Elitest thrill junkie

Interest in a Williams ride?

Anyone interested in doing a Bill Williams (Benham/BW Trail) ride sometime in the next few weeks? Thinking about trying to get some people up there to show off what a great ride it is. It's not long (milege), but it's sweet, and if partiest are interested, maybe a shuttle at the end to cap it off?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Anyone interested in doing a Bill Williams (Benham/BW Trail) ride sometime in the next few weeks? Thinking about trying to get some people up there to show off what a great ride it is. It's not long (milege), but it's sweet, and if partiest are interested, maybe a shuttle at the end to cap it off?
    Benham has about 10 small trees down as of yesterday; BW is perfect, only the built up a few switchback waterbars that make it tough to clean (the first 2-3 are like that), now downed trees and the singletrack is ripping fast.

The combo of Benham-Bill Williams is one of my favorite rides in northern Arizona.

My other ride is your mom
    I'd be down for that.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Thanks Chad.

If there's enough interest, maybe this Sat, if not, then next Sat.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jayem; 06-10-2010 at 12:52 PM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

"Coffee is for closers."
    I've not ridden in the Williams area yet, would love to. This Sat is the mtb/blues festival in Strawberry, btw.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'd be interested in going. Sounds fun.

Trail Monger
    It looks like Prescott. Where is Williams?

mtbr member
    Did Bill Williams on Memorial Day, was quite a few downed trees, made it about 3/4 of the way up before I decided to stop and clear some trees instead. Spend about 4-5 hours Monday with 2 rangers clearing some of the downed stuff, it's alot better than it was. My route is probably a little different than the one you guys take, because I'm a Williams local and ride straight from my house

And this is where I stopped.....

One of my favorite rides around here next to Sycamore.

Elitest thrill junkie
    The riding is actually mostly like Flag. Williams is about an hour north of Prescott, or 20 min west of Flagstaff.

So anyone want to do this on Sat?

banned
    Sep 2007
    Gonna be cold, with that weather front blowing through?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Naw, 60 degees ain't cold, it's perfect! But I think I'll hold off till next weekend on this to get more people interested.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I would be up for it. I have been thinking about getting up there anytime, might as well join you. Next Sat should work for me.

COLD... ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME. It is June in AZ. I am thinking about heading to Flag to seek out the cold!

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by chucksxt
    Did Bill Williams on Memorial Day
    it takes all i can muster not to fire back with a juvenile retort for this...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    What are your plans for meet time, place, ride distance, and pace? Assuming this will be on for this Sat now.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Ok, well I'd probably prefer 9am meeting, but if there are enough votes for 930 or 10 I could probably go with that. Meeting spot is pretty easy to find. The forest-service station in Williams is off of the 1st exit in Williams if you are comming from the West, or it's the last exit if you are comming from the East. You make a turn onto W. Old Route 66 next to the gas station, and this road parallels the highway for only about a quarter mile. The forest service station is a left hand turn (S. Clover Rd according to maps), pretty easy to see and hard to mistake for anything else. This is kind of a forest-service training center with many buildings and such, but it also has a trailhead. When you go into this area, stay to the left at the first Y, the trailhead is just a few hundred feet ahead then. It's dead easy to find.

The plan is to ride on some trails into the City of Williams, then out on old Perkinsville Rd to the Behnam trailhead. I've explored other routes that don't involve as much road, but they tend to involve more hike-a-bike. Anyways, it's absolutely beautifull up there moving from meadow-area to meadow-area. After a mile or two of trail, and maybe 5 miles of road, you get to the trailhead. Then the grind begins, at first it's pretty level with some ups and downs, and then it just goes UP and doesn't let up untill the very top. It's a fun grind though with breathtaking scenery and lots of fun switchbacks. This is a granny-gear-grind for most people, but the fact that it doesn't let up is good IMO, you just get into a groove.

When you reach the top, it's a few hundred feet up the access road to Bill Williams Trail. For extra fun we can go to the lookout at the top, another half mile maybe on the access road. Then we go DOWN Bill Williams Trail, which is basically all downhill except for about a 200' section. Steep at the top, rocky and chunky at the bottom. It's not as crazy as national or anything, but it's kind of national-like with lots of little rocks to fly off of on the lower part of the trail.

I'd estimate at least 3hrs for this loop, maybe a bit more with breaks. It's very short milege wise, but effort-wise you should plan for at least this long. This ride has great payoff down the BW trail.

Depending on the time though, and if everyone is game, we could do a shuttle-run down BW trail by heading up the access road to the top. That might be a fun way to cap-off the day, but it'll just depend on how people feel. There's a pretty good mexican place downtown in Williams too.

J

Shred...it's the new drug
    Shuttle BW...now you're talking!

Elitest thrill junkie
    bump

gravity challenged
    May 2009
    Sounds like a great time, would sign up if I even remotely thought I could hang with you guys on the climb... Unfortunately I believe I would be too much of a boat anchor for a fast group. Thanks for the trail info, will likely give it a try at my pace sometime this summer.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I definietly wasn't planning on making it a "fast" pace on the way up, it's more about simply "surviving" and being able to continue riding, which is challenging. I'm not going to say it's an easy climb, but I wasn't planning on trying to race to the top.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    So 9am then? I haven't heard a time discussed lately. It doesn't matter to me. How many people are we expecting?

Elitest thrill junkie
    I dunno, I got a couple maybes on FB, even if it's just a couple, it's still a fun ride, and a smaller group is easier to manage anyway. The fire is kind of "upstream" of Williams, so I don't forsee it being a problem.

Edit, just checked outside (we can see BW Mountain from here). It looks great.

9am would be good IMO.

James

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Jayem, PM'd you. Are you still planning on going this morning?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Great ride this morning! Holy switchbacks! Hope I didn't hold you up too much Jayem.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotth72
    Jayem, PM'd you. Are you still planning on going this morning?
    We were there, sorry I couldn't get back to you to confirm beforehand.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    No worries, I rode Flagstaff instead. It was really nice up there.

Members who have read this thread: 0