Mike-e

I-Phone users check this out

A new application for the i-Phone has recently been released called AllSport GPS. With this app you can track your rides, get speed/elevation profiles, and upload your trips to a web account. You can get the application directly from i-Tunes it cost $9.99 and for the first 500 that get it, we will e-mail you a $10 gift card for i-Tunes. Go to www.TrimbleOutdoors.com/go/freesoft to download. There will be instructions on this page on how to get the rebate. We will send out the rebate within 5 days of recieving your receipt. This is a very cool application if you ride/run/hike, and best of all the first 500 will get it FREE!!
    Also check out this link, it will give you a better idea of exactly what AllSport GPS does.
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewT...?tripId=437734

banned

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I dunno... I've had pretty crummy luck with GPS mappers on my iPhone (3G) up here in FLG.

The best (free) app I've found so far is mapmyride. Hilariously enough works great for runs, but pretty much fails completely when on a bike. I've tried in the city, where I know mapping while running works, and pretty much doesn't work at all on the trails. I've tried tweaking settings on about 3 different apps so far, but none seem to work at all for biking.

I've chocked it up to the fact that the iPhone has a pretty crummy GPS antennae. Mike-e, what would make me want to pay $10 when I'm pretty sure I'm just limited by the device itself?

Meatbomb
    Didn't someone already post up that they are using this app ?

Mike-e
    Quote Originally Posted by robothouse
    Mike-e, what would make me want to pay $10 when I'm pretty sure I'm just limited by the device itself?
    I have used this for a while now and have not had any problems with the GPS, the i-phone's GPS is actually pretty good compared to some other devices, and like I stated in the other post the first 500 will get a $10 i-tunes gift card, so it's free. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask.

mtbr member
    I too have found the iMapMyRide to be junk. I got it to work for the very first time last weekend when I went for a ride up at Lynx Lake. It mapped half my ride. I'm gonna try this Allsport dealio and see if it works any better for me. Robothouse is probably right though. It's probably the device itself..
    It's only skin, it'll grow back!!

Save the drama for your mama!!!

Porkchop Sandwiches!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    yah lemmie know how it goes... I was thinking about ditching the iPhone anyways due to lack of good service, dropped calls, missed messages & txts (critical for work)...

I've been looking into the MyTouch... all my hiking buddies have had good luck with the first gen (G1) google phone...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robothouse
    yah lemmie know how it goes... I was thinking about ditching the iPhone anyways due to lack of good service, dropped calls, missed messages & txts (critical for work)...

I've been looking into the MyTouch... all my hiking buddies have had good luck with the first gen (G1) google phone...
    I have a G1. Don't really have anything to compare it to, but I'm so-so with it. I get missed message, texts, etc. And the battery is not worth a damn (pretty much drained by 5, and I don't use it for work). But lots of apps, and lots of bells and whistles.

One thing, if you use for work, no real way to synch up Exchange/Outlook.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

I'm with stupid -------->
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    I have a G1. Don't really have anything to compare it to, but I'm so-so with it. I get missed message, texts, etc. And the battery is not worth a damn (pretty much drained by 5, and I don't use it for work). But lots of apps, and lots of bells and whistles.

One thing, if you use for work, no real way to synch up Exchange/Outlook.
    There are two good applications with ActiveSync support for the G1; touchdown (i prefer) and moxier. They sync with contact, calendar and emails. I use it for work and it works great.

The GPS in the G1 is pretty good and the "my tracks" application by Google rocks (http://mytracks.appspot.com/). Also you can buy a batter with more life in it that doesn't require a new back, same size as the old one with more juice. I can dig up a link if you are interested.

mtbr member
    I've had horrible luck with the iPhone and GPS tracking. I used EveryTrail and on my old Blackberry Curve, it would track flawlessly under tree cover inside my pocket. On my iPhone, no matter where I place it to get the most exposure, the GPS points it records are erratic and non-continuous. Unfortunately, I will have to go back to my Garmin for GPS tracks now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Motion-X GPS free version is pretty awesome. email/share the gpx file and load it into sport tracks.

I tried iTrail before, and it sucked. Massively.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have tried them all, Mapmyride, the bikecomputer, trailguru and motionx. I would say for my money MotionX is the best one. Has 5 different maps you can overlay so we you are out you can see where you want to go. Battery life is fine if you fully charge before you go and keep the screen turned off.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdpowers
    There are two good applications with ActiveSync support for the G1; touchdown (i prefer) and moxier. They sync with contact, calendar and emails. I use it for work and it works great.

The GPS in the G1 is pretty good and the "my tracks" application by Google rocks (http://mytracks.appspot.com/). Also you can buy a batter with more life in it that doesn't require a new back, same size as the old one with more juice. I can dig up a link if you are interested.
    Yea, I had Touchdown, but I think it used up all my phone storage, and I'm kind of clueless as to how to move it over to my storage card, so I got ride of it. It's not very user friendly.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Mike-e
    Quote Originally Posted by SPIDERS
    . I'm gonna try this Allsport dealio and see if it works any better for me. .

Thanks man, please write a review after you have tried it out. I am sure that you will not be dissapointed! Dont forget to e-mail your receipt so that you will get the rebate!

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike-e
    Thanks man, please write a review after you have tried it out. I am sure that you will not be dissapointed! Dont forget to e-mail your receipt so that you will get the rebate!

Mike-e, I recommended the Allsport app to a couple of my buddies in Chicago who were running the MapMyRide and they all seem to like it better.

Only feature 2 of them asked for that AllSport doesn't do like MapMyRide is the voice feedback, like telling you your speed and distance over the headphones while your riding. While not many of us would probably want/need that feature, most of them are riding road, to and from work and have their headphones in.

Other than that, they all dig it and said it works well even in the GPS challenged corridors or steel and concrete that make up downtown Chi-Town.

Mike-e
    Quote Originally Posted by sixsixtysix
    Mike-e, I recommended the Allsport app to a couple of my buddies in Chicago who were running the MapMyRide and they all seem to like it better.

Only feature 2 of them asked for that AllSport doesn't do like MapMyRide is the voice feedback, like telling you your speed and distance over the headphones while your riding. While not many of us would probably want/need that feature, most of them are riding road, to and from work and have their headphones in.

Other than that, they all dig it and said it works well even in the GPS challenged corridors or steel and concrete that make up downtown Chi-Town.
    Very cool, I'm glad they like it. The voice feedback feature does not sound like a bad idea, I will run it by the engineers and see what they have to say. You missed a good weekend in Globe... no drama, just some good trail work and awesome riding. How was Sunrise?

May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Yea, I had Touchdown, but I think it used up all my phone storage, and I'm kind of clueless as to how to move it over to my storage card, so I got ride of it. It's not very user friendly.
    I think touchdown is very user friendly... but that's just my opinion. I limit my email to the last 3 days to avoid that and the database is on the SD card (in the main screen just hit the menu button and an option call "move database" will appear, that's all it takes).

If you root the phone there are more options but that takes some know how and a bit of work. However, I can now use my cell phone as a wireless router (connects with my laptop and uses 3G for internet, so I can get online anywhere I have a cell phone signal).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdpowers
    I think touchdown is very user friendly... but that's just my opinion. I limit my email to the last 3 days to avoid that and the database is on the SD card (in the main screen just hit the menu button and an option call "move database" will appear, that's all it takes).

If you root the phone there are more options but that takes some know how and a bit of work. However, I can now use my cell phone as a wireless router (connects with my laptop and uses 3G for internet, so I can get online anywhere I have a cell phone signal).
    i don't use my G1 for work so i can't comment on touchdown/exchange support, but you can tether without root using pdanet. also the mytracks app does work great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike-e
    My wife already tried the app out today. She walks during her lunch break at work. She really seems to like it. Hopefully I will get an opportunity to try mine out this weekend. Gotta fix the brakes on the old Iron Horse first. (Note to self: Don't try out new/unfamiliar trails when brakes are really sketchy or else crash is imminent) I'm really hoping that I have better luck with this app while I'm out on the trails.
    It's only skin, it'll grow back!!

Save the drama for your mama!!!

Porkchop Sandwiches!

May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 'size
    i don't use my G1 for work so i can't comment on touchdown/exchange support, but you can tether without root using pdanet. also the mytracks app does work great.
    Very cool. Didn't know about that app. I still love the rooted phone, the custom ROM's people put out are so much better than the T-Mobile one. That's exactly why I bought the phone, open source means a community to support it and innovate on it.

I just installed this one last night:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=537204

Works great!

Yes, I am a geek.

sandbagger
    any way you have it for other smartphones ? samsung omnia ?
    V10.5 with Dorado pro and Vivid Air
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com
    www.facebook.com/twosixbikes

I'm Lazy, So I Shuttle
    U need to make it for the Dare! I would use it! And probley get more service than crappy ATT
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.- Julie Furtado

Members who have read this thread: 0