IMBA Trail Building School Saturday February 14th, 2009- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

IMBA Trail Building School Saturday February 14th, 2009

IMBA will be hosting a trail building clinic/class/project Saturday February 14th, 2009 in Payson.

We will be hosting the class at Tiny's Restaurant literally next door to the bicycle shop in Payson. The exact address is 600 East Highway 260. We are meeting between 8:00-8:30 a.m. to start the class. Lunch will be between 12:00-1:00 p.m.

We will also be going out to do an afternoon trail project on a Payson Area Trail, which will be followed up by a group mountain bike ride.

We do know this date conflicts with the 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo, but it is the only weekend IMBA could do this.

If you want to hone your trail building skills, this is one of the best resources out there.

RSVP to Mick Wolf at shop@hikebikeandrun.com

Cheers!

Combining Old and Bold
    I'd like to attend, but I need some ideas on how to explain to my VALENTINE that this would be the best way to spend the day (and no, bringing her along would qualify as my worst Valentine's gift in 18 years!).

Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Funny. Valentine's Day with the girlfriend, or attend an IMBA trail building school. Hmmm!

If this is the only trail building school IMBA is offering in Arizona this year, then you could possibly use that as a reason why you can't miss it. I don't know if IMBA scheduled another Trail Care Crew stop in Arizona or not, but this is the only excuse I can come up with.

Good Luck!

mtbr member

Gonna try and make this one

Visit http://azstateparks.com/trails/trail_workshops.html

Arizona State Parks, State Trails Program is hosting this trails

design class in partnership with the Arizona State Parks Foundation

and Pima County Natural Resources, Parks and Recreation

Perfect Trails: How to Design Trails That Last

Friday, March 6, 2009 - 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Saturday, March 7, 2009 - 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.

Tucson, Arizona

Registration $25

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mickbwolf
    IMBA will be hosting a trail building clinic/class/project Saturday February 14th, 2009 in Payson.

We will be hosting the class at Tiny's Restaurant literally next door to the bicycle shop in Payson. The exact address is 600 East Highway 260. We are meeting between 8:00-8:30 a.m. to start the class. Lunch will be between 12:00-1:00 p.m.

We will also be going out to do an afternoon trail project on a Payson Area Trail, which will be followed up by a group mountain bike ride.

We do know this date conflicts with the 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo, but it is the only weekend IMBA could do this.

If you want to hone your trail building skills, this is one of the best resources out there.

RSVP to Mick Wolf at shop@hikebikeandrun.com

Cheers!

Wolf:

Those classes are great. I am going to be staying at Koll Ranch in Payson on Feb 27 & 28and will try and check out the work you guys did after the class. What trails do you recommend I check out the two days I am there? We usually do 3 to 4 hour rides in Sedona on intermediate to advanced type trails.

Master Gardener
    This is really great and I would definitely attend... if it weren't for the fact that this conflicts with one of the biggest cycling events in Arizona, 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Classroom session, trail work and ride, all in one day?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Busy Weekend

It does seem almost impossible, and I'd be surprised if we were able to do a trail building class, a trail project, and still get a ride in all in the same day, but it is realistic. The IMBA class is only suppose to be 9-12. The trail project will be 1-4 or possibly 5, so if we were quick and prepared, we could be on the trail by 5:30 and ride til dark. I don't think the trail project is suppose to be anymore than a hands on approach to what is taught in the class, so it's not like we are going to go out and tackle an epic project.

We have a ride planned everyday IMBA is here. We'll ride Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Sunday is our official IMBA group ride. It is too bad IMBA scheduled this trails conference on the same weekend as the Pueblo 24 Hours. IMBA and I talked extensively about it, but there wasn't an alternative weekend that would work. I was even planning to race the 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo, but had to cancel it once I got the commitment from IMBA.

As for local Payson trails, the good trails are snowed in. The 200 miles of killer singletrack on the Mogollon Rim won't be rideable til late March into April depending on snows. Everyone knows Payson doesn't have good mountain biking, other than on the Highline. We have plenty of dirt to ride on, and you can put together epic quad track rides here, but it is quad track, we have virtually no singletrack.

Unless the Forest Service says no, we still can't get them to call us back, we are planning the IMBA trail project on the only section of singletrack in Payson proper. It'll be the Boulders North Trail in the Granite Dells area. There is a tight section of approximately 1-2 miles of singletrack that the quads can't hit. This section still has some erosion problems, so hopefully we'll address that issue.

As for Payson trails, if you are going to be at Kohl's Ranch and want some local trail info, just call my shop or email me and I can give you more places to ride (www.hikebikeandrun.com).

Cheers,

Mick

banned
    It does seem almost impossible, and I'd be surprised if we were able to do a trail building class, a trail project, and still get a ride in all in the same day, but it is realistic. The IMBA class is only suppose to be 9-12. The trail project will be 1-4 or possibly 5, so if we were quick and prepared, we could be on the trail by 5:30 and ride til dark. I don't think the trail project is suppose to be anymore than a hands on approach to what is taught in the class, so it's not like we are going to go out and tackle an epic project.

We have a ride planned everyday IMBA is here. We'll ride Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Sunday is our official IMBA group ride. It is too bad IMBA scheduled this trails conference on the same weekend as the Pueblo 24 Hours. IMBA and I talked extensively about it, but there wasn't an alternative weekend that would work. I was even planning to race the 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo, but had to cancel it once I got the commitment from IMBA.

As for local Payson trails, the good trails are snowed in. The 200 miles of killer singletrack on the Mogollon Rim won't be rideable til late March into April depending on snows. Everyone knows Payson doesn't have good mountain biking, other than on the Highline. We have plenty of dirt to ride on, and you can put together epic quad track rides here, but it is quad track, we have virtually no singletrack.

Unless the Forest Service says no, we still can't get them to call us back, we are planning the IMBA trail project on the only section of singletrack in Payson proper. It'll be the Boulders North Trail in the Granite Dells area. There is a tight section of approximately 1-2 miles of singletrack that the quads can't hit. This section still has some erosion problems, so hopefully we'll address that issue.

As for Payson trails, if you are going to be at Kohl's Ranch and want some local trail info, just call my shop or email me and I can give you more places to ride (www.hikebikeandrun.com).

Cheers,

Mick
    Mike:

Thanks for the info. If you were stasying in Payson late Feb. what would you do for outdoor fun?

Doc

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Payson In Late February

We'll think positive that in one month, the weather will be good, and all our trails will be dry. If we get any rain or snow towards late February, it can take weeks for our trails to fully dry out. With that said, the Highline Trail is the classic ride near Payson. The Highline isn't my favorite, but it's good. My favorites are the trails on top of the Rim, but they will likely be snowed in.

The Horton Creek Trail near the Tonto Fish Hatchery is nice too. You can almost mountain bike it, but it makes a better hiking trail. If you come back down into Payson, you can ride a couple of laps on the Houston Mesa Loops, do a lap or two on the Boulder's Granite Dells loops, ride our previous 24-Hour Race course (all dirt road), hike down to the waterfall at Fossil Creek near Strawberry (awesome hike), ride the Pine trailhead and Strawberry Mountain Loop if there isn't snow, and even explore the Highline Trail out of Pine towards Washington Park.

You just have to remember that most of those trails (the ones directly around Payson at least) are true quad track. While you're riding them you can daydream about how good it would be if it was all singletrack.

A lot of us mountain bikers in Payson have stopped using the trails here. I know quite a few guys that drive to Phoenix or Sedona on a regular basis just to ride singletrack. I ride the road now 5-6 days a week and only mountain bike on the weekends, usually preferring to go someplace else. I am a mountain biker through and through, so it's hard to say that I'd prefer to ride the road over our local trails even though it's quad track. It's too bad it has to be that way considering how awesome the terrain around Payson is.

The Forest Service in Payson is in the process of designating 40-60% of all the land here as legally being non-motorized. This is suppose to be implemented by the end of 2009. It's a step in the right direction, but I don't think it will change things here for a long time.

We'll keep plugging away at getting new singletrack in Payson. Someday (fingers crossed), we might actually have some good singletrack you can access right from downtown Payson. For now, Payson will be a passing through spot to the good stuff on the Rim

Cheers,

Mick Wolf

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velokid1
    ...this conflicts with one of the biggest cycling events in Arizona, 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo.
    Not to mention Valentine's Day and the Bootleg Canyon race. But we know romantics and DHers could give a rat's ass about trailing building and maintenance.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

In the rear with the beer
    xxy
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

Master Gardener
    The Forest Service in Payson is in the process of designating 40-60% of all the land here as legally being non-motorized. This is suppose to be implemented by the end of 2009. It's a step in the right direction, but I don't think it will change things here for a long time.
    Both the Tonto and the Prescott NF are on this plan. Even as a lover of motos I have to say, thank god.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

How does it look for IMBA TCC visit to Payson this weekend?

With the rain/snow this past weekend and more coming early in the week, will the IMBA visit to Payson still occur this Saturday? If so, will all three Saturday activites occur as planned? Classroom? Trail work? Ride?
    Thanks

Members who have read this thread: 0