I broke my bike- Mtbr.com

Thread: I broke my bike

My other ride is your mom

I broke my bike

I started riding 13.5 months ago.......everyone has heard the "I was just riding along" story....but I was really.....I mean REALLY just riding along this afternoon, heading to the bar for happy hour when I rode over a curb (4 inches), lifted for a bunny hop over the curb, and came down to the feeling of......my rear tire rubbing and a noticeable deceleration. It was clear something was broken. Dismounting, I found the following.......so given that they warranty the frame......and pre-supposing that I have no desire to go with another GF.....the question I throw out to the class is.....Pivot 4....or Pivot 5?......Discuss!......:
    Attached Images Attached Images

AKA shitbird
    That sucks man. Call GF, they will probably send you a new rear triangle. Then sell the GF and get the Pivot5....or better yet the firebird
    JRA

rock crusher
    Aug 2008
    I have broken my GF as well. The warranty went pretty smoothly, less than 3 weeks downtime. Provided that you are the original owner, they have a rock solid warranty (albeit on a brittle frame) but you will need to go through a dealer. Good luck!

thx....gonna go to the place I bought it 1st and see what they do....not holding out any good vibes on this...and not gonna flame either...but I'm not holding my breath. I already know where I'm gonna buy my new ride....and it's not where I bought the GF.....leaning with the 5 right now....after all....I like to climb. The question is if they will replace the 08 frame....or give me an 09'.....already have plans to sell the new replacement frame/triangle

mtbr member
    pivot mach 5.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    thx....gonna go to the place I bought it 1st and see what they do....not holding out any good vibes on this...and not gonna flame either...but I'm not holding my breath. I already know where I'm gonna buy my new ride....and it's not where I bought the GF.....leaning with the 5 right now....after all....I like to climb. The question is if they will replace the 08 frame....or give me an 09'.....already have plans to sell the new replacement frame/triangle
    not so fast there sport!

you gonna have 1 bike, or 2? you wanting something to step up to more tech, or you gonna continue Hawes and other more XC terrain? 29 or 26?
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

ooooooo.......good question....I thinks I'm gonna want to step it up....but I have this screwy theory (friday night beer and Wisconson skweeky cheese eat fest going on right now.....I just brought some back this week from a biz trip....but I digress)....anyhew....I'm thinkin that even the pivot 4 will give me more than the GF Hi-Fi was at 120mm....so the pivot 5 will take me where I want to go. Sure....the Firebird is all that and a bag of 45 cent potato chips....but again....I like the climb......to answer the original question.....I think 1 bike at this point....the 2 bike thing is still fantasy at this point.....I can get away with 4 pairs of skis...but not more than one bike at this point.
    Last edited by Maadjurguer; 05-01-2009 at 09:46 PM.

parenting for gnarness
    ooooooo.......good question....I thinks I'm gonna want to step it up....but I have this screwy theory (friday night beer and Wisconson skweeky cheese eat fest going on right now.....I just brought some back this week from a biz trip....but I digress)....anyhew....I'm thinkin that even the pivot 4 will give me more than the GF Hi-Fi was at 120mm....so the pivot 5 will take me where I want to go. Sure....the Firebird is all that and a bag of 45 cent potato chips....but again....I like the climb......to answer the original question.....I think 1 bike at this point....the 2 bike thing is still fantasy at this point.....I can get away with 4 pairs of skis...but not more than one bike at this point.
    4 inches 29 or 5 for a 26. Pivot Mach 5, 429 if you want to pay insane amounts of money. Turner spot or Sultan, Yeti 575, etc etc etc. air shocks\forks, put coils on your next bike. Tons of choices out there... consider that you might buy another bike (bigger or faster) in 1-2 yrs and keep this one, and subsequently beef\lighten it.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

ieeeee....the choices! Looking to step up the game, XC is fine for the fitness...but really getting into the flow going down, absorbing the hits....reminds me of skiing, almost the same motion....it just hurts more when you wreck. Stuck in the 1 bike mode though....so is going with more travel on a bike kinda like buying a big TV.....no one ever regrets buying too large a TV....right???

mtbr member
    I had a GF a couple years ago and cracked the rear Tri similar to you. It was waranteed with ease.

More travel is like getting a fatter ski with some tip rocker.

You eventually need two bikes, if for not other reason that **** breaking is part of like, and you gotta be able to ride!

Glad it broke in a place that wouldn't also break your face.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    More travel is like getting a fatter ski with some tip rocker.

You eventually need two bikes, if for not other reason that **** breaking is part of like, and you gotta be able to ride!

Glad it broke in a place that wouldn't also break your face.
    Excellent analogy, if you got the legs to get ya to the top, the decent is way worth it. Of course, what do I know, I only got one mountain bike for the trail.

Bummer about breaking your bike. You gotta stop breaking yourself and your bike.

BTW, I was just checking out the Flagstaff webcam and I'm pretty happy I'm holding off until tomorrow for the corn harvest. Hopefully the wind mellows out and the clouds move on.

oooh, shiny...
    Ouch!!!
    Now I see why you didn't meet up thismorning. Funny, I've been wanting my frame to crack so I can send it back for a new one, but its just solid as a rock. Sometimes you get what you pay for and sometimes the cheap stuff is the best. By that I mean my bike was cheap and it just wont break!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Niner WFO

That looks like that could be a fun ride.

mtbr member
    Sorry about your bike.
    If you're starting to enjoy the flow, I say hands down get the Firebird.

Bikes, Beer, and Sex
    I'd just take it to dave at fast track to have him weld it. I've had him weld cracked motorcycle frames for me before and you'd never be able to tell anything ever happened

took it to the dealer today, first order of business...lucked into catching the Trek rep there as he was picking up Lance Armstrong's bikes for the Giro d'Italia......anyhew....small world....turns out he is one of the guys I'm going to LA with next weekend for the Dead Show....never met the guy before but he's a friend of a friend....very small world.

Long story short....it's warrantied....they give me a new rear triangle....5 days to 2 weeks to get it back to me.

I'm prolly still gonna go bigger though, but now at least it's not crisis time anymore. Although 2 weeks without my bike is an eternity....long enough to do something stupid and blow some cash on a new bike.

mtbr member
    hey james!, sorry to hear about the demise of the hi-fi. they are known for that. otherwise a good bike.i don't blame you for feeling a bit squeemish on staying with it. you know what i ride. and you know i can handle the downside of things. till recently, all that gravity prowess would come with a price, a big weight penalty.
    i ignored my 37 pounds of 6 inch travel and got fit enough to ride it. why? the tech and downhill were great! also, and very important, is the reliability and toughness of the frame. my bike is over 5 years old and no frame issues. i'm not easy on it.
    now for the good part.
    i think you would love the pivot mach 5 or 429. i know how you ride. i would stay away from the 4 unless racing is in the mix.

however, the firebird can be had at a very efficient peddaling weight of right at 30+ lbs. very doable. as for me, i would get the firebird because you wont worry about frame failure the way we ride, and i like a bike thats up to whatever i want to ride. plus my titus quasi-moto 1.5 was designed by chris cocalis, the genious at pivot. whatever you choose it's all good with pivot cycles.

by the way, there's a test on the firebird in the latest mountain bike action magazine. or you can go to www.mbaction.com and find a test on it there. click bike tests at the top. best-o-luck and we'll see ya out there
    Last edited by BIGHORN LEW; 05-02-2009 at 03:24 PM.
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

I can't take it anymore....still waiting on the rear triangle warranty, so.....it's coming.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hikers=SHlT
    May 2007
    That's definitely a weak design. I wouldn't say all is lost though. If the manufacturer will let you keep the frame, find a local weldor and have him tig it, plate/ fill the hollow area where it cracked, and gusset it.

I love bike!
    Hey James. Bummer about your frame.

Are you planning on moving your current fork over to a different frame? If so, aren't you going to run into compatibility issues? From what I remember the fork on the HiFi has a specific offset which is specific to that frame. Moving it to a different manufacturer frame would likely negatively effect the handling of the new ride.

Have you considered buying a used frame? I'm sure you could find a sweet deal on a horst or TNT Turner since the switch to DW link. That's what I did

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by StabMasta
    That's definitely a weak design. I wouldn't say all is lost though. If the manufacturer will let you keep the frame, find a local weldor and have him tig it, plate/ fill the hollow area where it cracked, and gusset it.
    WHy do that when they're warrantying it/will warranty it, and it's just a matter of time? Once that's done, no warranty. On top of that, are they still using 6000-related alloys? If one doesn't know (like in the case of the Zr9000 base alloy), it's a crap shoot, as far as heat treatment. I tried checking into this before and can't really find what the base alloy is and the welding and heat treatment procedures.

Sure....buying a new bike just to keep me riding while my only bike is out being warrietied seems drastic (or is it????)

I'm just buying a complete Mach5.....yes, I will get the HiFi back with a new rear triangle....but I'm looking for some more travel anyways....will be selling my HiFi...gonna swap out some of my favorite components on the HiFi and switch with the base components on the 5. The irony here is that even though the 5 frame is heavier...the bulk build will be lighter.

Saucy Size
    This is your first frame break, isn't it?

p.

mtbr member
    I'm just buying a complete Mach5.....
    Hells yeah!

It's that obvious.....huh? I already find myself on the slippery slope....plans have been made for more than one bike after this....

Elitest thrill junkie
    Sure....buying a new bike just to keep me riding while my only bike is out being warrietied seems drastic (or is it????)

I'm just buying a complete Mach5.....yes, I will get the HiFi back with a new rear triangle....but I'm looking for some more travel anyways....will be selling my HiFi...gonna swap out some of my favorite components on the HiFi and switch with the base components on the 5. The irony here is that even though the 5 frame is heavier...the bulk build will be lighter.
    Good call. Gary Fisher may have been building bikes for a long time (as if HE actually builds them himself) but IMO he can't design a suspension bike worth a crap. The mach 5 should give you years and years of service, instead of a season.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Saucy Size
    Yeah...it was the dozen OMG LOOKIT LOOKIT pix of the same break. :-D

The beauty of owning more than one bike is that you're never without a bike. Well..only very, very rarely.

IMO the perfect mountain bike quiver is XC SS, lightish AM/do-everything trail bike, full-duty DH. Before you know it you'll have a road bike or two, a commuter, a grocery-getter/beater, a 'cross bike, a tandem, a cruiser, etc.

At some point you'll forget that most people actually park their car in the garage.

p.

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B

The beauty of owning more than one bike is that you're never without a bike. Well..only very, very rarely.

IMO the perfect mountain bike quiver is XC SS, lightish AM/do-everything trail bike, full-duty DH. Before you know it you'll have a road bike or two, a commuter, a grocery-getter/beater, a 'cross bike, a tandem, a cruiser, etc.

At some point you'll forget that most people actually park their car in the garage.

p.

Whoa Whoa Whoa... Hang on there... Cars go IN the garage?

Multiple bikes are a good thing, a half dozen or so is enough to keep you riding when things start to break on a regular basis

Saucy Size
    INORITE?

A waste of perfectly good bike workshop space.

p.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    p.
    Guilty as charged

mtbr member
    Firebird can be built up in the low to mid 30lb range. Light enough to climb and *****en on the way down.
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Hi
    Thought I would let you know I took my HiFi back today after spotting a crack at the same point yours snapped.......... so what you might think...
    Well this frame was a replacement of the same frame (When HiFi first came on the market) and it snapped in the same place as yours last year.

Big Problem with the design in my view.

I was told there was an issue with the alloy mix and a known weakness, this bike (The replacement) will be fine.

Well a year later and I am back where I started, the worst being I was only recently starting to have faith int he new bike i.e. it won't snap on me when I go down this hill......

The good news is my wife (Who bought me the bike for my birthday) tells me it's the best bike ever?? At first I thought she was looking into my life insurance policy then she said it again, best bike ever you get a new one every year!.

To be fair Trek/Gary Fisher and the local bike shop have been great in getting me back on the trails, they gave me a Santa Cruz Heckler until the New one arrived so it was hard to go back but too expensive to go upgrade....

I do however wait to see what they have to say this time considering I have already broken one!
    Keep you posted.
    Last edited by MondayMuppet_Statler; 05-14-2009 at 09:31 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0