mtbr member
    Oct 2016

The Importance of Scenery in Your Rides?

Does the Arizona desert scenery offer a better riding experience than heavily wooded areas? Posting some cool pictures might get us through this slow period of well thought out AZ related posts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Importance of Scenery in Your Rides?-1b89b0e2-d013-49d9-9e62-623e0c662b49.jpg  

EDR
    It's funny you posted this, I was just contemplating this very question during my ride this week in the Tonto Creek area. I don't do much forest riding and I felt a bit out of place with the different trail conditions....I.E. loose sticks, leaves, pine needles, grapefruit size rocks skirting under my wheels everywhere...and limited view most of the time.

I love the mountains and there are certainly some amazing views to be had, but usually those are above treeline, in meadows or at some vista point. Again, those are wonderful in their own right but I do love the vastness of wide open land. There is something awe inspiring and humbling when taking in a view from above with no end in sight, makes me feel small, a tiny cog in the much larger wheel of life. But then again, maybe I just feel claustrophobic without the obvious vastness in front of me...plus in the mountains you seem to get 2 minutes warning before an otherwise blue sky turns to heavy thunder and death lightning.

The Importance of Scenery in Your Rides?-mountainbikingmoab019.jpgThe Importance of Scenery in Your Rides?-importedphotos00027.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Importance of Scenery in Your Rides?-thumbnail.jpg  

Low speed, High Drag
    I can post some pics, if someone can tell me who to use for photo hosting? Is Photobucket usable again, or did everyone go somewhere else?
    I need a cool saying to put here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Nothing's better than ridin' above 9000'.... Rode desert for 28 years.... I prefer aspen sub Alpine spruce forest any day. The Importance of Scenery in Your Rides?-img_20180826_100220.jpegThe Importance of Scenery in Your Rides?-img_20180816_102100.jpegThe Importance of Scenery in Your Rides?-img_20180812_131327.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I am Walt

The Importance of Scenery in Your Rides?

Iíve been riding here in AZ for 17 years, and love desert riding, and some of the views are, indeed, awesome.

That said, I just got back from my first trip to Durango, and Iíll take those views and terrain over AZ every day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I am happy to see others enjoy the scenery on the trails they ride. Today I did the Sunday Sedona ride with several of my long time friends. As we all know mountain biking is a great social sport and enjoying a ride with your friends is part of the whole experience.

The weather and trail conditions were great and only one rider fell in a prickly pear. What a Country!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Importance of Scenery in Your Rides?-3eb0cf45-53aa-4923-9208-6d8e9d172174.jpg  

mtbr member
    I'm with waltaz...but I've always felt this way. Even though I prefer forest riding, the denser the better like Oregon & British Columbia, I think Sedona is the most epically scenic because there is nothing like it anywhere else.

waltaz....is you liked Durango, you need to see Crested Butte and the other side of the mountains from Durango in Ridgway & Telluride. Durango is very nice but those other places are a world apart IMO.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    I'm with waltaz...but I've always felt this way. Even though I prefer forest riding, the denser the better like Oregon & British Columbia, I think Sedona is the most epically scenic because there is nothing like it anywhere else.

waltaz....is you liked Durango, you need to see Crested Butte and the other side of the mountains from Durango in Ridgway & Telluride. Durango is very nice but those other places are a world apart IMO.
    Great to hear...next trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

Elitest thrill junkie
    I prefer alpine, and I prefer views over not, but it's really not that critical to me either. That was my big gripe with Sedona many years ago, it had the views, but not the trails, and without the trails, there wasn't much reason to go there. Now, in Sedona, you can have both. I'd usually rather ride a kickass trail in the woods like Predator than a boring trail with the views.

There are many places where you get it all, heavily forested trails, wide open alpine, stunning views, etc.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

DFMBA.org
    Sonoran is OK. I need to get out to more scenic areas too. Cave Creek is alright too. So is Brown's.

The Importance of Scenery in Your Rides?-niner-apache.jpg

The Importance of Scenery in Your Rides?-20170326_113741-0-.jpg

The Importance of Scenery in Your Rides?-img_20161122_111515.jpg
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBeing View Post
    Sonoran is OK. I need to get out to more scenic areas too. Cave Creek is alright too. So is Brown's.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Niner-Apache.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	188.8 KB 
ID:	1213793

Name:	20170326_113741(0).jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	142.4 KB 
ID:	1213795

Name:	IMG_20161122_111515.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	155.2 KB 
ID:	1213796

MTB looks like you are in love with that niner? Nice pictures thanks for sharing😀

Meatbomb
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Importance of Scenery in Your Rides?-windgate-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    The best part about mountain biking is that the trail can be the destination. Or the views can be the destination. You can have a rad trail with our without views. But I definitely like trails better when there are great views combined with great riding. We have lots of views here in Socal since we don't have a lot of trees, but I'd take the trees any day. But yeah, having views is a good thing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I went on a ride today and met a guy from St. Louis who was
    doing his second Sedona ride. He was lost and the ultimate beginner. I asked him where he wanted to go and he said Enchantment. I told him to follow me on Mescal. He walked the difficult sections and rode the easy ones. At the Boynton Canyon parking lot he thanked me and said he thought he was a better rider. He reminded me to email him my picture of him riding on a rock ledge.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Importance of Scenery in Your Rides?-d0b519d7-e555-4f6b-b08f-f065f5b62b56.jpg  

Meatbomb
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Importance of Scenery in Your Rides?-marchepicride1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Very Nice

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Out riding with my wife in the Cockscomb area on her Pivot 5.5. This is the area where the new Western Gateway trails are planned. Note her bike is not Fox Live Valve equipped.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Importance of Scenery in Your Rides?-5a302b32-be68-4116-af9c-942cac5ab0bb.jpg  

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Yep, views are great, but it all boils down to the overall experience for me. Heck, it can be kind of a crappy trail, but if the payoff is good enough it's worth it.

The Importance of Scenery in Your Rides?-20170802_115829.jpg
    Lots of hike-a-bike to get here. Worth it.

The Importance of Scenery in Your Rides?-2013_05_26_02792.jpg
    Great trail, trees & views!! In Arizona too...

The Importance of Scenery in Your Rides?-20160617_143612.jpg
    There's something special about riding through aspen groves.

The Importance of Scenery in Your Rides?-20160625_220542.jpg
    Not everyone's cup of tea, but that's ok. Oracle Ridge definitely has its moments.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Duplicate
    Last edited by Switchblade2; 08-29-2018 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Duplicate

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    A year or so ago I asked John S if he would add a non mountain bike trail to the Trailforks database. He made an exception due to the popularity of this very scenic destination. If you are ever riding in the Dry Creek area and want a little hike to a cool spot you might consider this spot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Importance of Scenery in Your Rides?-250a7dcb-3963-4e5b-acf8-9d2a89108ead.jpg  

Last edited by Switchblade2; 09-06-2018 at 01:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Another scenic ride on one of the first user-created now adopted trails in Sedona.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Importance of Scenery in Your Rides?-650767ca-343b-400a-ab65-821b2038d5e1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    This is another reason why some people like to ride in Sedona. Photo credit goes to Lars Romig a Sedona shedder.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Importance of Scenery in Your Rides?-bbfa8bfa-f764-4315-ab4d-0a8398dfe389.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    OK this picture isnít that scenic but it does demonstrate how much more fun the 1%íers are having than the rest of the 99%íers. This is the famous Billy Idol riding the nose off the iconic Toilet Bowl feature on the adopted High on the Hog trail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Importance of Scenery in Your Rides?-bf1da718-c851-49e5-be77-6b5a6ca297ed.jpg  

Meatbomb
    Are you a 1% or a 99%'er John?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Another scenic day of riding in Paradise.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Importance of Scenery in Your Rides?-f72fdd86-3a22-42b6-a523-b0708dc8b783.jpg  

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade2 View Post
    A year or so ago I asked John S if he would add a non mountain bike trail to the Trailforks database. He made an exception due to the popularity of this very scenic destination. If you are ever riding in the Dry Creek area and want a little hike to a cool spot you might consider this spot.

How do you get to that spot?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    How do you get to that spot?
    This should help those that want to get some great scenery while riding.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Importance of Scenery in Your Rides?-scher-pic.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    SB2;
    You are the BEST Sedona MtB Ambassador! Even better than that once was fellow; Trail Doc!
    BC has zip that can match Sedona's
    scenery; but AZ'ers are welcome to come and have a look see; and to beam me up for a BC Tour; April thru October.
    Cheers
    TS
    PS SB2 is a 1%er; just doesn't admit it!

Meatbomb
    And the bromance lives on.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    And the bromance lives on.
    Yes you are correct Darch and I are good friends. We met about ten years ago. I was on a ride in Sedona with my regular posse and we came across Darch riding the same trail. As usual I stop to talk with other riders who seem to be enjoying their ride. He told me he was from Canada and wasnít really familiar with our trail system.

I cases like that I always invite riders to join me and my friends for what we think is the best way to navigate the confusing trail system. When I asked Darch to join us he was willing to see what we had to offer as a preferred ride experience. I am assuming he enjoyed the ride that we showed him otherwise, I doubt we would be such good friends. After the ride we all got together at my house for our normal after ride social event.

I am not exactly sure, but I think Darch was wondering if we were ever going to drink some beer during our after ride social. At that time I was not stocking beer for my friends and he taught me that in the future I should do so.

During the social we shared mutual places we had ridden and what a great sport mountain biking is for meeting people with that similar interest. I guest you could say that was the start of our bromance. We were two old guys trying to enjoy our lives to the fullest.

I am not sure exactly whether I offered to let him park his motorhome at my place that first day, but it must have been soon after. I had lots of room to accommodate his rig, so it seemed like the neighborly thing to do.

As time and the years went by we have shared mutual friends and now it has become an annual event to welcome him, his family and his friends back to Sedona each year. We now celebrate holidays and birthdays together.

Darch has a place in Apache Junction where I come visit him and we go out to Gold Canyon to ride and do needed maintenance on the trails that we enjoy riding. Darch has personally signed many of the trails to help navigate the vast popular trail system. Without Darchís efforts less than half the fun trails would exist out there.

I do appreciate his bromance and look forward to riding and socializing again this Fall with him, his family and friends. Many of the friends I have met through him are now my good friends. We plan vacations together and of course most of those vacations revolve around mountain biking and other sports like hiking and hopefully kiteboarding.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Yes you are correct Darch and I are good friends. We met about ten years ago. I was on a ride in Sedona with my regular posse and we came across Darch riding the same trail. As usual I stop to talk with other riders who seem to be enjoying their ride. He told me he was from Canada and wasnít really familiar with our trail system.

I cases like that I always invite riders to join me and my friends for what we think is the best way to navigate the confusing trail system. When I asked Darch to join us he was willing to see what we had to offer as a preferred ride experience. I am assuming he enjoyed the ride that we showed him otherwise, I doubt we would be such good friends. After the ride we all got together at my house for our normal after ride social event.

I am not exactly sure, but I think Darch was wondering if we were ever going to drink some beer during our after ride social. At that time I was not stocking beer for my friends and he taught me that in the future I should do so.

During the social we shared mutual places we had ridden and what a great sport mountain biking is for meeting people with that similar interest. I guest you could say that was the start of our bromance. We were two old guys trying to enjoy our lives to the fullest.

I am not sure exactly whether I offered to let him park his motorhome at my place that first day, but it must have been soon after. I had lots of room to accommodate his rig, so it seemed like the neighborly thing to do.

As time and the years went by we have shared mutual friends and now it has become an annual event to welcome him, his family and his friends back to Sedona each year. We now celebrate holidays and birthdays together.

Darch has a place in Apache Junction where I come visit him and we go out to Gold Canyon to ride and do needed maintenance on the trails that we enjoy riding. Darch has personally signed many of the trails to help navigate the vast popular trail system. Without Darchís efforts less than half the fun trails would exist out there.

I do appreciate his bromance and look forward to riding and socializing again this Fall with him, his family and friends. Many of the friends I have met through him are now my good friends. We plan vacations together and of course most of those vacations revolve around mountain biking and other sports like hiking and hopefully kiteboarding.

Cheers
    I think I'm getting a little misty. That's a beautiful story of friendship across international borders, Switch. One of your better posts. Behind your baiting, condescending posts on MTBR I've always suspected there was a decent person.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    I ride alot at night. Can't see Sh!t at night.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Competitive Spirit
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Importance of Scenery in Your Rides?-42fc0890-4792-4693-a504-8acbe29a6481.jpg  

cmg
    passed out in your garden
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    I ride alot at night. Can't see Sh!t at night.
    you'll need mudguards so you dont get it on you then
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmg71 View Post
    you'll need mudguards so you dont get it on you then
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    A little Hiline STOKE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Importance of Scenery in Your Rides?-f4421f7e-3f55-490b-9d61-f70abcb740ff.jpg  

The Importance of Scenery in Your Rides?-4cb67dd6-3da8-4b59-85bc-be4afe1b848f.jpg  

No Clue Crew
    First and foremost what makes a ride great to me is the company. Most of my rides are just boring workouts because I ride alone 9/10 rides. When I'm with my buddies it doesn't matter where we are riding it's always more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    That said, I just got back from my first trip to Durango, and Iíll take those views and terrain over AZ every day.
    Agreed. The desert is the lack of life. Gimme some trees and a lake...

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Riding with new friends from Ontario, Vietnam and Spearfish. What a Country!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Importance of Scenery in Your Rides?-52dea368-e5d1-4dc0-b73b-1fad34f780cc.jpg  

The Importance of Scenery in Your Rides?-a72714e7-58c4-4911-8452-0ec41aa955c3.jpg  

The Importance of Scenery in Your Rides?-2739419b-11a7-497e-812f-6be1a585a2bb.jpg  

The Importance of Scenery in Your Rides?-fe7a3870-b79e-4360-bee6-f95523e054f3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Another special spot in Sedona that attracts a lot of riders. This is where I go when the negative MTBR posts make me wonder if all the work is worth it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Importance of Scenery in Your Rides?-3a13af34-b54a-4851-bb2b-f9be83e7df6f.jpg  

EDR
    Another special spot in Sedona that attracts a lot of riders. This is where I go when the negative MTBR posts make me wonder if all the work is worth it.
    That looks to be the gate to Heaven or Hell, hard to tell which. Either way, fantastic pic Doc.

mtbr member
    Nice pic but not yours. Great thread but give credit where credit is due.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Nice pic but not yours. Great thread but give credit where credit is due.
    Photo credit goes to Lars. He said I could use his pictures as long as I donít sell them. Rockman it would be nice if you shared some of yours.

mtbr member
    Photo credit goes to Lars. He said I could use his pictures as long as I donít sell them. Rockman it would be nice if you shared some of yours.
    Call me old fashioned but citing the source is a common courtesy. Otherwise, it looks as if you are passing it off as your own even if you have permission.

Sorry to derail your thread and I haven't been on my bike for 3 weeks so nothing to share unless it's OT.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Call me old fashioned but citing the source is a common courtesy. Otherwise, it looks as if you are passing it off as your own even if you have permission.

Sorry to derail your thread and I haven't been on my bike for 3 weeks so nothing to share unless it's OT.
    Rock I have missed you giving me a hard time. I thought something bad may have happen to you. I know you did great in the Enduro, but after that no sign of life.

mtbr member
    Rock I have missed you giving me a hard time. I thought something bad may have happen to you. I know you did great in the Enduro, but after that no sign of life.
    Just keeping you on your toes Herr Doktor. More scenic riding pics please.

mtbr member
    A thread bump for you Switch. Revenge of the Flagstaff Enduro. Good times!

Sunset trail-Catwalk. Photos courtesy of rawracephotography.
    The Importance of Scenery in Your Rides?-flag-enduro_1.jpg

The Importance of Scenery in Your Rides?-flag-enduro_2.jpg

AZT Snowbowl down. Photo courtesy of frozenmotion.
    The Importance of Scenery in Your Rides?-azt_sb-down.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Rockman thanks for the stoke. Love ya dude.

mtbr member
    Sedona Season is here.

The Importance of Scenery in Your Rides?-aerie.jpg

The Importance of Scenery in Your Rides?-mescal.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I like that first picture. It is on the Aerie trail that Plumber Phil and I built. The feature would have never been found without Plumber Philís great routing ability.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Another awesome Sedona picture on Secret Slickrock. Photo credit goes to Lars.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Importance of Scenery in Your Rides?-a2d4f3c2-4c7a-431d-a182-5bd0f832e348.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Today was another scenic ride in Shredona. We have a bunch of friends joining up from northern territories.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Importance of Scenery in Your Rides?-5890289c-22d7-41c9-84b7-9d554b38c4eb.jpeg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Special bike rack and Sedona sky by Lars.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Importance of Scenery in Your Rides?-2fbef3d7-6d4f-4ae7-93ac-d6b0e9a75dbd.jpg  

Last edited by Switchblade2; 11-16-2018 at 09:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Since Iím visiting from a Massachusetts Iím always amazed at how green the desert is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Special bike rack and Sedona sky.
    Nice pic Lars!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Always snap photos of scenery when I ride. Much to my detriment on Strava. Here are some recents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meatbomb
    Nicely done duke!!!!