mtbr member

Idea! I had a Randy Johnson moment yesterday.

I was riding home from work yesterday and had the opportunity to feel like Randy Johnson. I rode a few laps around Papago, seeing no other mountain biker and remarkably few homeless people, and eventually heading home on Mill Avenue.

Just as I passed under the 202 overpass, I moved right, to transition to the upper sidewalk, and suddenly a pigeon burst out of the tumbleweeds and dived into my front wheel. There was a crunch like ramen noodles, a poof of feathers, and another dead bird on the sidewalk. My first thought was, Randy Johnson obliterated a pigeon with a baseball, so now in addition to be tall and ugly, we have one more thing in common. My second thought was 60psi in a velociorapter is too much air pressure for Papago, and way too much for pigeons.

While I would have no aversion to shooting pigeons, it still was not emotionally satisfying for one to commit suicide on my mountain bike wheel. I can still hear the ramen noodle crunch and see little feather bits on my front tire. Yech.

I contemplated stopping and coordinating a funeral for the dear departed pigeon, but opted to leave it for the homeless guys and continued on home.

I am Walt

Well, since you mention it...

Last year, on July 4th, I was driving down the 101 in the pre-dawn early AM to drop my kids at swim practice and then go to SoMo for a ride. So I had my bike on top of the car.

Lots of birds swoop from side to side across the 101 and, sure enough, two birds swept across the highway from the right. They were higher than my car, but not my bike, and the left grip nailed one of them. At 80 mph. I heard and felt it and instantly knew what had happened. I opened up the sunroof and there, stuck to my left grip were blood, feathers and...a bird leg that had been ripped off. It was wrapped around the grip (but not the brake lever, which, with disc brakes and no insert, would have screwed up my front brake).

When I got to the pool to drop the girls off, I grabbed some napkins to clean off the grip and unwrap the leg. That was freaking nasty.

Got a good ride in, though...
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member

Did you keep the leg?

Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    Last year, on July 4th, I was driving down the 101 in the pre-dawn early AM to drop my kids at swim practice and then go to SoMo for a ride. So I had my bike on top of the car.

Lots of birds swoop from side to side across the 101 and, sure enough, two birds swept across the highway from the right. They were higher than my car, but not my bike, and the left grip nailed one of them. At 80 mph. I heard and felt it and instantly knew what had happened. I opened up the sunroof and there, stuck to my left grip were blood, feathers and...a bird leg that had been ripped off. It was wrapped around the grip (but not the brake lever, which, with disc brakes and no insert, would have screwed up my front brake).

When I got to the pool to drop the girls off, I grabbed some napkins to clean off the grip and unwrap the leg. That was freaking nasty.

Got a good ride in, though...
    I had one strange road trip around 1990 up to Vegas that was unparalleled in terms of animal carnage. I had just purchase my first new vehicle, and 4x4 truck and driving up with a buddy to go canoeing down from Hoover Dam. We were cruising along Hwy 93 just past Wickieup, when a rabbit jumped out from the side of the road and smacked into the truck. It sounded like some one had thrown a big rock into the truck. I stopped and there was some nasty, furry guts plastered to the front on the truck. There was a rabbit head dent on the spoiler. It was quite disgusting and I was a little ticked about the dent. We kept going and at least 10 more rabbits jumped into the headlights before we got to I-40. The front end of my brand new truck looked like a scene from Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I count at least five little rabbit head dents after I washed it off. The weird thing was the first rabbit jumped into the bumper at 11:11 pm..

I felt like Elmer Fudd .

John

I railed it like Kong
    Heading from Globe to Safford i hit one of those giant black birds that feed on road kill. I keep wanting to say vultures, but is that what they are? Anyway at about 75-80 mph i'm 30 yds from him when he realizes to get out of the road. It was amazingly majestic to see him jump up, spread his wings, which were about as wide as my Neon, and break my winshield like he was aiming for it. I could not believe the size of that bird. I was dodging birds for about 3 days after that- very traumatic.
    I'm UNIQUE... just like everybody else.