I know I will get some feedback here!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

I know I will get some feedback here!

I am researching an article about shopping habits for a future article on the site and had a couple of questions for the peeps here. I have this on a couple forums I go to, but somehow feel this one will get the most answers!

Online shopping-
    -Do you buy stuff online?
    -What do you buy?
    -What will you not buy online?
    -How much have you spent in last year online?
    -Why do you prefer to shop online?
    -What do you not like about online shopping?
    -If you could make a suggestion to online retailers what would it be?

Brick and Mortar shopping?
    -How much have you spent in a store?
    -Why do you like the store experience?
    -What bugs you about the store experience?
    -What would you like to see in your store?

How do you shop-
    -If you have a question about an item online who do you ask for advice?
    -Do you feel the in store people know what they are doing enough to ask them for advice?
    -Do you ever check out or size an item in store then purchase online?
    -Have you ever asked a store to match or come close to online pricing?
    -Have they cooperated with you?

Feel free to add in comments that don't fit into the above questions or skip the ones you can't answer. I am looking for honest answers here- if you would rather remain anonymous to the rest of the board- just pm me your answers.

AND PLEASE- lets stay on topic and not discuss others answers on this thread. Feel free to start a new one and discuss and I can guarantee when the arty is done and posted, you can comment/slam/whatever on our site or here!
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    Here is a simplified answer

Internet Pros:

-CHEAPER / LESS MONIES / CHEAPER
    -more options (assuming using more than one online vendor - sometimes each vendor has a quite a few options themselves )
    -saves gas

Internet Cons:

-product size/fit/color can differ from expectations
    -returns can be hassle (sometimes)

and basically categories flipped for Brick & Mortar

EDIT: I might not buy a car online? other than that I can not think of anything that I have bought in a store that i have not purchased online...

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    having run an online store for 7 years,,,

i used to have lots of AZ customers, but after i moved here and started collecting AZ sales tax,, i have had only 1 order shipping within the state in the past 9 weeks, but my IL sales have exploded at least 10x. sales tax is obviously a big issue for consumers,, and that is why California and some other states are going after the big online retails trying to collect sales tax even from affiliate sales, claiming they have a nexus in that state even without a physical presence (and hence why amazon instantly dropped all affiliate programs in those states when they passed their laws)

for buying for myself,, i hate driving,, i hate having to deal with parking,, and i love the free 2-day shipping with amazon prime membership. on some items i can even get same day delivery for 3.99 here,, which is less than it costs in gas to drive most anywhere.

mtbr member
    Z and Mike- Thanks! the tax thing was something I forgot to consider and that is exactly why I went public for answers. I am so glad Al Gore invented the internet!

EDR
    Too many questions for me to answer individually, sorry. I will say that I love zero sales tax in most cases, like not having to drive anywhere if I don't need item today. And most importantly I love the silly high I get waiting for the truck to arrive

Zappos far and away has the best selection and C/S of anywhere I shop. LOVE that place. Free shipping both ways, they provide a pre-paid return label if needed and they ship your replacement item with free next day shipping!!! Plus after a few purchases they upgrade you to free next day shipping on any item you order from then on.

Con's to shopping locally? Tax but that's no biggie most of the time. Gas.
    Pros - get to put the stuff in your hand first or try it on.

parenting for gnarness
    largely my answers reflect what you've already heard. Other than groceries\consumables and hardware, I probably shop 90% online. Bigger selection, better prices, shop how you want.

The exception for me is when i need to see, feel, try on the item. And, when the value add from the store makes me want to patronize them. I am happy to patronize Rage cause I get great advice, good wrenching, directly support people I like, and regularly use their track. Other specialty stores I patronize are Checker Pools, Sprinkler World, and similar where I need advice and am confident in their inventory.

Hardware stores I usually shop locally cause of shipping fees, and i usually need to figure out the right part.

I'll browse sporting good stores and shop for deals, but they are rarely my first choice - Backcountry.com and similar are just too convenient.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    I like to support my local shops. I like to see the same friendly faces and BS, I like to see all the new stuff coming in. There are times that I like to shop online. Sometimes it is because it is cheaper, sometimes it is because I can get it faster than if my LBS was to order it. I have checked out an item and then ordered it online..... My purchase to the local shop were at least $15K this year to maybe $5K online...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    My time is valuable to me.
    I can order something from the internet in a couple of minutes.
    To shop locally, I have to drive there (ever notice everything is at least 30minís from your house?), try and find what Iím looking for, deal with ignorant/un-courteous mall wanders/staff, wait in line for someone arguing the price, get back to my 125*F vehicle and drive home.
    Want to buy brake rotors for your Jeep, figure 2hrs of wasted time.
    My bike, Slayer 70

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    Z and Mike- Thanks! the tax thing was something I forgot to consider and that is exactly why I went public for answers. I am so glad Al Gore invented the internet!
    Ya i dont even think about the tax either. Typically because even with tax ( if any ) the prices online can not be beat.

Now i did pick up a new light from REI the other month -- they had a 20% off coupon for clearance items !! could not pass that up -- almost came out to 50% off retail and i get the customer service and return policy of REI, win win.

mtbr member
    full survey

Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post

-Do you buy stuff online? YES
    -What do you buy? Offroad race parts, bike parts, airplane parts, industrial equipment
    -What will you not buy online? underwear, hats, boots, food
    -How much have you spent in last year online? $10K personal, $200K business
    -Why do you prefer to shop online? Convenient, fast, good price
    -What do you not like about online shopping? Shipping fiascoes, no touchy-feely
    -If you could make a suggestion to online retailers what would it be? Keep up the good work, have an intelligent human available by telephone.

-How much have you spent in a store? $100's
    -Why do you like the store experience? I only like pawn shops, gun shops, and liquor stores and exactly two LBS's
    -What bugs you about the store experience? clowns and presumptuous retards
    -What would you like to see in your store? Cool hi tech go fast stuff that can only be had online...

How do you shop-
    -If you have a question about an item online who do you ask for advice? Call around, find a content expert, research, research, research...
    -Do you feel the in store people know what they are doing enough to ask them for advice? Rarely but sometimes
    -Do you ever check out or size an item in store then purchase online? Absolutely
    -Have you ever asked a store to match or come close to online pricing? YES
    -Have they cooperated with you? rarely

-Have you ever spent more than you had to just to support a local shop? Yes, usually the case for MTB and dirt bike consumables...

Check my pulse...

Huffy Rider
    Online shopping-
    -Do you buy stuff online?Yes
    -What do you buy?Everything, even my bed, TV, car parts, moto parts, bikes and bike parts, anything that can be shipped!
    -What will you not buy online?I haven't found anything I won't buy online
    -How much have you spent in last year online?No idea, but just about everything but gas, groceries, eating out
    -Why do you prefer to shop online?Easy, I can research before I buy, PRICE
    -What do you not like about online shopping?Can't touch it till it gets here, not usually a big deal
    -If you could make a suggestion to online retailers what would it be?The best descriptions, photos, weight, more photos, reviews that you can

-How much have you spent in a store?Only a little at my LBS and Costo/Walmart
    -Why do you like the store experience?I don't, but I do like to touch and try stuff on
    -What bugs you about the store experience?Stupid people, driving to get there, walking around, temptation to buy more stuff
    -What would you like to see in your store?Internet prices and knowledge (ie reviews and research)

How do you shop-
    -If you have a question about an item online who do you ask for advice?I research first, then ask customer service or help desk
    -Do you feel the in store people know what they are doing enough to ask them for advice?No
    -Do you ever check out or size an item in store then purchase online?YES
    -Have you ever asked a store to match or come close to online pricing?Yes, my LBS and he does match, and I will buy from him first
    -Have they cooperated with you?Yes, when he can without losing $$

mtbr member
    Online shopping-
    -Do you buy stuff online? Sometimes
    -What do you buy? Various misc. items
    -What will you not buy online? Things I can get from a local business today that's fairly priced.
    -How much have you spent in last year online? Probably a couple thousand, but I don't really know
    -Why do you prefer to shop online? I don't prefer to shop online. I prefer to spend my money with local small businesses. I am sometimes forced to purchase online...
    -What do you not like about online shopping? It can be a pain to return things if not right. Items can be listed incorrectly, ie size, weight, overall description
    -If you could make a suggestion to online retailers what would it be? Accurately describe your items. I want descriptions like you're selling it on e-bay for double value.

-How much have you spent in a store? I have no idea- my LBS has taken quite a few paychecks, same with restaurants.
    -Why do you like the store experience? Being able to handle what I am about to purchase. If I'm at Walmart or Cosco, watching the freaks and geaks in the store.
    -What bugs you about the store experience? Limited selection, waiting in lines, dealing with a bunch of weird @$$ people.
    -What would you like to see in your store? Again, I really think highly of my LBS. As far as other stores, selection, more competitive prices, and more knowledgeable people would be nice.

How do you shop-
    -If you have a question about an item online who do you ask for advice? I'm online- I'll do research
    -Do you feel the in store people know what they are doing enough to ask them for advice? If its a good store, yes. If its a store that's employed by a bunch of 15 year old kids, probably not.
    -Do you ever check out or size an item in store then purchase online? Not usually, but if it's going to save a bunch of money I could.
    -Have you ever asked a store to match or come close to online pricing? Yes
    -Have they cooperated with you? Most of the time my LBS will discount an item to be right about online price without shipping. Sometimes, like tires, they just cant.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is youíll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies so far everyone! I am getting a great cross sectional view of buyer preference and the drivers behind them so far. I also have this on a MX site and a FMX site so comparing answers between them is pretty interesting.

I want to disclaim real quick that this article is in no way a "slam folks for not buying local" kind of thing. In fact- it is just the opposite. I myself see the future of commerce going to a hybrid of B&M/E-Commerce and hopefully our favorite LBS's will jump on board or I am afraid they will soon fail. On the other hand- many internet stores need to shape up thier operations quick as the Brick and Mortars (B&M-yes I know you were curious) will figure out how to bring proper customer service and care to the game and tank some of those out to make a quick buck. Kinda neat to see history in the making like this! Thanks again for your help-and I am still soliciting suggestions!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies so far everyone! I am getting a great cross sectional view of buyer preference and the drivers behind them so far. I also have this on a MX site and a FMX site so comparing answers between them is pretty interesting.

I want to disclaim real quick that this article is in no way a "slam folks for not buying local" kind of thing. In fact- it is just the opposite. I myself see the future of commerce going to a hybrid of B&M/E-Commerce and hopefully our favorite LBS's will jump on board or I am afraid they will soon fail. On the other hand- many internet stores need to shape up thier operations quick as the Brick and Mortars (B&M-yes I know you were curious) will figure out how to bring proper customer service and care to the game and tank some of those out to make a quick buck. Kinda neat to see history in the making like this! Thanks again for your help-and I am still soliciting suggestions!