I finally saw a damned pig!- Mtbr.com
    Got a suspension fork

I finally saw a damned pig!

I was beginning to think that Havalina were a myth, I've been riding around the Phoenix area for 5+ years and have never seen one.

This morning I rode the full desert classic from Pima Canyon road out to that newish housing development 9 miles down the trail. Just about an 1/8 of a mile before the water tank there is a canopy of trees that hangs over the trail, I actually saw a Havalina in there in the pre-dawn with my lights as I was riding through. I could hear one or two more on the left side near the houses on that side but didn't see them.

After I got back to the car I decided to do the ride a second time (didn't go all the way to the end this time, the heat was wearing on me, but I managed to pull of a nice 30 mile ride out there this morning). At the EXACT same place where the Havalina was on the first time through traveling east, I saw a snake the second time around. Scared the **** out of both of us, he curled up to avoid me and I kinda freaked as I saw him and couldn't stop and damn near road over him.

Well anyway, squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits, jackrabbits, all sorts of birds, even a desert tortoise, but this was the first time siting of a Havalina for me! I'm up for a burro next time

oooh, shiny...
    I've only seen one in a little over a year. If i remember correct it was about 5am on the fire road. Came around the corner near where the Beverly Canyon trail crosses and he was standing in the middle of the road. I think we both scared the hell out of each other. Have not seen any havalina since.

I am Walt
    Javelina
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Here's a little clip from about a month ago:

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by u2metoo
    Here's a little clip from about a month ago:

U2metoo, I think that is the same area where I saw them this morning.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Also, not pigs. Peccaries.

Chunky Monkey

Sag a War Ho

Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    Javelina

Thank you

John
    Lurkers Unite! Never mind....

Pivotal figure
    I rode DC for over 10 yrs before I saw my first Javelina. Now I've seen close to 10 total in less than 2 yrs. We also saw a whole group of them on Javelina trail (which I was also beginning to think was misnamed )
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by Val Garou
    Also, not pigs. Peccaries.
    oink oink, bacon tastes good.

mtbr member
    Don't let your dogs anywhere near those animals if you can help it. Mine curiously found one, let out a yelp, then came back with nearly his entire neck split wide open. 22 staples later. .

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    they have very poor vision. They will run long before but if something is coming after them or they feel cornered the will go crazy with their tusks. Good sighting!!

King Pin
    Come on up to our house in Preskit, in the mornings/evenings you'll see all the javelina you'd ever care to see.

oooh, shiny...
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    Javelina
    Thanks, I can't spell for $hit.

Nice Avatar.

Saucy Size
    There's a mess of 'em out at Pemberton. They're not land-locked like whatever packs (herds, whatevers) remain at SoMo and NoMo.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    great work fred, now take the mystery machine and crew and go find the goat sucker and the lost dutchman........ Watch out for the old man in the shack.
    and the lurker returns to the dark corner

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I always see them under that tree canopy on Desert Classic. I assume they live near there because of shade and/or water?

It startled me the first time... but wait 'til you run into a coyote on the trail. I know they're harmless and usually run off when they see you, but it'll still stop you in your tracks.

Kathleen in AZ
    I saw a damn raccoon high on the rocks up behind the watertank a few weeks back... a raccoon!!! I wonder if some midwesterner transported him to Ahwatukee in a moving van? Hmmm... maybe I did just that in 2000.

Saucy Size
    Weeeeeirdest thing I've seen in the Valley was a fox. For serious. Long, slinky, totally disorienting. Looking at the pix, it could very well have been a coatimundi. Tempe 'burbs. No idea how it got here.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

Kathleen in AZ
    So when I ride thru this graveyard on my way home from work, I always see all sorts of critters... jackrabbits laying around like they're waiting for biscuits, Great horned owls watching me with their heads turned backwards, all sorts of birds, squirrels, and little bunny rabbits. One night last winter I was really late, like 10PM late, riding home from work. My headlights caught two pairs of eyes off to the side so I stopped and turned the headlamp on my handlebar to catch a better view. Perched on a flat gravestone were two creatures. Huge eyes, round ears, cat-like bodies. They stared, I stared. They finally moved over to the next gravestone. They were about Boojum-sized (small catteldog) but skinnier. They moved like a fox but seemed to have rounded rubber bodies with longish tails. I have scoured the internet for desert creatures that resemble these guys but have never matched them up. I look for them every time I roll thru the graveyard.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I was on the DC trail this evening and saw Mr Pig at the same place Randy did. Biggest one I have ever seen, no snakes though

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    Weeeeeirdest thing I've seen in the Valley was a fox. For serious. Long, slinky, totally disorienting. Looking at the pix, it could very well have been a coatimundi. Tempe 'burbs. No idea how it got here.
    I've seen a fox in Tempe also. I was riding with my wife around the business complexes along Priest between Broadway and Southern. We spotted it in one of the empty dirt lots. It didn't look like a Coatimundi or Coyote though, definately a lot more similar to a red fox.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    So when I ride thru this graveyard on my way home from work, I always see all sorts of critters... jackrabbits laying around like they're waiting for biscuits, Great horned owls watching me with their heads turned backwards, all sorts of birds, squirrels, and little bunny rabbits. One night last winter I was really late, like 10PM late, riding home from work. My headlights caught two pairs of eyes off to the side so I stopped and turned the headlamp on my handlebar to catch a better view. Perched on a flat gravestone were two creatures. Huge eyes, round ears, cat-like bodies. They stared, I stared. They finally moved over to the next gravestone. They were about Boojum-sized (small catteldog) but skinnier. They moved like a fox but seemed to have rounded rubber bodies with longish tails. I have scoured the internet for desert creatures that resemble these guys but have never matched them up. I look for them every time I roll thru the graveyard.
    MANBEARPIG!!!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crispy
    I always see them under that tree canopy on Desert Classic. I assume they live near there because of shade and/or water?

It startled me the first time... but wait 'til you run into a coyote on the trail. I know they're harmless and usually run off when they see you, but it'll still stop you in your tracks.
    Saw 2 coyotes running together while I was riding up the trails in the foothills behind Kyrene de las Lomas. Also, between there and the water tower I have seen those pigs moving around a couple times.

Got a suspension fork
    Well I guess this is just my week for the not often seen animal sightings. This morning I saw a "roadrunner" with a very colorful head, and 5 minutes previous I saw a really big coyote.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by randyharris
    Well I guess this is just my week for the not often seen animal sightings. This morning I saw a "roadrunner" with a very colorful head, and 5 minutes previous I saw a really big coyote.
    Was he holding a sign?

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by crispy
    Was he holding a sign?

I know it sounds very Warner Brother ish, but I really did see both today.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Saw at least 10 at Rincon Creek on the AZ Trail last year, all ages scurring like rats up and away from the creek as I approached. Fortunately the dogs were smart enough to stay as a javalina will kill a big dog in a second with it's tusk cutting them open by just running by and slicing them open with it's tusks.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The "cat like" creature you probably saw was a Ringtailed Cat:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring-tailed_Cat

I just found out recently we actually have these in the valley. I have never seen one or talked to anyone that has but they have huges eyes and nocturnal so you would see them at night. Apparently they are very tame and miners back in the day used to keep them around there housing as psuedo-pets because they would help keep rodent population down. I would love to see one so if you did in fact see one that is cool.

I guess we have gray foxes and kit foxes in the valley too but never seen them. I have seen a pack of 6 coyotes running up a hillside north of 40st in the preserve one night just before dusk. Besides that I saw a Bobcat in Wickenburg late one night.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    FWIW, there are still javelinas out on Desert Classic. I had two sightings this morning at around 6 am: four near the water tank and two at about marker 40. They truly do stink.

Alive and Lurkin'
    Now let's see if you can find the bull that's roaming around out there.
    Pumpin & Pimpin

Zipper
    Who needs to go to the trail to see all this, I just step out my garage or onto the balcony and watch them. The Javalina's and Coyotes love the fountain for water and we have 3 pair of roadrunners which means we don't have many snakes. We do however have Screech and Great Horned owls that visit and a few family's of squirls and chipmunks. Just wish I had one of those motion cameras to capture some pic's of everything that drinks from the fountain.
    Zipper aka Rob

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I seem to run into Javelina and coyotes regular. Snakes too. Almost ran over a good sized scorpion this morning too. Still looking for a tarantula though. I did see a Gila Monster at Estrella last year. The best for me so far is the mule deer I have seen on rare occassion at the White Tanks. I have no idea what they eat in that desolate terrain! I would love to sight a big cat......I think. )

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibro
    Now let's see if you can find the bull that's roaming around out there.
    Runaway Ahwatukee cow finally captured

What's this you say?? Saw three heifers on the BCT near Doe Spring.....guessing they were thirsty....

The coolest animal I ever saw out there was a desert tortoise just west of Daisy Mountain (near Anthem). So slow....and where was he going?

Also, saw a couple of bobcats on the Maricopa Trail near Apache peak....pretty cool cats....

pedaller
    Quote Originally Posted by cjaghblb

Still looking for a tarantula though.
    Try a McDowell Mtn Park night ride. LOTS of tarantulas out there!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

Elitest thrill junkie
    I hate raccoons. They get into your garage and then they steal your beer. I'm not kidding.
    Last edited by Jayem; 08-21-2010 at 11:34 AM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Wait, what!?
    Quote Originally Posted by RiseAgainst5
    The "cat like" creature you probably saw was a Ringtailed Cat:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring-tailed_Cat

I just found out recently we actually have these in the valley. I have never seen one or talked to anyone that has but they have huges eyes and nocturnal so you would see them at night. Apparently they are very tame and miners back in the day used to keep them around there housing as psuedo-pets because they would help keep rodent population down. I would love to see one so if you did in fact see one that is cool.
    I love these guys! I see a lot around the PMP area. They like cashews....

"No Clue Crew"
    I have seen several bears, bobcats and mountain lions. Lots of ringtails ( though never got close enough to feed one- very cool ) lots of skunks. I did get approached by a very curious skunk one night. I sat still and she came up and sniffed me for a couple minutes. Lots of Javelinas and coyotes. 1 fox, 2 porcupines, 2 coatimundis, 2 badgers, several bighorns, and a gazillion snakes and Gilas. I LOVE AZ !

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduroblood
    I love these guys! I see a lot around the PMP area. They like cashews....

Ha... these things behave very much like a racoon. Year's ago several us did an easy backpack up wet beaver creek to a popular camp site. AT night the ring tails surrounded us as they worked into raid our food. Seemed like there was a dozen of them.

Old-newbie
    "Oh hai! Gimme a beer!"

...uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill ...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

yah finally some respect!

next time that guy ask me hiker or biker while I'm huck'n the bit too challenging stuff on National trail............... the reckoning!........and we aint talk'n makin bacon!!!!!!

Control Freak
    I heart javelina in a crock pot with bbq sauce cooked for about 10 hours....mmmmmmmmmmmmm

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I saw a family of javina last year on trail 100 on the west side of the cave creek tunnel. If your familiar with that area, I was heading west and had just exited the tunnel when I rode up on them. Initially Scared the crap out of me but finally realized, hey that's a javelina! Purty cool to see them in the middle of the city like that.

nodejitsu

Regulars

One from Friday and another from yesterday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I finally saw a damned pig!-hogg.jpg  

I finally saw a damned pig!-hogmouth.jpg  

Got a suspension fork
    NICE!

I love that second picture.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

nodejitsu
    Thanks. That second one is in that exact spot where you saw them. It looks like he or she's hollerin at me but it actually had something large and hard looked like a baseball or a piece of wood or something in it's mouth it was gnawing on. Was a pack of about 10 in there.

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by rbtcha
    we have 3 pair of roadrunners which means we don't have many snakes.

What is the relationship between roadrunners and snakes?

"No Clue Crew"
    This thread is totally different than what I thought it was going to be. I opened it up ready to be p*****ed off. I should really stop watching COPS marathons! Nice pig photos..............Drew

nodejitsu
    lol yeah for real, I know there's plenty of good cops out there but when I ride I always think of what mountain bike pioneer guys like Gary Fisher and them say in that film Klunkerz that they rode to get away from the "cops, cars, and concrete".

g3rG's "oh hai give me a beer" pic is mos def a great pic!

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    What is the relationship between roadrunners and snakes?

Roadrunners eat them , all types , venomous or not .

Members who have read this thread: 0