I searched but can't find anything on ADOT blowing up part of SOMO- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

I searched but can't find anything on ADOT blowing up part of SOMO

The new western loop of the 202 has been under review by G.R.I.C. and A.D.O.T. for what 8 years now? And I thought I heard Adot say they could not reach a agreement with Gila River on land usage so they were planning on blasting a path through the southern part of SOMO to put the Loop 202 in. Anyone else have any more info on this?
    Check out some great MTB gear @ www.evomo.com

Bloodied but Unbowed
    http://www.southmountainfreeway.com/ which appears to be an AZ DOT site pointing to http://www.azdot.gov/Highways/valley...South_Mountain

This is the very first of several links returned by google using the search term "south mountain loop 202 planning". Adding "gila river" returns some items possibly directly related to your query.

You'll decide if it has what you want, but there seems to be no shortage of detail.

Looks like a big mess in the making to me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    From my understanding, G.R.I.C. will render a decision in January to either allow the freeway on tribal land, thus avoiding SoMo, or put the issue on a ballot for the G.R.I.C. to decide. Either way, it looks more hopeful now that the freeway will have minimal impact on SoMo, which is sacred to both the G.R.I.C. and to us mountain bikers (and other recreational users).

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Those new trails were built in anticipation of some road-type passage being constructed in that area. Phoenix sure as all hell didn't build for a single neighborhood as those trails were already goat paths and 100% hikable to locals.

Members who have read this thread: 0