Info on trails near Goat Canyon- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Info on trails near Goat Canyon

I'm looking for an option besides dropping Goat Canyon.
    Was wondering if anyone has ridden Ford Canyon Trail...is it better to ride clock or counterclockwise or is this just not a mountain biking trail?
    thanks.

Dooosh!
    Quote Originally Posted by suzwilson
    I'm looking for an option besides dropping Goat Canyon.
    Was wondering if anyone has ridden Ford Canyon Trail...is it better to ride clock or counterclockwise or is this just not a mountain biking trail?
    thanks.
    Ford Canyon is not rideable past a certain point. Your best option for Goat Camp is simply do an out and back starting at the Mesquite Trailhead.
    He who dies with the most toys first, wins!

Team Tortuga
    To change it up you can go up or down Willow Canyon for a litlle loop at the end so it is not a complete out and back.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Ive ridden the Ford Canyon trail and its awesome, nice easy trail, crazy irish is right it connects with Willow Canyon...The White Tanks are awesome..

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Ford Canyon

So it sounds like Ford canyon is an option. A previous poster said it was unrideable past a certain point. For an intermediate rider, what percentage would you say is rideable?
    I was thinking of going up Ford, then down Willow canyon.
    Thanks again for your help.

Just another half mile...
    Ford Canyon north of Willow Canyon trail is not recommended for bikes or horses. There is a section that is basically is a water fall and very steep and with serious hike-a-biking over slick rock. I have not done it, but I know a few that have attempted it and said it wasn't fun at all. You probably can ride north on Ford Canyon from Willow Canyon for about a mile as an out an back before hittng the water fall section. Here is my MAP that shows the Goat Camp XC loop with Willow Canyon thrown in. If you decide to give it a go, take pictures and wear sticky rubber shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by suzwilson
    So it sounds like Ford canyon is an option. A previous poster said it was unrideable past a certain point. For an intermediate rider, what percentage would you say is rideable?
    I was thinking of going up Ford, then down Willow canyon.
    Thanks again for your help.

Team Tortuga
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider
    There is a section that is basically is a water fall and very steep and with serious hike-a-biking over slick rock. I have not done it, but I know a few that have attempted it and said it wasn't fun at all.
    Ford Canyon was the first hike I ever did in AZ and the waterfall section would be no fun at all with your bike. I believe their was also a good amount a wash to cover on this trail. This section is almost 2 miles long I am pretty sure it goes by an old dam. Anyway I would ride as much as you can from the Willow Canyon connector but I personally would not run the entire Ford Canyon segment and I consider my self an intermediate rider. I could be wrong. If you go make sure to watch out for snakes (or Gila monsters) on the rocks. I believe the Ford Canyon had sections where you reach up on blind ledges to get over the rocks. That and the cougar warning posters now up at the park could make it quite exciting!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks for the correction about Ford Canyon. Also, thanks for the map on the XC route. We plan to give a go this Thursday. Here's hoping it doesn't rain.

mtbr member
    I think it's supposed to be windy on Thursday as well. That could be tough going up against the wind.

Dooosh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore Ken
    Ive ridden the Ford Canyon trail and its awesome, nice easy trail, crazy irish is right it connects with Willow Canyon...The White Tanks are awesome..
    You obviously have not road the entire Ford Canyon Trail, its definately not a "nice easy trail." You are correct though about it connecting to Willow Canyon. If you continue on FC from that point you will reach the hazerdous section not recomended for bike and horses, go check it out, it gets pretty cool back there.
    He who dies with the most toys first, wins!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    thanks for the info. yesterday we rode up mesquite to GC to turnaround point (about 8 miles), then double back and took willow for something different. loved this ride!
    thanks again for the route suggestion.

mtbr member
    I just rode Ford Canyon the other day, and it was a fun little ride out and back. I continued in and passed through the warning sign, and then turned around farther in where the hike-a-bike started since I didn't really have the time. It was very rideable up until that point, nothing especially challenging but some fun rocky sections scattered around. It's worth riding at least once, but due to the rough terrain farther in I probably won't go back unless I'm hiking.

Members who have read this thread: 0