mtbr member
    Mar 2011

I can live anywhere in Arizona but....

....it's really tough to pick a spot.

I'm hoping you can make some suggestions, in terms of best places to live in Arizona.

I just accepted a sales gig and I can live anywhere I want, in California and/or the southwest.

I'm leaning heavily towards the Tucson and/or Phoenix area because of lower cost of living, less traffic(relatively speaking) than Southern California.

And, more single track, I think, in AZ??

I've lived/ridden/raced in Austin for the last 8 years, or so.

So, I like warm weather, sunny days, singletrack and beautiful women. That's not asking for too much, is it??

Really like to find a casual, cool, town/neighborhood to live, work and squeeze in as much single track as possible....when I'm not working.
    A spot where there are good little restaurants, places to catch an independent film, good cafes, bookstores....kinda like Austin, I guess, if you've ever been there.

Ride off my door step onto some good singletrack. Possible in AZ??

I am most interested in access to fast, flowy, twisty, challenging, amazing singletrack.
    Flagstaff is too cold for my taste though I hear the riding there is pretty epic.

I've raced 40-49 CAT 1 XC and have done most of my riding in Texas. So, I'm sure your AZ trails will rock my world.

Any suggestions for good towns and good trails?

Top five trails that fit description above?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/suggestions/ideas!
    Cheers,

Chris

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwentyNineinches

I'm hoping you can make some suggestions, in terms of best places to live in Arizona.

I just accepted a sales gig and I can live anywhere I want, in California and/or the southwest.

I'm leaning heavily towards the Tucson and/or Phoenix area because of lower cost of living, less traffic(relatively speaking) than Southern California.

So, I like warm weather, sunny days, singletrack and beautiful women. That's not asking for too much, is it??

Really like to find a casual, cool, town/neighborhood to live, work and squeeze in as much single track as possible....when I'm not working.
    A spot where there are good little restaurants, places to catch an independent film, good cafes, bookstores....kinda like Austin, I guess, if you've ever been there.

I am most interested in access to fast, flowy, twisty, challenging, amazing singletrack.
    Flagstaff is too cold for my taste though I hear the riding there is pretty epic.

I've raced 40-49 CAT 1 XC and have done most of my riding in Texas. So, I'm sure your AZ trails will rock my world.

Cheers,

Chris
    Head....just....exploded.....!!!!!!!!!
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

suvlako
    Tucson is probably more like Austin than Phoenix. Great single track here. College vibe. A bit more liberal and more culture than Phx. Beautiful women fo sho. A bit cooler in the summertime and 9500' mountains to cool off during the summer months. Pretty sure Skinny Tire is not from Tucson.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Both Phoenix and Tucson have trails right outside your door.........to your car.........and drive for about 30 minutes.............and wah-la! Your at the trailhead...........then yeah, your good to go.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    My vote for you would be Tuscon. I have never been there but from what I have heard it's what your looking for. I'm not a fan of Pheonix or Scottsdale, if your big pimpin, have a sick car, wear the latest cologne, and love the cheese Scottsdale might be cool though, or at least you can meet lots of shallow chicks with sweet bolt on's.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    there's a guy on here "TheMostRad" who i heard was looking for a roomie...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona
    My vote for you would be Tuscon. I have never been there but from what I have heard it's what your looking for. I'm not a fan of Pheonix or Scottsdale, if your big pimpin, have a sick car, wear the latest cologne, and love the cheese Scottsdale might be cool though, or at least you can meet lots of shallow chicks with sweet bolt on's.

Agreed.. As a Scottsdale resident I love showin off my sickkk chevy cavalier with custom dent work. I definitely make sure I wear the latest cologne too. I can't be smelling like someone who makes less than a million a week like I do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by suvlako
    Pretty sure Skinny Tire is not from Tucson.
    You are? Why do you say that?

Curious, if OP was looking for a road bike-friendly town, would you still recommend Tucson?

ST, Santa Rita class of 87, UA class of 92.

mtbr member
    I would suggest looking at Laguna Beach, CA or thereabouts. Tons of fun XC stuff there, and it's way more swanky than here in AZ. Course, it's cheaper here, so I don't know what kind of 'bling' you're expecting to make from your new sales gig, but the weather's sure nicer there.

That being said, I love AZ also. Lots of fun trails here and the people are nice (except for the internet trolls.
    Yeah, well, the Dude abides.

suvlako
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    You are? Why do you say that?

Curious, if OP was looking for a road bike-friendly town, would you still recommend Tucson?

ST, Santa Rita class of 87, UA class of 92.
    Sure it's bike friendly, there are roadies everywhere. I should have clarified, ST is living in Phoenix... My way of saying Tucsonan's would have given original poster a much "warmer welcome".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by suvlako
    Sure it's bike friendly, there are roadies everywhere. I should have clarified, ST is living in Phoenix... My way of saying Tucsonan's would have given original poster a much "warmer welcome".
    You funny. Me laugh out loud.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike
    there's a guy on here "TheMostRad" who i heard was looking for a roomie...

Everybody hates on him but the dude makes me laugh. Plus I really want to see him shred! I only can hope he is real and not some dude making it all up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tonebone2000
    Agreed.. As a Scottsdale resident I love showin off my sickkk chevy cavalier with custom dent work. I definitely make sure I wear the latest cologne too. I can't be smelling like someone who makes less than a million a week like I do.
    Pfff, Cavalier? Haha! That's just laughable man! I have a 2000 malibu. Now that's a pimpin ride!

Sorry man but you have to admit Scottsdale does have a strong element of cheese overall, not that everyone there is like that. I often think of it as AZ's version of So Cal.

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by tonebone2000
    I hear you. My faded out 96 Tacoma clashes with my Bentley poster on the wall of my 1300 Sq foot home. I just mowed the yards because I could not afford the $100.00 an hour neighbor kid.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

parenting for gnarness
    , or at least you can meet lots of shallow chicks with sweet bolt on's.
    lol. you get used to it, they eventually amalgamate into one super-hot chick that ignores you.

s. scottsdale is pretty cool, much more like Tempe than N. Scottsdale. close to airport, center of the Valley, and not bankrupt like other E. Valley cities that don't let women work. I have trails right out my door in N. Scottsdale, incredible restaurants, great schools, low-crime and open spaces. the stereotypes are true, but every place has its low-level noise. At least the guy who hits you on your bike is driving a bmw and has insurance.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    Pfff, Cavalier? Haha! That's just laughable man! I have a 2000 malibu. Now that's a pimpin ride!

Sorry man but you have to admit Scottsdale does have a strong element of cheese overall, not that everyone there is like that. I often think of it as AZ's version of So Cal.
    haha.. Yes, all joking aside, you do see a lot of it. You're right on with the socal/wannabe socal comparison. I do like going to mall and seeing lamborghinis in the valet though.

mtbr member
    29inch's

With the exception of the cool winters you described Durango to an absolute T.

Steve

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by chipolopolo
    29inch's

With the exception of the cool winters you described Durango to an absolute T.

Steve
    Durango is pretty cool but there aren't a ton of girls. The San Juans are amazing but the snowpack can be freaking scary! It's much more of a true mountain town where the ratio of men to woman is around 10 to 1. The pickings can be slim and the winters are cold!

Flagstaff always gets my vote, I live here and love it! But both towns don't sound like what 29inches is looking for.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Cheers,

Chris
    If your last name is Campbell, you belong in California. No ridiculously torn jerseys out there. Otherwise, in Sedona helping TD TD TD TD TD.......TD....TD...TD.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Yuma !, perhaps split the difference.

Shred...it's the new drug
    Ahwatukee...nuff said

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Strongbrown
    I would suggest looking at Laguna Beach, CA or thereabouts. Tons of fun XC stuff there,
    Really? Where in Laguna? I go there every year but haven't see that much XC stuff. Lots of roadies on PCH.

Plus size jersey model
    I vote for Tucson. Not just because that is where I currently live but because I have lived in Phoenix, Scottsdale, Glendale, Mesa, Tempe, and am so much happier now that I do not live there. Tucson is only 4hrs for Flag but don't need it that much since Mt. Lemmon at 9500' is right in the middle of town. Tucson has a much more laid back feel to me then the the places in the "big city" to the north plus it is always slightly cooler but 110 and 105 aren't really that different. There is also a lot bigger roadie scene in Tucson as well but I always felt like there were more mtbrs in Fenix which may or may not always be a good thing do to how crowed the trails can feel up there during certain times of the year. Not sure what they mean about not having trails right out your door it only takes me an hour on the bike to be at Tucson Mountain Park and its what seems like endless trails. I would say you would have a much higher chance of being within riding distance to trails here as opposed to Fenix just due to its sheer size. Either way you will have year round riding and more trails in the state then you could probably do in that year.

wawe member
    Quote Originally Posted by azmodela
    Really? Where in Laguna? I go there every year but haven't see that much XC stuff. Lots of roadies on PCH.
    Aliso/Wood Canyon Regional Park which you can connect to Laguna Coast Wilderness Park which you can connect to El Morro/Crystal Cove State Park. That will keep most riders happy for "from the front door" trail access. You'd also be a short drive to the northern end of the Cleveland National Forest (Santa Ana Mountain range), XC jems there include Holy Jim, Trabuco and San Juan trails.

Not cheap however.

Get Some!
    i vote phoenix. check out a community called ahwatukee, right at the base of south mountain. awesome riding. great location.

skilldest©
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob
    Ahwatukee...nuff said
    ditto Bob ---^

"Its All Good"
    Being from New Zealand, feel I am well qualified to answer...

Have ridden in Flagstaff, Tucson, Pheonix, Sedona.... If I could live anywhere it would be by far Sedona.... Flagstaff up the road, Pheonix not that far away......

Hey, but what do I know, have only ridden a few times in AZ, great riding spots for sure...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Prescott, awesome trails and it is pretty much completely surrounded by national forest and pretty nice weather year round

Elitest thrill junkie
    I vote for not here! (But honestly, i dont mind people coming here).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Big B's Trails
    Prescott would get my vote followed by a close Sedona
    I dig dirt!

Don't believe the Hype...
    Gila Bend
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

Tucson, AZ
    Phoenix gets my vote. Easy access to trails on huge highways, tons of other riders and some great mountain parks that are really close to communities. Tucson is too small and does not have enough riding.

Did I mention the sunsets out there in Mesa?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigworm520
    ... it only takes me an hour on the bike to be at Tucson Mountain Park and its what seems like endless trails.
    Pretty much anywhere in the Phoenix metro area you can do the same if not closer, plus much more variety of trail systems.

To the OP: how much traveling /flying will you be doing?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Head....just....exploded.....!!!!!!!!!

Ouch. Sorry about the information overload.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ajmelin
    Pretty much anywhere in the Phoenix metro area you can do the same if not closer, plus much more variety of trail systems.

To the OP: how much traveling /flying will you be doing?

Not that much, really.

I work from a home office and sell bvy bphone and then via webex sales presentations.

mtbr member
    I have ridden a lot in Tucson and all of my top 15 trails in AZ are Phoenix and north of Phoenix!!! I LOVE South Mountain check current issue of MBA, however, the last time I took a avid rider from Texas up there they thought I was trying to kill them and were NOT happy. I would say if looking at twisty flowing single track check Mesa, Scottsdale or northern AZ. Tucson isn't a great college town, traffic sucks no freeways worth noting, and I am not going to comment about the general population. And all that said the trails down there seem to be on the rocky side of things.

It could be because I live here but it seems to me that most of the explosion of single track is happening right here in Phoenix.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Phx gets my vote, great weather year round, clean air, very little traffic or congestion.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

parenting for gnarness
    Not that much, really.

I work from a home office and sell bvy bphone and then via webex sales presentations.
    that would have been useful info for your original post.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkrw3
    Tucson...traffic sucks no freeways worth noting,

You keep believing that, and be sure to tell all of your friends!

Shovel Ready
    What about North Las Vegas. I know the homes are nice and Bootleg is a 40 minute drive. What other riding options are there in the area with Vegas being surrounded by mountains. No state tax is attractive. Lots of night life. Bootleg!!!
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

mtbr member
    scottsdale or tempe.. for living are best imo.. //g
    My Current Stable:
    Yeti 303 RDH | Yeti 575 | Yeti dirtjumper

My other ride is your mom
    Yuma

mtbr member

Cheers,

Chris
    I'm really surprised nobody has said Globe. Great riding, an hour from 3 of 4 lakes, 3 hours to skiing, and real estate (and women) is dirt cheap. Also, best Mexican food in the state.

And yes, I have lived in Globe.

mtbr member
    (and women) is dirt cheap.
    It's a small mining town with....NOTHING going on

Big B's Trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycle64
    What about North Las Vegas. I know the homes are nice and Bootleg is a 40 minute drive. What other riding options are there in the area with Vegas being surrounded by mountains. No state tax is attractive. Lots of night life. Bootleg!!!
    IDK bout livin in N. Las Vegas... I wouldn't! And it's about as far away from mtb as it gets in vegas.... If you want to live by bootleg you can live in Henderson or Boulder City or move to Summerlin and have cottonwood, cowboy trails, union trails, twilight zone(mt charleston) and bears best trail all within 30min or less! And bootleg is still only 35 min away! Yeaaaaaaaa..... Oh yeah by the way it's hot here and the girls are hotter unless your into granola
    I dig dirt!

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    GDMFer,, it seems like 99% of the listings i liked are short sales,, i don't have time to be pissing around waiting for a bank answer. (yes, im working with a resl estate agent)

banned
    Sedona may be dumbed down to your level if you are part of the masses I have been catering to. We have over 340 riding days, if that counts and over 115 trails if you care to learn them. The scenery would compete with the other areas mentioned.

The trails are probably not flowy enough for you, so forget I even mentioned the good points.

TD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I can live anywhere in Arizona but....-sedona-1.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by traildoc; 04-12-2011 at 07:24 PM.

@longhairmike...I have a short sale in Las Sendas...such is the nature of the beast around these parts....lots of Canadians have walked through it (about 3 groups per week)....but no offers since JAN.

It's a steal if you can deal with the bank....

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Yah ought to at least throw in his choice of 1 of the 3 amigo's ..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I can live anywhere in Arizona but....-img_3233.jpg  

parenting for gnarness
    GDMFer,, it seems like 99% of the listings i liked are short sales,, i don't have time to be pissing around waiting for a bank answer. (yes, im working with a resl estate agent)
    get what you pay for, carpetbagger . There are plenty of private party sales that are about the same value and people willing to make deals happen.

I really need to get back to work on the short one......too many distractions now that it has two other friends, each begging for some play...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    That spot has great photo opportunities as well .."Big Rock through it's Aim".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I can live anywhere in Arizona but....-img_3208.jpg  

I can live anywhere in Arizona but....-img_3209.jpg  

I can live anywhere in Arizona but....-img_3228.jpg  

I can live anywhere in Arizona but....-img_3240.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob
    Ahwatukee...nuff said
    +2 ,SoMo is one great place to ride.
    The most beautiful - sexy Girl's and their freinds are riding there all the time , Durt Gurl,Su ling, little Lynett , Carmen , Monica , and sometimes my oldlady Ginger and many more.
    Gota love somo and its ladies

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    get what you pay for, carpetbagger . There are plenty of private party sales that are about the same value and people willing to make deals happen.
    there are exactly THREE non-short-sale listings in Ahwatukee over 3000' under 520k, and the most promising of those has grandma wallpaper in the bathroom. most of the 5-10yr old places are short sales because the market value tanked.
    the house i really really really want is http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/29...81996962_zpid/ but going the short-sale route could certainly push back a june move date.

Nice shots Javalina....that spot is indeed producing more than it's share of gold....what equipment are you using? Must be training for something, hauling that telephoto up the climb each time....

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Phoenix, specifically Ahwautukee at base of South Mountain-best variety of riding there. If you have the means you my look into Cave Creek, nice hood and it even has its very own Hells Angels chapter that Sonny himself is a member of! Welcome to the true Sunshine State..................

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    100/400 L .....amazing zoom zoom

parenting for gnarness
    there are exactly THREE non-short-sale listings in Ahwatukee over 3000' under 520k, and the most promising of those has grandma wallpaper in the bathroom. most of the 5-10yr old places are short sales because the market value tanked.
    the house i really really really want is http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/29...81996962_zpid/ but going the short-sale route could certainly push back a june move date.

anything 05-07, you will find almost everyone underwater or foreclosed. Lots of people who are not underwater have simply taken their houses off the market or gone to rental. A decent realtor should be able to sniff sales out for you from the rental pool, but if you want to move at a certain date, you will need to expect to pay a little more. Short sales and foreclosures have dramatically strengthened the rental market, but the banks are helping no one get out of this mess.

As an aside, I'm sure its an innocent mistake, but you're not going to get much sympathy here talking about how hard it is to buy a house.

Members who have read this thread: 0