Injury and fatal accident study by ADOT- Mtbr.com
    Shift less, Pedal more.

Injury and fatal accident study by ADOT

I found this interesting. Thought I would share...

One study concerning injury and fatal accidents conducted by ADOT, as reported in this article, found that;
    Half involved a bike or motorist failing to yield, with cars twice as often to blame as bikes.
    Half occurred when a car was turning right and half when a bike traveled counter to traffic.
    One third involved a bicycle on the sidewalk

Entire article Arizona bike-safety plan aimed at cutting fatalities

Flag police report: “Be a Roll Model” FLAGSTAFF BIKING ORGANIZATION and Flagstaff PD

I live in Flagstaff and have seen both cars and bikes to blame. One thing that really gets me is almost getting hit by someone on a bike, when I'm walking on the sidewalk. I see people riding bikes against traffic on both San Francisco and Beaver. I see people biking in the road, when there is a perfectly good, and safer, urban trail 5 feet away from them.

But with all the people that have had contact with a car while on their bike in the last couple months, I can see why the sidewalk bike traffic has increased.

Flagstaff is considered a Bike Friendly City, that doesn't mean you can ride your bike anywhere you like, you might end up getting hit by a car. And no matter who had the "right of way," the car usually wins.

"I don't walk in the bike lane, so don't ride on the sidewalk" by Me.
    I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I'm not......Dolemite.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    i still think "i don't swim in your toilet, so you don't pee in my pool" is a bit catchier...

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdss View Post
    I found this interesting. Thought I would share...

One study concerning injury and fatal accidents conducted by ADOT, as reported in this article, found that;
    Half involved a bike or motorist failing to yield, with cars twice as often to blame as bikes.
    Half occurred when a car was turning right and half when a bike traveled counter to traffic.
    One third involved a bicycle on the sidewalk

Entire article Arizona bike-safety plan aimed at cutting fatalities

Flag police report: “Be a Roll Model” FLAGSTAFF BIKING ORGANIZATION and Flagstaff PD

I live in Flagstaff and have seen both cars and bikes to blame. One thing that really gets me is almost getting hit by someone on a bike, when I'm walking on the sidewalk. I see people riding bikes against traffic on both San Francisco and Beaver. I see people biking in the road, when there is a perfectly good, and safer, urban trail 5 feet away from them.

But with all the people that have had contact with a car while on their bike in the last couple months, I can see why the sidewalk bike traffic has increased.

Flagstaff is considered a Bike Friendly City, that doesn't mean you can ride your bike anywhere you like, you might end up getting hit by a car. And no matter who had the "right of way," the car usually wins.

"I don't walk in the bike lane, so don't ride on the sidewalk" by Me.
    In Sedona I choose to ride on the SIDEWALK on 89A and 179. 179 has a bike lane and with 4 million tourist coming to Sedona every year a LARGE percentage are enjoying the great views rather than looking for a rider on the road they are driving on.

TD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post
    In Sedona I choose to ride on the SIDEWALK on 89A and 179. 179 has a bike lane and with 4 million tourist coming to Sedona every year a LARGE percentage are enjoying the great views rather than looking for a rider on the road they are driving on.

TD
    I'm with you there. I watch too many people driving down the bike lanes to trust them. 89A, forget it, there isn't enough room for a bike and again too many people looking at all the purdy rocks.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is youll crash.
    - Julie Furtado