"No Clue Crew"

How to : Bust your waterfall cherry

Step 1- get an unexpected day off work.
    Somewhere in the AZ statutes it states- " if a mountain biker gets an unexpected day off from his place of employment, said mountain biker must ride on that day and he must make the ride special in some way, shape or form."
    Step 2- watch jusflos awesome video over and over to see just how easy the waterfall actually is. http://www.youtube.com/user/momentumvideoaz#p/u
    Step 3- Get to the top of the waterfall and walk the line twice before deciding " screw this, I'm not gonna kill myself trying to go down this." Then, sit at the top, feeling like a mentally defeated little girl.
    Step 4- Stop someone on their way up and ask him where the easiest line is. If you are lucky, he will actually walk/talk you through it from top to bottom. ( thanks Tim ! )
    Step 5- Watch another rider go down and ask him to kindly come back up and go down it one more time to show you how easy it really is. ( thanks dude on the Canondale, I'm sorry I forgot your name ! )
    Step 6- do what he just did. Twice !
    Step- 7 go OTB on something silly, coming back on Mormon and bend your derailleur hanger. ( this step is optional )

Scary ? Hell yes.
    Easy ? I wouldn't say easy.
    Easier than I thought it would be ? Hell yes !

pedaller
    someday....

CONGRATS!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Damn! Very nice.

I got to get this checked off the bucket list. 8+ years of mental torment. know it is out there haunting my sleep, mocking me.....that must stop.

BTW, I'm riding the spine or nothing at all. (yes that's easier.....)
    b

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc
    Damn! Very nice.

I got to get this checked off the bucket list. 8+ years of mental torment. know it is out there haunting my sleep, mocking me.....that must stop.

BTW, I'm riding the spine or nothing at all. (yes that's easier.....)

So that's what I heard when I was out there, sitting at the top trying to talk myself out of it.
    I could have sworn I heard a voice, resonating up from the rocks, carried by the wind saying "Brian ? Brian ? bawk bawk bawk bawk BAWK ! "

It all makes sense now !

The spine does look easier but it is scarier.
    Let's hook up and go make that spine our B*TCH soon !

parenting for gnarness
    i think the Spine is easier, but not necessarily for starters. I think dropping the left hand turn on the far right (looking down) is easier because you have a bailout in the middle. It lets you break the trial into pieces, and approach the 2nd big drop wtih a moment to get your thoughts.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenobite39
    Somewhere in the AZ statutes it states- " if a mountain biker gets an unexpected day off from his place of employment, said mountain biker must ride on that day and he must make the ride special in some way, shape or form."
    Step 2- watch jusflos awesome video over and over to see just how easy the waterfall actually is. http://www.youtube.com/user/momentumvideoaz#p/u
    Step 3- Get to the top of the waterfall and walk the line twice before deciding " screw this, I'm not gonna kill myself trying to go down this." Then, sit at the top, feeling like a mentally defeated little girl.
    Step 4- Stop someone on their way up and ask him where the easiest line is. If you are lucky, he will actually walk/talk you through it from top to bottom. ( thanks Tim ! )
    Step 5- Watch another rider go down and ask him to kindly come back up and go down it one more time to show you how easy it really is. ( thanks dude on the Canondale, I'm sorry I forgot your name ! )
    Step- 7 go OTB on something silly, coming back on Mormon and bend your derailleur hanger. ( this step is optional )

Scary ? Hell yes.

haha! that was pretty funny. Congrats on over-coming your fear.

I love bike!
    Well I've successfully completed steps 1-5, skipped step 6 and completed step 7...somethings not right here

wrecking crew
    Yeah! Congrats! You just started riding recently and see? You did it!
    ~~~

Kathleen in AZ
    Nicely done!

"No Clue Crew"
    Thanks for the replies everyone !
    Brian, I do hope you saw my twisted humor in my last post. I know we've only ridden together once and sometimes I take for granted that people just automatically assume that I am only serious about .6% of the time !

Ridin bikes is fun
    I've done it maybe 10 times, I only get out there a few times a year. The last two times I've been out there I haven't been feeling it. I'm working very hard on getting a 6" bike and once I do it's the first place I'm going to ..

Powered by ice cream.
    Congrats. I found it easiest to just sack up and follow Durtgurl.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    Congrats. I found it easiest to just sack up and follow Durtgurl.
    Good thing you weren't following me on my last Wed AM shuttle run when I cartwheeled down the waterfall. My knee still hurts

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    go 4 IT!!!

from SOMO on Vimeo.

"No Clue Crew"
    Yeah, that left hand line is frickin' insane !

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    Good thing you weren't following me on my last Wed AM shuttle run when I cartwheeled down the waterfall. My knee still hurts
    jeebus DG! be careful, dogs need their momma!

i've gotten comfy with the Spine really methodically over 30-40 shots, just know what you have to do and focus. Its led to some puckers, but now its more about process than if I'm having a groovy day, and that is super cool cause now its a tool in the toolbox. its definitely made me a better rider getting reps and comfort in my technique on that.

keep hitting it!

Pivotal figure
    The left line is even more mental than the spine. Not terribly hard to do but damn hard convincing yourself to actually go for it. BTW, I have friends who've been riding Nat'l as long as me (16 yrs) but they've never done the waterfall. Good on ya!
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    We need some fine individuals to hold a National for dummies ride, for folks like me who are finally starting to ride some trails other than DC and the Comp loops. I stepped up to a Giant Reign X from my Stumpjumper FSR, and I am hitting way more than I was able to with the Stumpjumper on National, but I have chickened out every time when it comes to the waterfall. Heck There were a few people out there one day that showed me a few different ways down the waterfall, but still did not feel right that day. I will do it just need to build up some confidence first. Gotta take it easy until my fork is fixed though. The dampner cartridge took a dump after a few rides, so playing the waiting game until Marzocchi ships the replacement. Still going riding tomorrow, but fork action is weird.

"Yabut"
    Good job Rick!! It's on my list. And next time my SuMo and me are out there, I am DOING IT!!
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

mtbr member
    I rode up to the waterfall for the first time on Tuesday and I must say that videos do no justice at all. I watched all these vids thinking what's so hard about that. Then I actually saw it in person. Well, it's a little different than I expected, lol.

My other ride is your mom
    congrats.....I'm still looking to buy a "sack" so I can sack up on the waterfall......I really like the approach cholla talks about, breaking it into sections to work progressively.

I did, however do some stuff on Jedi yesterday that I thought I would not do, and was damn glad I did it. Things always seem way easier after you sack up and do it.....I'm usually angry at myself after doing something for the first time because it's mostly a mental problem.

Again.....way to go on the commitment.

"No Clue Crew"
    Ken- I have a feeling that the left line while "not terribly hard to do" may apply to you but looking down on it yesterday, it looks pretty damn insane to even think about trying ! someday.....Thank you for the props !

JVM- Did I run into you on DC this morning ? I was on the Enduro.

Aaron- come on up and lets do it ! I should have went back up this morning and did it again because I still know it's going to be scary !

dunerinaz- I was the same way. I saw videos of guys ( and girls ) cleaning it on youtube and it looked waay easy. so I rode out there to "knock it off my list." The first time I saw it, I was really surpised at how scary it is. Second times a charm though !

Maadjurguer- the toughest part for me was at the very end. I almost went otb because I didnt have enough speed. On the second run, I laid off the brakes after you cut the hard left and it was much smoother.

Thanks for the props everyone !

RHRF!

The Left Line

I was told by some 'SoMo Vets' that the left line was know as the 'P u s s y Line'. This vid is before I went OTB on the PL - I am still working up the 'sack' to do it again...

from titusbro on Vimeo.

"The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)

"No Clue Crew"
    There now, see ? That's looks easy enough, RIGHT ?
    That's awesome, cuz you def make it look easy.

mtbr member
    Ken- I have a feeling that the left line while "not terribly hard to do" may apply to you but looking down on it yesterday, it looks pretty damn insane to even think about trying ! someday.....Thank you for the props !

JVM- Did I run into you on DC this morning ? I was on the Enduro.

Aaron- come on up and lets do it ! I should have went back up this morning and did it again because I still know it's going to be scary !

dunerinaz- I was the same way. I saw videos of guys ( and girls ) cleaning it on youtube and it looked waay easy. so I rode out there to "knock it off my list." The first time I saw it, I was really surpised at how scary it is. Second times a charm though !

Maadjurguer- the toughest part for me was at the very end. I almost went otb because I didnt have enough speed. On the second run, I laid off the brakes after you cut the hard left and it was much smoother.

Thanks for the props everyone !
    I met someone on a Enduro today but it coming back down Mormon. I went up National then down Geronimo for the first time and had a blast. The HAB back up Mormon at 24th street sucked though. I stood at the top of the waterfall today sizing it up, but need to buy some more body armor first.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I want to hit up south mountain soon. I am a decent rider and will be coming up from tucson. Should i switch over to flats for this ride or stay clipped in? I want to try some grrovy fun stuff but am kinda worried about the tech stuff until I see it. Which trails should I make sure i hit. generally i like the rough stuff but some of the drops mentioned have me kinda worried. I ride full face all the time but have no armor. I ride a ironhorse mk3 which is a 5" travel front and rear. Would love a DH bike but no in the funds.... so who can steer me in the right direction. Whens the best time to ride(week/weekends) and heatwise? I generally ride after work at 10am to 12 or 1. I have mostly every other day off and work 24 hour schedules so I can make alot of thing work. I tent to ride by myself and want to ride with better people to make them "force" me to do stuff. Thanks in advance. Sorry for the thread derail...

not gonna lie alot of you guys make this look too easy!!

A Huckin' Hypocrite

Hook up

Theres some guys that have been coming up from Tucson for the Wednesdays shuttles. Wednesday is a great day to ride because of less traffic and we hit all the fun trails. A wise investment in my opinion would be some armor though... feels way better crashin with it on than off and if you're not crashin...increase your speed
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live.
    Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    judging by the pics and videos I dont think I'm ready for the shuttle stuff yet with you boys and girls... but hope to gain some skill up there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EPDP99
    I want to hit up south mountain soon. I am a decent rider and will be coming up from tucson. Should i switch over to flats for this ride or stay clipped in? I want to try some grrovy fun stuff but am kinda worried about the tech stuff until I see it. Which trails should I make sure i hit. generally i like the rough stuff but some of the drops mentioned have me kinda worried. I ride full face all the time but have no armor. I ride a ironhorse mk3 which is a 5" travel front and rear. Would love a DH bike but no in the funds.... so who can steer me in the right direction. Whens the best time to ride(week/weekends) and heatwise? I generally ride after work at 10am to 12 or 1. I have mostly every other day off and work 24 hour schedules so I can make alot of thing work. I tent to ride by myself and want to ride with better people to make them "force" me to do stuff. Thanks in advance. Sorry for the thread derail...

not gonna lie alot of you guys make this look too easy!!
    As far as flats vs clipless, I had that same question a few months back too. If you are comfortable riding techie stuff clipped in, by all means do it. I ride it clipped in and feel like it's a big advantage on powering through the tech climbs as well as staying on the pedals going down. Plus, usually if you wreck you end up naturally flailng so wildly you get unclipped anyway

As far as trails the natural canned response for the first timer would be Mormon to National up to the saddle or Buena Vista lot and down National. There are countless other possibilites but that's the most common and is a great sampler for the first time. I can send you a GPX of that if want. Also for a great Somo map check out Mike TheBarqsMan's at mtbikeaz.com.

For timing, Somo gets busy on weekends, although the heat is already clearing out the seasonal trail users. Today I had to fight for a spot at the start of the day, but by the afternoon I was one of the only people on the trail! If you can, I'd go during the week. If you're worried about heat shoot for a morning ride for sure. It's still not tooo hot yet though.

Hope you enjoy it. A lot of the bike skills I have I learned from this ride so I'm quick to advocate it!

I love bike!
    Finally busted my cherry today...twice Felt so good I had to do it again...and make sure it wasn't just a fluke.

Went down right line thru the gap. Hardest part was the approach. Rest wasn't as hard/scary as I thought it would be.

Also saw my first chuckwallas. It was a great day

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by dsittman
    Finally busted my cherry today...twice Felt so good I had to do it again...and make sure it wasn't just a fluke.

Went down right line thru the gap. Hardest part was the approach. Rest wasn't as hard/scary as I thought it would be.

Awesome Man, CONGRATS !

It is a very cool feeling, isn't it ?

mtbr member

Congrats dsittman- I remember reading you talking about working up to this for a while. Must have been a huge win today to hit it!

I love bike!
    Thx Tbone n CB

I've been pretty confident with my skillz but just couldn't get over that mental hump. It was definately one of those milestones that I will never forget. I remember a few years ago thinking that I would never even attempt the waterfall. To be honest I remember probably 10 years ago before I started biking and was hiking Nat'l that I thought biking down any of that looked absolutely insane. Guess I've come a long way since then

Thx for the inspiration with this thread CB. I know doesn't seem like a lot but it really got my mental wheels turnin in a good way

oooh, shiny...

You totally ROCKED the waterfall today. And mad props for doing it twice!

Next time we'll talk you into riding the spine.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    dsitt yeah first time I had to do it 4 times in a row to make sure it was not a fluke. Felt the same way as you-congrats, it is just such a mind trip isn't it????

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    been looking at armor... looked online in threads as well as reviews on this site but would like to hear what people here would recommend. Thanks in advance. Just looking for knee/shin and elbow snd msybe elbow/forearm right now. Hevent looked into chest protectors yet.

I love bike!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry-daddy
    Next time we'll talk you into riding the spine.
    Now that might take some serious convincing

Seriously tho...that does look like the smoothest/flowiest line...just looks scary. Maybe if you didn't go so fast I might be able to watch you do it sometime

parenting for gnarness
    Now that might take some serious convincing

Seriously tho...that does look like the smoothest/flowiest line...just looks scary. Maybe if you didn't go so fast I might be able to watch you do it sometime
    here's a trick that helped me on the Spine - drop a line of water along the line you want to ride. just follow the water line down. those first few times, its easy to get your approach wrong and end up in the wrong place. then just look at what is there and not at what isnt

mtbr member
    Close your eyes.
    Let off the brakes.
    It will all work itself out in the end.

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    Close your eyes.
    Let off the brakes.
    It will all work itself out in the end.
    Pretty much how I ride everything!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sixsixtysix
    Pretty much how I ride everything!
    I tried opening my eyes once and what happened? karpiel cartwheel to the bottom.

mtbr member
    It's a pretty cool feeling to conquer anything that's been eating at you for a while. Congrats to anyone in this thread that crossed this off your list.

For me, it's best if I just hit stuff in rhythm and not stop to look at it. I get too psyched up when I do that. If I see something that sketches me out on a ride, I get a good look, and then note it for next time so I hit it then. Or, I follow someone who has done it. I have done more stuff on the Wed am shuttle runs following someone than I would prob do by myself.

I started by rolling the spine/sliding off the side of it several times about a year ago. I've been doing the left line lately, and that one is more scary to me, but it's less tech since it's a straight shot. I have scared myself on it by hanging my front wheel a little when I came into it a little slow.

ROB-0
    May 2010
    im new to az were is this trail and who wants to go with me
    live to ride ride to live!!!!

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by robo4130
    im new to az were is this trail and who wants to go with me
    See any South Mountain trail map and it's call National. We'll be riding up it tomorrow at 6am..............Drew

ROB-0
    May 2010
    well drew i would love to go but all i have is my hardtail . the downhill bike will be here like Saturday i had to ship it here cause i had no room but will you take a raincheck?

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by robo4130
    well drew i would love to go but all i have is my hardtail . the downhill bike will be here like Saturday i had to ship it here cause i had no room but will you take a raincheck?
    For sure Been riding wed-fri in the early am. send me a PM when your bike comes........Drew

Pivotal figure
    You don't need a DH rig to ride that line, I've seen it done on full rigid 29er's. Just gotta be smooth, maybe roll some bigger tires
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

ROB-0
    May 2010
    in my opinion 29ers are a fad but maybe not i just don't like the big tires looks funny i will stick to my dh rig

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Scary ? Hell yes.

Cenobite, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you've only been riding about a year-ish? I sorta hate you right now!

I believe I started the last "Waterfall First Timer Tips" thread on MTBR a few months ago, and I still haven't gotten the stones to do it.

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by crispy
    Cenobite, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you've only been riding about a year-ish? I sorta hate you right now!

I believe I started the last "Waterfall First Timer Tips" thread on MTBR a few months ago, and I still haven't gotten the stones to do it.
    Almost 2 years now !

When you finally get the nerve to do the waterfall, you will be kicking yourself in the butt for being intimidated by it for so long. The mind holds the body back from soo much.

ROB-0
    May 2010
    well my bike is here finally fed ex messed it up but i fixed it up as good as i could till i get my insurance claim for the busted stuff when can we go ride but its gonna be like 200F ....um...like forever so mornings?i really wanna go to south mountain baaaaad it looks fun

mtbr member
    Is there a snipper line just off to the south of the water fall, some of you locals call Niagra Falls? I rode that a few years back was a bit tricky. Nice work on the water fall section guys!
    My bike takes me places school never could!

mtbr member
    Good job on clearing the waterfall!

I've been riding up to and past the waterfall for a couple years now, only been to it about a dozen times though. But I have a track record of 100% for chickening out on it! I even chickened out as recently as this saturday. Walking the lines it seems like it should be so easy if you hit it right. I rode the top piece down to the flat, took the rut on the right instead of spine. But I just couldn't get myself to ride the small ledge to get down the middle section. Maybe some pads would help with my confidence, definitely a mind game on this one!

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom93R1
    Good job on clearing the waterfall!

I've been riding up to and past the waterfall for a couple years now, only been to it about a dozen times though. But I have a track record of 100% for chickening out on it! I even chickened out as recently as this saturday. Walking the lines it seems like it should be so easy if you hit it right. I rode the top piece down to the flat, took the rut on the right instead of spine. But I just couldn't get myself to ride the small ledge to get down the middle section. Maybe some pads would help with my confidence, definitely a mind game on this one!
    Definetely get some armor. You won't need it but it will do wonders for your confidence.

mtbr member
    Since the purchase of my Reign X I have been collecting armor, and it does help with the confidence. I hit some stuff on National this weekend that I chickened out on, so I gave in and purchased a Full Face helmet. Getting closer to attempting the Waterfall. I was hiking up it and a few hikers were joking that they were going to start throwing rocks at me unless I got back on my bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I too just conquered the waterfall today. I've hiked up and down it maybe 2 or 3 times and i've ridden up to it maybe a half dozen. So I figured I might as well just give it a go. I have to admit I was a bit nervous dropping, but looking back on the feature, it is all in your mind.

I took the same line (riders right going down the waterfall) all 3 times. The 1st attempt started terrible as I didn't come in at a good angle and I stopped myself. The second time I cleaned it as well as a 3rd time. A buddy whipped out the camera and here is what it looks like:

from Chris Ramey on Vimeo.

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by cramey
    I too just conquered the waterfall today. I've hiked up and down it maybe 2 or 3 times and i've ridden up to it maybe a half dozen. So I figured I might as well just give it a go. I have to admit I was a bit nervous dropping, but looking back on the feature, it is all in your mind.

I took the same line (riders right going down the waterfall) all 3 times. The 1st attempt started terrible as I didn't come in at a good angle and I stopped myself. The second time I cleaned it as well as a 3rd time. A buddy whipped out the camera and here is what it looks like:

from Chris Ramey on Vimeo.

Nice work man!!!! Congrats!!!.........Drew

"No Clue Crew"
    Congrats ! That is awesome.
    Cool Video. I am sooo glad that no one was recording my first trip down because when I cleaned it, I am sure I gave out some kind of dorky victory yell that I am glad was not digitally eternalized !

Occidental Tourist
    Don't think I've ridden it since Yuri's Folley but some armor and fresh legs and I can check it off again. Have to go try the other lines now.
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for the props Cenobite/Grave9. I'm definitely glad I tried it. Going to have to start branching out and trying 24th Street and Geronimo.

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by cramey
    Thanks for the props Cenobite/Grave9. I'm definitely glad I tried it. Going to have to start branching out and trying 24th Street and Geronimo.
    Now you're talking .......Drew

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Well I have to bring up an old thread.... I went out with the shuttle guys and gal for some Wednesday morning runs. It was my first time to SOMO and was pretty intimidated with all these DH rigs compared my 5" bike. The guys were awesome! I rode towers to 46th on national, mormon, javalina(im sure there were others) twice. First time I rode top part of waterfall, walked the middle and rode the last. Watched a few take the left route and yeah.... no thanks! I have to say the pics and videos do not do it justice. The second time I sat there and contemplated on going down and had dang near convinced myself not to( all the talk had made me a bit skittish) but later drop bombed the spine and it looked way too easy.... then two others rode the spine right behind him...... then I "had" to give it a shot so I rode the spine down and my feet slipped off right after the very last rock but I made it down it! It is alot easier than it appears but still pretty sketchy. And yes ARMOR is a huge confidence builder.... then we hit geronimo and man were my arms tired... but great day and lots of fun!

"No Clue Crew"
    Good job on the spine ! That's next on my list. I really wish I could hit the wednesday am shuttle sometime.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    it was really fun. I knew if I didnt do it right away I would have talked myself out of it for quite some time and end up not doing it at all.

Members who have read this thread: 0