How to ship a wheelset cheaply- Mtbr.com
    No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

How to ship a wheelset cheaply

Sold a set of 650b wheels I recently had built and didn't care for the size. Sold via MTBR to a guy in New York state. Anyone have an idea on how to ship oversized items like this for a reasonable fee.

The wheelset is set up tubeless w/ tires. I built a custom box out of a bike box and it ended up measuring 36w by 32h by 9 deep. I stopped by one of those mailing places and they quoted me $101.

I've had entire bikes shipped from manufacturers for $25 to $50. What am I missing here?

mtbr member
    Have a friend do it for free from his business. No one gets hurt man.

mtbr member
    Fedex is usually the cheapest when I ship my bike. From here to WA state it costs me $48 including insurance. Go directly to fedex or ups, or do it with an online acct., it's worth it.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Now that you mention it, I created an account at FedEx/Kinkos. I'll try there tomorrow. Thanks.

Fragile - must be Italian
    Smash it up and stuff it in an envelope. Just make sure to slap on about 20 stamps...

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    Sold a set of 650b wheels I recently had built and didn't care for the size. Sold via MTBR to a guy in New York state. Anyone have an idea on how to ship oversized items like this for a reasonable fee.

The wheelset is set up tubeless w/ tires. I built a custom box out of a bike box and it ended up measuring 36w by 32h by 9 deep. I stopped by one of those mailing places and they quoted me $101.

I've had entire bikes shipped from manufacturers for $25 to $50. What am I missing here?
    Go to a bike shop and have them do it. I've shipped one wheelset. FexEx quoted me 80 bucks. Took to LBS, and they charged me $15 to box and ship.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

parenting for gnarness
    USPS is I think $9.80 for priority mail, or if you (or your shop) has a UPS corp accounbt that is pretty good too.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

EDR
    Unless that shipping place is a "UPS Store" then they overcharge and pocket money for the business...Mail Boxes Etc. for example.

Anyhow I shipped a complete bike (in one box) to Rhode Island for around $65 bucks via UPS or FedEx, can't remember. The first quote was $130 b/c the box was one inch too long. So I crunched down that extra inch......voila, 60 bucks saved.

Check out USPS for sure.

Members who have read this thread: 0