Results 1 to 48 of 48
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    44

    How'd we miss this?

    Or, was it buried in a thread gone sideways.
    https://bikerumor.com/2019/01/04/fri...es-deals-more/
    Formerly mtnbykr©™

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    1,277
    Quote Originally Posted by #mtnbykr View Post
    Or, was it buried in a thread gone sideways.
    https://bikerumor.com/2019/01/04/fri...es-deals-more/
    Sounds like a positive step to more access for Ebikes. I assume this applies to State Trust land in AZ.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hikerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    975
    Quote Originally Posted by #mtnbykr View Post
    Or, was it buried in a thread gone sideways.
    https://bikerumor.com/2019/01/04/fri...es-deals-more/
    I didn’t miss it. Maricopa Regional Parks FAQ on e-bikes references the new law; I celebrated New Years Day by riding my electric Haibike SDURO in McDowell Mountain Park. Great views of the snow-covered mountains and hardly anyone seen because of the cold, crisp air.
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    175
    Thats good news for an OLD friend in Sedona who is ready for one! Alas, Coconino is nix.
    Ride on TD!
    TS

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jetman46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    93
    Sorry Sedona is National Forest and ebike are still not allowed. State land only. Ebikes are still illegal on National Forest and BLM land.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dsrt taco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    270
    Here is the full text of the article found at e-bikerumor.com which gives a lot more information that the other article. Key point is that e-mopeds are still banned on most federal lands including National Forest and National Parks. Unfortunately AZ screwed up by allowing Class II (throttle assist) e-mopeds on trails that fall on state lands..

    As of Jan 1, new Arizona law ARS 28-819 has officially defined classifications of e-bikes, allowing those with a max power-assist speed of 20mph or less to have fully trail access statewide wherever conventional pedal bikes are allowed. Local authorities still have the power to enact additional policies to prohibit e-bikes on their own trail systems, but this certainly will open up many excellent trails in the desert southwest for e-mountain bikers, now potentially linking three of the states around the Four Corners…

    Maricopa County, the most populous county in the state (fourth in the nation), including AZ capital Phoenix and several parks with mountain bike trails, is one of several to have welcomed e-bikes adhering to the new state law. Essentially the new law requires bike companies to include a permanent label on all new e-bikes that states their classification, top assisted speed & motor power.

    Under the new legislation, ARS 28-819: “An operator of an electric bicycle is granted all the rights and privileges and is subject to all of the duties of a person riding a bicycle“.

    Class 1 e-bikes are defined as pedal-assist bikes with a top assisted speed of 20mph. Class 2 e-bikes are throttle-assist bikes but still with a top assisted speed of 20mph. Under the new state law both Class 1 & 2 e-bikes are permitted to “be used on bicycle and multiuse paths“. Pedal-assist bikes with a motor assist speed up to 28mph are defined as Class 3, and for the most part are not permitted on bike trails or paths, except those on the side of roads.

    While the new state law gives access to e-bikes on Arizona State Parks and Trails, applicability will be varied throughout the state where various counties & cities scrambled last autumn to enact their own local legislation. Most often the intent was to limit e-bike access to individual trails & paths mostly in more developed & urban areas, where there were fears of conflict, mostly regarding pedestrians.

    So as much as it seems like a blanket opening of access, you still will likely need to check ahead before heading out on the trail aboard your new e-MTB. A reminder that the US Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management still define e-bikes as motorized vehicles which are prohibited from off-road use in the bulk of federal National Forest & BLM land in Arizona.

    If you want to learn more about where to Ride Responsibly on state land, eight other states have recently passed similar legislation: Colorado, California, Arkansas, Illinois, Michigan, Tennessee, Utah & Washington. Your local e-MTB shop should be able to offer more localized info on the best places to ride e-bikes off-road near you.
    https://e-bikerumor.com/2019/01/04/a...e-bike-riders/

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RajunCajun44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,905
    really this only applies to state trust land and any other state park/recreation area.... because any other municipality has the right to make their own regulation. So, this is current law by municipality.

    Municipality regulation
    state trust e bikes allowed.
    State parks e bikes allowed
    Maricopa county parks e bikes allowed
    Scottsdale City parks e bikes not allowed
    Phoenix city parks e bikes allowed
    National forest trails e bikes not allowed
    prescott city parks e bikes allowed
    BLM trails e bikes not allowed

    of course anywhere where dirt bikes are allowed, e bikes would be allowed... That would include single track trails like the Yankee Doodle trail.

    Mountain bikes are not allowed on any National Park/Monument trails (that I am aware of)... and hence e bikes would of course not be allowed.

    The indian reservations do have trails that you can use with the correct permit... I have no idea what the regulations are for each tribe.. but Ill bet none of them have any laws in the books about e bikes... yet...

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: azmtbkr81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    141
    Yeah, I think a lot of us were blindsided. It seems that the e-bike companies and the lobbyists that they support have been shockingly well organized and aggressive in gaining e-bike access to human-powered only trails.

    Any advice on how I can get involved in advocating against e-bike access in AZ?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hikerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    975
    Quote Originally Posted by azmtbkr81 View Post
    Yeah, I think a lot of us were blindsided. It seems that the e-bike companies and the lobbyists that they support have been shockingly well organized and aggressive in gaining e-bike access to human-powered only trails.

    Any advice on how I can get involved in advocating against e-bike access in AZ?
    Figure out how you were hurt when I rode my e-bike on the Pemberton trail or on the Desert Classic. Then you’ll have a great argument.
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: azmtbkr81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by hikerdave View Post
    Figure out how you were hurt when I rode my e-bike on the Pemberton trail or on the Desert Classic. Then you’ll have a great argument.
    Thanks for the advice, I already have my arguments/reasons figured out, just need to determine the right audience.

    I've been reading through some of the other threads and will probably start with the basics like contacting local land managers, contacting my state rep, possibly attending a city council meeting, and joining a local cycling advocacy group. I'm not a big poster on this site, but I feel strongly enough about this to at least try to have my voice heard.

  11. #11
    Life's a ride, enjoy it! Moderator
    Reputation: life behind bars's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,994
    Quote Originally Posted by azmtbkr81 View Post
    Yeah, I think a lot of us were blindsided. It seems that the e-bike companies and the lobbyists that they support have been shockingly well organized and aggressive in gaining e-bike access to human-powered only trails.

    Any advice on how I can get involved in advocating against e-bike access in AZ?




    Contact the various land managers and let them know your feelings.
    Wanted, SRAM GX 2x11 rear derailleur

    It ain't supposed to be easy.

  12. #12
    Ahhh the pain....
    Reputation: Raybum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,463
    Literally in the last 4 days, I have come across 3 separate groups on e-bikes.... 2 groups out in the McDowell Park, and one in PMP. The two groups out in the McDowells were elderly folk, easily in their 60's if not 70's toodling along the trail...pretty harmless.
    The other two dudes in PMP were young...like 20 somethings that looked like a little real exercise would not have hurt them...
    Can't say I'm too pleased with them in PMP...lots and lots of hikers and potential for conflict.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: azmtbkr81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    Contact the various land managers and let them know your feelings.
    Already on it, thanks.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Literally in the last 4 days, I have come across 3 separate groups on e-bikes.... 2 groups out in the McDowell Park, and one in PMP. The two groups out in the McDowells were elderly folk, easily in their 60's if not 70's toodling along the trail...pretty harmless.
    The other two dudes in PMP were young...like 20 somethings that looked like a little real exercise would not have hurt them...
    Can't say I'm too pleased with them in PMP...lots and lots of hikers and potential for conflict.
    I really don't understand the logic here. I understand the emotion, but seems to lack logic.

    If Arizona has passed this new law, then the biggest argument people were using originally is moot, that we would lose trail access. That no longer applies if the state itself is saying 'class 1 is ok'.

    Then, people talk about potential for conflict. Really? If you think the 20 something dude bombing down a trail on a DH rig is less of a concern then I don't know what to say.

    I have rented a Turbo Levo while on vacation, and rode my friends Pivot Firebird on the same trails. It totally changed my opinion, and was eye opening. It really felt like riding a heavier bike, but with stronger legs. Guess what? I was faster on the downhill portions on the Pivot. Should you call the land manager and ban that bike?

    Was I faster on the climbs, sure. Not much. I wasn't anywhere near the KOM. Should the guy with the KOM be banned?

    What am I missing? Grow the sport, seems good to me. I will stick with my Pivot 5.5 as primary bike regardless, but this is a really odd argument.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    406
    I still don't get the ebike hate. I demo'd 2 weeks ago an Intense Tazer for 3 days and loved every minute! My uphills were faster by a few minutes, but I still didn't hit the top 20 overall on any climbs on Strava. I guess anyone faster than me should be banned. My downhills where about the same times as my regular bike and again I'm maybe in the top 20% for downhill on Strava, I guess anyone faster than me should be banned.

    I did 3 rides for just over 60 miles. My average heart rate: 1st ride 150bpm, 2nd ride 133bpm & 3rd ride 135bpm. So whoever says it's cheating, well they're wrong, I got a very good workout.

    My last 3 rides on my regular bike I totalled about 24 miles. My average heart rate: 1st 147bpm, 2nd ride 148bpm & 3rd 140bpm. Yes, I worked a little harder on this bike, but I rode for a longer time on the ebike each day.

    The Tazer was unable to roost at all on the climbs, so not sure how ebikes are any different for trail erosion than any other mountain bikes. I just don't get the hate generated by people. What exactly has an ebike done to anyone who has such disdain. Again, I'm only talking about class 1 ebikes that you have to pedal for any type of assist.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    406
    I tried hard to say out of threads like this, because I know people get attacked when they speak up for Ebikes. It didn't take long to get a bad REP remark for giving my honest opinion. I love bike riding and I love our community, it's amazing that some of my fellow riders are so closed minded.

    Good for AZ's and I'm sure more states will follow.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hikerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    975
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbiker View Post
    I still don't get the ebike hate. I demo'd 2 weeks ago an Intense Tazer for 3 days and loved every minute! My uphills were faster by a few minutes, but I still didn't hit the top 20 overall on any climbs on Strava. I guess anyone faster than me should be banned. My downhills where about the same times as my regular bike and again I'm maybe in the top 20% for downhill on Strava, I guess anyone faster than me should be banned.

    I did 3 rides for just over 60 miles. My average heart rate: 1st ride 150bpm, 2nd ride 133bpm & 3rd ride 135bpm. So whoever says it's cheating, well they're wrong, I got a very good workout.

    My last 3 rides on my regular bike I totalled about 24 miles. My average heart rate: 1st 147bpm, 2nd ride 148bpm & 3rd 140bpm. Yes, I worked a little harder on this bike, but I rode for a longer time on the ebike each day.

    The Tazer was unable to roost at all on the climbs, so not sure how ebikes are any different for trail erosion than any other mountain bikes. I just don't get the hate generated by people. What exactly has an ebike done to anyone who has such disdain. Again, I'm only talking about class 1 ebikes that you have to pedal for any type of assist.
    Out of the saddle with full weight on the pedal I generate 170 N-m of torque, which is far more than the 70 N-m my e-bike develops; I’ve geared down my e-bike so that I mostly remain seated when climbing so that I can remain seated because this is much easier on my arthtitic SI joint. Either configuration, standard bike or e-bike, can generate climb-stopping wheel spin; I don’t believe that trail damage is a factor.

    The fear of loss of access is driving the hate; more and faster mountain bikes means more potentially pissed-off hikers and even more trail widening. Personally, I don’t see it; I don’t get the infrequent hateful hiker stink-eye any more on the e-bike than I did on the standard bike. I think that most hikers would perceive the e-bike riding as something that they could do, as opposed to mountain biking which requires an elite level, if they even noticed the difference.

    I stopped and talked with one elderly couple on the trail who liked my e-bike; the woman, who looked like she was in her late 70’s, rode an e-bike on the road.

    I doubt that many electric walgoose bikes will be appearing on the trail anytime soon; people who view bicycles as toys are unlikely to pay double the price when they think that a three hundred dollar bicycle is an expensive luxury.
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

  18. #18
    Ahhh the pain....
    Reputation: Raybum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,463
    Honestly, I'm not on the "hate" side of e-bikes... My emotional response to them as seen above varies...cool for crowd where the extra help enables them to get out and enjoy the trails more than w/o it (ie, elderly, physical disabilities), but just an excuse to not exercise for the more capable. I know, I know, the pedal assist bikes still require human power input. Again, that's my emotional response (coming from a guy that routinely beats himself up with intense exercise). My more rational response is, "hey, as long as they are obeying the rules of the trail system, then fine".
    I think most of the angst (me included) is the "potential" to abuse the right (modified e-bikes for example) that result (eventually) in trail access being limited or taken away. Hard to really quantify the risk of it since as we all know, plenty of human powered folks out there strava-buzzing hikers and failing to exhibit good trail etiquette.
    I'm sure just like we've all come across moto tracks on non-motorized trails, someone is going to modify their e-bike and tear things up... But, again, being rational about this, I don't think this is majority.
    OK, so there you go...emotionally against, rationally for (with caution).

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JoePAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,834
    Quote Originally Posted by idc22 View Post
    If Arizona has passed this new law, then the biggest argument people were using originally is moot, that we would lose trail access...
    No in fact the battle begins. Now that there are more bikes on the trail there more chance for conflict and hikers will just say a "bike" blew by me and ran me off the trail. They will not be able to distinguish e-bike from a real bike.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

  20. #20
    I am Walt
    Reputation: waltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,384
    I'm for them, though I don't ride them (yet). Nice to have the option in my later years.

    I categorically dismiss the argument about trail damage and user conflicts, as I strongly believe that gravity-type riders cause FAR more damage than any other MTB user, including e-bikes, with a greater disregard for fellow trail users. Look at any trail system and the damage, stutter bumps, washed out turns, cheater lines, etc, caused by gravity-type riders blowing down the trails and skidding into and through the turns, moto-style. Flame away, but thems the facts.
    Ride more; post less...

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JoePAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,834
    Walt,
    I am not concerned about trail damage. I am concerned about user conflicts. Mostly on climbs where speed doubles from 5-6mph to 10-12 mph. What I think we can agree on is that experiment has started and time will tell what issue (if any) do arise.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

  22. #22
    IPA tester
    Reputation: Dirtrider127's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,071
    Regardless of the type of bike people ride, if they are dicks, they will be dicks causing issues. I'm amazed at the attitude of trail users of all types, not just eBikers. Kinda sad really when we are all just trying to get outside to enjoy our time.
    "We'll ride it until they pave it."

    -Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,344
    Most of the hate reads more like fear of change and ego. Not saying that about this thread, to be honest I'm not going to read much in here but more generally speaking.

    It's an experiment for now so we don't really know if there is going to be increased conflict. So far the ebikes I've looked at are super pricey so the market isn't going to be the young and dumb crowd for the most part. I'd argue that the young men around the college age are the ones that most often blast by people scaring them. Uphills I wouldn't be too worried about, it's not like you can't practically come to a complete stop in a second or two. As far as causing more erosion I kind of think that's BS. You know what the problem that really causes trail destruction? Crappy built trails!

  24. #24
    I am Walt
    Reputation: waltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,384
    I agree with all three posts above!
    Ride more; post less...

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: k2rider1964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,174
    I wouldn't have a concern about bikes....

    IF they could actually regulate the type of bikes being ridden....as in Type/Class I "that have a top speed of 20 mph". However, they can't and once the door is open, every imaginable type of ebike is going to be out there including Type/Class III with throttles and top speeds of 40+. I've already seen them, albeit illegally, on trails I was riding back in November.

    As mentioned by Raybum, a bike is a bike is a bike to the casual observer when they call in to complain about wreckless behavior. Even if an educated MTBR who knows what he talking about sees a Class III on the trails and calls a Ranger, the odds that they will get out there and find the offender are essentially nil.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: azmtbkr81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    141

    City of Phoenix Meeting

    I've been doing some research and sending some e-mails. Looks like the first opportunity to make our voices heard (for those of us in Phoenix) is next week during the City of Phoenix's Parks and Rec Code of Conduct Meetings.

    The city will be conducting these meetings to receive input from the public on rules and policies for city parks. Currently, e-Bikes are permitted on city park trails (SoMo, PMP, etc) due to the bill referenced at the top of the thread. However, local land managers have the right to make their own rules based on what they think is best, so it may be possible yet to supplant the current rules.

    There should be quite a few representatives from hiking and equestrian groups too; it should be good opportunity to get their thoughts on motorized bikes in this public forum as I am not sure many are aware of the controversy.

    The meeting schedule is below, here is a link to the city's website with more information on the meetings.

    Hope to see some of you there, if we don't make some noise the current rules on e-Bikes will likely stand uncontested.

    Tuesday, Jan. 15, 2019 – 6 to 8 p.m.
    South Mountain Community Center, 212 E. Alta Vista Rd.

    Wednesday, Jan. 16, 2019 – 6 to 8 p.m.
    Deer Valley Community Center, 2001 W. Wahalla Ln.

    Thursday, Jan. 17, 2019 – 6 to 8 p.m.
    Steele Indian School Park, Memorial Hall, 300 E. Indian School Rd.

    Tuesday, Jan. 22, 2019 – 6 to 8 p.m.
    Maryvale Community Center, 4420 N. 51st Ave.

  27. #27
    Just another half mile...
    Reputation: Epicrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,061
    The argument that e-bikes doubling of speeds on climbs will increase user conflict is really nullified by the fact that downhill speeds will away be faster.


    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Walt,
    I am not concerned about trail damage. I am concerned about user conflicts. Mostly on climbs where speed doubles from 5-6mph to 10-12 mph. What I think we can agree on is that experiment has started and time will tell what issue (if any) do arise.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JoePAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,834
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider View Post
    The argument that e-bikes doubling of speeds on climbs will increase user conflict is really nullified by the fact that downhill speeds will away be faster.
    Except that now there twice as many chances for conflict. And not to mention false flat of 1-3% where speed goes from 10-20mph. And DH speeds are limited by terrain and rider skill. I can see plenty of places on T100 where speeds used by 8 to 16 mph for the 25% percentile rider (up an down) that are now going to be 12-20mph for 75% percentile rider. More people going faster in more places in both directions now.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: k2rider1964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,174
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Except that now there twice as many chances for conflict. And not to mention false flat of 1-3% where speed goes from 10-20mph. And DH speeds are limited by terrain and rider skill. I can see plenty of places on T100 where speeds used by 8 to 16 mph for the 25% percentile rider (up an down) that are now going to be 12-20mph for 75% percentile rider. More people going faster in more places in both directions now.
    ....and all that is assuming everyone will actually be on Class I bikes which we know will not be the case. There will be people out there with their bolt on motors and throttles going much, much faster. We already see it out here on Palm Canyon in SoCal.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JoePAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,834
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    ....and all that is assuming everyone will actually be on Class I bikes which we know will not be the case. There will be people out there with their bolt on motors and throttles going much, much faster. We already see it out here on Palm Canyon in SoCal.
    Right.... Now if everyone is "nice" there may not be any issues. However I am not holding my breath on everyone being nice.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by azmtbkr81 View Post
    I've been doing some research and sending some e-mails. Looks like the first opportunity to make our voices heard (for those of us in Phoenix) is next week during the City of Phoenix's Parks and Rec Code of Conduct Meetings.

    The city will be conducting these meetings to receive input from the public on rules and policies for city parks. Currently, e-Bikes are permitted on city park trails (SoMo, PMP, etc) due to the bill referenced at the top of the thread. However, local land managers have the right to make their own rules based on what they think is best, so it may be possible yet to supplant the current rules.

    There should be quite a few representatives from hiking and equestrian groups too; it should be good opportunity to get their thoughts on motorized bikes in this public forum as I am not sure many are aware of the controversy.

    The meeting schedule is below, here is a link to the city's website with more information on the meetings.

    Hope to see some of you there, if we don't make some noise the current rules on e-Bikes will likely stand uncontested.

    Tuesday, Jan. 15, 2019 – 6 to 8 p.m.
    South Mountain Community Center, 212 E. Alta Vista Rd.

    Wednesday, Jan. 16, 2019 – 6 to 8 p.m.
    Deer Valley Community Center, 2001 W. Wahalla Ln.

    Thursday, Jan. 17, 2019 – 6 to 8 p.m.
    Steele Indian School Park, Memorial Hall, 300 E. Indian School Rd.

    Tuesday, Jan. 22, 2019 – 6 to 8 p.m.
    Maryvale Community Center, 4420 N. 51st Ave.
    Be Careful what you wish for! I would wager it's mostly the enduro want a be, you need to be really worried about. I've run into more idiots on downhills who simply don't give a sh^t. I can see all those other groups, look at your group with your this complaint and go well you bring up a good point and by the way we've run into scary mountain bikers more often on the downhills.

  32. #32
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,244
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtrider127 View Post
    Regardless of the type of bike people ride, if they are dicks, they will be dicks causing issues. I'm amazed at the attitude of trail users of all types, not just eBikers. Kinda sad really when we are all just trying to get outside to enjoy our time.
    eStravaholes .....

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,639
    Got enough user conflict in my neck of the woods without having bikes that can go uphill as fast as they can down. The hikers hate the biking community here. Maybe dislike is a better word but it's not easy advocating for more trails that's for sure.

    Here's the USFS stance on ebikes. https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd563344.pdf

  34. #34
    The .05 percent
    Reputation: sinatorj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    906
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Got enough user conflict in my neck of the woods without having bikes that can go uphill as fast as they can down. The hikers hate the biking community here. Maybe dislike is a better word but it's not easy advocating for more trails that's for sure.

    Here's the USFS stance on ebikes. https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd563344.pdf
    We got it shitty nuff up here with our current trail network. Sierra club types would be happy to put a fence round the entire forest and not let anyone in. E bikes def not going to improve the situation. If u want to ride your moped in the cinders, knock yourself out.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,205
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Got enough user conflict in my neck of the woods without having bikes that can go uphill as fast as they can down. The hikers hate the biking community here. Maybe dislike is a better word but it's not easy advocating for more trails that's for sure.

    Here's the USFS stance on ebikes. https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd563344.pdf
    You've clearly never ridden a Class 1 ebike. I don't even have to ask.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,639
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    You've clearly never ridden a Class 1 ebike. I don't even have to ask.
    Only on the street. I have been passed several times on local trails while climbing and I'm not that slow. Also had one blow right through our trail event. Not sure if it was a class I or II. Therein lies part of the problem.

    Clearly you've never sat at a table with a bunch of angry hikers and Sierra Club members while advocating for more mountain bike access or perhaps something as radical as a directional trail.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hikerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    975
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Only on the street. I have been passed several times on local trails while climbing and I'm not that slow. Also had one blow right through our trail event. Not sure if it was a class I or II. Therein lies part of the problem.

    Clearly you've never sat at a table with a bunch of angry hikers and Sierra Club members while advocating for more mountain bike access or perhaps something as radical as a directional trail.
    E-bike riders aren’t being denied trail access because they can always ride a human-powered bike or walk. Welcome to the Sierra Club, subject of course to the approval of your credit card.
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,639
    Quote Originally Posted by hikerdave View Post
    E-bike riders aren’t being denied trail access because they can always ride a human-powered bike or walk. Welcome to the Sierra Club, subject of course to the approval of your credit card.
    I'm not advocating for them or against them. IMO, let the land manager decide.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    484
    The world is full of a-holes wether it be hikers, mt bikers, or e-bikers. When they meet on the trail sparks can fly. I don't get all the e-bike hate either, and at the rate the bikes are advancing its going to be hard to tell an e-bike from a regular bike in 5-7 years without close inspection.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hikerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    975
    Quote Originally Posted by palerider View Post
    The world is full of a-holes wether it be hikers, mt bikers, or e-bikers. When they meet on the trail sparks can fly. I don't get all the e-bike hate either, and at the rate the bikes are advancing its going to be hard to tell an e-bike from a regular bike in 5-7 years without close inspection.
    With great power comes great responsibility. (In my case 500 extra watts, which is a lot in human terms )
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    378
    E-bike demo tomorrow at MMP

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    28
    How would everyone feel about e-bikes being limited on trails only to riders with disabilities and senior citizens? I liken this approach to states that only allow crossbows in archery season to the same groups. This helps give access to more people without disrupting the spirit of the sport.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

  43. #43
    The .05 percent
    Reputation: sinatorj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    906
    Quote Originally Posted by BHerd View Post
    How would everyone feel about e-bikes being limited on trails only to riders with disabilities and senior citizens? I liken this approach to states that only allow crossbows in archery season to the same groups. This helps give access to more people without disrupting the spirit of the sport.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Finally, someone else with my perspective. Bravo sir, I applaud u.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by BHerd View Post
    How would everyone feel about e-bikes being limited on trails only to riders with disabilities and senior citizens? I liken this approach to states that only allow crossbows in archery season to the same groups. This helps give access to more people without disrupting the spirit of the sport.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    i'd be down with that.
    My encounters on the trail with ebikes has been limited. The 3 i recall seeing though were people going uphill and not pedaling. My understanding was that ebikes were for pedal assists, these folks looked able bodied and were giving zero effort.

    In 5 years, how much will ebike motors progress? will they be like motorcycles on the trail.

    Also, it's annoying that most places ban me from using a drone that once launched, no one would know is there and ebikes are gaining acceptance.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jetman46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    93
    I agree 100%!!!

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sfgiantsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,037
    I think that this law is talking about bike paths and multi use paths which pertain to commuting. I got the link from the story.

    https://www.azleg.gov/viewdocument/?...s/28/00819.htm




    From the law:" A class 1 electric bicycle or a class 2 electric bicycle may be used on bicycle and multiuse paths. A local authority or agency of this state having jurisdiction over a bicycle or multiuse path may prohibit the operation of a class 1 electric bicycle or class 2 electric bicycle on the path."

    I got these definitions from the ADOT

    "SHARED-USE PATH – A bikeway physically separated from motorized vehicular traffic by an open
    space or barrier and either within the highway right-of-way or within an independent right-of-way.
    Pedestrians, skaters, wheelchair users, joggers, and other non-motorized users may also use shared-use
    paths."

    BICYCLE LANE OR BIKE LANE – A portion of a roadway that has been designated by striping,
    signing, and pavement markings for the preferential or exclusive use of bicyclists.
    BICYCLE PATH or BIKE PATH – See Shared-Use Path."
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RajunCajun44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,905
    some of you all may find this informative.... it describes the different electric mountain bike classes..

    https://electricbikereview.com/forum...-matter.22738/

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hikerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    975
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    I think that this law is talking about bike paths and multi use paths which pertain to commuting. I got the link from the story.

    https://www.azleg.gov/viewdocument/?...s/28/00819.htm




    From the law:" A class 1 electric bicycle or a class 2 electric bicycle may be used on bicycle and multiuse paths. A local authority or agency of this state having jurisdiction over a bicycle or multiuse path may prohibit the operation of a class 1 electric bicycle or class 2 electric bicycle on the path."

    I got these definitions from the ADOT

    "SHARED-USE PATH – A bikeway physically separated from motorized vehicular traffic by an open
    space or barrier and either within the highway right-of-way or within an independent right-of-way.
    Pedestrians, skaters, wheelchair users, joggers, and other non-motorized users may also use shared-use
    paths."

    BICYCLE LANE OR BIKE LANE – A portion of a roadway that has been designated by striping,
    signing, and pavement markings for the preferential or exclusive use of bicyclists.
    BICYCLE PATH or BIKE PATH – See Shared-Use Path."
    Land managers of Maricopa County have interpreted this law as to allow eBikes on trails.
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

Similar Threads

  1. I miss riding. I miss the Front Range.
    By bikeCOLORADO in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 12-04-2012, 08:02 PM
  2. Big Bend: What not to miss?
    By nikwashere in forum Texas
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-07-2011, 02:04 PM
  3. Palmer Park, I miss it so
    By Funrover in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-30-2011, 08:59 AM
  4. I really miss commuting!
    By Solomon76 in forum Commuting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-09-2011, 07:01 AM

Members who have read this thread: 254

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.