I'm Serious - Sodomy Gultch in PHX Preserve- Mtbr.com
    Ouch, I am hot!

I'm Serious - Sodomy Gultch in PHX Preserve

Over the last couple of years I have noticed that one particular area in the Phoenix Mountain Preserve may be a hook up spot for illicit sexual activity. I'm serious about this. The spot is at and just west of the DD parking lot. One trail through a wash with a tunnel seems to be the hot spot for such activity. I have heard that one of the signals is to park your vehcile at the parking lot backed in instead of front first. About half the time I ride down this trail through the wash and tunnel, I encounter people that just don't seem to be there to hike. I have noticed other indicators and have heard from certain people in the legal community that that is in fact a known spot for such activity. At first I did not care. Hey we all should have the freedom to enjoy ourselves and no one seemed to be in danger. Now however, I just am not comfortable riding that part of the trail.

First, should I just shutup and ride? Second, if no, does anyone else know anything about this?

mtbikeaz
    Feb 2004

Watch your back

Yep, I've heard the same and in fact have seen a few folks wandering around that same area. Upon hearing about the "signal" to back-in, I've never parked that way again! I don't think they are lurking to attack hikers, bikers, etc. But I would probably not ride that area by myself either..

Occidental Tourist

Dejavu

I think this is going to be a reoccurring post....yer right a/b strange things going bump in the night out there. The activilty is most obvious at night. There must be a website or something - too many rental cars playing techno and doing laps in and out....no pun intended (Ok maybe slight pun intended)
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

Fragile - must be Italian

Things that go bump in the night

Yep, the area you mention is a hot spot for men to congregate and commit unmentionable acts. Typically you see the cars in the DD parking lot at the far North end, closest to the T100 crossover. And they seem to wander back behind the tunnel to have fun, under the cover of the trees.

This activity has been going on for a long time...a few years at least. I've lived in the area for 9 years and I can't remember when this started, but I also don't remember when this type of activity wasn't going on.

The people who go to DD at night are not there for trouble. As far as I know there has never been an incident in the parking lot or surrounding area that would make me "nervous" about riding in the area. I ride through there all the time, even on night rides, and it's no big deal.

Gay men frequent city parks, especially those that are not "neighborhood" parks. I hear the same activity goes on in the Cave Creek park in far north Phoenix.

My advice - just get over it and ride. If you're in the area and come across somebody in your path who doesn't look like they belong, just say "Hi" and keep riding. And if they're naked, then I guess you have the option to stop

Thx...Doug

Steep Hill

Tunnel of Love?

I doubt these fellas are posed and waiting to attack a lone rider in the night in hopes of converting him over to their side, but I suppose weirder things have happened. If you do find yourself in that predicament...focus your mind on a happy safe place, or SS gear ratios, or baseball stats until you can make your escape.

Just don't stop and talk to strangers and you should be fine.

Ouch, I am hot!

My New Love

Quote Originally Posted by AZClydesdale
    I doubt these fellas are posed and waiting to attack a lone rider in the night in hopes of converting him over to their side, but I suppose weirder things have happened. If you do find yourself in that predicament...focus your mind on a happy safe place, or SS gear ratios, or baseball stats until you can make your escape.

Just don't stop and talk to strangers and you should be fine.
    Well last night I had sexual relations with my new bike. As long as I am with her, I guess anything that happens to me out there won't be too bad. I will continue to ride this section of the trails, but have decided not to stress too much about it. I have other more serious things to worry about out there, such as the Chupa Cabra and Bigfoot.

mtbr member
    dammit i read this whole flaming post because i was searching for vassago chupa cabra
    Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. SS

In the rear with the beer
    I pulled into that lot for a mid-day ride a few months ago, it was a weekday and I bailed out of work really early....which means i also needed to change from work clothes to riding clothes. I saw a spot with some shade on the north end of the lot, I pulled into it and parallel parked. I did notice 2 cars a little further west towards the tunnel backed into spots, sitting in the sun. It was about 2pm so I thought it odd dudes were just sitting there in their cars looking at other cars, dressed in office type clothing. I had read previous posts about this place, but I figured that was only at night. I started to change, then one of the backed in cars pulled out of their spot and swung in directly behind me. I got real uncomforable real fast....especially since I was about to change into lycra shorts.
    Needless to say, I pulled to a different spot on the other side of the lot, finished changing in my car with my head on a constant swivel and got my ride in....
    I'll agree, its pretty unlikely that they are waiting behind a cholla to jump out and grab a rider, so it shouldn't stop anyone from riding thru...just make sure you don't give the wrong clues if you park there. I'm consciously make sure I dont' tap my foot when using public restrooms anymore either.

The question to ask is, if there were women 'lurking' in the lot who were looking to 'jump' riders coming thru...and the women were hot....how many time a week would you ride there!!??
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

mtbr member
    Why would anyone be "nervous" to ride in this area?

You don't have to stop and join in. I am pretty sure if there is some gayness around it is not contagious. I don't ride DD but if I did and I encountered a car parked the wrong way or some people that did not appear to be hikers that I would just continue to ride. I think there are plenty of other things to be nervous about such as dogs not on a leash or downhill riders failing to yield.

Don't get me wrong. Any type of sexual behavior of that nature in a public area where children and families may be present is wrong. Straight of gay. Unless you want to be a crusader to protect the public against adult on adult sex acts in inappropriate places then my recommendation is to ride by the "sodomy gulch" crowd and enjoy your day! if you see something call the cops. But to be "nervous" or to avoid the area seems a little extreme to me.

Is there a park where there is some serious woman on woman action? I would like to ride there. I mean, just to police the area and make sure everything is alright.

see ya,
    ross

mtbr member
    i guess you also have another benefit of having someone waiting in the parking lot looking for those clues....sorta built in security guard of sorts.

but it also gives new meaning to pumping up your tube!
    i never thought i'd be 43 and living here......i kinda wanted to be a rockstar..." Mark Hendershot

mtbr member
    Over the past several years I have ridden that trail about 4 or 5 times... and saw things on two occasions I never want to see ever again...

First was one of the slippery pig wed night groups rides 4 or 5 years ago... I was on the front of the group, came around a corner, and the HID lit up a couple of guys that were not there for the hiking... everyone in the group (except for one guy... hmmmmm) were extrememly tramatized....

A couple years later I was riding with Cstem in the middle of the day and right before the tunnel there were 4 or 5 guys standing around.. which seemed odd. We went into the tunnel and as soon as our eyes adjusted, we saw a guy standing there in nothing but flip flops and whitey tighties (I tell myself he was wearing them)

Needless to say, I will never ever ride that section of trail again, and even riding past I pretend I am in a world cup cross country race and ride as fast as possible... with my eyes shut. Not saying they will do you physical harm, but the mental anguish is there...

banned
    Gross...yes. Let's put this in perspective. We have people that go there to smash car windows and take ash tray change. We have hikers that park there then walk around setting up rock barricades for cyclists. We have people that park there and they do their own trail renovations because they know best. Hikers and cyclists that throw trash all over the trails.

Apart from being creepy people looking for love these glory hole bandidos do their business and leave. They don't walk in the middle of the singletrack with headphones on and pretend not to hear a bike because they the the right of way or anything. In fact, they go out of their way NOT to be seen. That's the next best thing to not being there.

It happens all over the valley. Just ignore them and enjoy your ride.

livin' the dream......
    The downside is the condoms and tissues left scattered in the preserve. I've been involved in trash pick up efforts in the preserves over the years and I've seen this myself.

If they pack it in, they should pack it out. Littering pisses me off wither its an empty clif shot packet or a discarded trail map. People need to pick up after themselves!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    If you don't like that kind of activity, the best thing you can do is ride the trail more often. The more people that use the trail for "real" activities the less deiant activity will go on there.

Rumor has it the Pema and Dynamie area is were the "Ladies Team" plays.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tjkm
    If they pack it in, they should pack it out.

Fudge included?

livin' the dream......
    kendogg- you said it, not me!

I didn't want to go there.....................

Don't believe the Hype...
    Once, just east of the tunnel on cave creek, I rode up on 4 "cho-lows" who seemed to be trying to break into something like a small safe of cash box. They were smashing the hell out of it with rocks. I thought they smashing in someone head at first, "Oh shiet, I'm a witness!" I rode like the wind east up and out of there...Some fruits in the bushes is pretty nasty, but nothing to really worry about...unless your one of those spandex riders
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Get a bell.

I ride there once every three weeks with a group. One of the guys in our group got a bell just for this purpose. I always make sure I go through the tunnel in his vicinity since he starts ringing the bell about minute before we get there. Seems to give them enough time to scurry away from the light before we come through.

livin' the dream......
    Good call with the bell.

Chunky Monkey

Backing Inn

[QUOTE=Dirdir]At first I did not care. Hey we all should have the freedom to enjoy ourselves and no one seemed to be in danger.

Do you have children? Would you want a daughter to ride with you through there? We have been riding there since around '94 and this has gotten continually worse. The garbage, condoms and glass are constantly building up until a good rain washes a little of it away. During the summer when the humidity is up, the urine smell in and around the tunnel is terrible.

As far as freedom, I agree, but instead of these acts in public, get a room. A buddy and I were in that area when he looks to the left and yells and two guys uncouple, so to speak, no pun intended.

dgangi
    Fragile - must be Italian

I hear the same activity goes on in the Cave Creek park in far north Phoenix.

Dg,

We are there two three times a week riding, ( bicycling ) since '94, parking facing in and never have encountered anyone enjoying the trails like that.

bigdudecycling,

I'll agree, its pretty unlikely that they are waiting behind a cholla to jump out and grab a rider, so it shouldn't stop anyone from riding thru...just make sure you don't give the wrong clues if you park there. I'm consciously make sure I dont' tap my foot when using public restrooms anymore either.

BD,

Singing before and through the tunnel helps....The tune is up to kenndogg......

Thx,

John

Ruzz,

Don't get me wrong. Any type of sexual behavior of that nature in a public area where children and families may be present is wrong. Straight of gay. Unless you want to be a crusader to protect the public against adult on adult sex acts in inappropriate places then my recommendation is to ride by the "sodomy gulch" crowd and enjoy your day! if you see something call the cops. But to be "nervous" or to avoid the area seems a little extreme to me.

Ruzz,

The rangers have called the police numerous times, but with murders, rapes, robberies and dealers this is pretty low on their calls, which I agree with. The will rangers go into the area and the look outs that the "park recreationalists" post on higher ground give warnings via cell phones, which I am sure is set to vibrate.... I am not a crusader at all, however I would like to use the park with my children with out having to worry about this activity....

Soooo Ruzz, you seem to be saying stay away and let them do what they want?

Thx,

John

I really do not want this taken as a rant or a flame, however it is just not a place to ride with a son or daughter and THAT is not correct.

Thx,

John

AKA shitbird
    About 4 years ago I was riding solo on a night ride and stopped along the trail just outside the tunnel that goes under the DD walking path. Anyway, I turn my light off and I'm chillin when some movement/noise catches my attention behind some shrubs. I'm looking trying to figure out what I'm looking at (person, animal?) when all the sudden this puzzle of grossness is solved. One dude with his head in the lap of another dude and this was no soft-core cinemax action, this was full on late night pay per view stuff. I never considered myself homophobic but I'd be lying if I didn't tell you that I pedalled away like rabid wolverines were after me.
    JRA