Ideas to catch bike theives- Mtbr.com
    Shift less, Pedal more.

Ideas to catch bike theives

1. Setup a dummy bike with a gps tracking unit on it, leave it in a visible place with cameras rolling on it, see who pick it up and follow them back to the house to see if they have any more stolen bikes.

2. Add a retinal scanner to the handlebars.

3. Leave your bike "exposed" then hang out close by with a group of buddies with baseball bats. When the theives show up, beat them and send them back with a message to the other theives.

4. Setup a "bait bike" with cameras and make sure the stem and handlebar is really loose. Film it and watch the theives try to ride that bike away.

Seriously I hate seeing these stolen bike threads. I'm curious how many make them back to the owners.

I might actually look for a GPS tracking unit that I can insert into the seat tube for my bikes. I know a couple of police, so I'll ask them what they would suggest and if they ever thought about using "bait bikes" to catch theves. If this is possible, I'll repost and let people know about it.

With the cost of the bikes being stolen, I think it falls in the category of Grand Theft.
    I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I'm not......Dolemite.

Need more cowbell

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Quote Originally Posted by crispy
    I'd rather have the Alien watch over my bike. Or jump out of the top tube when they after they steal it and start huggin' their face!

I've often dreamed of setting up a "bait bike" after all the times my bike has been tinkered with on campus. The GPS idea is great. Follow dem rats to the hole they live in and you might actually find a stash of stolen bikes and make a whole community happy again.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    a spring-loaded spike hidden inside the seatpost and concealed by a seatcover...
    that was the last time anyone ever tried riding off with little Vlad's bike...

Two wheels are better
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike
    a spring-loaded spike hidden inside the seatpost and concealed by a seatcover...
    that was the last time anyone ever tried riding off with little Vlad's bike...

... then little Vlad did a Holbert run and
    "There are two kinds of people in this world that go around beardless—boys and women, and I am neither one"

mtbr member
    The whole idea of a bait bike in my opinion is pretty lame. I always get mad when I hear about how the cops will leave the door open on a Best Buy delivery truck in a poor neighborhood.

Leaving a bike unlocked is like leaving your girlfriend drunk at a bar full of Chipendale dancers. Granted most of the Chipendale dudes are probably gay, but all it takes is one horny dude and Bang!

We need to catch the guys breaking in to houses instead.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdss
    1. Setup a dummy bike with a gps tracking unit on it, leave it in a visible place with cameras rolling on it, see who pick it up and follow them back to the house to see if they have any more stolen bikes.

2. Add a retinal scanner to the handlebars.

3. Leave your bike "exposed" then hang out close by with a group of buddies with baseball bats. When the theives show up, beat them and send them back with a message to the other theives.

4. Setup a "bait bike" with cameras and make sure the stem and handlebar is really loose. Film it and watch the theives try to ride that bike away.

Seriously I hate seeing these stolen bike threads. I'm curious how many make them back to the owners.

I might actually look for a GPS tracking unit that I can insert into the seat tube for my bikes. I know a couple of police, so I'll ask them what they would suggest and if they ever thought about using "bait bikes" to catch theves. If this is possible, I'll repost and let people know about it.

With the cost of the bikes being stolen, I think it falls in the category of Grand Theft.
    Probably just best to catch the thieves opportunistically. Life is too short to worry about this.

One early morning just before dawn I was in my garage with the door open and lights out gearing up for a ride. (I prepare for the ride in the dark to keep my eyes adjusted to the night.)

A beater car drove by with the driver noticing the open door but not me. I heard the car turn around at the end of the block and make a pass. Just as he started to slow down in front of my house, I flipped on the light and Vrrooom, he got the hell out of there.

So I have an idea that if you really wanted to catch a bike thief, you could sit in your garage in the dark and just wait a few hours.

Problem is, if you accidentally hurt the guy you might have a tough time convincing a judge that you didn't intend any harm. Perhaps some kind of giant net-cannon would work -- bag the thief and your bike on your driveway and hang them both from a pole twisting in the wind.
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

mtbr member
    I think this baiting was pretty awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8qj4rkfINo

mtbr member
    Birdss is actually on to something. The have GPS tracking for stolen cars and lost pets, why not bikes. Transmitters now are really small. Just drop it in the seat tube or somehwere and if some knob gobbler steals your bike you call a 1-800 number and they can tell the cops where it is.

Members who have read this thread: 0