ramble course to the well and then head out east to the highway. Once you hit the highway it's all down hill to Kelvin.

Can't tell for sure but it looks like you plan to park at the bridge. That would be best IMO.

Enjoy.
    Singin' I love hike a bike!!!

Rhino
    By far my most favorite section is the section north of the Gila at the railroad bridge. AZtrip will know it's name.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanseeds
    By far my most favorite section is the section north of the Gila at the railroad bridge. AZtrip will know it's name.
    White Canyon

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit
    Looks like Freeskier and I are taking on Ripsey this weekend. I know some others have shown interest, and now's the time to jump on it! Temps in Kelvin on Sunday are going to be partly cloudy and about 65 degrees. We're working on a 34 mile loop, with some AZT options to the north if we've any juice left and feel like doing some more exploring. We're navigating by gps, neither of us has been out there, the route was hacked together from pieces of other maps, and a small bit of the map was even drawn in. No guarantees, but only for adventure (and probably getting a little lost). Leaving early, 5:30-6am Sunday. On the trail for 7+ hours I'm guessing, at least. Probably home after 5pm. Route is 34 miles with 6400ft of climbing. Pace is steady, with some time to take pics. Feel free to join, and plan accordingly.

Necessary stoke can be found at Chad's blog and Scott's Diary.
    7 hours is a pretty chilled pace, I'd probably guess you could do it in 5-6 hours. You will see plenty of tracks if you can do it before it rains, Lee, Scott and I were just up there on Sunday.

Have a great ride and post up some pics!

Quote Originally Posted by AZTtripper
    The north side is also good but a pain to get to at this time. Crossing at the RR bridge works good but crossing at the car bridge adds more riding on the tracks that got old. It's possible to do a loop by following the Gila Ramble course to the well and then head out east to the highway. Once you hit the highway it's all down hill to Kelvin.

Can't tell for sure but it looks like you plan to park at the bridge. That would be best IMO.

Enjoy.
    I mapped out that route you're talking about as well (along with about 9 other ones). That would make a pretty sweet figure 8 route in combination with the Ripsey Loop. Is it best to do the trail then road, or road then trail? We thought it might be a bit long for this first recon ride. I was also thinking adding an an out-n-back to Area 52, but the time to climb back out would probably eat up gobs of time, I'm guessing.

Is it sketchy crossing the RR bridge or pretty manageable?

Ever try crossing at Cochran, a little further west? Looks like a jeep road goes through there. That would make for an even larger loop too.

Parking at the bridge/river per Scott's advice. Get some more of that AZT that way.

Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    7 hours is a pretty chilled pace, I'd probably guess you could do it in 5-6 hours. You will see plenty of tracks if you can do it before it rains, Lee, Scott and I were just up there on Sunday.

Have a great ride and post up some pics!
    5-6 hours sounds great, might leave some time to explore a bit to the north. But again, we've been known to take lots of pics and a PB&J stop or two. Looks like rain on Saturday out there, so we might miss out on the tracks. Pics will be incoming!

Rhino
    I mapped out that route you're talking about as well (along with about 9 other ones). That would make a pretty sweet figure 8 route in combination with the Ripsey Loop. Is it best to do the trail then road, or road then trail? We thought it might be a bit long for this first recon ride. I was also thinking adding an an out-n-back to Area 52, but the time to climb back out would probably eat up gobs of time, I'm guessing.

Is it sketchy crossing the RR bridge or pretty manageable?

Ever try crossing at Cochran, a little further west? Looks like a jeep road goes through there. That would make for an even larger loop too.

Parking at the bridge/river per Scott's advice. Get some more of that AZT that way.
    I didn't find riding the RR tracks to be too bad, but I find RR tracks and bridges intriguing. You will question weather to ride outside the sleepers, or right down the middle between the rails on top of the sleepers. I know an idiot on a rigid SS and he didn't complain too much, but it wasn't very fast.

mtbr member
    I would say crossing at the RR bridge is better as there is lest time on the tracks. Train only runs twice each day. We rode past Cochran didn't really look at it though. Some quad riders said it was too deep for them but that's not much. Water looks a little high http://waterdata.usgs.gov/az/nwis/uv...cd=00065,00060 if it were say 100cfs I would go for it.

Once the White Canyon is finished and you can ride all the way from the Kelvin Bridge to Picket Post or vise versa it's going to be one hell of a ride.

As for the other loop road or trail first it's hard to say I have only done the trail first. But I could see doing the road first then the walking in the wash would be down hill as would the riding in the main wash down to the trail. The trail is really well graded so it's good either way I should think. If I were up there just to do that loop I would park at the Kelvin Bridge. Then ride up the high way drop down to the Well, then walk down the wash (we saw tread marks sick rock crawling) then there's an up and over jeep road, then down a rideable wash, then the trail to the RR bridge, cross to the south then you could ride the nice ST on the south side as well. By next year the trail should be all done on the north and we can skip the RR PITA.

Quote Originally Posted by AZTtripper
    Once the White Canyon is finished and you can ride all the way from the Kelvin Bridge to Picket Post or vise versa it's going to be one hell of a ride.
    Nice. So this means that the White Canyon section is going to bypass the Wilderness to connect to Picket Post? I thought the Wilderness forced bikes to head over towards Box Canyon after about 12 miles south from the 60. That would be pretty sweet though. Picket Post is sooo good, and to ride that all they way down to Kelvin......

Tucson, AZ

mtbr member
    Nice. So this means that the White Canyon section is going to bypass the Wilderness to connect to Picket Post? I thought the Wilderness forced bikes to head over towards Box Canyon after about 12 miles south from the 60. That would be pretty sweet though. Picket Post is sooo good, and to ride that all they way down to Kelvin......
    That's the plan and yep it's gonna be sweet. The current route in the White Canyon Wilderness forces bikes to go all the way to Box for legal route. The current route is also a no go for horses not for legal reason obviously but it's just too rugged.

The trail south of Picket Post sure is nice as is the stuff on the north side of the river. BLM style construction just like Black Canyon. They have kind of a funny way of looking at trail lay out. As long as the average grade is 8% they are happy. So any time they have to make a steep run up to gain some elevation they make up for it by putting in a flatter section.

I think that PP to Kelvin will be world class when finished. I was up that way a couple of years ago helping with lay out (south of where the trail ends now) and it is truly beautiful up there.

This years AZT 300 is skipping the RR tracks but going to the Well and then over to Box via Martinez Canyon. Heading north from Cochran on one of the coolest jeep trails I have ever seen.

sprocket
    good stuff!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Its a Ripsey Weekend-aa.jpg  

Its a Ripsey Weekend-bb.jpg  

Its a Ripsey Weekend-cc.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice looks like you guys picked the perfect day to be up that way.

Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly
    good stuff!
    Agreed. Great day to be out there too. Ripsey sure is a treat. The fog in the morning was pretty wild too. Got a good 34 miles with 6000ft vert. Almost a quad bypass. The route worked well. Got 18 more miles of the AZT under my belt. Pics up soon.

Members who have read this thread: 0