I got tagged- Mtbr.com

Thread: I got tagged

parenting for gnarness

I got tagged

first time ever, someone threw something at me from a car while I was riding. Fortunately it was just a couple cups of ice. it does make you think...
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    This is why I hate people.

Used to get "smoked" all the time when riding on the road in FL. Real mature.

Ahhh the pain....
    let me count the ways I've been tagged...

1. Hit with trailer mirror over left shoulder...knocked off the pavement onto the dirt shoulder, but stayed on the bike
    2. Spit at
    3. Hit with a passengers hand (he might actually have gotten the bad end of that deal...)

All while riding my road bike...in Mesa....

mtbr member
    I had 3 guys on Harleys pass the other day , one bumped his bars on mine and the other two tried, all were laughing their butts off....not cool D-bags!
    Becky

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    first time ever, someone threw something at me from a car while I was riding. Fortunately it was just a couple cups of ice. it does make you think...
    The weird thing is I rode for about 4 years on my road bike in Indiana, never got tagged. Been "boo"'ed a couple of times......oooooo.....you got me.......

I think it was my second year here in AZ, some attempted to peg me with their half-filled
    Jack-in-box cup. Luckily, they were a bad shot. And yes, they looked like they were in their late teens or early 20's.....go figure.

Ever since mountain biking, no one has got me....

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    On a road bike truck with a trailer came up from behind me wnet around then pulled back in the lane and the trailer tagged me knocking me into the curb of the sidewalk, this was on purpose I could see him looking in the mirror and his budy was laughing.
    Then another time on the way back from a Mtn bike ride I was hit with a thirst buster in the thigh, left a large welt and hurt like hell, they were teens.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

E-bikes are Mountain Mopeds

mtbr member
    I've broken several windows, taken off a couple side mirrors, scratched the sides of many vehicles with toe spikes, flattened a couple tires with a handy blade, and even yanked one ******-bag out the window. That's why it's not safe to commute...you may piss off the wrong cyclist. My wife says I'm not allowed to carry, probably a good idea for me. Stay off the pavement, stay out of prison

mtbr member
    Back in the 80s my dad got hit on purpose with a side mirror from some teenage punks, they laughed and yelled at him as they drove on well he got back on his bike and caught them at the next traffic light and they were boxed in well he removed the side mirror and put a dent in the door but he never admits to doing anything to the kids.

I took a orange to the stomach while riding my bmx as kid, knocked the air out of me.

mtbr member
    hitting me purposely is aggravated assault with a dangerous instrument. Gives me the right to defend myself the same way.

Oh, and no more CCW permits for Arizona.

how much for your sister
    It's not the ones who want to do me harm I worry about . I worry more about the ones that don't know I'm there because they're too busy texting or can't see around the truck they are tailgating while riding partially in the bike lane.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnio View Post
    It's not the ones who want to do me harm I worry about . I worry more about the ones that don't know I'm there because they're too busy texting or can't see around the truck they are tailgating while riding partially in the bike lane.
    This exactly for me too.

mtbr member

Let the bikes in!
    I got tagged with a cheeseburger one time back in highschool. Looking back, I regret not bending down to eat it infront of the car that gave it. That woulda thrown them off for sure!

parenting for gnarness
    It happened on McDowell near Val Vista Road in Mesa (a decent neighborhood) on Friday night about 10pm. When it happened it was totally a surprise. i saw the cups fall to the ground and realized really quickly what happened, and heard a deep rumble and saw a light-colored lifted truck speed away. I never thought about catching them cause it was pointless, and other than a little wet i wasn't hurt. My first reaction was like 'cool a car actually saw me!' then I kinda laughed because i suffer so much on a long ride and have injuries from falls... a little ice didnt even make me lose cadence. As i spun on i thought well what if i caught up to them or what if i was packing, and then i realized in AZ its just as likely the other guy is packing and guns are the last thing to start pulling out over something stupid like this. If I'd been hurt I probably would feel differently. After a while however I did want to get off the road, cause i started thinking they are stupid and\or drinking, now their emboldened and might come back... I actually passed a Mesa cop about 3 miles later and told him what happened, thinking maybe they will still be in the area. What else was i gonna do? I did lots of stupid anti-social stuff growing up with cars like dragging trash bags down the street or throwing stuff at parked cars, but i never threw something at a person, so i thought at least telling the officer was the right thing to do, jic the jerks picked up their pace as the night went on...maybe he'd see the truck and be aware of them. Mostly i'm glad that in all my years riding this is the worst I've had yet.
    Last edited by chollaball; 10-09-2011 at 06:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Guess I've just been lucky. I was riding for over ten years before I got hit with a half full cup of soda, and that was fifteen years ago. Other than the occasional shouted insults or the sneaking up and laying on the horn...that's been about it.

mtbr member
    A few years back our dog got out so I hoped on my bike to go find her. It was a Friday night and I was on a dark street. A pick up drove by and I heard the guys in the back shushing each other while taking aim at me. They had oranges and I was 10 feet away. I felt a few of them whiz by my face. Seriously, I was so close to them I don't how they missed. Kids!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If it had happened a month ago you would have thanked them for the cool down and said, "May I have another!"
    agmtb

Huffy Rider
    I have had hot coffee thrown on me at a red light, this was in Cali.

mtbr member
    Wow. It sucks to see all you who have been hit with flying objects while riding down the road. This is just one of the many reasons why I try my best not to be on the road at all...
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

windrider

$600,000 and the driver did time...

I don't know if it was a case of finding the right lawyer, the "pre- top out at $250,000 law" in Texas, or having a witness in just the right place, but a bro of mine got the mirror smack in the back while riding that I saw mentioned in one of these posts and the ******* who did it paid for it. The driver did time, most likely due to previous run ins, but he did time for the assault as well. Daniel was jacked up physically but was riding seriously again about two years later. He told me a couple of years later that if he was given the choice he would take not being hit rather than getting the nearly $1 million settlement he got (the requisite 1/3 to the lawyer.)

These *******s that are doing these things (a bottle whizzing by my ear back in the day) are taking huge risks. Even if they miss you they can likely be charged with some sort of assault, possibly of vehicular assault, which is a criminal driving offense. My current job deals with this on driver records and my legal knowledge is limited but much worse offenses are involved when a vehicle is used as a "weapon." Fortunately the beer bottle back in the day is my only instance of [almost] being "tagged." A blase' attitude toward the offenders is not an appropriate response. Any event should be reported even if you have the briefest description of the vehicle or circumstance. I'm glad the original poster spoke to the cops he saw about it but if that happens on my bike commute I'm going a lot further than that.
    BRM

mtbr member
    Our department at least takes these "attempt to locates" seriously. Any time I see one in my area for a vehicle or person to look out for, I make sure to get to the area as soon as I can and figure out who's doing what and why. Whether it be a drunk driver, someone texting while driving, or kids shooting pellet guns/paintball guns while driving through neighborhoods.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Dubshooter I'm curious, are we just a vocal minority or does this kind of thing get reported frequently? Fortunately I've never had anything like this happen, a couple close calls that were accidents but nothing intentional like you guys are describing. Bummer to hear this happens more than I had thought.

Saucy Size
    I got sideswiped on my road bike a couple years ago -- woman in gigantic black SUV with a couple kids overtook me on the left then turned right -- and some bystanders called the cops. The officer must've been warming up his teleporter when the call came in because he was there like not more than a minute after I'd hit the pavement. Anyway, yeah, he got down to the business of tracking down the driver, found her at her home, and questioned her for like 20 minutes. Really impressed by the reaction time and the treatment of the case.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Some passenger in a car pushed my uncle off his bike while he was riding. People have gotten me with the water in their windshield.
    Last edited by ehigh; 10-10-2011 at 11:53 AM. Reason: spelled push as hush

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    wow,, i dont think ill be taking to the pavement for any rides here... worst ever happened to me in IL is i get mistaken for a chick... its fun when you catch up with a carload of dorks at a stoplight after they just cat-called you and you get to humiliate the **** out of them (no worries since IL has gun restrictions) .

mtbr member
    The intentional objects being thrown doesn't get reported as much as the car almost hitting people in the bike lanes. Especially when you get up by the northern part of the city where it's open roads and the road bikers are out. People just driving in the early mornings not paying attention to where they are going. Or the occassional morning driver still drunk from the late night.

jfk
    mtbr member
    It happened on McDowell near Val Vista Road in Mesa (a decent neighborhood) on Friday night about 10pm.
    After having several incidents of stupidity, mostly in my own neighborhood, I developed my own rule / guideline to avoid riding on Friday and Saturday evenings. Those by far seem to be the worse times. Specifically the 10pm and later time when people are going back out with friends seems to be the worse time. Admittedly, I break my own rule often enough, but I'm a little bit more guarded if I ride at those times.

We walk our dogs by bike and it feels like if I am with my wife it seems like I've had less issues at those times. I don't know if its because I'm with another rider or with a girl.

Hazardous to your health!
    WTF, wow i cant believe this **** happens often, **** that
    2011 Specialized Rockhopper: Captain Tires, Disc Brakes, 24 speed

Upgrades:
    Shimano Clipless pedals
    x9 Rear Derailleur

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Another incident that I was told about by my father was his friend who woke up in a hospital with no recollection of what had happened beyond remembering that there was a truck involved. He got hit in the back of the head while road cycling in Italy with the mirror of a truck. The driver just kept on going.

mtbr member
    Up here in Prescott it happens alot fricken rednecks.Few years back standing up a long climb on my daily commute took a full gatorade bottle to the front wheel they were doing
    about 50 to 60mph almost took the bars out of my hands.Another time got spit at by kids at lunch from high school I chased them all over town on my fixie they hard a hard time dropping me and started to freak and ran some stop signs.Just 2 weeks ago riding down hill on hwy69 going home from work got squished close to the curb then felt a hand grab
    the back of my left arm .Im really glad that the light stayed green I would have killed that guy!

how much for your sister
    It happens but I figure it's Karma for throwing snowballs at cars as a kid.

It's a slugfest!
    A handful of m&m's....felt like I got hit by a shotgun...
    "I've got nothing to hoard...."

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    When I was a teenager, a friend and I were skateboarding back from someplace, and an SUV full of older teens tried running us off the road, and getting in front of us and hitting their brakes.
    The two of us had plenty of time to memorize their license plate on the 3 mile trek back home, we called the cops, gave our report and that chump lost his license and had to deal with his pissed off mom! It was awesome! and somewhat sobering!

Now a days when I ride my bike on road, Im always on lookout for idiots behind the wheel, and I always think back on my sweet revenge!

mtbr member
    I had a guy in Seattle intentionally run me into a jersey barrier. I got his mirror, and 4 rounds of 10mm into his tailgate.

I also got his plate number. Cops found him and his brother in law trying to fix the bullet holes at his BIL's body shop. He got 4 years, his brother in law got 8 months for aiding and abetting.

windrider
    Quote Originally Posted by tattoooo View Post
    I had a guy in Seattle intentionally run me into a jersey barrier. I got his mirror, and 4 rounds of 10mm into his tailgate.

I also got his plate number. Cops found him and his brother in law trying to fix the bullet holes at his BIL's body shop. He got 4 years, his brother in law got 8 months for aiding and abetting.
    How much time did you do?
    BRM

mtbr member
    0. Attempted manslaughter, plus the 4 witnesses that saw him swerve at me, got me off.

parenting for gnarness
    0. Attempted manslaughter, plus the 4 witnesses that saw him swerve at me, got me off.
    did you have it strapped to your hip, or did the guy stop and eat a sandwhich so you had all that time ? Sometimes I carry a cell phone in a hip pocket and could have maybe sprinted enough to get a plate and make a call...but even that would have been a longshot. It would have been righteous and all, but i never even bothered to try.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    With all the video cameras on the market these days it seems a good idea to strap one on and keep it on all your rides,then when it happens you will hopefully have something to help identify the assaulter

mtbr member
    Maybe I am over thinking this but how were you able to get away with firing at a truck driving away from you? Wouldn't this be like shooting a burgalar as he ran away from your house? I'd be inclined to do the same if I were in your shoes but am curious about the legality.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I always call the police. I had one guy arrested in Chandler because he had been reported once before for throwing things at cyclists. It always pays to call the popo on ******bags.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I didn't even know Washington was a carry state...

I don't see how shooting at them was legal... but I would be inclined to do so as well so I am not judging.

mtbr member
    My aunt's boyfriend was riding down hayden around mountain view and some kids threw a whole submarine sandwich at him. He's kinda lame and that story always cracks me up.

we had some kids throw eggs at us riding south down college a few weeks ago on our thursday night group ride. they missed us and ducked into a neighborhood which was a good thing. the last time our group got harassed by a motorist we caught them at the light and surrounded their vehicle. No laws were broken (by us) but that guy will never mess with a cyclist again.
    Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

mtbr member

Got a suspension fork
    did the Tour de Scottsdale course a few weeks ago with a group of guys, we had three separate incidences of people driving and SCREAMING obscenities at us for absolute no reason that I could think of.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

how much for your sister
    Of all the states I've ridden in (quite a few) The top three most intolerant drivers are-
    Missouri
    Florida
    Arizona
    Good thing we have some of the best trails.

Got a suspension fork
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

Meatbomb
    In High School I got tagged by a grapefruit hard enough to knock me down.... I happened to recognize the car and waited until real late that night and took a pair of pliers over to the dude house and pulled all his valve stems.

I was bad.

mtbr member
    About three years ago I was biking through my neighborhood. I was riding when I got tagged with a beer bottle by some punks in a truck. It hurt like hell because it hit my foot and I was wearing crappy tennis shoes. Never found the jerks either...

mtbr member

Firing your 10mm at someone who is no longer a threat to you (driving away...even if leaving a crime scene) is not defensible under the law. If this actually happened, you would most certainly have been charged with a crime.

Posting some crap on here to look like a tough guy is not cool, especially as it may give someone the idea that similar behavior on their part may be legal.

It isn't

Next...
    Last edited by Centurion_; 10-13-2011 at 11:21 AM.

nodejitsu

lol

I think we callin BS on this one.

mtbr member
    I often ride up a local hill which happens to be the downhill section for the local Marathon. The entitled marathon trainees are total *****es and have several verbal run ins, and one guy trying to knock me off the bike.
    178lbs going 13mph vs. 165lbs going 5mph. I was the hammer in that situation.

mtbr member
    BITD I recall a car full of drink teenagers throwing empty beer bottles at a group of us riding home from the BMX track. One bottle smashed on the top tube of my 8 year old bothers bike. My brother was not injured but the mini GT frame had a nice dent on the top tube.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I always laugh when road bikers ask me how I can participate in such a dangerous sport as mountain biking. I reply that I have never had anything thrown at me on a mountain bike trail and moving things never crash into me, I crash into things that are not moving.

It's a Sledgehammer.
    Sep 2005
    mcdowell/mckellips/power road has always given me trouble with the east mesa hillbilly types.

One full sized water balloon knocked me clean off the bike and gave me a giant bruise.
    I've had sodas, hamburgers and bottles all miss.
    My personal favorite was the jelly donut, it was creative.
    It's a rough world out there on a road bike.. a lot of thoughtless people. It's a bit depressing.
    Today at the little league field, there was 3 dog turds on the infield. How does this happen?

Need more cowbell
    Bondo and I got buzzed today on 7th St. north of Carefree Hwy. Guy actually went through the bike lane, off into the dirt and proceeded to spin his tires to spit rocks and dirt at us. Another motorist saw the incident and took off after them to get the plate, but couldn't catch them. I may start wearing my helmet cam....

Eroding into the trail

A**holes!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Just had to post so not everything was negative...

Just got back from a road ride and almost every single vehicle I saw moved over into the other lane, with only one exception! It was almost twilight zone freaky.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    Just had to post so not everything was negative...

Just got back from a road ride and almost every single vehicle I saw moved over into the other lane, with only one exception! It was almost twilight zone freaky.
    that is the vast majority of my experiences. This was the 1 bad one (or, at least one willfully dbag move). However, when I ride I stay in the bike lane and i go single file or move over when a car is up. I hate seeing roadies in packs clogging whole lanes with no regard for traffic, and think that shenanigans does not help the rest of us.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    making up a story about how the guy was 'coming at you' will only tack on a lying-to-police charge once the ballistics and forensics reports come in

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    that is the vast majority of my experiences. This was the 1 bad one (or, at least one willfully dbag move). However, when I ride I stay in the bike lane and i go single file or move over when a car is up. I hate seeing roadies in packs clogging whole lanes with no regard for traffic, and think that shenanigans does not help the rest of us.
    Agreed. I always ride in the lane when there is one. And I always ride alone on the road, so single file it is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    Agreed. I always ride in the lane when there is one. And I always ride alone on the road, so single file it is.
    Um, didn't you ride like 15 wide the other day? And, on the wrong side of the street?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    Um, didn't you ride like 15 wide the other day? And, on the wrong side of the street?
    Touche'. But so did you, and two wrongs make a right.

Need more cowbell
    Casual Tire was riding a road bike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskersOfDeath View Post
    Casual Tire was riding a road bike?
    You know what they say about assumptions? It was a vintage, 2007 Fat Tire cruiser, complete with the milk carton basket!!!!!!!!
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    You know what they say about assumptions? It was a vintage, 2007 Fat Tire cruiser, complete with the milk carton basket!!!!!!!!
    Don't forget the carrots and bunny costume.

wawe member
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    making up a story about how the guy was 'coming at you' will only tack on a lying-to-police charge once the ballistics and forensics reports come in
    Were you looking for this? http://forums.mtbr.com/arizona/mesa-...ft-745453.html

EDR

delete

wrong thread
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 10-19-2011 at 11:33 PM.