mtbr member
    Aug 2010

"Injured bicyclist rescued from Scottsdale preserve"

"Emergency crews transported a man to the hospital after he fell off his bike on a hiking trail near Thompson Peak and Bell Road in Scottsdale, officials said.

The man, who is in his 50s, was biking the Gateway Loop trail in the McDowell Sonoran Preserve shortly after 11 a.m. Friday when he fell and fractured his leg, said Lori Schmidt, spokeswoman for the Scottsdale Fire Department.

Schmidt said the man was about 4.3 miles into the lasso-shaped trail when he fell and then called for help. At least three other people were assisting him when emergency crews arrived.

The man was flown to the base of the mountain about 1:30 p.m. and then transported to Scottsdale Healthcare Osborn Medical Center.

Further details on his condition were not available.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2011/04/08/20110408scottsdale-mountain-rescue-0408abrk.html#ixzz1IzcBNKPz"

Give it a crank
    No hint of the cause of the accident, always a possibility up there.

My other ride is your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider
    No hint of the cause of the accident, always a possibility up there.

the possibility being what.....a bunch of DH's capped him in the shin because he was wearying lycra? Chollaball threw an elbow because he was carrying the last 30-pack of Busch-Lite..........a trail-runner would not surrender the line.......Carla thought that bikes don't belong?????

What is your point? State your inflammatory remarks here.....now......lest you become moot, kidnapped and chastised.

Pivotal figure
    I blame gravity.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Well there's his problem.....he was riding on (as AzCentral put it) a "hiking trail."

Give it a crank
    You make this seem like I'm listening to "Led Before Bed" on whatever station it plays, good stuff. You want something inflammatory from ME? Good luck with that.

While reading the OP I kept looking for some hint of what went wrong, was it mechanical or human error? Maybe it was one of those trail runners with a temper or just the damn wind shoving the rider into the rocks.

Heck, the brief report barely let's you know it occurred in the McDowells, gee, thanks. Shoulda stopped reading at the headline, that's usually most of the info anyway.

Meatbomb
    why did they take him to osborn when scottsdale north is closer and has better ortho staff?

I liked the 'hiking trail' reference as well.

Give it a crank
    It was the "lasso-shaped trail" section on the "hiking trail" that was too much for the rider in his 50's to handle at the 4.3 mile marker. I feel edoocated now.

Eroding into the trail
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    why did they take him to osborn when scottsdale north is closer and has better ortho staff?

I liked the 'hiking trail' reference as well.
    Osborn is the primary trauma center; I think that Shea and Osborn are the same level (3?) trauma center though.
    I wouldn't want to be at Osborn!

mtbr member
    Osborn is the only level 1 trauma center in the east valley and where they ship him is based on the mechanism of injury according to my wife who works in the ER over there. It sounds to me like the "journalist" that wrote the story may have left just a couple of relevant details.
    Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

SamuraiBunnyGuy

Az HS Cycling League

He was...

actually rescued off of windgate on the east side of the pass. Difficult spot and they had to fly crews in to reach him in a timely manner and then obviously fly him out once packaged.

Scottsdale's PIO obviously did not spend much time to gather the accurate facts.
    Support Arizona High School Cycling League
    www.arizonamtb.org

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Wasnt me.. I still push my bike up those hills

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    Stew

Signature thief! I understand though, it's a great statement.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

E-bikes are Mountain Mopeds

Az HS Cycling League

Having met her at the 2009 Singlespeed World Championships in Durango, it was too good to pass on.
    www.arizonamtb.org

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I've been there several times and can see how easily something like that can happen, especially on those steep switchbacks. Good theing there were people around to help. If he would have crashed on one of the remote sections on the East side, towards Fountain Hills, he might have been lying there for hours before getting help.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dinglespeed
    I've been there several times and can see how easily something like that can happen, especially on those steep switchbacks. Good theing there were people around to help. If he would have crashed on one of the remote sections on the East side, towards Fountain Hills, he might have been lying there for hours before getting help.
    Bub,

Sounds like a good spot for a trail improvement. Maybe I can talk Justin into coming down with the gas powered jackhammer to lower the difficulty of that section. Let me know where the exact location is. We are really busy right now in Sedona getting all the trails in shape for the over 50 crowd, so it might be a month or so until we can get there .

TD

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Shoot, scottsdale north got me into my hospital room from emergency in under three hours last saturday. Prescott was closer but I was like "oh hell no"!
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Anyone know who did the rescue? DPS or MCSO?

Meatbomb
    When I had my assodent in Eloy, they took me to Casa Grande and when they determined they could not treat me they sent me to Scottsdale North....

Salty Dog

Lasso, my asso....

Quote Originally Posted by DustyBones
    Osborn is the primary trauma center; I think that Shea and Osborn are the same level (3?) trauma center though.
    It actually is a lasso shape when seen on a gps report, starting and ending at the Gateway trailhead and doing the loop.

I did that last Wednesday as part of my ride over Windgate and Bell passes and back. It must have something to do with being over 50 that caused the crash, eh?

When I broke my right femur on Cave Creek Trail 4 (aka Seven Springs) in 2007 they also took me to Osborn. I told then it was because of their trauma center. Dr. Gil Ortega took really good care of me there. Highly recommended.

Tommy
    Ventana El Rey - sweet 9er magic! OR sweet Serendipity Superfly 100

Salty Dog

Please don't.....

Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    Bub,

Sounds like a good spot for a trail improvement. Maybe I can talk Justin into coming down with the gas powered jackhammer to lower the difficulty of that section. Let me know where the exact location is. We are really busy right now in Sedona getting all the trails in shape for the over 50 crowd, so it might be a month or so until we can get there .

TD
    Please leave the trails as they are. There is no need, in my opinion, to make them into dirt highways so that folks who don't have technical skills can ride them without improving their abilities. The only way we get better is to answer the challenges of the trails....

Tommy

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty Dog
    Please leave the trails as they are. There is no need, in my opinion, to make them into dirt highways so that folks who don't have technical skills can ride them without improving their abilities. The only way we get better is to answer the challenges of the trails....

Tommy
    Don't worry, he's trolling and doing a damn good job at it with his other posts. but I think he's is serious about most of what he's doing, that or he's a closet anti biker and really a secret member of an extream hiking club out to destroy the biking community.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

E-bikes are Mountain Mopeds

Salty Dog

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by TacoBeer
    Don't worry, he's trolling and doing a damn good job at it with his other posts. but I think he's is serious about most of what he's doing, that or he's a closet anti biker and really a secret member of an extream hiking club out to destroy the biking community.
    I don't post here very often anymore so I don't know most of the players. That trail is managed by McDowell Sonoran Conservancy (MSC). The organization has trail stewards, including mountain bikers, who do trail maintenance and patrols. Some of the hiking stewards like the idea of sanitizing the trails by removing all rocks, etc, which might be fine for the lower trails but should be left alone on the upper trails, giving advanced hikers and riders more of a challenge. Just the idea of someone going there and grooming the trail gives me shivers....

I've noticed substantial grooming over the past four seasons that Windgate has been open. This past week I noticed a new detour around the gnarly descent portion of Bell Pass on the south/east side. Not everyone wants to use the detour, but it's there for those who do.

Tommy

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by DustyBones
    what's wrong with osborn? i was born at osborn.

just sayin'.

it does come up so infrequently...
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

Az HS Cycling League

Scottsdale and Phoenix Fire did the rescue using the Phoenix Fire and Police helicopter.
    www.arizonamtb.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stew
    Scottsdale and Phoenix Fire did the rescue using the Phoenix Fire and Police helicopter.
    Long line?
    Over 40% grade is a technical rescue you know....

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Bub,

TD

Uh, that would be considered vandalism as in illegal. It is the Scottsdale Sonoran Preserve. I'm so glad that you can't do any "improvements there". Its fine just the way it is.

Az HS Cycling League

Put the books down. You actually may replace information that you really need.
    www.arizonamtb.org

Eroding into the trail
    Quote Originally Posted by rockychrysler
    what's wrong with osborn? i was born at osborn.

just sayin'.

it does come up so infrequently...
    Just because you were born @ Osborn doesn't make it a good hospital to be at when you are sick or broken.
    The rooms suck (doubles), the food sucks & the general atmosphere sucks!
    Shea is much better - all private rooms, much better food & if you're lucky - a room with a view, which makes for a better atmosphere (better scenery also IMHO); all this from too much personal experience BTW!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Yet again, another helmet failure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZspeeding
    Yet again, another helmet failure.
    Where did you get that from?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ajmelin
    Long line?
    Over 40% grade is a technical rescue you know....
    Good thing we're not sanitizing their rescues....

mtbr member
    Bub,

TD
    You are kidding, right?

Not all trails need to be easy.

Why don't you go up to British Columbia and "fix" all those dangerous North Shore trails before you come down here with your gas-powered jackammers.

sheesh!

Members who have read this thread: 0