Ride On!

How's the Mountain Biking around the Phoenix area

Hey, I am considering checking out a really good job opportunity in Phoenix. I currently live in the California (please don't hold it against me ) outside of Sacramento. Can I get some input from some riders from the Phoenix area about what/how many trails, terrain ect...

Thanks

mtbr member
    Check the visitor sticky at the top of the forum. Phoenix has lots of trail. Good info in the Sticky.

DFMBA.org
    Tons of riding not only in Phx but in Sedona and Flagstaff as well. Much like CA you can ride all year long in this state. The metro Phx area is really good tho. You better learn tubeless real quick if you're gonna ride here.
    Sent from my mountain bike while crashing
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    I love the variety of biking in the Phoenix area. Personally, I feel that living somewhat central would be ideal, as there is riding in every direction. South Mountain, Phoenix Mountain Preserve, Hawes, White Tanks, and McDowells are all on opposite ends of the valley, and all have great riding. I-17 will get you to amazing single track in Black Canyon City, or further north to Prescott, Sedona, and Flaggstaff (all good). Lots of night riding in the summer due to the heat. Terrain? Rocky, very rocky. Most people run tubeless setups for the stronger tires and the constant cactus needles.

I am from the east coast before, wet and trees. The riding here is by far better. The people are great to ride with too. Every type of riding is well represented. I am sure people can be more specific if needed.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Coming from Cali, you may want to upgrade to tougher tires. It's more rocky, jagged, and technical in AZ. I live in So Cal and I periodically travel out to AZ to treat myself to outstanding riding in beautiful country.

It's hotter than hell there in the Summer so be ready for that. If you haven't experienced what it can be like, you are in for a shock. The Winters are spectacular. It's commonly "warm" in the dead of Winter in the Phoenix area.

Good luck with your choice. IMHO, you'd be relocating to a nicer, cleaner, safer state by leaving Cali.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

mtbr member
    I'll be honest: you will miss Northern California's smooth rolling hills, bike parks, mountains, and forests, but there will probably be a few things you won't miss, as well (traffic, theft, crime, etc.). You'll be pleasantly surprised how much the PHX area has to offer. It's just a totally different environment. I moved here from Utah 10 years ago and never could have imagined how much I would grow to love AZ. I still miss Utah's 5,000-foot climbs/descents, but I don't miss having my local trails buried under snow for 6-8 months a year. I also don't miss having to share trails w/ 100,000 college students along the Wasatch Front.

Obviously, the terrain in the PHX area is mostly rugged Sonoran desert singletrack. There are many different trails in every direction that range from highly technical and rough to smooth and easy. For the most part, the trails are extremely low-traffic. I often ride for 2-3 hours on my 2 nearest and dearest trails w/out seeing anyone else, especially if I ride on a weekday. When I do run into other people, 99% of them are awesome. The scenery/wildlife is always amazing, and when it gets too hot for 2-3 months, you can always take refuge in early morning rides, night rides, or 2-hour trips to Prescott, Sedona, Flagstaff, Payson, or Mt. Lemon.

Bottom line: if you don't love mountain biking in AZ, you have a problem with yourself.

Ride On!
    Thanks for the replies, sounds like I should check it out even if I don't end-up relocating. Think I'll go do some youtube surfing check out some trail video's. Thanks, sounds like you guys have a enthusiastic, go for it MTB attitude!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Good thread. I'm also looking at relocating to AZ from North Georgia. It rains here, and rains, and rains, and rains. Almost as wet as the Pac NW in the mountains (60-90 inches of rain a year, 50+ in the valleys). I've noticed there are a lot of jobs I'm qualified for in Phoenix however I have also noticed that the air quality is even worse than what we have in the greater Chattanooga area, which is one of the worst cities in the US. I'm already having respiratory problems riding here in the summer so that makes it unlikely I could accept it. Just thought I might bring up that issue but also interested in the opinions of locals on that subject. Not meaning to hijack the thread but it seems relevant.

mtbr member
    Yeah it seems when it has not been windy in a while, the air quality is a bit tough to deal with. And of course, the dust storms. I live on the far outskirts of Phoenix and I can tell by looking towards the city that the air is a bit rough. Seems to be a valley thing. My boss is severely asthmatic and I notice he struggles on days where we have 'poor' air quality.
-Grant Petersen

mtbr member
    No riding here in AZ stay where you are at now it is much better riding there!

mtbr member
    yeah, but there used to be a few good trails, like this one:

Access Action: Arizona?s Black Canyon Trail | Dirt Rag

mtbr member

Interesting, I've got a job opportunity in the Sacramento area and thought about starting a thread like this on the NorCal forum. Honestly, riding here is nothing short of awesome! The sheer variety we have within a 2 hour drive is unbeatable. I'm sure NorCal has some great riding, but there's just something about chunky desert riding that makes me never want to leave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meatbomb
    Live and work outside the loop. I could never go back to the inside.

mtbr member
    Beware of rocks and other technical features
    http://forums.mtbr.com/arizona/opini...rs-854214.html

Give it a crank
    The hardest part about riding here is having to choose just one ride out of so many choices.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    The hardest part about riding here is having to choose just one ride out of so many choices.
    ^^^THIS!!!! +1 Mtn-Rider, we're spoiled here.

Shameless plug: Check out my blog (see sig) and the others I have listed there for some AZ stoke. If that doesn't convince you we have it good, you may want to stay put.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

mtbr member
    I'd say the hardest part is having to drive to a trailhead. Not knocking phoenix but that's the nature of the beast living in a city. Unless you can afford to rent/buy close to T100, S. Mountain, the McDowells, or Hawes.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    I'd say the hardest part is having to drive to a trailhead. Not knocking phoenix but that's the nature of the beast living in a city. Unless you can afford to rent/buy close to T100, S. Mountain, the McDowells, or Hawes.
    i came SO close to buying a huge house in queen creek (hawes & chandler heights) because the real estate agent was having trouble getting a hold of the homeowner at the red mountain ranch home until the very last day of our trip. we finally got in for a viewing at 10am,, went to lunch at Barro's pizza while finishing the offer documents, and it was accepted before we had to catch our 3pm flight back to IL. QC would have sucked for distance to riding

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    If you live in Anthem, you don't have to drive to a trailhead. You can ride along the Maricopa Trail West over to the Black Canyon Trail or East over to the Cave Creek Recreation area. You can connect with many other trails from there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    i came SO close to buying a huge house in queen creek (hawes & chandler heights) because the real estate agent was having trouble getting a hold of the homeowner at the red mountain ranch home until the very last day of our trip. we finally got in for a viewing at 10am,, went to lunch at Barro's pizza while finishing the offer documents, and it was accepted before we had to catch our 3pm flight back to IL. QC would have sucked for distance to riding
    And I live right at the White Tanks, pedal from my house, which is great. The negative for me is that every other trail is so far, and the White Tanks, although fun, does not have the trail selection that the other parks offer. So, yeah, location is key.
-Grant Petersen

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Coming from Orange County ca, and St Paul MN. The thing that amazes me about Phoenix is how close the trails are as well as the distance of the rides. Within 15 min (on weekend freeways) of down town you have access to no less than 5 trail systems. Most with 30 miles or more of trails. Stretch the dive to 1 hour and the system count triples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    Having lived in Utah and also New England I have to say the Phoenix area is very lucky. There are not a ton of major metros in the country where you can put together an epic ride, almost any time of the year, within under an hour from your house. This is not only possible in Phoenix but can be done in multiple locations spanning almost all corners of the valley. I would argue that Phoenix has as good of access if not better than any other 3 Million or larger metro area in the west. Add what is available within 2-3 hours to everything in the Phoenix area and you've got a life time of riding options, that only keeps growing. I don't think you can go wrong as an outdoorsy type in Arizona.

Give it a crank
    Check out this map from Global Bikes for the most popular areas in and around Phoenix.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    It's good to be spoiled. I live CenPho and it seems just about everything is 30 minutes drive for me, other than Gold Canyon. It takes forever to get out there! But BCT, to Fantasy Island to Brown's Ranch to SoMo - almost the same drive time. It makes riding decisions tough some days. Even the canal system isn't bad for flatland riding. Lots of sections have underpasses so you never have to cross streets. It's hard to lose here.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Correct. It is always a issue to pick which trail I want to ride this weekend. I have 4 different systems with in 15 min from home and 2 more with in 30 mintues from home and they are all very good trail systems with plenty of miles to wear you down. It is easy to ride 1000 miles a year and not hit all the trails in the phx area. I have not even started to get outside the metro area (30 min out of town) to places like Sedona, Prescott, Flagstaff, Tucson....
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

EDR

Re: How's the Mountain Biking around the Phoenix area

I have a friend at work who moved from the Thousand Oaks area about 2 years ago to Phoenix. He went through a phase where he was home sick for his rolling smooth trails. But now that he's been out here while he really does like it. Everything out here is a little harder to ride, and will ultimately make you a better rider. When you want a break from the rocky desert Xc trails,( which are often far more technical then a lot of people are used to) there is always national at South Mountain for a nice technical challenge and if you're willing to drive there are tons of amazing trails just outside of the Phoenix area.

Tucson, Sedona, Prescott, Flagstaff, picket post out at Globe. It goes on and on.

mtbr member
    So here is the deal. I moved from el dorado hills 10 years ago but visit home often and can tell you this... The riding season is longer here but the summer season is when you have to start your rides early or do a night ride which there are plenty of. There are no ride like salmon falls but if you have ever done pollock pines or forest hill and like it then flagstaff is for just a little further. The biggest drawback is the rocks. If you ride south mountain then be ready for some rough trails compared to say Folsom lake (browns ravine). Not sure how this post will turn out since we have some really good brewery's here and I am a few in. See ya