My other ride is your mom

I wanna pot....a pot belly...and some fat rims

Wife tells me the spare jingle we have should go to my bike fund. Not one to argue with a clearly superior human, in intellect, intelligence and looks....I begrudgingly said yes. I am buying a Pivot Les Fat frame with the rigid fork.

My question: to AZ peeps rolling the fat ones....reccomendations for rims that work well for our terrain is requested 26 X 4.O"-5.0". My primary riding area will be following my wife wherever she may go around here in Flagpole, the occasional trip to the desert and....what I envision will be an EPIC ski season in 16'-17' where I will roll effortsly up FR418 with my dynafit enabled ski rack on the bike to tick of Northern lines....all.winter.long

Go!

mtbr member
    I have no valuable input other than to say that your wife seems wise beyond her years. Also, get a blue one. All bikes look good in blue.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    "Who's motorcycle is this?"

It's a chopper baby

parenting for gnarness
    talk to Byron he has a carbon rigid fork - I rode it on Pass Mtn and hated it. You will also destroy your very pricey tires riding in Flag rocks without snow. On the beach and in sand I dont mind rigid, but i feel it when i'm riding the reefs and jumping. I would ideally go with a light, stiff suspension fork up front.

Check the fatbike forum, or begin trolling the Fat Bike Trader group on FB - excellent and constant parts sales and discussions there. Oh wait...you're too good for that morass.

I would absolutely invest in some nicer wheels. Jayem built some carbon ones, he could tell you quite a lot. I have the non-drilled stock ones that came on the bike, they suck and constantly are just misaligned enough to rub my brakes. I'd seriously consider through-axels front and back for just that reason alone. Beyond that, the wheels are hugely heavy, as are the tubes. If you will ride it reguarly get something to go right into tubeless.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

I'm a DINK....tires are not a problem. Following my wife around means I won't be riding Pass mountain....besides, if I do ride pass....why bring a knife to a gun fight?

I'm a fan of flows in my normal bike....whatever that means anymore????....but that's because of Stans reputation for taking abuse. I suppose my concern here is the significant lower pressure fat tires run....granted with a significant increase in surface area....are the concerns the same for rim hits? AZ specific beta is appreciated since I really don't give a crap what folks run in Michigan or exclusively in the snow.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    I'm a DINK....tires are not a problem. Following my wife around means I won't be riding Pass mountain....besides, if I do ride pass....why bring a knife to a gun fight?

I'm a fan of flows in my normal bike....whatever that means anymore????....but that's because of Stans reputation for taking abuse. I suppose my concern here is the significant lower pressure fat tires run....granted with a significant increase in surface area....are the concerns the same for rim hits? AZ specific beta is appreciated since I really don't give a crap what folks run in Michigan or exclusively in the snow.
    AZ Fat Bike Club on FB, or talk to Byron. He rides his on National and Pass. I think a rigid fatbike for just trail riding makes about as much sense as teaching cursive today. Get a front-sus fatbike with 2 pairs of rims for summer and winter - 65mm for summer and 80-100mm for winter. But if you feel compelled to shake your money tree, send some my way...fuggin 10yo demoed a Yeti SB5c last weekend and hasnt stopped asking for one since.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    Jayem built some carbon ones, he could tell you quite a lot.
    Aahahahaa.....oh yes, quite_a_lot!
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Hi Maad! I ride a borealis Echo with the bluto fork. The Les fat is a good choice. I ride mine year round in the desert, and I like it so much I don't ride my skinny bike anymore. Fatties are very capable.
    I recommend you go with 80-85mm wide rims. They will handle up to 5 inch wide tires, and will help keep the weight down.
    Sun Ringle mulefut, dt Swiss BR 970, will set up tubless nicely, are light, and strong. Industry nine hubs are probably the best fatty hubs out there right now, but they are pricy! My turnagain hubs have been problem free for over a year.
    As far as rim strikes go, fatbikes run low pressures [5-15] but are hi volume so they don't pinch any worse than skinnies as long as you have the right pressure for the terrain you are riding. I strongly recommend setting your wheels up tubless
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

sweeet!!! Thanks Lew!!!!

mtbr member
    I'm a New Englander visiting AZ. Here I'm riding a 27.5. Back in Massachusetts I ride fat on the trails a lot. I upgraded a Surly Moonlander to a Pivot Les Fat w/rigid fork. I bought it with the upgraded rim package. DT Swiss Big Rides. I put 4.7 BFL's tubeless. It's perfect on beach, packed snow and on xc flowy trails like Brown's Ranch. You can always put a susp fork on later if you tend to ride in more techie trails.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

parenting for gnarness
    Angry Ray and Chipo need to hijack this thread with vapes. Its destroying their Trump-like claims that this forum produces nothing useful.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    Angry Ray and Chipo need to hijack this thread with vapes. Its destroying their Trump-like claims that this forum produces nothing useful.
    Could be a while before they get another kitchen pass. Far more interested in Blatant and that 29"er persons sorting out their differences, actually.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

Ahhh the pain....
    Sorry, I was busy putting a load of nut butter down MrWhrls's wife's throat...she's on her way home weiner boy.
    Nice to see a quality exchange of information...