I'm bummed, my friend broke her hip today- Mtbr.com
    im4Gsus

I'm bummed, my friend broke her hip today

Some of you might remember me posting a thread a few months back of my noob friend “vivace” riding at usery park. It had a short video of her trying over and over to climb out of a gully, until she conquered it. She might be a noob, but she tries everything and gives it 100% effort.

This morning we met at the 7th street entrance to Trail 100. We went west to warm-up and she had a small crash and skinned her left elbow real good. We cleaned it, put a band-aid on it and we continued east towards cave creek and her fave trail, the rollercoaster!

After posing at the top, we started the descent towards CC, and at the very top, around the big rocks, her pedal caught and she fell again. Now her right forearm was all scratched up. We were laughing, having a good time and taking pics to share later with friends on Facebook. Ah, rollercoaster was a hoot, but it was getting warm and we headed back.

On the wedding trail she cleared the icky, rocky gullies with no problems, but on a smooth, straight section she lost control and crashed hard. When I saw her not moving, and laying on her right side with the bike still between her legs I knew this was not a laughing fall like the ones before. From the get-go she was in excruciating pain and could not move her right leg. After a few moments she got up but noticed the foot was pointing outward and she couldn’t straighten it. She didn’t want to call 911 and said she’d walk out – determined and stubborn gal to the end! Oh my, I thought, we’re not close to connecting with T25 and that’s not a good route anyway... Going back thru the icky gullies was bad too. So I said a little prayer and started across the desert hoping we could connect to T100 proper, which we could see ~100 yards away, without facing an impassable gully and having to come back to the wedding trail. God heard us cuz right where we approached the deep gully, there was a relatively smooth way down and out!! However, to our right and left, there was nothing but blunt cliffs!

Once on T100 she could not lift the leg over the bike so we laid it down and she was able to mount it and pedal thru The Pointe’s golf course and out of there all the while screaming in pain. When we reached our cars I had to catch her cuz she couldn’t stop or dismount! I asked her to call 911 again but she insisted on driving herself to her doctor. (pig-headed, I tell you.) Her sister was to meet her there.

About 20 minutes ago I got a text saying that the hip was fractured. I was heartbroken, and still am. This is a very serious injury. As probably ALL of us here know from personal experience, our sport is a dangerous one, but what surprises me is where the crash happened. I’ll find out more later this afternoon.

Oh, Catherine, I’m so, so sorry you got hurt so badly!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

mtbr member
    whoa! that blows. hope she has a quick recovery.

mtbr member
    I'm really sorry to hear this!!!!
    Thats a hard way to get to know the trails, the ground when it comes up fast is hard and unforgiving sometimes...heal up Vivace!!!
    This is a reminder that our sport can be dangerous!!!

Kathleen in AZ
    OUCH! I'm so sorry to hear this. My thoughts are with Catherine...

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    very tough injury. Best e-wishes sent for a speedy recovery.

Shovel Ready
    Sorry to read your friend was hurt today. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

How do I do that?
    Man she's a tough girl I don't know if I could have made it back on my own like she did!

Here's to hoping she has a quick and speedy recovery.

Meatbomb
    I'm a wussy, I would have called for a choper and let the insurance cover the ride.

Maybe it's not the right perception but it sure sounds like she falls more than what would be reasonable.. Not trying to talk her out of it but maybe she should revisit this as a sport for her?
    Last edited by Phillbo; 08-24-2009 at 01:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Whooooof! Sorry to hear it. What a trooper riding out!!!

My other ride is your mom
    Everyone has bad days....I've never had serious injuries like that...but I can remember a ride a few months ago where I was wound up going down multiple times on a 5 hour group ride.....far more than normal, even for me....could not for the life of me figure out why....maybe it was an inner ear thing, maybe I was hungover, maybe I was just being a dumbass....I'll never know. I wound up with whiplash because of some of the hits I took....thankfully that was the worst of it.

Glad to hear that she is doing fine....that could have been a life threatening injury....glad you all were able to self rescue and things are stable now.

mtbr member
    Wow, judging by the pics, Vivace is a real trooper!!! I hope that she has a quick recovery and that this does not discourage her from riding! As for what caused her to crash, it's hard to say without being there. The first thing that I would look into would be the suspension. Particularly the forks (I know she rides a hardtail). Make sure that springs and settings are appropriate for her weight (not that she looks like a big girl at all). I found this out the hard way when I bought my first full suspension bike. I ended up busting both of my arms at the same time out in the Mcdowells. I'm sure most of you know that the loops there are pretty well groomed (compared to what I now ride). Time will heal her physical wounds. Hopefully, she has good insurance cause financial wounds can take much longer to heal.
    Props to you Vivace! You are hardcore!!!
    It's only skin, it'll grow back!!

Save the drama for your mama!!!

Porkchop Sandwiches!

im4Gsus
    thank you guys for such wonderful responses; i'm touched! i'm sure when she gets to read the post she too will be touched and uplifted by your kind thoughts.

i talked to her earlier this afternoon after she sent me the pic below via her cellphone. she said her Dr sent her via ambulance to the ER, duh! at the time she was waiting for the results of a catscan.

just now she called me with good and bad news. the hip-to-femur is OK, but the pelvis is fractured completely through. like cracked ribs there's nothing to do except rest and time to heal. needless to say she's bummed but grateful they released her to go home to the care of her two sisters. oh yeah, they gave her a walker but she can't put any pressure on the leg.

oh, and she asked the doctor about cycling (she bought a carbon road bike last week) and he said not for at least 8 weeks. i laughed out loud. yes, this chick is tough and no fractures are gonna keep her off her bikes! i think with that attitude she deserves to be called a true biker!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Oh poop, ----That just really bites all to much , ----Little Vivace was really toughing it out tho I tell you.

She will be back in action really soon , shes tough.

Heal fast Vivace , we are all pulling for you .

Black and Sticky
    So sorry Catherine. Hope you get better soon so we can see you on the trail. I admire your fortitude in riding out of PMP with a fractured hip. Wow!

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

mtbr member
    Crashing sucks!!

Hope she gets better soon. Not sure how long that takes for recovery but I assuming she will be out for a while! Very impressed that she made it back to the car and drove herself to the docs.

Is she mad that you took photos of her after the last crash? The first ones I would be alright with but if I was down with a busted hip im not sure I would be in the modeling mood!!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Ouch. Hopefully the road to recovery is not too long.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear about your crash Vivace. I sure admire your toughness out there. I'm glad Sativa was there and able to help you. God Bess and hope you heal quick and feel better soon.

Take Care,

Rod
    What if you get scared half to death?.......Twice

I'm Lazy, So I Shuttle
    Hope u have a speedy recovery also. Yea and not sure Id want that last photo of me on the ground red faced in pain up eather....
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.- Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Maby down, and not in a modeling mood,but still looking good.I would be happy to be with someone that looked that good on a down day. Are you married?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Maybe some pads are in order! A get well gift!
    Hopefully she will make a full recovery fast. After several MX crashes I know that some things just don't heal as well as you would like.
    Send her our thoughts!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Down, and not in the modeling mood, but looking great. I would be happy to have someone that looked that good on a down day.

pedaller
    Best of luck Catherine. I hope your recovery is quick.
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by canyondave
    Down, and not in the modeling mood, but looking great. I would be happy to have someone that looked that good on a down day.
    Creepy double post!!

wrecking crew
    Poor girl! Heal up fast ... you'll be on the bike in no time!
    ~~~

It rains here. :(
    A pelvis break is pretty serious...Catherine, next time use 911...glad to hear you're doing good. Keep riding!
    07 GF Rig

dirt debutaunte
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbrous
    A pelvis break is pretty serious...Catherine, next time use 911...glad to hear you're doing good. Keep riding!
    Oh my. Vivace might be exceptionally hardy, but she made an exceptionally unwise decision in walking out with a possible pelvic fracture. She should have been back-boarded.

That being said....glad the two of you are okay and great to see her smiling in the pics. Hope she's back on the bike soon.

"No Clue Crew"
    Man! Hope its a speedy recovery and she's back out on the trails soon. My buddy busted his wrist and fractured his arm last Friday, same area. Ride safe all......D

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I'm sorry

Kaboose, I'm sorry to hear about your friends crash. You inspired me to get first aid training. Now it's your turn to get some: http://www.rei.com/stores/store_even...ents-_-na-_-na
    It looks ridable, follow me....................

How do I do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Threesticks
    Kaboose, I'm sorry to hear about your friends crash. You inspired me to get first aid training. Now it's your turn to get some: http://www.rei.com/stores/store_even...ents-_-na-_-na
    Nice, thanks for the heads up. I wish I had the money for the 2 day or certification course they're offering. I'll definitely take the free course you posted up though

mtbr member
    Ouch! Pretty photos! Not!!!!

As I inched my way to my computer with walker and vicodin in tow.... My heart is warmed by the well wishes and encourangement from all of you. I am very grateful to have come out of this with only a minor injury (compared to what it could have been). The pain has reduced significantly and now only hurts when I move, but subsides quickly.
    I'm disappointed I won't be making the Flagstaff ride on my birthday. I was so looking forward to it.
    I'm going to try and look at the bright side. It will give me a chance to build my upper body!

Again thank you all your warm wishes. I appreciate them. Sativa, thanks for helping me get out of there!!!!!

Everyone Bleeds!

Cool-blue Rhythm Vivace, Catherine.....

You know..... I'm not happy about this! You should have stayed on the road bike, dang it I'm glad you came out as well as you did. You might be in allot of pain right now, but remember that it could have been worse I promise, well, I'll try to promise, to try and not laugh when I see you with that walker... But don't expect too much from me, you know I have a weird sense of humor When do you get to come back to work????

Edit: By the way, look above my Avatar....
    Everyday of my life, I'm forced to add another name to the list of people that piss me off!

gravity challenged
    May 2009
    Wow, ouch! Get well soon and best of luck for a full recovery Catherine! You are a trooper for sure.

mtbr member
    Best wishes on a speedy recovery. A broken pelvis is no fun. Twas' my last serious injury back in college. Hurt pretty good, but was on crutches after a couple of weeks. I was surprised that you were able to get up and move after the fall. I remember that I was in the middle of a road trying to get up but the left side of me was not moving at all. Good thing that the paramedics were just around the corner... I took the ambulance ride and remember that the backboard and c-collar hurt like hell. You are tough, lucky, and I give you two thumbs up to getting back to the car under your own power.
    Take it one day at a time and you will be back on the bike in no time.

mtbr member

Try platform pedals...

Hi Catherine,

I'm obviously only guessing, as I wasn't there to see the carnage first hand; but it seems to me that by Caboose's description of you falling in a relatively smooth section of trail, as well as her mentioning that when she arrived on the scene that your bike was still between your legs; that you probably experienced a clipless pedal release failure. Otherwise, I would have expected you to have A: put a foot down to catch your self, or scraped your knee, rather than landing with that much force on your hip. and B: to have tumbled free of the bike, rather than ending up with it still between your legs. and C: the fact that she mentions you hitting a pedal earlier in the ride, and crashing.

It has always been my opinion that nobody belongs on clippity-doo-dah pedals until they have reached an expert level of bike handling and technical skills; and that even then, the only real reasons to clip in would be for someone racing XC at an expert level or above, or for roadies.

I have watched dozens of times as various friends of mine who have exceptional amounts of talent and mad bike handling skills have occasionally taken nasty spills due to getting trapped in their clippity-doo-dah roadie pedal thingys. It's funny to hear them all sing the same song, "That never happens to me. I always get out of my pedals in time." when they are lying on the ground. Just this past Sunday, I watched my friend, Wes take a really nasty, low speed fall into a hole filled with basketball sized rocks, because his Crack Brothers clippity-doo thingys failed to release, and trapped his foot. He was actually really lucky that A: he landed almost as perfectly between the boulders as he could have, and B: he fell left and ended up only falling into a hole a foot and a half lower than the rock he was riding over, rather than falling right, and going off of a hospital sized cliff drop! At the time, we were miles out in the desert, outside of Sedona, and if he had been badly hurt we would have certainly had to call for air support. (Wes is really tough, but not as tough as Catherine; so he wouldn't have ridden out with a broken pelvis!)

My platform pedals have never failed to release in time, and at least once per month, something happens so quickly that I think to myself afterward, "No matter how good I was at them, or how quick I was at getting out of them, I would have just crashed really hard if I had been clipped in!" It's a great feeling to ride away thinking such a thing, even if you just slapped your foot down so hard that it stings the bottom of your foot; in fact, it probably feels even better, when your foot slaps down so fast that it really stings, because it's those times that you probably would have slammed the dirt the hardest, and most likely with something other than your foot!
    If more people rode more bikes, more places, more often, the world would be a more better place!

mtbr member
    Thank you all for you well wishes and encouragement. I'm doing great! Just ditched the walker yesterday and walking on my own today. It was a nondisplaced fracture of the pelvic ramus so basically there was nothing you could do but just lie still and let it heal. The first week was the worst. Basically had to lie on my back for 23 hours a day, which totally stunk. After that, you learn to be creative to get around.

I have wonderful friends and family that helped me physically, spiritually and emotionally.
    Thanks again everyone and God bless!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivace
    Thank you all for you well wishes and encouragement. I'm doing great! Just ditched the walker yesterday and walking on my own today. It was a nondisplaced fracture of the pelvic ramus so basically there was nothing you could do but just lie still and let it heal. The first week was the worst. Basically had to lie on my back for 23 hours a day, which totally stunk. After that, you learn to be creative to get around.

I have wonderful friends and family that helped me physically, spiritually and emotionally.
    Thanks again everyone and God bless!
    Good deal Vivace, this is great progress, now that you are walking you are ready to pedal too

I bet you feel so much better , this is good news , I will be over to pick you up for some fun easy pedaling ----------

Winter is here and its cold in the mornings -------this is perfect timming !!

mtbr member
    You got it! And..... you're right, I will be without the clipless pedals. A few more weeks. I think I'll be riding the road bike first to build the strength back up in my legs again. Have a wonderful day!

aka Diesel
    WOW! Talk about the human soul on fire! Hats off that you could soldier on and get yourself off the trail. Heal up quickly, and then go spank that trail for your revenge!

And I have to say... what a good sport, to let Sativa take pictures of you on the ground, covered in dirt, with a broken hip. lol
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

im4Gsus
    AAAAARRRGGGHHH!!!! i am not a heartless monster for taking pictures of catherine down on the dirt. it was BOTH our idea to take the pics to document the crash and she posed for them. the pain on her face, however, was real!

as you can see she's lying on her back and the bike is by her feet. when i first got to her she was still on her side with the bike high between her legs. i first moved the bike away and helped her roll onto her back. that's when WE decided to bring the bike back and take the pics. neither her nor i could tell she had a broken pelvis because we had no place to plug the x-ray machine we carried with us.

cat: i'm glad you dumped the walker so your coworkers won't poke fun at you no more. though i'm sure patrick will still find a way

mtbr member
    It's amazing what a little adrenaline and a LOT of pride will do! I am definitely going to wear my arm guards. The worst part is I didn't fall on the difficult areas, I fell where it was relatively easy. It was just a stupid mistake. I need to practice, practice, practice!!!

mtbr member
    Sativa, you are definitely NOT heartless and I'm sure anyone who knows you, knows that! Without you, I wouldn't have realized how much I love this sport! Life is good! I have been meeting the most wonderful people lately. My faith in human nature has been totally restored!!!!! PS - I will be kayaking soon!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivace
    Sativa, you are definitely NOT heartless and I'm sure anyone who knows you, knows that! Without you, I wouldn't have realized how much I love this sport! Life is good! I have been meeting the most wonderful people lately. My faith in human nature has been totally restored!!!!! PS - I will be kayaking soon!
    This post brought a smile to my face Where do people kayak here in AZ? I haven't been since my grandpa passed away at least a decade ago.

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by kaboose
    AAAAARRRGGGHHH!!!! i am not a heartless monster for taking pictures of catherine down on the dirt. it was BOTH our idea to take the pics to document the crash and she posed for them. the pain on her face, however, was real!

as you can see she's lying on her back and the bike is by her feet. when i first got to her she was still on her side with the bike high between her legs. i first moved the bike away and helped her roll onto her back. that's when WE decided to bring the bike back and take the pics. neither her nor i could tell she had a broken pelvis because we had no place to plug the x-ray machine we carried with us.

cat: i'm glad you dumped the walker so your coworkers won't poke fun at you no more. though i'm sure patrick will still find a way
    LOL! Oh Sativa!!! Like *anyone* could accuse you of being heartless!! That is not what I meant at all. It was a COMPLIMENT!!! I think it was hilarious that you guys would turn something painful and challenging, into something fun to remember and share! The pain will pass, but the memories will last forever, and you guys documented to the end! I applaud it. Made me laugh out loud.
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

mtbr member
    I'm going to take lessons up at Lake Pleasant. But you can boat at Tempe town lake also. Sativa took some awesome photos when she went to Canyon Lake (I think she said that was in Prescott).

It is just gorgeous! I can't wait to start!

Need more cowbell
    neither her nor i could tell she had a broken pelvis because we had no place to plug the x-ray machine we carried with us.

That's awesome....

mtbr member
    ooo, I think I was leaning more along the lines of river kayaking.

mtbr member
    first we have to become experienced enough on the lakes, then we can upgrade to the rivers. Go to meetup.com and you can find groups that do this. May you find one you like! Good luck!

mtbr member
    This thread reminds me of my clipless pedal adventures. (not starting that debate) But I tipped over a few times and called it quits with the eggbeaters, luckily I didn't break any bones, but its easy to see how that could happen.

Vivace - Glad to hear you're up and around!

mtbr member
    I think that it was great that you willing to take pictures of friends when they wreck! Heck, whenever my friends are taking pics of me "going big", I always tell them to take lots of pics if I eat it! I like to commemorate the bad times along with the good. It's fun looking back and seeing how I've progressed over the years and what it took to get me there.
    It's only skin, it'll grow back!!

Save the drama for your mama!!!

Porkchop Sandwiches!

Members who have read this thread: 0