I need a cheap ghetto tubless all mountain SS 29'er tire for PMP and SoMo- Mtbr.com
    banned

I need a cheap ghetto tubless all mountain SS 29'er tire for PMP and SoMo

Not looking to break the bank, but want something strong, reliable and light enough to take my abuse.

Thanks!

My other ride is your mom

mtbr member
    Stay away from s-works tubeless ready tires unless your only looking to get about 20 minutes out of the tire
    Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

Saucy Size
    Any WTB -raptor tire. Yes I know WTB says not to. Ignore them!
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

banned
    [QUOTE=Paul B]Any WTB -raptor tire. Yes I know WTB says not to. Ignore them![/QUOTE

So the Exi-Wolf will work just fine?

How does it fair for an all mountain SS tire?

Wal-Mart tire jokes aside...I love the exi-wolf but have not used it since the summer because I found the sidewalls to be a bit thin for some of the chunkier rides. I'll switch back to it for the summer when I'm doing longer rides....something you may want to consider is the weirwolf when run backwords. Killer corner grip and know 4 folks who are running it as a rear on their SS when run backwords...they say it climbs awesome.

Saucy Size
    Exi works totally fine. It's thin, it's cheap, you'll probably tear a sidewall anywhere other than DC, East/West and Javelina, but it's plump and holds tubeless brew quite well. Get the wire bead -- even cheaper, and it locks the bead better.
    Last edited by Paul B; 01-25-2010 at 11:04 AM.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    Wal-Mart tire jokes aside...I love the exi-wolf but have not used it since the summer because I found the sidewalls to be a bit thin for some of the chunkier rides. I'll switch back to it for the summer when I'm doing longer rides....something you may want to consider is the weirwolf when run backwords. Killer corner grip and know 4 folks who are running it as a rear on their SS when run backwords...they say it climbs awesome.
    I actually prefer a little more progressive tread pattern than the reversed weirwolf currently comes spec'ed with. Something along the lines on a small block 8 crossed with a smoke pannaracer and the rubber compound of a Ritchey Z max, yet retaining the sidewall techonlogy on the exi wolf.

Something like that ran reverse would a great SS tire for PMP, but what about SoMO?

Thanks for the great suggestions!

you're making my head hurt

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by JrockFeltaz
    I actually prefer a little more progressive tread pattern than the reversed weirwolf currently comes spec'ed with. Something along the lines on a small block 8 crossed with a smoke pannaracer and the rubber compound of a Ritchey Z max, yet retaining the sidewall techonlogy on the exi wolf.

Something like that ran reverse would a great SS tire for PMP, but what about SoMO?

WTB Weirwolf LT
    oh, and F tubeless gayness.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly
    WTB Weirwolf LT
    oh, and F tubeless gayness.

What's the LT stand for?

sprocket
    What's the LT stand for?
    who cares.
    get the 29er 2.55 LT and just smile.

banned
    who cares.
    get the 29er 2.55 LT and just smile.

Hmm, I always thought that 2.55 was a little to much girth for a True SS tire.
    I found the sweet spot to be around a 2.35! Butta!!

Now if I could only find one made with same compound technology of a Ritchey Z max I'll be golden!

Thoughts?

sprocket

Now if I could only find one made with same compound technology of a Ritchey Z max I'll be golden!

Thoughts?
    those of us (me) who don't fancy suspension, require big rubbers.

banned
    those of us (me) who don't fancy suspension, require big rubbers.
    did you read the whole post, or are you just that dim?

sprocket
    did you read the whole post, or are you just that dim?
    I really so don't care. you can ride any friggin tire you want in any size and still be able to ride anywhere you want. why limit yourself?

banned
    I really so don't care. you can ride any friggin tire you want in any size and still be able to ride anywhere you want. why limit yourself?

This is simply untrue. You need specific tires for specific riding styles and terrain.

If there was any truth to what you said, there would ony be one tire availible,

that is simply not the case.

mtbr member
    I have been running this as my rear tire on SoMo the last month without a tear yet
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Lite+Tire.aspx

It's dirt cheap but seems sturdy enough. The knobs are small and it isn't the most grippy tire ever made but for $20 I am plenty happy.

sprocket
    This is simply untrue. You need specific tires for specific riding styles and terrain.

If there was any truth to what you said, there would ony be one tire availible,

that is simply not the case.

whatever. I use one tire for everything, why can't you? are you that structured in your life that you have to make things more complicated than it is worth?
    Going with your imbecile level logic would tell me that you have 8 sets of wheels and tires for your many trucks and cars that you would supposedly have if you kept to this idiocracy of yours.

banned
    whatever. I use one tire for everything, why can't you? are you that structured in your life that you have to make things more complicated than it is worth?
    Going with your imbecile level logic would tell me that you have 8 sets of wheels and tires for your many trucks and cars that you would supposedly have if you kept to this idiocracy of yours.
    That's what all seasons are for dumbsss. Mountain bike tires are a little behind the times.

sprocket
    That's what all seasons are for dumbsss. Mountain bike tires are a little behind the times.
    like I said
    weirwolf LT 2.55

it is like an all season tire for mountain bikes.

banned
    like I said
    weirwolf LT 2.55

it is like an all season tire for mountain bikes.

Thoughts?

banned
    Grammar and punctuation can be you're friend too!

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Light
    Grammar and punctuation can be you're friend too!
    it looks like you don't know them either.

sprocket
    so go buy a Panarcer Rampage and deal with the results.

mtbr member
    I didn't read the whole post either, but I just converted to Tubeless and run a WTB Weirwolf 2.5 on the front, and Specalized Captain 2.0 on the rear. I tried to convert Exiwolf, but could not get it to seat completely.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

banned
    Sep 2007
    If you want cheap, find a CST Caballero 29 x 2.25. Works fine tubeless on my Flows on my RIP. $14, you get what you pay for, if you rip a sidewall, you won't break the bank. If it doesn't work out for you, not high enough performance for the price tag, sell it/trade it, or just ride the crap out of it where it does work.

http://aebike.com/page.cfm?action=de...=30&SKU=TR3742

I think you are being unrealistic on your tire specs. Just throw something on there, and get some talent, a rear tire isn't that critical compared to a front tire, if it's a little slippery/greasy, and may even improve your riding skills.

mtbr member
    WW 2.55 LT ( low tread ) is a great SS 29er,, especially tubeless. Seals up great and I run 24-25 PSI on Flows. I ride SOMO 3x a week and have torn other tires, but never this one. I get more mileage from this tire than any other.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by azjonboy
    WW 2.55 LT ( low tread ) is a great SS 29er,, especially tubeless. Seals up great and I run 24-25 PSI on Flows. I ride SOMO 3x a week and have torn other tires, but never this one. I get more mileage from this tire than any other.
    Jenson has these for under 30 bucks right now. I just ordered some!
    WTB WEIRWOLF LT 29" TIRE 1 @ $27.77 ea.
    (58/55) Race, 29"

banned
    Jenson has these for under 30 bucks right now. I just ordered some!
    WTB WEIRWOLF LT 29" TIRE 1 @ $27.77 ea.
    (58/55) Race, 29"

They are on sale for a reason, they suck. Tread pattern and compound are awfull.

sprocket
    They are on sale for a reason, they suck. Tread pattern and compound are awfull.
    Tell me how you really feel.

Got a suspension fork
    I don't think it fits your cheap classification, but for what it's worth I am digging the Bontrager 29-3 I put up front, much better than the Nevegal in my opinion.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    just ordered a few. Thanks for the heads up!
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member

.......Kinda like Rebecca Romijn Stamos, you know, before she got Stamosed.
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Thanks for the nod on the cheap WWs. Been wanting to try some on my new SS and ordered a couple.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by randyharris
    I don't think it fits your cheap classification, but for what it's worth I am digging the Bontrager 29-3 I put up front, much better than the Nevegal in my opinion.
    I got tired of sidewall tears and threw the 2.35 version on the back of my RIP. Positives are that I feel confident this tire can withstand the wear and tear of the trails I ride and the sidewalls are the thickest I have run, I think. Negatives are that the lack of side tread does present some washout potential and I do lose confidence pushing the tire in and through sharp fast turns. Last thought, I may not be able to rip these down and through tight turns, but at least I finish my ride without having to patch or repair a sidewall tear.
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

mtbr member
    Running them at 24-25 psi on Flows and they corner nicely.
    you're lucky enough.

banned
    Sep 2007
    Not looking to break the bank, but want something strong, reliable and light enough to take my abuse.

Thanks!

"Cheap, Strong, Light, pick two." Keith Bontrager

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    "Cheap, Strong, Light, pick two." Keith Bontrager

Not sure who really said that, I've heard it was Tom Ritchey, Joe Breezer, and now Bontrager. Regardless I love it.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

banned
    Really??

I think it's a great front tire.

rock crusher
    Aug 2008
    I too have given up on WW's as a front tire: Love the volume, but the LT 29er version is a bear to try and steer in the loose stuff. I am preferring it as a rear SS tire... rolls fast and more cush on a hardtail.

I did just get an Intense IEX2L 29x2.25 from the brown truck today (cheap, about $19 at jenson), and the sidewalls and tread have a very thick casing, yet still a fairly low, Nevegal-like center tread pattern. May set them up tubeless too. For that price, I am willing to take a chance.

FWIW; I run Halo Freedom 29ers on the SS. Exi's, WW's, and Nevegals (all used) and they all failed to set up ghetto tubeless. Only a new Specialized Purgatory 29x2.4 was successful. This may be more of a rim issue though, the Halos, while a great rim, do seem to run smaller.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    After waiting for several days, I find today that Jenson doesn't even have the WTB tires, although their site said they did. Looking for something relatively cheap and high volume for my SS. I've run the Geax Sahuaro as a rear and liked it. Wonder how it would do on both ends.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    After waiting for several days, I find today that Jenson doesn't even have the WTB tires, although their site said they did. Looking for something relatively cheap and high volume for my SS. I've run the Geax Sahuaro as a rear and liked it. Wonder how it would do on both ends.
    Can't really answer that other than to say I've run WTB almost exclusively on my SS. Needed a new rear recently, and Eric at Slippery Pig recommended the Saguaro. I liked it, but it unfortunately lasted maybe 4 rides before I got a nasty sidewall gash. Might have been just luck of the draw, but I wore WTBs for 4 years, and never tore a sidewall.

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Needed a new rear recently, and Eric at Slippery Pig recommended the Saguaro. I liked it, but it unfortunately lasted maybe 4 rides before I got a nasty sidewall gash.
    Was it the TNT or folded version?
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome. :)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trb2929
    Was it the TNT or folded version?
    Pretty sure it was folded.

Shovel Ready
    I put a TNT version on right before the leg mishap. Seemed to have a pretty tough side wall. I only had one ride on it though so I can't say how well it will hold up. I do know the Ardent sucked and the Halo Choir Master held up well.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome. :)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant

Got the notice yesterday that they had shipped. Guess we'll see.
    you're lucky enough.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Actually, after all that, I got a shipping notice, too. Should be here Monday I'd imagine.

Members who have read this thread: 0