Holbert Initiation (Pics)- Mtbr.com
    MTBR Mafia

Holbert Initiation (Pics)

Well i was riding solo today and was panning on hiking up telegraph, riding the road till the parking lot and taking national back down towards telegraph.

While on the road, i see the shortbus coming down (it shuttles Dh guys on sundays, forgot the dudes name) so i figured i would try to catch them going down holbert. What i forgot was i still had a mile of road to ride. so i get to the trailhead and i see no one. well what the hell might as well do it anyway.

The trail makes telegraph ( i ride a few times a week) look easy. its way rockier but still has the ledges. and the consequences of falling are huge. I was having a blast until i flipped over the bars, luckily the bike was OK but my shoulder kind or hurt.

I finished holbert then realized i had no where to go so i hiked back up starting at 1:00. Wow did it get really hot. I had to stop a few times just to regain full consciousness.

So to wrap things up, Holbert is awesome and i will definatley be riding again but it caught me off guard.
    Oh it also revealed some flaws in my suspension tuning which didnt come out in any other trails.

Sweet trail though. Next time i will wear a shirt and pads though

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/779690/
    All Mountain was so 2005

BRILLIANT!
    Ohh... to be young again!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by cdub
    Well i was riding solo today and was panning on hiking up telegraph, riding the road till the parking lot and taking national back down towards telegraph.

While on the road, i see the shortbus coming down (it shuttles Dh guys on sundays, forgot the dudes name) so i figured i would try to catch them going down holbert. What i forgot was i still had a mile of road to ride. so i get to the trailhead and i see no one. well what the hell might as well do it anyway.

The trail makes telegraph ( i ride a few times a week) look easy. its way rockier but still has the ledges. and the consequences of falling are huge. I was having a blast until i flipped over the bars, luckily the bike was OK but my shoulder kind or hurt.

I finished holbert then realized i had no where to go so i hiked back up starting at 1:00. Wow did it get really hot. I had to stop a few times just to regain full consciousness.

So to wrap things up, Holbert is awesome and i will definatley be riding again but it caught me off guard.
    Oh it also revealed some flaws in my suspension tuning which didnt come out in any other trails.

Sweet trail though. Next time i will wear a shirt and pads though

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/779690/
    The trail starts again just down the road from where it comes out, from there it goes over towards a ramada thingie, and then on a doubletrack (stay left) to a parking lot that is part of SoMo, follow the road in and you end up back on the SoMo road that they use for shuttling.

If you want to run holbert fast, you have to use minimal rebound, or the rear end will just feel like a board hammering your a$$. That and minimal compression damping. THe faster you go, the less damping you need, and with all those rocks the suspension has to be able to react.

I like holbert a lot, it's probably my fav trail on the mountain. Geronimo (sex offender) is probably my 2nd, due to how much flow it has, but it's less challenging. 24th street just beats you up on a big heavy long travel bike, but it's still a great trail.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

MTBR Mafia
    Ya i found the ramada and the drops at holbert. all really cool btw.

Thanks for the tip on suspension.thats almost exactly what i concluded today. now just to find a ride back up...
    All Mountain was so 2005

Members who have read this thread: 0