How to Ride Faster in the Dark.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

How to Ride Faster in the Dark.

Read The Road before a night ride.

Went for a ride last night, and headed West on T100. Just before the Cave Creek tunnel, I came across what I assume was a squatter looking for cans. I had just finished reading the book The Road--which follows a father and sun on their journey during the post apocolypse--and for some reason my imagination began to run wild. If you know that area, it's very dense, and all I could think about was that damn book and the "bad guys" hiding in the bushes waiting for me. Around every corner, I swear I saw eyes peering out of the brush. When I got out of the dense area, I convinced myself that I had "escaped," but all I could think about the rest of the ride was that I had to ride through that area heading back home, and they would be waiting for me.

I have never rode faster at night in my life. Fear is a great motivator.

(This is obviously a brag post about 1) actually riding my bike, and 2) actually finishing a book cover to cover.)
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire

Went for a ride last night, and headed West on T100. Just before the Cave Creek tunnel, I came across what I assume was a squatter looking for cans. I had just finished reading the book The Road--which follows a father and sun on their journey during the post apocolypse--and for some reason my imagination began to run wild. If you know that area, it's very dense, and all I could think about was that damn book and the "bad guys" hiding in the bushes waiting for me. Around every corner, I swear I saw eyes peering out of the brush. When I got out of the dense area, I convinced myself that I had "escaped," but all I could think about the rest of the ride was that I had to ride through that area heading back home, and they would be waiting for me.

(This is obviously a brag post about 1) actually riding my bike, and 2) actually finishing a book cover to cover.)
    It was me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly
    It was me.
    Dude, I was trying to save you some embarassment. Stripes and plaids DO NOT go together.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire

I always have the feeling, when I am in a low cover area and there is a slight haze in the air, of that scene from Werewolf in London when they are walking along the road then they are off the road into...the moors, then they hear that horrible cry and start to run then.......

I really pedal hard.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

AKA shitbird
    People actually read books from cover to cover including EVERYTHING in between? That's pretty darn impressive! I salute you sir. I managed to earn a college degree and graduate magna *** laude and I don't think I ever read an entire book.
    JRA

AKA shitbird
    Haha, it edited the c.u.m from magna (bad word) laude.
    JRA

Ouch, I am hot!
    This is why reason and such does not always prevail. We know there are no monsters out there, but out there alone at night one's mind starts to play tricks. We get spooked. Religion is one outcome of our minds playing tricks on us. We need to feel safe in the dark.

I once saw a naked albino teenager running amok out there one night.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    I was out riding alone a couple weeks ago when my normal night-riding cohorts stood me up. I swear I heard the sounds of a mountain lion running behind me. I'd stop and shine my light up into the cactus and creosote looking for and hoping not to see shining eyes staring back.

I rode very fast that night.
    Graeme Hunt Design - www.graemehuntdesign.com

Wait, what!?
    I dont think I could ride alone at night. Too many creepy things and people could be out at DD at any giving time. EFF that.

Tucson, AZ
    Did the Tucson Mountain Park last night. Only ran into one hiker and NakedGuy (max). Nice, peaceful ride.

A few weeks ago, I brought all the lights out, over 1000 lumens!!!!! (nite rider minewt dual AND the Arc HID Light in Motion AND a cateye handlebar mount). I have never had so much light on a bike. It was a little ridiculous to use them all; just wanted to see how bright I could make the trail.

If you start getting the hibby jeebies, up your lumens maybe.

Members who have read this thread: 0