I need some Sedona advice....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

I need some Sedona advice....

Let me have it. Tell me everything you're willing to share on the internet

Can't miss restaurants? Cool shops? What should I be doing other than...or when I'm done riding for the day? My wife doesn't ride and wants to do a Jeep or Humvee tour one day. Any of them any better than the rest?

As far as riding, all I know I want to do for sure based on a video I saw posted on here is Highline. However, I'm open for pretty much anything other than super sketchy, death defying stuff. Usually do 15-20 miles in a day.

mtbr member
    Give your wife a Helicopter tour, that way you will have no trouble thinking about her while you're riding the best trails in the state, since there is a continuous drone of helicopters in Sedona...I'm just glad that they don't give freight-train tours...

I just did the Huckaby to Thompson to Jordon loop yesterday, it was great. Started at the 89a and Shnebly Hill intersection, picked up Huckaby at the trailhead where Shnebly Hill road turns to dirt, and did about 20 mi or so after a few circle-backs. I lost the trail a bit in the area near Soldier Pass road due to a lot of recent rain making the trail hard to spot.

There are great foods and beers all over town..And no shortage of people, traffic and helicopters. Plenty of tech on the trails too, I had to HAB a few spots and puke up a lung here and there...definitely do it again...it was fantastic..

The little restaurant/coffee shop right at the 89a and Shnebly intersection makes a killer sandwich, awesome smoothies, and will let you park your bike on the patio...They even refilled my camelback with ice and water for me! Great!
    Check my pulse...

Huffy Rider
    I will ride Highline with you if it stays cool, when will you be out? I like Tara Thai in the VOC for filling up after riding that area. A Mescal Ledges loop is a must do IMHO, good Thai food out that way, too. 15-20 miles out here is vicious but can be done, bring an extra lung. A short drive up to Kelly Pocket south of Flag may be fun for a short sweet jaunt. Hike up Bear Mtn for a non riding adventure. PM me if interested, I'm from SD so I can't be all that bad! BTW, what does 1964 mean? Some good things came out of 1964.

Brenda

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Let me have it. Tell me everything you're willing to share on the internet

Can't miss restaurants? Cool shops? What should I be doing other than...or when I'm done riding for the day? My wife doesn't ride and wants to do a Jeep or Humvee tour one day. Any of them any better than the rest?

As far as riding, all I know I want to do for sure based on a video I saw posted on here is Highline. However, I'm open for pretty much anything other than super sketchy, death defying stuff. Usually do 15-20 miles in a day.
    You can rent a Jeep if you want to save some coin, and get to have the fun of driving it yourself. I'd avoid the hummers- where their tours go isn't the best for scenery and they provide the roughest ride (not roughest terrain though). Barlow's rents the Jeeps, and for tours I'd recommend Pink Jeep. The color sucks but they do have the better guides in town.

As far as bike trails go, it's really hard to go wrong. It's all beautiful. Highline is great, but exposed. Going down to Baldwin gets sketchy because its really steep and got washed out.

I really like to eat at Elote- by far my favorite restaurant in town. I've had everything off the menu twice and loved it all. I also like Sedona Memories for lunch- you won't find a better or bigger sandwich for the price. Bread and cookies are home made every day. They're only open 10-2 Mon-Fri though. Oak Creek Brewery in Tlaquepaque is good for a burger or pizza and locally made, tasty cold beer or go to the old brew in West Sedona and enjoy the same beer and a "gourmet hot-dog" from Simon's.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

No known cure
    I was in Sedona week before last and rode all the old favorites. In four days, I didn't see another rider. Amazing.

For eats, I like Picazzos Pizza, Thai Palace in uptown, and don't tell anyone, but Mesa Grill at the airport reopened and is super good.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    I was in Sedona week before last and rode all the old favorites. In four days, I didn't see another rider. Amazing.

For eats, I like Picazzos Pizza, Thai Palace in uptown, and don't tell anyone, but Mesa Grill at the airport reopened and is super good.
    Glad to hear you had a good experience at Mesa Grill. Word got out about it, it was packed last night. Unfortunately, my experience gave me a "if you return it's on us". I'll definitely go back, but I'll wait until they get the kinks smoothed out.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    Glad to hear you had a good experience at Mesa Grill. Word got out about it, it was packed last night. Unfortunately, my experience gave me a "if you return it's on us". I'll definitely go back, but I'll wait until they get the kinks smoothed out.
    The food at the grill is really good; at least for breakfast as I haven't tried it for lunch or dinner. We ate there twice and attempted a third time, but as you said, they need to work the kinks out. We went in Monday morning and were ignored with only two other parties in the restaurant. After 10-15 minutes, we left and went over to Java Love, which was pretty good, but I really wanted the smoked salmon benidict at the grill.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Don't want sketchy, but doing highline? How clear was that video? Highline has some sketchy bits. Anyway, it's really a fun trail, I encourage you to try it. My favorite restaurant is the Oak Creek Brewery. Brewery-type food. Someone said Pizza Picasso, which is great if you want pizza, but their pasta is terrible. Don't do a Jeep tour, rent your own tom car.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the input. I'll be taking notes when I return from the East Coast next week. My wife nad I are staying at the Hilton, friends are staying in a condo in 'Oak Creek'. Must be close huh since he says the condo comes with pool passes for the Hilton?

Motochick, we'll be out Oct 7-10. If you know the way, I'll follow. I'm down for doing 15 rather than 20
    Our riding group consists of me and a buddy and our (2) 17 year old sons. My buddies wife rides very well but doesn't come often. They won't arrive until the 7th so we would have to do that ride on the weekend of the 8th or 9th.

Techno...I did say 'death defying sketchy' I'm not going to die of Highline am I?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Thanks for all the input. I'll be taking notes when I return from the East Coast next week. My wife nad I are staying at the Hilton, friends are staying in a condo in 'Oak Creek'. Must be close huh since he says the condo comes with pool passes for the Hilton?

Techno...I did say 'death defying sketchy' I'm not going to die of Highline am I?
    The "Sedona" Hilton is in the Village of Oak Creek...it's a scam but oh well. You're closer to the good Sedona rides from the Hilton.

Highline scared the living ***** out of me the first few times I rode it. There's a few spots that you definitely don't want to fall- the time between the fall and landing will be several seconds. Going down the back of it, there's definitely a few spots that you'll want to walk unless you are nucking futs.

HEY MOTOCHICK- I'm back in town and unemployed at the moment so if you wanna ride, hit me up!
    - Julie Furtado

Huffy Rider
    I can do Fri Sat and Sun.....I work on Mondays, very hard, for one day. You shouldn't die on Highline if you are smart, I survived my first go at it and ride it once a week during the season. You will walk a few sections, but the riding sections make it worth it. We can do some other trails with some exposure to make sure all those attending will not cry. (I have nothing against crying BTW) Pray for cool! K-2 I will PM you my number, be prepared for semi-early start times if it stays warm, we don't wanna suffer.

Whoay, I am riding this evening cuz I slept in this morning, I'll text you.

Brenda