Iron Horse Bikes info please.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Iron Horse Bikes info please.

Im new to the sport and looking to upgrade to a better bike and was just wondering if there are any Iron Horse dealers in the Tucson area. I have tried looking on ironhorsebikes.com but looks like site is being worked on, very basic. Ty in advance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Nvm, I found a dealer locator. Performance cylce. Anyone have any xp with them?

XC Geek
    I've bought a bunch of parts from Performance, Nashbar and Supergo (all were under the same ownership at one time) and I've never had a problem, but I've never purchase a complete bike from them. As with any bike shop make sure it fits correctly and have anything you what changed out (stem, seat, bars, etc.) taken care of before you take the bike. Also verify they'll tune it up for free a few times and you'll be good to go.
    I should be doing something more productive with my time!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Just an FYI, if you're looking at an Iron Horse Azure, I’ve notice discrepancy in the 2005 vs. 2006 Azure model.

I've notice that the Performance LBS around here sell in "their shops & local sales catalog" the 2006 Iron Horse Azure but it actually has the same color and same parts(fork, derailleur, rear shock, brakes) as the 2005 Azure Iron Horse website list.

The bike they sell on-line (Performance Website and NOT in there local stores), is different than the ones in their shops and the parts/color match up with what is on the Iron Horse website for the 2006 Azure.

I've called Performance about this and was told that the LBS ones are "retail only" and they couldn't verify the actually year!!!
    I’m guessing that this is a way for them to get around their “price matching” policy since the 2005 Azure can be had cheaper on-line someplace else!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I went to a dif bike store today and asked about the Performance bike store, they had nothing good to say about them. But bias was def in play.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I've never had a problem with Performance. I know they are kind of perceived as the evil empire by some, but don't let that stop you if they have a bike you want for a price you want to pay. They treat me better than most of the LBS I've been to.

Low speed, High Drag
    I bought my wife's Iron horse, from Performance, last fall. We got a good deal on it, end of something sale, and she's very happy with it, except for the fact the fork is a total piece of crap.

Here's what I learned, buying from Performance.

Look the bike over very carefully, and ride it around a bit. The first bike we looked at, had a bent rear brake rotor. Salesman says it's normal. Uh no. We had 'em go get us another bike from the back.

Their bike set-up is terrible. When we got home, I re-adjusted everything, and made sure everything was tight. It wasn't when we left the store, after they made us wait for half an hour, for a "mandatory" bike set-up.

Their flat sealant they sell, is worthless. Don't buy it. We didn't even get on a trail, and the bike had a flat. Put in Slime tubes, and we're good to go.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thats sucky. I dont want to buy a bike and take it to another shop right after for it to get fixed and I dont know alot about bikes so i dont want to get screwed over.

Low speed, High Drag
    Well, if you're close to their store, just take it back there. We live way out in Queen Creek, so going back, wasn't really an option. to their defense, the store was very busy, and they were having some huge sale. They must've sold at least 7 or 8 bikes while we were buying ours.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbluth
    Thats sucky. I dont want to buy a bike and take it to another shop right after for it to get fixed and I dont know alot about bikes so i dont want to get screwed over.
    The one in Scottsdale has always been good. As advised don't waste your money on their sealant though. Make sure you check their online sale prices and use the additional 10% off coupon. Also like REI you get points on each purchase so become a member for twenty bucks first. Pretty sure you get one year of free adjustment.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/sub_cat.cfm

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    hmn. well im going to wait for the 2007 models to come in. Anyone know the MSRP on the IH Sachem 5.0 or where you can find it? The lady i talked to on the phone had no idea what the prices or when the bikes were arriving when i called. = /

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbluth
    hmn. Anyone know the MSRP on the IH Sachem 5.0 or where you can find it?
    No did you try 411?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    edit.
    Last edited by Jbluth; 10-23-2006 at 01:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Just kidding. Try posting your question here in the Ironhorse forum.

http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40
    Last edited by broncbuster; 10-23-2006 at 02:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    haaaaa,im going to edit my post now so i dont look so dumb.

Members who have read this thread: 0