Hotel Living- Mtbr.com

Thread: Hotel Living

mtbr member

Hotel Living

My job requires that I travel on a weekly basis. I basically live in a hotel Monday through Friday, returning home on the weekend for a "booty call" with my wife. She hates it when I say that. Anyway I need help with my training.

My conditioning has progressively become worse since I begun working this job 2 years ago. I'm limited to the exercise machines owned by the hotel and I do not have access to a gym membership. The machines in the hotel exercise room typically consist of a treadmill and recumbent exercise bike. On a rare occasion the hotel will include free weights.

I've looked at multiple exercise plans for travelers and most of the plans call for equipment that I do not have access to on a weekly basis. Does anyone have any suggestions or point me in the direction of a website that offers practical exercise tips for business travelers?

As far as joining a gym, no can do. I travel across the US, one week in Portland, the next in San Antonio, and then Reading PA, so finding a gym with clubs near all of my work locations is challenging.

Thanks for any advice

Senor Slacker.

parenting for gnarness
    yoga and calisthenics can supplement your workout and require no equipment. I've never been into bands but they would be easy to pack. Running and swimming are also effectively gearless ways to train.

I would not do well with your work-schedule; expense accounts would make me huge and full of eggrolls and sushi.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    Not to mention all of the great beer to be found throughout this great land. I have spent the last year sampling some of the greatest microbrews our country has to offer. Just a horrible job, but someone has to do it. I now restrict my drinking to 2 beers a week. Just enough to sample the local microbrew, but not enough to throw me off my game.

By the way, Four Peaks Brewery is in my opinion one of the best brew pubs in this country. As stated, I have enjoyed a large sampling of the brew pubs this country has to offer and I haven't seen one that totally blows me away that Four Peaks does.

Damn, I just hijacked my own thread. Is that possible?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I just returned from inhaling a couple Kiltlifters at 4 Peaks in Scottsdale.

My answer to your question is simple: Run. It's hard, it sucks, but your fitness level will thank you.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorSlacker

Damn, I just hijacked my own thread. Is that possible?
    it is, and you did.

4 Peaks in Tempe is prolly my favorite spot in the Valley - great consistent beer, nice porch, ambience, and I always see people I know.

A few other favs from my travels:
    Pennsylvania Brewery in Pittsburgh
    Buckhorn Saloon in Boonville, CA (for Anderson Valley Brewing Co)
    Weeping Radish, Manteo, NC

mtbr member
    I travelled for about 7 years and found it always a challenge to get a good enough work out. I was fortunate to have the occasion "bench time", and always took advantage of rigourous training during that period. While on the road I would try to eat well (diet pretty much), and do whatever cardio I could at the hotel. If they had an exercise bike and an ellipical, I would do 20-30 minutes on each while watching whatever game was on ESPN.

Its tough. I found that a strict diet (grocery store instead of restaurants) was very key. I never gave up beer...but probably should have. If you start with a good base, you can maintain on the road...but its tough to get back into shape. Good luck.
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    If you think Four Peaks is great, try Papago Brewing (papagobrewing.com)

Ever think of getting a folding bike and a travel case? Easily checked baggage, and you'll always have a bike to ride.

Sup?

iPod and workout mixes, Nike + and being Creative

running is about it.. get an iPod and put a few 30min workouts from the iTunes store on it.
    Go a bit further and spring for the Nike+ deal it gives you some motor-va-shun when you run.

the exception being this past year with my weekly trips to San Diego where I had a coworker
    kind enough to bring down his spare Turner (thanks Superstock!)

we had Thursday am. 'meetings' from 6:30 to about 9:30 every week.. no joking,
    had to put it in my outlook calendar to keep other yahoo's from trying to schedule crap
    all over my weekly ride time!

the not eating/diet thing is key, it's hard, but if you're there and throwing yourself into work, not
    that difficult. I found that eating a big breakfast helped, kept me from even doing lunch, and by the
    time I got back to the hotel, I was too drained to want to deal with going and finding dinner.

Lather, rinse, repeat... I have to workout in the mornings or it doesnt get done..

I find that I get mentally wiped on these trips, makes working out difficult. Seems like you
    work harder when on the road (at least I do!) but please dont tell my employer that

Didnt really gain any weight over the course of this past year due to the travel, but havent lost any either.

Planning on doing the Mt. Lemmon road ride again in a month with another friend from
    Boston,

must ride more hills.., must lose weight now!

All the airport time really blows.. I figured at least 4-6 hours per week burned in transit
    time (Phx 2 SD) It's worse if you have to go somewhere more far-flung.

Ob: Beer Ref.. Karl Strauss in San Diego (across from the Marriott Courtyard) Shaun
    (superstock) and I were a fixture there on Wed. nights.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    This may be anathema on mtbr, but have you considered road miles? Something like a Bike Friday could let you get ride time in during the week and won't be too much hassle to haul along with you while you're traveling.

I think Monkey Bar Gym has an emphasis on minimal-equipment travel-friendly workouts:
    monkeybargym.com

I am Walt
    Run outside. All you need are running shoes and gear, including cold/cool weather stuff depending on where you are. Single best thing you can do while traveling to stay in shape.

Work in sit-ups and push-ups in your room, and whatever machines the hotel might have.

I travel alot, and belong to Bally's, so I also do a club locator for the city I'm in and hit up a gym for serious lifting if I can. If there are no Bally's, I will pay $10-15 to work out a 24-hour Fitness or Gold's or whatever is convenient.

Bottom line - it takes alot of planning and commitment to maintain your fitness while traveling alot.
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    My job requires that I travel on a weekly basis. I basically live in a hotel Monday through Friday, returning home on the weekend for a "booty call" with my wife. She hates it when I say that. Anyway I need help with my training.

My conditioning has progressively become worse since I begun working this job 2 years ago. I'm limited to the exercise machines owned by the hotel and I do not have access to a gym membership. The machines in the hotel exercise room typically consist of a treadmill and recumbent exercise bike. On a rare occasion the hotel will include free weights.

I've looked at multiple exercise plans for travelers and most of the plans call for equipment that I do not have access to on a weekly basis. Does anyone have any suggestions or point me in the direction of a website that offers practical exercise tips for business travelers?

As far as joining a gym, no can do. I travel across the US, one week in Portland, the next in San Antonio, and then Reading PA, so finding a gym with clubs near all of my work locations is challenging.

Thanks for any advice

Senor Slacker.
    Take up jogging.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Seņor Slacker,
    I don't know about websites on fitness for business travelers, but I've observed professional motor sport racers who travel many thousands of miles, never hardly see home, but somehow stay fit and sane through their lifestyle. The adage of "do you ride/live to work, or work to ride/live?" come into play with the person who is stationary challenged as you seem to be.
    Carry your toys with you if you can, but if not, go beyond the hotel fitness model as your way to staying in shape. You have the opportunity to have a riding partner or two in every city you conduct your business. Search the riding clubs, the bike shops for rental bikes that you can use. This site seems pretty good in connecting riders and rides. The key is consistency in showing up in the same place at the same time. Sooner or later if you advertise enough, you will have a ride.
    If you don't have time to go that route, then rent a bike and hire a "guide" to join you. I bet that if you wrote something to the effect of " Mtb junkie will pay $150 for someone in Portland, OR to provide bike and route finding for 3 hour ride on Sept 11th." you would be on your way to fitness training bliss. Then do the same thing in Texas and PA.

mtbr member
    Another question. How do you avoid shin splits when running. I have tried running in the past, but usually end up with sore shins after a couple of weeks.

parenting for gnarness
    Another question. How do you avoid shin splits when running. I have tried running in the past, but usually end up with sore shins after a couple of weeks.
    I had shin splints about 20 years ago when I first started playing Ultimate. for me, switching to running shoes that had higher arch support used the shin muscles just a little differently and I was never bothered by them again.

other "remedies" i heard were to do toe curls, lift buckets of rocks with your toes, and similar exercises that work those muscles. everyone's foot is different. Getting good running shoe advice from a proper running store definitely is worth it to find out how you pronate and what kind of arch support you need. My wife does marathons and its been very useful to her - once she learned what kind of support she liked, she's been able to shop for herself online. So paying the premium at a running store once was worth it for her. I know there is one on Mill in Tempe really close to (wait for it...) 4 Peaks.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Get fitted for good running shoes. Take a pair of your current shoes to a running specialty store to assist them in fitting you properly for your arch/pronation/etc.
    d

Members who have read this thread: 0