mtbr member
    Jul 2016

Illegal riding on singletrack

Illegal riding on singletrack-4c05bf94-bef4-41fc-a9b2-4c9a7da2babd.jpg24 hour course in Tucson. Said he thought he was on a road.

mtbr member
    Wonder if that is the same guy who rode the AZT pretty much from Oracle to Freeman Rd. We saw moto tracks on singletrack for most of that whole section.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    What a butthole.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

suvlako
    Get your facts straight boys and girls. 24HOP course is mostly unsanctioned trails. He has as much right to be there as you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    The 24 hr course is on non motorized trails, all sanctioned. You can see the carsonite sign with the faded no motorized sign beside the rider.

suvlako
    You are confusing being able to use this trail with it being sanctioned. Two separate things. Very few trails on ASLD in Tucson are sanctioned. Even the 50yr trail is unsanctioned with exception of the portion that heads north from CSP. When you spend almost 10 years in the trenches of MTB advocacy you learn interesting stuff like this. People piss and moan about shit like a guy out on a Moto enjoying his weekend in the same manner as many mtbers without fully understanding what is and is not allowed.

ASLD's sole purpose is to sell that land to the highest bidder to generate revenue for primarily education coffers. Sanctioning trails would just mean they would eventually be torn down for new homes or a strip mall much to the chagrin of the mtb community. It's for this reason that trails go unsanctioned. Not to mention the arch and bio studies needed to sanction them.

As for the Carsonite signs, these are the same signs you see on 50yr trail which falls on State land leased to the state by the USFS and are again UNSANCTIONED. My point is this, know before you speak, keep quiet and go ride your bikes and if you see a guy on a moto, say hi to them. They probably had more to do with those trails existing than mtbrs.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Suvako, Great points for sure. I ride both moto an mtb. I also get mad when I see motos on trails that are mainly mtb. Technically you are right though.

Surprisingly, the rider in the picture is a long time friend. He will get a kick out of this. AZ Native, was huge on message boards, and was the first person to take me on AZ trials 14 years ago. He is a good people.

mtbr member
    That's my old 2012 350 XCF-W. I sold it in June.

https://youtu.be/wpmrJhHmQ6s

The buyer is still running my numbers and backgrounds. It looks like he added a pipe guard, and a front brake guard.

So will my new 2018 500 EXC fit on this singletrack ya'll are talking about?

;-)

Just kidding folks.

mtbr member
    ASLD for those of you who don't know is the Arizona State Land Department...

By looking at maps it appears the 24HOP course is mostly if not all on state trust land managed by the ASLD....

In fact, if the OP does not have a state trust land permit or a hunting license, he is not supposed to be on those trails... lol....

From my experience, I don't recall any motorized restrictions on trails or roads on state trust land....

Only exception I can think of is the Arizona Trail...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RajunCajun44 View Post
    ASLD for those of you who don't know is the Arizona State Land Department...

By looking at maps it appears the 24HOP course is mostly if not all on state trust land managed by the ASLD....

In fact, if the OP does not have a state trust land permit or a hunting license, he is not supposed to be on those trails... lol....

From my experience, I don't recall any motorized restrictions on trails or roads on state trust land....

Only exception I can think of is the Arizona Trail...
    Off-Highway Vehicle FAQ
    CAN I OPERATE ON STATE TRUST LAND?
    An OHV meeting the 1,800-pound requirement and displaying the OHV Decal may cross State Trust Land only on designated or open existing roads and trails. Do not enter closed areas.
    I Pity The Fool That Can't Ride A Bike Without A Dropper!!

Over the Hill
    I ride areas that are remote (no cell service) and shared by motos. I like the extra security of them out there if I get hurt or need help. Heavy used trails near town they can stay off. But I have been helped more than once by someone on horse or moto when far form a trail head. Backcountry rules should not apply to deep in the woods.

I have more of a problem with runners wearing headphones that are totally unware you are trying to pass.