How many of you can actually park in your garage?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

How many of you can actually park in your garage?

For those who have garages, how many of you are able to park in them? The SO and I bought our current home going on 5 years this Oct. For various reasons--first a massive house remodel, followed by an acquisition of a boat load (actually "garage load") of bikes--we've never been able to park in the garage.

One of the upcoming projects we have--in fact, probably the last in the long series of remodeling projects--is to "clean up" the garage. This means, I think, getting rid of the particle board cabinets, putting in built-in shelves, etc. The ultimate goal is to be able to park at least one car in there.

I'm a bit fearful that one of some of my "babies" will have to be sacrificed in order to achieve this. .
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire

I'm a bit fearful that one of some of my "babies" will have to be sacrificed in order to achieve this. .
    gonna sell one of your cars?
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Shovel Ready
    Two car garage, can only fit my truck in it since I remolded it to have work space. I could probably fit 3 of Obama's new go carts in there without a problem.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

oh Lucky me
    Quote Originally Posted by trb2929
    Two car garage, can only fit my truck in it since I remolded it to have work space. I could probably fit 3 of Obama's new go carts in there without a problem.

?????
    ...Dying is the easy part, its living that's the challenge...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    gonna sell one of your cars?
    Let me clarify. We will NEVER get both cars in the garage, no matter how hard we try. But I have no problem no parking my POS in the driveway. I was able to move some things around and finally got Autumn's car in. Problem is, you had to get out by climbing out the back .

Shovel Ready

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus11
    ?????
    Vehicles similar to these.

Actual size!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Exodus11
    ?????
    I think Tim is calling Obama a clown.

Meatbomb
    My Accord fits nicely but my Super Duty is a couple feet too long

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have a small 2 car garage and I can barely fit my extended cab ranger and my mustang. I have to drop my passengers off, and back the mustang in but they are both indoors. That is one of the reasons I bought a house is for the garage...... I think it is funny as hell when people have a trail through it with all the useless crap they have collected.
    and the lurker returns to the dark corner

Shovel Ready

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    I think Tim is calling Obama a clown.
    Well it would not be the first or last time there was a circus going on in Washington. But now for the tough question. How many Skinny-Tire's can we fit in a smart car?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ttocs
    I think it is funny as hell when people have a trail through it with all the useless crap they have collected.
    Are you calling my Star Wars action figures "useless crap"?

Team Tortuga
    No cars currently in the garage. Working on getting rid of all the "useless crap I have collected". Hopefully by fall it will be car ready, at least for one. The other half is for my imaginary fleet of bikes that I hope will come to fruition some day.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I parka tundra and maxima in my 3 car garage plus a Racerx and Motolite. Then all the other stuff

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    We can get 1 car in out 3 car garage...

mtbr member
    I have a two car garage that I was able to park a car in for a few months... but then the bikes took over. I am trying to figure out how many singlespeeds one person actually needs before it becomes an addiction. I think that maybe I need to seek help...

We should post pics of our garages as a form of counseling... just a thought

im4Gsus
    one car in two-car garage; bikes safe inside da house.
    i like it!
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

Shred...it's the new drug
    I just actually cleaned mine out so the wife can park the matrix in there. Shuttle truck still has to sleep out side, but thats good for her. At least I kept one side of the garage for my growing collection of bikes and tools. The wife never thought I could get a car in there, and I proved her wrong...haha! back rubs for a month!

Kathleen in AZ
    4Runner, kayak, 7 bikes, work bench, bike stand, bike parts, camping gear, backpacking gear, yard tools, humongous bike case, washer/dryer/water heater/sink... all fit quite nicely into my 3-car garage with plenty of room to spare. I'd say the garage is my favorite room in the house. The backyard comes in at a close second.

drink coffee, ride.
    3 bikes, small work area, Tacoma and Mazda 6 in my 2 car - snug but works. I back my vehicle in, so both drivers doors are facing the middle, let's me get 'em closer to the wall.

Pivotal figure
    We have both cars in the garage, bikes sleep indoors
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

livin' the dream......
    One in and one out. 2 car garage with work out area (great for the summer..) and random crap.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Skinny I have the same problem. Toys rule the garage, guess I need to prioritize or let some motorized toys go.

A plethora of pinatas
    I had a 2 car garage for years and never parked in the garage. Now, I have moved into a place with 1 car garage and I do not even have enough room for our toys! UGH!!
    Marty

Always a good day to ride
    My toys have always taken priority over my cars.

In the rear with the beer
    I was parking in my garage the 1st 2 years (moved in in 2006), but gradual accumulation, and the setup of my trainer and weight bench (plus TV, accessory table, stereo....can't just stare at the garage door while on the trainer) moved my car to the driveway. Once it got too hot to workout in the garage and put away the trainer, I was able to park in there again, but now my soon to be wife (getting married on Saturday!!) is moving her stuff in (which means her stuff goes into the house, my stuff in the house goes to the garage). Between us we'll have 10 bikes, all of which get garage privileges....So no garage parking until I figure out some alternatives for all our crap (bikes, camping stuff, kayaks, crankjunkie coffee stuff, tools, etc, etc.). Maybe a big shed in the backyard is in my near term future....but i'm sure i'll fill that up quickly enough if I get it.
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

Sup?

3 car garage for 1 car

third bay is my 'man cave' the other two car bay is filled with a lexus rx330 that my wife drives. Kids are too young to be be that 'careful' with the doors still, so the Honda 'E' stays outside.

Syncro Westy never fit in there.. too tall. That's waiting for Man Cave II 'the sequel' to come.. many years down the road when I can have a sep. detached, high ceiling garage to put it and the bikes in (of course that will have A/C full wet bar, and table dancers ;-) !

vmb
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

2.5 Car Garage

We have a 2.5 car garage - it works great.

We park both vehicles (Toyota mini van and four door Tacoma with full size box) in the garage. I use a tennis ball hanging from ceiling to get the parking right for the Tacoma.

I have much of the same stuff Dirtgurl mentioned i.e. kayak, work bench, bunch of bikes (5 to be exact), Park Tool bike stand etc.....

I think it pays to: (1) be a neat freak (2) get rid of stuff we don't use.

In addition, I recently put in a drop down latter in the garage to get more storage for Christmas decorations and a few other things (you'd be surprised how much room is up there). I ended up with so much space I went hunting for things....(still tons of extra room).

Wait, what!?
    Ahh, the F-350 (4 door longbed - proud of it too) fits in the front garage no problem. Have to let the passenger side passengers out prior to entry, but thats ok with me. Also have the washer and dryer in there, along with the "shop sink" as I call it. The 2 car garage in the backyard holds the boat, two-person sea kayak, dirt bikes, tools, random crap I dont need, camping equipment, buddies 5X5 Elk mount that wont fit in my house, and other "temporary" things. I designated a special room in the house for the bikes and bike parts. That room is currently filled with 8 cycles, including a '72 Schwinn Twinn, a trike, ghetto uni, 3 mountain bikes, and 2 beach cruisers. I didnt realize how much crap I had until now....

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    1 car garage, my full sized car, 5 bikes, homebrew supplies, workbenches, xmas decorations, etc all fit. The rest of you have too much ****

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Cars in the Garage???

thats all I'm sayin....

mtbr member
    We technically have a "two car" garage but that's being generous. With both cars in there it's difficult to open the doors. We park the Jeep in the driveway and the garage consists of my old Mustang, two scooters, some shelving, for junk/tools, a new sink for our future kitchen remodel, 5 bikes and one bike frame.
    Graeme Hunt Design - www.graemehuntdesign.com

swashbucklerette
    Mine's kind of a long story. We have a 6 car detached garage and all the cars are outside. The house is a fixxer upper, and the garage is a structure that was unfinished inside. So we are working on both the house and garage. Cabinets are up in the garage and drywall is slowly going up. Right now all the mountain bikes and motorcycles live in the garage (tri and CX bikes in the house). We do have "trails" through all the stuff because it's pointless to try to organize everything since it's going to move, especially since the floor will get coated in stages. So the rollup doors to the garage stay shut most of the time.

The plan is to turn the 6 car garage into a shop (welding area, sandblast area, woodworking area, paint area, engine working area, lift, etc) and build a separate 3 car garage across from it where cars can actually live. Yeah, we kind of have a thing with "toys."

Beetlejuice!
    We have a 2 car garage but its a little bigger than your normal 2 car...maybe 2.5? Anyway we are both packrats but somehow manage to fit the 4runner the WRX, 2 work benches, washer, dryer, cabinets, shelving and a bunch of car parts and miscellaneous crap in there...and let me tell you it is a freaking mess in there right now. I can't wait to see how much more new junk we can fit in after we actually clean it out in October.
    "too weird to live, too rare to die" - HST
    "Oh Gravity, thou art a heartless bitch" - Sheldon

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by weezerbot
    clean it out in October.

It's always October isn't it. I can't tell you how long I've been sayin I'm going to clean it out in October.

mtbr member
    edited post. you can do it!

Members who have read this thread: 0