Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Kathleen in AZ

I need a DH bike...

... but which one? Size small needed. Anyone know of a good deal on a primo girlfriend/wife bike?

More pics will follow from an incredible life-changing adventure last week in BC with a bunch of cool friends, but here's the short tale of my last day at Whistler... After fighting all week with my 29er FS Lunchbox on Whistler, North Shore, and Squamish trails, I rented a Rocky Mountain Flatline on my last day at Whistler and my world will never be the same. The DH bug has been planted deep in my head* and I need a big bike ASAP!

*perhaps the bug crept in thru the hole I blew in my eardrum on day one. I've had some odd injuries, but this one tops them all. Yup, I broke my eardrum. Thankfully I was back on the bike that afternoon, and despite being able to blow air out my ear, my balance and intellect were intact.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pivotal figure
    I'm dying to know the details of your latest injury! Not so much in a morbid curiosity way, kinda want to avoid whatever the hell you were doing
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Ya thats a wierd one DG, do tell. Maybe look into a Turner highline, not to DH and not to AM, right in the middle might work good for ya. You could also get by with a 180mm single crown fork on and still hit the fun stuff, IMO.
    SHITBIRD

Pivoteer
    Quote Originally Posted by helimech
    Ya thats a wierd one DG, do tell. Maybe look into a Turner highline, not to DH and not to AM, right in the middle might work good for ya. You could also get by with a 180mm single crown fork on and still hit the fun stuff, IMO.
    That seed has been planted!

KK, when are you going to post your photos?
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

Elitest thrill junkie
    She's considering a DHR so far, I like that better than a highline for just DH. Slacker, lower, etc. I like the highline just fine, and with 7" of rear travel it can be set up pretty well for DH and it can take the abuse, but it's not an all-out DH bike. Whether or not that's what someone needs can be debated, but I sure wouldn't want to ride a DHR up national (but have no problem doing it on the highline).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Fly High!
    Finally the Light!!!!!! Awesome DH FOR LIFE!
    "Its like Church to me, Like Church is, what it is for other people"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RidingRiot
    Finally the Light!!!!!! Awesome DH FOR LIFE!
    Its called the "need for speed" P.
    SHITBIRD

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    I'm dying to know the details of your latest injury! Not so much in a morbid curiosity way, kinda want to avoid whatever the hell you were doing
    While attempting to get the Lunch Lady to fly on Crank It Up, we became detached and I went skidding on the backside of a jump on my left side, head and shoulder landing first and bounding many times it seemed.... My bell was rung pretty good. I sat off to the side with ringing ears and a dizzy head for a few minutes then felt that feeling of compression in the ears so held my nose and blew... WHOOOOOOSH. Hot air was rushing out my left ear!! Dana could hear it - it was freaky to say the least. Besides the bruised left thigh, I was really not in any pain. I just had a ringing sensation in my ears and felt like I was in a fishbowl. First-response trained Dana urged me to be checked out so we headed to the Whistler ER (she went later that day with Carmen who separated her shoulder ). Doc confirmed that I had blown a small hole in the center of my eardrum - most likely from compression of air in the pocket of my helmet around my ear when my left side slammed into the ground. Doc said it should heal on its own in 10 days to 10 months and I should have it checked out when I get home. No x-rays, just an exam. I paid my $625 and headed back up the hill for more runs

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    That seed has been planted!

KK, when are you going to post your photos?
    I'm working on the photos... I must have taken 800+ during the week! But I'm also unpacking, cleaning, doin house chores, and resting... 6 days in a row of hard riding has left me smiling but weary.

How's the wrist? Been in for xrays yet?

Not at the table,Carlos!
    Welcome!

darkside.jpg

Pivoteer
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    I'm working on the photos... I must have taken 800+ during the week! But I'm also unpacking, cleaning, doin house chores, and resting... 6 days in a row of hard riding has left me smiling but weary.

How's the wrist? Been in for xrays yet?
    Sounds good.

I woke up this morning with limited swelling, and a much greater range of motion. I am also develpoing good strenght in the hand. I will wait and see what happens over the next few days, though I suspect I will be riding by the weekend

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    Sounds good.

I woke up this morning with limited swelling, and a much greater range of motion. I am also develpoing good strenght in the hand. I will wait and see what happens over the next few days, though I suspect I will be riding by the weekend
    Just go already and get an xray. It's better to know what you're dealing with than to find out a week later that it's worse that you think. What if you do have a broken bone like NoelG did last spring (fall?) and need surgery? Do you really want to lose this week of recovery? Best scenario is that you have no breaks and you'll be riding this weekend. Worst - you're broken. If the latter, you'll need casting or surgery and then SIX weeks of recovery. You don't want to waste any riding time!!! Use that insurance. Peace of mind is a wonderful thing

dirt debutaunte
    Great pics K! Look forward to seeing more soon.
    Love the one of you hucking....I thought you didn't like to leave the ground!

mtbr member
    Welcome to the other side of the tracks.
    Good luck with the eardrum. I perforated mine years ago wakeboarding. It was pretty anoying not being able to hear out of that ear for a while. But eventualy everything got back to normal.

I have a friend that is selling his Iron horse Yakuza. He didn't ride it at all last year! I think it's an 07 or 08 size small. The thing is a heavy weight, but has upgraded Marz Jr.T upfront and Marz WC out back.

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/freeri...6_1543crx.aspx

Also Chainlove has RM slayer ?70 the one for freeride on their site occasionaly or the super sexy Intense SS
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

dirt visionary
    Hey yes there is a very good deal on a rocky mountain on craigslist . Its a small and was a a guys wifes ride so its gently used. Check it out good price also .
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

dirt visionary

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    That DHR deal Carmen found is a no brainer in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Or buy my "battleaxe" and I'll get a DHR

pedaller
    Just go already and get an xray. It's better to know what you're dealing with than to find out a week later that it's worse that you think. What if you do have a broken bone like NoelG did last spring (fall?) and need surgery? Do you really want to lose this week of recovery? Best scenario is that you have no breaks and you'll be riding this weekend. Worst - you're broken. If the latter, you'll need casting or surgery and then SIX weeks of recovery. You don't want to waste any riding time!!! Use that insurance. Peace of mind is a wonderful thing
    It was Memorial Day on Alta and it was 3 months of no riding. I knew it was broken right away - of course I heard the *pop pop* I had a broken hand not wrist.

I hope you are a-ok TiSS'er
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

Downhill Spokesmodel
    ... but which one? Size small needed. Anyone know of a good deal on a primo girlfriend/wife bike?

More pics will follow from an incredible life-changing adventure last week in BC with a bunch of cool friends, but here's the short tale of my last day at Whistler... After fighting all week with my 29er FS Lunchbox on Whistler, North Shore, and Squamish trails, I rented a Rocky Mountain Flatline on my last day at Whistler and my world will never be the same. The DH bug has been planted deep in my head* and I need a big bike ASAP!

*perhaps the bug crept in thru the hole I blew in my eardrum on day one. I've had some odd injuries, but this one tops them all. Yup, I broke my eardrum. Thankfully I was back on the bike that afternoon, and despite being able to blow air out my ear, my balance and intellect were intact.
    So you'll be riding the ShortBus this winter?
    Come on board with the hooligans and welcome to THE DARK SIDE!
    Now I DRIVE the short bus!!

Help increase ShortBus' rep

A Huckin' Hypocrite

Welcome to easy street...

When I read you were gonna rock the 29er at the Schley camp I was tempted to suggest renting a bike but didn't wanna be "typical anti 29er DH dude" cause I figured if anybody could get the most fun out of a 29er on that terrain it would be you , however the geometry and suspension of the DH bike just changes everything for the better, well except peddlin' up the hill. You look like a natural hittin the ladder drop and standin behind that monster with your pressure suit on The group injury report sounds a little expensive but the pics and vids sure look like fun.

And for something to add to your research may I suggest the Transition Syren... not full DH, more freeride but very capable

http://blackrockbicycles.com/itemdetails.cfm?id=471
    Last edited by Kymmster; 08-02-2009 at 10:30 PM.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live.
    Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortBusJames
    So you'll be riding the ShortBus this winter?
    Come on board with the hooligans and welcome to THE DARK SIDE!
    Winter? I wanna go now! but I guess I need a bike first...

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Kymmster
    When I read you were gonna rock the 29er at the Schley camp I was tempted to suggest renting a bike but didn't wanna be "typical anti 29er DH dude" cause I figured if anybody could get the most fun out of a 29er on that terrain it would be you , however the geometry and suspension of the DH bike just changes everything for the better, well except peddlin' up the hill. You look like a natural hittin the ladder drop and standin behind that monster with your pressure suit on The group injury report sounds a little expensive but the pics and vids sure look like fun.

And for something to add to your research may I suggest the Transition Syren... not full DH, more freeride but very capable

http://blackrockbicycles.com/itemdetails.cfm?id=471
    My Boulder pal Itty Bitty Betty Jen just ordered up a tiny Syren! You could have suggested that I rent a bike for the whole week (others did) but I am stubborn and had to learn on my own that the 29er was not the right bike for my week up north. I still had a blast. The suggestion by Michael on Thurs night to rent a DH bike while at the KING of bike parks after spending a week getting to know the trails was spot on... thanks Mikehell!!!

BTW, I have loads of pics up now on my website - www.durtgurl.com

wrecking crew
    teeheeheee...it gotcha! As you already know...You are welcome to try out my DH-200 for comparison to others.
    ~~~

sixsixtysix
    Winter? I wanna go now! but I guess I need a bike first...
    You still got a couple weekends of Sunrise or Angelfire left in the season to get your fix

As for bikes, the Syren is a womans specific bike, but its not going to gain you any advantage over the Lunchbox with the same travel and similar angles.

I would look at low standover DH bikes like the Norco Team Dh, Tomac Primer, Chumba F5, Evil Revolt or Canfield Jedi (Maybe DooDooBoi will sell you his).

All premium bikes, but I know you like nice shiny things.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sixsixtysix
    You still got a couple weekends of Sunrise or Angelfire left in the season to get your fix

As for bikes, the Syren is a womans specific bike, but its not going to gain you any advantage over the Lunchbox with the same travel and similar angles.

I would look at low standover DH bikes like the Norco Team Dh, Tomac Primer, Chumba F5, Evil Revolt or Canfield Jedi (Maybe DooDooBoi will sell you his).

You should let her try the AZoxc*ck/*agina.

Kathleen in AZ

I do like shiny things
    Thanks for the bike suggestions.

mtbr member
    I do like shiny things
    Thanks for the bike suggestions.
    I think DooDooBoi's Canfield is a great idea for you.
    It has a pretty low standover and its pretty light. Its anodized too, so it still looks pretty mint.

He's in Hawaii right now, but maybe shoot him a PM if you're interested.

dirt visionary
    What he's selling it already??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork
    What he's selling it already??
    Frame only I believe.
    I think he wants to get an '09.

dirt visionary
    Ah ... well that would be a very nice bike for DG to build up

dirt visionary
    This is a priceless picture. Your coming off the medium sized drop with perfect form like you been doing this for awhile. My Daughter is going to love that pic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Doc said it should heal on its own in 10 days to 10 months and I should have it checked out when I get home.
    Don't worry. I've blown out both my ear drums, 2x on the right, 1x on the left wakeboarding. Just don't blow your nose, or do anything to create pressure inside your sinuses, and the doc might give you some anti bacteria ear drops and it'll heal in about 2 weeks. Oh, and your ear will drain fluid for the first 3-6 days.

Not that big of a deal unless you did massive damage, which sounds like you didn't if you were able to ride after it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Always great to have another friend interested in speed and danger!!!!!!! Welcome to the vert side!! Besides, seems as though chicks dig scars - everyone tells a story ya know!!!! All my tatoos were free, just unplanned, LOL!!!!!!

Downhill Spokesmodel

I'll throw a vote toward an F5. Excellent bike, but I'm a little biased.
    I think they have a good grassroots deal going on now (especially if you are interested in the team anodized blue color).

mtbr member

mtbr member
    http://www.competitivecyclist.com/mo...i-vp-5846.html

You can ride South with this one.

Pivoteer

More AM than DH if that is what she is looking for. 67 head angle is too steep. Now a 64 head angle on the DHR....well...again, I am biased.

~~~~~~~~
    I love it

similar thing to what my SO has gone through with the whistler experience, she'll enjoy following your story.

Last year she finally decided it was time to graduate to a bigger bike for bike park duties after numerous trips slaying it on her 5 spot so she rode the Highline and DHR and fell in love with the DHR and ordered one for herself.

wretch
    best reccomendation yet. I've seen a bunch of out on the hill (N*) and they look stellar. . . probably not too shabby of a ride either. . .

mtbr member
    very cool photo

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    I love it

similar thing to what my SO has gone through with the whistler experience, she'll enjoy following your story.

Last year she finally decided it was time to graduate to a bigger bike for bike park duties after numerous trips slaying it on her 5 spot so she rode the Highline and DHR and fell in love with the DHR and ordered one for herself.
    Great shot! So your gal went with the DHR? The Homers in our group actually suggested that I contact you and see if your small Highline might be ignored in your garage and try to talk you out of it. I'm still thinking I need a dedicated DH bike, something markedly different from my Lenz FS 29ers (I had a 5Spot before I went off to 29erland).

It's a Sledgehammer.
    Sep 2005
    how much was it to rent the rocky mountain?

Brit on a trip
    Nov 2006
    Fantastic trip Kathleen - just blown half the morning looking at your pics

Hope the ear heals up at the quicker end of the spectrum - I need to buy shares in helmet manufacturing now you have stepped it up

The bugs gotcha now!
    Growing old is mandatory - growing up is optional

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by jperson
    how much was it to rent the rocky mountain?
    CAN$99 for one day. If you rent it 4 days or more it'd be only $59/day. Considering the hassle of packing your own bike and the $100 each way to fly, it does make sense to rent. Of course, by next year I'll have my own sweet rig and will have to have it with me! I rented at Summit bikes in the Village: www.summitsport.com

I'm Lazy, So I Shuttle
    Nice Pics DG! You have been changed forever! Look forward to seeing u on Shuttles!
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.- Julie Furtado

banned
    Too bad Costco doesn't sell DH bikes in bulk. There are about 5 or 6 people including myself that need a frame.

Obama, where are you at for our stimulus?

Kathleen in AZ
    Thx. I just e-mailed him to see if the bike is still available. Looks like a good starter for me! I also will contact go-ride see if I can get the small DHR painted a diff color than silver. Can't have the same exact bike as Lynnette! I hope to put a leg over a few different little DH sleds this weekend to test the feel of different rides. BTW, if my credit card hadn't been rejected at Summit Bikes for a hefty foreign high-risk purchase, I would now be the proud owner of one sweet purple Flatline... ooooo, she was a beauty! Looks like my Mom was channeling thru the cc company and put the halt on an extreme impulse buy

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    DG,

Intense is releasing the 951 as a complete in a couple weeks might be worth considering.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have a small Morewood Izimu with a Cane Creek Double barrel for sale. I can get it painted whatever color you'd like (it is currently raw). I was thinking $800-900. PM if you're interested/want pictures.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by assgrinder
    I have a small Morewood Izimu with a Cane Creek Double barrel for sale. I can get it painted whatever color you'd like (it is currently raw). I was thinking $800-900. PM if you're interested/want pictures.
    Any color? Thanks for the offer.... I'm pretty ignorant on linkage designs, but at the advise of my riding pals I am trying to steer clear of single pivot frames.

dirt visionary
    Non DW dhr's are indeed single piviots also.

Kathleen in AZ
    Non DW dhr's are indeed single piviots also.
    Hmmm... I really have no idea what I'm talking about. Truth is, I'd likely be happy with anything that ends up in my hands.

sixsixtysix
    Hmmm... I really have no idea what I'm talking about. Truth is, I'd likely be happy with anything that ends up in my hands.

I saw that Turner on Go-Ride last night after you stopped by Cactus. Thats a pretty sweet deal with the 2010 Boxxer and all, and with it being raw you could run it over to AZ Powdercoat and have it painted any color you wanted for around $100.

Kathleen in AZ
    I saw that Turner on Go-Ride last night after you stopped by Cactus. Thats a pretty sweet deal with the 2010 Boxxer and all, and with it being raw you could run it over to AZ Powdercoat and have it painted any color you wanted for around $100.
    Ooooooo. I hope to ride Lynnette's this weekend. My cc is back in bizness so the order may be placed as soon as Saturday! haha. But is the non-DW link DHR a single pivot design or some other multi-bar hinge-happy variation?

Kathleen in AZ
    so excited I'm double posting... sorry

mtbr member
    Ooooooo. I hope to ride Lynnette's this weekend. My cc is back in bizness so the order may be placed as soon as Saturday! haha. But is the non-DW link DHR a single pivot design or some other multi-bar hinge-happy variation?
    Non-DW is a single pivot.

Wow, that's a sweet rig on Go-Ride.
    How about you order one me while you're at it
    j/k!

I think you would be very happy with that bike though.

sixsixtysix

Its a single pivot, but then again some of the fastest DH bikes around are single pivot's or some variation of them. Everyone has their preference, but the DHR is a tried and tested frame and a good deal for that complete.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Oops, I posted the wrong thing. Anyways:

The DHR could be described as a multi (4) bar bike. 4-bar is a general engineering term, but Specialized's marketing department tried to advertise their bikes as the only "true" 4-bar bikes and all others as "faux" 4-bar bikes. This was a brilliant move many years ago by their marketing department and it has caught on big-time. The "4-bar" bike just refers to something that has 4 parts and incorperates a linkage. In most cases it's the frame, chainstay, seatsay, and linkage. In the case of something like the DHR or a moto-link type frame, it's the frame, swingarm, moving link 1 and moving link 2. It is a single pivot, and according to the "old" definition of 4-bar it's one of those too, but the best current way to describe it is a linkage-driven single pivot. With a DH bike it's much easier to optimize the pivot location because they don't have to deal with different chainlines caused by different sized chainrings, although putting something on there that is not normal (like a 44t or a 28t) would cause the bike to behave differently and probably less than optimally. Depending on the bike, it can be easier to make a laterally rigid bike as a single-pivot compared to a horst-link type bike, but there are examples of each that go against this as well. The Knolly is an exceptionally rigid horst-link bike, while some of the higher-pivot designs like the old bullits and others don't lend themselves well to lateral rigidity. Usually when the single pivot incorperates a swing-linkage like the DHR or Foes bikes the rigidity is boosted considerably.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Kathleen,

You need a DH bike like you need another hole in your head!

Wait...a...minute...

ROFL!

-- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

suvlako
    I'll be your obama... Custom Demo 8 for sale. PM me.

Pivotal figure
    I absolutely loved my DHR, super low center of gravity and crazy solid build. The new DW version should be even nicer if you can wait for it to become available. That Intense 951 also looks nice. One of the guys from Decline was riding that at Whistler, very clean bike.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Just Joshin' ya!
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Any color? Thanks for the offer.... I'm pretty ignorant on linkage designs, but at the advise of my riding pals I am trying to steer clear of single pivot frames.
    I'd like to meet and great these riding pals. If I remember correctly single pivots have won a lot of races..

mtbr member

don't forget...

FOES.
    Mine is 11+ yrs old. I'm not small and I don't pick the best lines
    I got it second or third hand and have never had an issue.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by suvlako
    I'll be your obama... Custom Demo 8 for sale. PM me.
    Pics are great, bike looks clean, price is right. Looks like this could be the one. Have you told your wife yet that you're selling her bike (in order to get her a new one)? My buddy Lee wants to know if the large is for sale too Clean out the garage and make room for new bikes! Road trip to Tucson to visit Mr. and Mrs. Suvlako this weekend!!!!!

suvlako
    Kind of in a bind as we have a trip already booked to Whistler in two weeks. I would take three for the large w/o ti spring. I'll talk with the wifee tonight.

Kathleen in AZ
    Kind of in a bind as we have a trip already booked to Whistler in two weeks. I would take three for the large w/o ti spring. I'll talk with the wifee tonight.
    Wifee definitely needs a new bike - let me help fund that purchase Lee is probably not too serious about the large, but I'm ready to buy the small!!!

suvlako
    Spoke with the Mrs and she said "no way!!" Sorry... There is a guy that snatched upa bunch of Spec's demo 7 test bikes on ebay. you might be able to get a great deal on a demo. Don't be turned off by the "haters" who say Demo's are no good. They are AWESOME bikes. I have owned nothing but demos for four years(including 04's, 05, 07, 08, 09). Not saying they are the best or putting doen anyone else's dh rigs. Just saying a lot of people bad mouth them because they are "Big bad" Specialized. Also check Brennen at Global Bikes, he might be able to get you a great deal on 08's.

Kathleen in AZ
    Spoke with the Mrs and she said "no way!!" Sorry... There is a guy that snatched upa bunch of Spec's demo 7 test bikes on ebay. you might be able to get a great deal on a demo. Don't be turned off by the "haters" who say Demo's are no good. They are AWESOME bikes. I have owned nothing but demos for four years(including 04's, 05, 07, 08, 09). Not saying they are the best or putting doen anyone else's dh rigs. Just saying a lot of people bad mouth them because they are "Big bad" Specialized. Also check Brennen at Global Bikes, he might be able to get you a great deal on 08's.
    You are such a tease oh well, the search continues...

Fragile - must be Italian
    Have you looked at the venerable Kona Stinky? They make them in like 7 sizes so I'm sure one could be small enough for you. Plus with gawd-knows-how-many-years-in-production with about a zillion sold, I'm sure they are onto a good thing. I've never wanted one...but then I've never wanted anything that weighs more than 30 pounds either.

http://www.konaworld.com/09_stinkydeluxe_en.cfm

Edit - I think the Stinky Deeluxe is what you would want...not the Stinky Air. That green/white color combo is bomber if I do say so myself.

Thx...Doug
    Last edited by dgangi; 08-05-2009 at 10:35 PM.

It's a Sledgehammer.
    Sep 2005
    There are plenty of good single pivot bikes out there. Yeti comes to mind.
    Get a good name brand and something that makes you smile
    when you look at it; you'll want to ride it more. Isn't that what DH
    is all about? GOOD TIMES!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    Have you looked at the venerable Kona Stinky? They make them in like 7 sizes so I'm sure one could be small enough for you. Plus with gawd-knows-how-many-years-in-production with about a zillion sold, I'm sure they are onto a good thing. I've never wanted one...but then I've never wanted anything that weighs more than 30 pounds either.

http://www.konaworld.com/09_stinkydeluxe_en.cfm

Edit - I think the Stinky Deeluxe is what you would want...not the Stinky Air. That green/white color combo is bomber if I do say so myself.

Thx...Doug
    The Stinky is a solid bike, but I don't think DG would like it.

Freeride bikes are a compromise between All Mountain and DH. They don't do either very well. She has a 6" bike already, so if she really wants a true DH sled, buy a DH sled.

Stinky's are also pretty heavy and they have some funky pedalling characteristics. I loved mine (2000-era) but it had some drawbacks. I got on a Foes Mono and was blown away by how much faster I was.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    The Stinky is a solid bike, but I don't think DG would like it.

Freeride bikes are a compromise between All Mountain and DH. They don't do either very well. She has a 6" bike already, so if she really wants a true DH sled, buy a DH sled.

Stinky's are also pretty heavy and they have some funky pedalling characteristics. I loved mine (2000-era) but it had some drawbacks. I got on a Foes Mono and was blown away by how much faster I was.
    Yup, I'm looking for a true DH sled.... the kind that one does not pedal uphill. And if it happens to be less than 40 lbs that'd be cool, but I'm not counting on it. Maybe I'll be like you, Kavu, and occasionally ride my DH bike to work for $hits and giggles. Still searching... I know it's out there somewhere but I'd rather not drop another $5k. Bike expenses this year are really adding up.

mtbr member
    Yup, I'm looking for a true DH sled.... the kind that one does not pedal uphill. And if it happens to be less than 40 lbs that'd be cool, but I'm not counting on it. Maybe I'll be like you, Kavu, and occasionally ride my DH bike to work for $hits and giggles. Still searching... I know it's out there somewhere but I'd rather not drop another $5k. Bike expenses this year are really adding up.
    You totally should It frightens the roadie commuters...heck of a workout too...

Yeah, a quality DH rig is expensive, but keep looking, you'd be amazed at what you can find around the sub-$3K mark.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    Stinky's are also pretty heavy and they have some funky pedalling characteristics.
    Yep and Yep!

My Stinky D weighs in at a hefty 42 big ones. So perhaps that isn't the answer to life.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006

Crap we are in a recession...

It stinks when you can only get one brand new bike in a year... especially when it is only a custom Lenz with lots of bling.... . Oh and go to Whistler for a week.... . Only a smidge jealous here. . It has been one year since I last got a new bike. . Well, I bought the wife an awesome GT from Performance for $600. It looks really cool with Twenty6 pedals on it.....

Back on topic, that DHR for 3999 at go-ride seems like what you need. Heck, it seems like what I need and I don't even downhill. . Well, I did one Wednesday SOMO shuttle.... Is there a cash for clunky bikes program out there.... ...

Back to work,
    bobo

Over the Hill
    Kathleen to bad you can't wait until the end of the lift assist season. Places like Mammoth and Northstar blow out their rental bikes. Two years ago there where some Demo 7's with Fox 40's for $1,400. I know some won't buy a possibly trashed rental bike but how often do we really ride a full DH bike?

Just a thought.

Dean

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dstepper

Just a thought.

Dean

And a damn good thought.

-- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by dstepper
    Kathleen to bad you can't wait until the end of the lift assist season. Places like Mammoth and Northstar blow out their rental bikes. Two years ago there where some Demo 7's with Fox 40's for $1,400. I know some won't buy a possibly trashed rental bike but how often do we really ride a full DH bike?

Just a thought.

Dean
    This is indeed a good thought. I am not opposed to buying a seasoned rig and maybe can do some more rentals between now and then to get a feel for what these places might be offering at the end of the season.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo_krkk_NIN
    It stinks when you can only get one brand new bike in a year... especially when it is only a custom Lenz with lots of bling.... . Oh and go to Whistler for a week.... . Only a smidge jealous here. . It has been one year since I last got a new bike. . Well, I bought the wife an awesome GT from Performance for $600. It looks really cool with Twenty6 pedals on it.....

Back on topic, that DHR for 3999 at go-ride seems like what you need. Heck, it seems like what I need and I don't even downhill. . Well, I did one Wednesday SOMO shuttle.... Is there a cash for clunky bikes program out there.... ...

Back to work,
    bobo
    Lemme guess... you're married (wives are expensive) with kids (kids are expensive). You bought your house in the height of the home explosion and have a hefty mortgage. You're paying monthly on two new vehicles. You have a great paying job, but where does all the money go?

I'm single w/out kids, have a cheap mortgage on a house I bought well before the explosion, drive a paid-for and seldom-in-need-of repair 10-yo vehicle, and have a good paying job. I live cheaply except for my bike habits and still manage to max out my 401k and do other investments every year.

Priorities and life decisions.... we all have a different story

banned
    Do not, repeat DO NOT buy a used bike from Northstar or Mammoth. These bikes have been abused and rode into the ground. I wouldn't even rent one let alone think about purchasing one.

mtbr member

DG give me a call at the office if you wanna be cool.

All the kids are doing it slowly but surely, just ask James and a few others who got one in there sights.

The F5 where super high quality meets affordability, I have a few smalls with your name on them, if you are interested give me a call at the office.

Over the Hill
    This is indeed a good thought. I am not opposed to buying a seasoned rig and maybe can do some more rentals between now and then to get a feel for what these places might be offering at the end of the season.
    Don't wait until the end of the season, they start dumping bikes when things start getting slow. Start calling now and put your name down on what you want.

Dean

wretch
    Buying a rental bike is like marrying a hooker or pornstar. . . fun for a ride till you realize it's been beaten and abused and has a case of the clap. . . then you just long for something a little more "virgin". . .

Maui Grown
    Too bad you're not a medium. I'd sell you my Intense M3 so I could upgrade to an M6.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Trash
    Buying a rental bike is like marrying a hooker or pornstar. . . fun for a ride till you realize it's been beaten and abused and has a case of the clap. . . then you just long for something a little more "virgin". . .
    Yep, loose pivots, loose bushings, possibly ovalized pivots. A virgin bike will be much tighter.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Well, if all these people are suggesting SPs I'm going to chime in again and say I have a morewood izimu with a cane creek double barrel with rear hub and seat post for $800

Just Joshin' ya!
    Mongoose always gets a bad rap because of their Walmart association, but the Boot'r is only $2999.00.
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

It's a Sledgehammer.
    Sep 2005
    MAn that F5 is a awesome lookin bike.

Downhill Spokesmodel
    Quote Originally Posted by jperson
    MAn that F5 is a awesome lookin bike.
    They RIDE AWESOME too!!

~~~~~~~~
    Great shot! So your gal went with the DHR? The Homers in our group actually suggested that I contact you and see if your small Highline might be ignored in your garage and try to talk you out of it. I'm still thinking I need a dedicated DH bike, something markedly different from my Lenz FS 29ers (I had a 5Spot before I went off to 29erland).
    I got the highline all cleaned up and photo'ed to sell last week then got all choked up and couldn't do it. Sure some of our bikes never get ridden, but not ignored.

Really enjoying all the whistler stoke the AZ crew has been sharing!
    time to check airfares again

pin it ya fairy
    Jun 2009

Good job!

hey durtgurl nice shorts.......i saw some dude in flag wearing them with james haha.....how ya doin

Kathleen in AZ
    ... but which one?
    Carmen spied it on go-ride while we were waiting for the plane in Vancouver. I ordered it 6 days later. I got it today. Let the games begin...

p.s. Yes, I know I need to cut the seatpost!
    Last edited by DurtGurl; 08-18-2009 at 09:35 PM.

sixsixtysix
    Very Nice

And yes, cut the seatpost

What's it's maiden voyage gonna be?

Kathleen in AZ
    Very Nice

And yes, cut the seatpost

What's it's maiden voyage gonna be?
    Maybe it'll be sub 39# when I cut the post! Maiden voyage will likely be SoMo, but I gotta heal a fried lower back first

mtbr member
    Wow! that is one nice bike! OK, I got your weekend planned. Pedal South on Sat, hit up Globe shuttles Sun.

suvlako
    DG!! You heading up to Sunrise this weekend for some dh goodness? Didn't you say you had a friend wanting a new rig too? I am selling my own Demo. It's an 09 and in brand new condition. Let me know if your friend is looing and hope to see you on your rig soon. Have fun!
    Maybe it'll be sub 39# when I cut the post! Maiden voyage will likely be SoMo, but I gotta heal a fried lower back first

Kathleen in AZ
    DG!! You heading up to Sunrise this weekend for some dh goodness? Didn't you say you had a friend wanting a new rig too? I am selling my own Demo. It's an 09 and in brand new condition. Let me know if your friend is looking and hope to see you on your rig soon. Have fun!
    haha... dude, we've been thru this already DId you ask your wife if you can sell this one?

Pivoteer
    Hhhooooottttttt!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1