Are hitch mount racks legal in AZ..?- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    banned

Are hitch mount racks legal in AZ..?

Looking to buy a thule hitch rack for my truck. Are they legal to use even if your bike blocks your plate?

Thanks!

AZ
    banned
    Plate cannot be obstructed , must be in plain view .

Shift less, Pedal more.
    I've used mine all over AZ. I think it's nice to have the bikes block the plate because of the fricken lame ass speed cameras.

I have even been pulled over with a bike on the hitch. The cop didn't mention anything about it covering the plate. Still got the ticket for using public property to avoid a traffic control device.

Screw RedFlex!!!!!!
    I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I'm not......Dolemite.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdss
    I've used mine all over AZ. I think it's nice to have the bikes block the plate because of the fricken lame ass speed cameras.

I have even been pulled over with a bike on the hitch. The cop didn't mention anything about it covering the plate. Still got the ticket for using public property to avoid a traffic control device.

Screw RedFlex!!!!!!

Thanks,

I'm not really looking to stick it to the man on this one. I just want to know If its legal to have your Arizona plate blocked by a thule hitch mount rack. Sounds like I will just use my old roof rack.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by JrockFeltaz
    Thanks,

I'm not really looking to stick it to the man on this one. I just want to know If its legal to have your Arizona plate blocked by a thule hitch mount rack. Sounds like I will just use my old roof rack.
    roof racks suck for bikes with thru-axle forks

I think I need to Upgrade
    If you think about it, trailers especialy 5th wheels block the license plate....

Downhill Spokesmodel
    Quote Originally Posted by AzSpeedfreek
    If you think about it, trailers especialy 5th wheels block the license plate....
    Yeah, but trailers are also required to have license plates.
    Now I DRIVE the short bus!!

Help increase ShortBus' rep

mtbr member
    If you ever did get pulled over, you would probably get warned for it, rather than a ticket.
    I used a Thule hitch rack in Tucson, but mostly up and down Reddington road, where there weren't usually cops around.
    Even a trailer hitch ball can be called an obstruction (happened to my dad but he only got a warning). Most cops don't harrass you for that though.

mtbr member

I'm not really looking to stick it to the man on this one..
    Likely tired out from all that boasting (in another thread) about others' wives no doubt. Class-act.

Quote Originally Posted by ShortBusJames
    Yeah, but trailers are also required to have license plates.

True, but are the cameras timed to account for the length of the trailer? How about the many different mounting locations for the plates on the many different trailers?

Steel is Real
    Feb 2008
    ...oops, dup post
    "America is all about speed... Hot, nasty, badass speed!!!"
    -Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936

Just Joshin' ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by AzSpeedfreek
    I thought about that too when they passed that law. I guess since the fifth wheel has to have a tag that counts as your license plate?

There is no specific law stating that you cannot use a hitch mount rack. There is a law stating you cannot obstruct the view of your license plate. So you can use a hitch mount as long as your license plate is not obstructed.

So the implications of this are so:

If you do put a hitch rack on your car and it or your bikes are obscuring the view of your licence plate, you could get a ticket. Most of the time you would probably get away with it. I never had any problems with my Thule T2 on my Jeep. If a cop is feeling like a dick or if you are being a jerk to a police officer, hello ticket.

Or, you find some device that allows you to move your plates onto the rack so that it cannot be obstructed. Then you can be a jerk all you want and it doesn't matter if the cop is feeling like a richard head.
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

Steel is Real
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Plate cannot be obstructed , must be in plain view .
    Yep, that's what the new law says... but I think it comes down to who pulls you over and how big of a chode smoker he/she is (not to mention whatever you were doing to get your arse pulled over in the first place). I know they were going ballistic with this when they first put that law in place, even handing out tickets to people with handicap carts and stuff, but I think they have relaxed a bit now.

I use mine when I take friends along or on distance trips, and I haven't had any problems yet (knocking on wood).
    "America is all about speed... Hot, nasty, badass speed!!!"
    -Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936

EDR
    I've been pulled over pulling a trailer with no trailer plate........got a warning. I had a hitch mount rack for a year. Never got pulled over for it and I never made the plate visible. YMMV of course. Just depends on how the cop feels that day I guess.

You could always just get a second plate and mount it with wire or whatever on the rack if you plan to use it everyday, or plan to leave the rack on all the time.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Thanks,

Thing is, it's illegal to do this in most places and it's been this way for a long time. The law that recently passed has nothing to do with this really, it was already illegal to block your plate with a rack. The new law made it illegal to cover up the state and block that part of it. I've never gotten hassled about mine (but I have Vet plates, which may help), and it did block the speed camera once. Otherwise, it's well worth it to have the hitch rack and with a T2, I just take it off when I'm not using it and keep it close to my car in the garage. Easy to put on and off.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have a hitch rack on my FJ and one on my wife's car going on 4 years. I haven't had any problems, but my wife had a cop pull up next to her at a stoplight and tell her that although it is NOT illegal, he "recommended" she remove it when not carrying bikes.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl

dunno, the big mouth thule trays are pretty nice IMHO.

parenting for gnarness
    this was discussed a while back, and I've called and asked. The law is as others have said - you can not block your plate. And as others have said, its not likely to be enforced and it has blocked cameras. But it can be a reason to get pulled if you are otherwise drawing attention to yourself.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    rockshox maxle

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by powriderkevin
    I have a hitch rack on my FJ and one on my wife's car going on 4 years. I haven't had any problems, but my wife had a cop pull up next to her at a stoplight and tell her that although it is NOT illegal, he "recommended" she remove it when not carrying bikes.
    Cops don't know all of the laws all of the time, but if you look in the statutes I'm sure you'll find it's illegal to block your plate.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

I lean like a cholo!

I got a ticket recently

I got a ticket recently from a rack obscuring the license plate. I thought the cop was rather cool about it, since he let me off for 89 in a 75 and he only issued me a non-moving citation. Very cool cop.
    ...and I used my strength to rip my blouse...

Disgruntled Peccary
    That is cool, very cool actually. The last equipment ticket I got was on top of the speeding ticket. As I recall, that ticket caused me to repair my equipment and go get the ticket signed off by a police officer. What was the ticket for the rack?
    mike

AZ
    banned
    You might consider bolting a magnet to your licence plate so it can be attached in plain view when using the rack .

I lean like a cholo!
    Quote Originally Posted by dysfunction
    That is cool, very cool actually. The last equipment ticket I got was on top of the speeding ticket. As I recall, that ticket caused me to repair my equipment and go get the ticket signed off by a police officer. What was the ticket for the rack?
    It was for an "obscured license plate" cost me $80, but that was a bargain compared to the speeding citation I could have got. The rack blocked the view of the plate.
    ...and I used my strength to rip my blouse...

mtbr member
    I've had a Yakima hitch rack on my car the past 4 months and not a peep (knock on wood). Technicaly by law you can't obstruct your plate but if the rack is empty, the plate is technically not obstructed from a view off center a few degrees.

How does the law define obstructed? Is obstructed defined as the view directly behind the vehicle?

Downhill Spokesmodel
    If you are planning on moving your plate to your rack, be aware that the plate must be illuminated at night.
    Now I DRIVE the short bus!!

Help increase ShortBus' rep

Occidental Tourist
    Could you just get a full size color copy of your plate, laminate it and zip tie it to the rack for day use and not get a ticket?
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by YuriB
    Could you just get a full size color copy of your plate, laminate it and zip tie it to the rack for day use and not get a ticket?

That's not a bad idea. I'm going to call the DMV and find out if that's acceptable. I'm more concerned if soley having your plate obstructed is grounds for getting pulled over if you are obeying speed limits etc.

mtbr member
    I'm more concerned if soley having your plate obstructed is grounds for getting pulled over if you are obeying speed limits etc.
    Getting pulled over with a stash o' weed could be a hassle for someone like you I suppose. Pesky laws.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by az1jeff
    Getting pulled over with a stash o' weed could be a hassle for someone like you I suppose. Pesky laws.
    Yeah, wouldn't it be great if we all paid for him to sit in prison for the next 10 years.

I'm with stupid -------->
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tmarkos
    Yeah, wouldn't it be great if we all paid for him to sit in prison for the next 10 years.
    I think Jeff has a man crush on him and is obsessed with Mary Jane.... maybe they should have a threesome?

banned
    Holly fricking butthurt batman! Are you going to follow me around like a butthurt little puppy dog In every single thread? I at least had enough respectful to call out your classy wife in the recycle bin. If an officer of the law were to pull me over he would never suspect that I had any connection with the devil weed. I have never had a problem with the law when I have been pulled over for any reason and I don't even smoke in the car on
    long road trips. Your right, it is a pesky law, but as a responsible taxpaying citizen I know how to choose my battles and right now my fat, lazy, unemployed, huskeroo ass can barley afford a quarter pounder with cheese, let alone a 80.00 ticket for obstructing my plate.

I did call the DMV and was informed that is illegal to block your plate and you can be cited soley for that offense. They did say however it is up to the discression of the officer.

mtbr member
    I at least had enough respectful to call out your classy wife in the recycle bin. If an officer of the law were to pull me over he would never suspect that I had any connection with the devil weed. I have never had a problem with the law when I have been pulled over for any reason and I don't even smoke in the car on
    long road trips. Your right, it is a pesky law, but as a responsible taxpaying citizen I know how to choose my battles and right now my fat, lazy, unemployed, huskeroo ass can barley afford a quarter pounder with cheese, let alone a 80.00 ticket for obstructing my plate.
    Um, nope. You and your lack of class made that comment about someone's wife in here PRIOR to it getting dumped. But nice try. Sure, I'll call someone out for stepping across that line for as long as I or the board mod's see fit. Follow you? Call it whatever you like. It is deserved.

It is reassuring to know that you've honed your skills at concealing illegal drugs while operating a motor vehicle.

Go ahead. .

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Ok back on topic you two. I haven't had an issue with my rack, I think the only time a cop would notice is if they were getting behind you to pull you over for something else.

banned
    Um, nope. You and your lack of class made that comment about someone's wife in here PRIOR to it getting dumped. But nice try. Sure, I'll call someone out for stepping across that line for as long as I or the board mod's see fit. Follow you? Call it whatever you like. It is deserved.
    It is reassuring to know that you've honed your skills at concealing illegal drugs while operating a motor vehicle.

Go ahead. .
    First of all you can isult my wife, girlfriend, boyfriend, dog, cat and drug smugling abilities all you want. I don't take offense to words written on the innerwebz and would gladly share a ride, shuttle, beer and a bong rip with any of you.

mtbr member
    First of all you can isult my wife, girlfriend, boyfriend, dog, cat and drug smugling abilities all you want. I don't take offense to words written on the innerwebz and would gladly share a ride, shuttle, beer and a bong rip with any of you.
    I try my best not to lower myself to insult others in real life or on BB's. But dissing your own country without any facts and making crude comments about others' wife will get you some deserved backlash. EVERYTIME. That said, and I'll repeat myself, I'd watch what I'd say about someone's wife, even on a simple BB. It's out of line. (I don't even have a wife by the way.)

jeff

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

I don't even have a wife by the way

I try my best not to lower myself to insult others in real life or on BB's. But dissing your own country without any facts and making crude comments about others' wife will get you some deserved backlash. EVERYTIME. That said, and I'll repeat myself, I'd watch what I'd say about someone's wife, even on a simple BB. It's out of line. (I don't even have a wife by the way.)

jeff
    Gee, never would have guessed. Stalking someone on an internet forum and no wife, maybe the two are related somehow?
    "What kind of bike? I don't know, I'm not a bike scientist."

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by G14it
    Ok back on topic you two. I haven't had an issue with my rack, I think the only time a cop would notice is if they were getting behind you to pull you over for something else.

No sense in tempting fate , if you dont want to be pulled over dont give them carte blanche to do it .

banned

jeff
    I think our coountry has done some pretty horrific acts. But killing is ok to protect our goals and interest's, but when someone lashes out at us it terrorism. If you can't see that our way of life negativley affects other cultures of the world and our consumer habbits are the leading cause of polution and destruction, then maybe you should check your own convictions instead throwing out the old you don't support our country crap.

Our acts of Eco - Terrorism that have been created by our country are grounds enough to warrant an attack by other countries who are feed up with our disrespect and rappage of resources.

And I am not a Hippie.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    No sense in tempting fate , if you dont want to be pulled over dont give them carte blanche to do it .
    well, yes and no. If you figure that eventually a traffic cam will get you, or don't want to be easy meat for when police scan license plates looking into your records...

sprocket
    I think our coountry has done some pretty horrific acts. But killing is ok to protect our goals and interest's, but when someone lashes out at us it terrorism. If you can't see that our way of life negativley affects other cultures of the world and our consumer habbits are the leading cause of polution and destruction, then maybe you should check your own convictions instead throwing out the old you don't support our country crap.

Our acts of Eco - Terrorism that have been created by our country are grounds enough to warrant an attack by other countries who are feed up with our disrespect and rappage of resources.

And I am not a Hippie.
    But you are human. That has to count for something.

mtbr member
    I think most cops are pigs.

sprocket
    I think most cops are pigs.
    and so are hikers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kapaso
    Gee, never would have guessed. Stalking someone on an internet forum and no wife, maybe the two are related somehow?
    First you must show me how, and feel free to use my own words and posting sequence if you like, that defending the country I love and for calling out someone for crossing the line about making crude comments about someone's wife is "stalking" as you put it. Then, you must show us how it is related "somehow" to not having a wife. .

It's true I do not have a wife, but I still felt it was the right thing to do to push back on that kind of crap. That's just me. But thanks for slamming me for it.

GO. .

sprocket
    First you must show me how, and feel free to use my own words and posting sequence if you like, that defending the country I love and for calling out someone for crossing the line about making crude comments about someone's wife is "stalking" as you put it. Then, you must show us how it is related "somehow" to not having a wife. .

It's true I do not have a wife, but I still felt it was the right thing to do to push back on that kind of crap. That's just me. But thanks for slamming me for it.

GO. .
    exactly what country are you referring to?

banned

GO. .

If you put away the toys and all the neato things with blinking lights you will see no one person, race or culture is superior. We are all part of the same parasite that is killing our host. To view humanity as we know it as being intelligent, powerful and sucesfull is one of the most arrogant things I have ever seen. That doesn't mean some beautiful things exist in this chaos, but we really need to get over ourselves as being "it"

sprocket
    If you put away the toys and all the neato things with blinking lights you will see no one person, race or culture is superior. We are all part of the same parasite that is killing our host. To view humanity as we know it as being intelligent, powerful and sucesfull is one of the most arrogant things I have ever seen. That doesn't mean some beautiful things exist in this chaos, but we really need to get over ourselves as being "it"
    Unfortunately, it is a long road till that day. The 'me' ideals of the US are pretty hard to get over for some.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly
    Unfortunately, it is a long road till that day. The 'me' ideals of the US are pretty hard to get over for some.
    I suggest some DMT and a trip down the 'ole rabbit hole.

Elitest thrill junkie
    That's not a bad idea. I'm going to call the DMV and find out if that's acceptable. I'm more concerned if soley having your plate obstructed is grounds for getting pulled over if you are obeying speed limits etc.
    I doubt it's acceptable, sounds like a good idea. I use a hitch rack for the convenience and the gas money it saves, but most places do have laws against blocking the plate, and the "unwritten" law is usually that you should remove it when not transporting bikes. I haven't had any problems either way, but I realize it could be grounds to pull me over. If I wanted to leave my T2 on all the time I could bolt my plate to the underside of the rack, then when it was folded up it would be visable, but like James said it needs to be illuminated at night. There are also laws against blocking your brake lights.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    This just in ... "Mountain Biker Smokes Weed"

Who knew?

mtbr member

Idea!

What amazes me is why some make statements to try to show themselves as elitist, independent thinker’s, progressives, revolutionaries, and just plain above it all coupled with an overwhelming flat-out hatred of the United States, would make their homes here (USA). Why? Use some of that "insight" and all that “knowledge” to relocate away from the USA? It’s a big world. Lots of option for such independent minded America haters. If, in your mind, this country is that bad, why stay? Seriously, I wouldn’t. Because there isn’t a better place that’s why. And because it’s much easier to stick around here and criticize, mock, and belittle your own country that‘s why.

Fragile - must be Italian
    I guess I don't understand the reason this question was even posed here.

If hitch racks are illegal, then there are thousands (if not tens of thousands) of people in this state who are breaking the law with their hitch racks. Even if they are illegal...who cares? What...should REI, Performance, Sportsmart, and every bike shop that sells the Thule T2 should be put out of business for selling contraband?

Here's a tip - a cop will NEVER pull you over for such a minor violation UNLESS he has due cause for some other "more profitable" violations to cite you for: excessive speeding, reckless driving, running a red light, etc. Stay within the rules of the road and you will never be hassled. And if you are hassled, you're just a d!ck who had it coming.

I've had a T2 hitch rack on my truck for months with nary an issue. I've even had many instances where a Highway Patrol car sat behind me at a red light and did nothing (I live right near one of their main stations).

Just sayin'...

Thx...Doug

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    . I've even had many instances where a Highway Patrol car sat behind me at a red light and did nothing (I live right near one of their main stations).

Just sayin'...

Thx...Doug
    Stop driving like a p*ssy!

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Stop driving like a p*ssy!
    ??

I have general disregard for most traffic laws (except red light running). I am definitely not the model driver (as many here will attest)...and even so...the cops leave me and my T2 rack alone.

Thx...Doug

Elitest thrill junkie
    ??

I have general disregard for most traffic laws (except red light running). I am definitely not the model driver (as many here will attest)...and even so...the cops leave me and my T2 rack alone.

Thx...Doug
    Who would want to rear-end into a T2? That thing is great for brake-checks!

banned

If hitch racks are illegal, then there are thousands (if not tens of thousands) of people in this state who are breaking the law with their hitch racks. Even if they are illegal...who cares? What...should REI, Performance, Sportsmart, and every bike shop that sells the Thule T2 should be put out of business for selling contraband?

Here's a tip - a cop will NEVER pull you over for such a minor violation UNLESS he has due cause for some other "more profitable" violations to cite you for: excessive speeding, reckless driving, running a red light, etc. Stay within the rules of the road and you will never be hassled. And if you are hassled, you're just a d!ck who had it coming.

I've had a T2 hitch rack on my truck for months with nary an issue. I've even had many instances where a Highway Patrol car sat behind me at a red light and did nothing (I live right near one of their main stations).

Just sayin'...

Thx...Doug
    didn't you read the thread. I need to know if Ill be puled over cause im smuggling illegal drugs

I was a simple question with a simple answer that got answered in the first 3 post's. It's pretty clear it's illegal to do so. Thats all I wanted to know for no other reason than I can't afford the ticket and AZ cops are knida known for doing what ever the hell they want depending on location and department.

banned

Just sayin'...

Thx...Doug
    didn't you read the thread. I need to know if Ill be puled over cause im smuggling illegal drugs

I was a simple question with a simple answer that got answered in the first 3 post's. It's pretty clear it's illegal to do so. Thats all I wanted to know for no other reason than I can't afford the ticket and AZ cops are knida known for doing what ever the hell they want depending on location and department.

I hope you don't use those double-turn lanes to pull into...or make any right turns without signaling...have anything sticking >1 foot out the back of your car without a red flag tied to it...or jaywalk...or any other little niggly illegal thing a cop can fault you for.

Seriously, you decided against buying a hitch rack because it is "illegal"? Wow...if that's the case...uh...wow. I am at a loss for words. In my wildest dreams I never thought a mountain biker would be so sensitive to traffic laws.

Thx...Doug

Elitest thrill junkie
    I hope you don't use those double-turn lanes to pull into...or make any right turns without signaling...have anything sticking >1 foot out the back of your car without a red flag tied to it...or jaywalk...or any other little niggly illegal thing a cop can fault you for.

Seriously, you decided against buying a hitch rack because it is "illegal"? Wow...if that's the case...uh...wow. I am at a loss for words. In my wildest dreams I never thought a mountain biker would be so sensitive to traffic laws.

Thx...Doug
    Hey, if the government says its bad for you, it's probably bad!

banned

Thx...Doug

Yes, that was my deciding factor in not buying a hitch rack. I can't understand people who don't use a signal. It's the safe and courteous thing to do and you should be cited for it.

This wasn't a joke. Obeying traffic laws while driving is one of my pet peeves.

mtbr member
    Well, I learned one important thing from this thread,
    Don't ever make fun of AZ1Jeff's imaginary wife!

mtbr member
    Well, I learned one important thing from this thread,
    Don't ever make fun of AZ1Jeff's imaginary wife!

mtbr member
    There are lots of good reasons to be concerned about the legality of your rack, even if the odds of a problem are low .
    If you like to crack a beer after your ride, smoke a little dope, have an outstanding parking ticket, have a problem with your car you don't have the money to fix, just have a thing about following rules, or just don't like the buzz kill of talking to a prick cop after a nice ride. Knowing the cops have a reason to bug you, even if its a stupid reason, is important to know.
    I think someone had a good question about the definition of obstruction though. If the rack blocks part of the plate from directly behind the car, but you can see that part of the plate just by moving a bit to the side, is that obstructed?
    Last edited by smilinsteve; 09-16-2009 at 07:54 PM.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Jrock: Clear, simple answer to your question. Yes, it is a traffic (ARS 28 code) violation to have your plate blocked/obstructed in any way. Period. End of story. Will you actually get stopped for it? Unlikely, but it is considered reasonable suspicion for a stop.

As for copying the plate, no. It's a violation of a different statute to have multiple plates on the vehicle.

Maybe you guys can stop slap-fighting now

mtbr member

And I am not a Hippie.
    I tried to see your side J, but that is the most effed up thing I have read on this forum. Justified attack on our country?
    Oh poor Mohammed doesn't like all the McDonalds wrappers laying around his mud shack, so I guess its ok if he kills your mom. Dumb a$$.

mtbr member
    What amazes me is why some make statements to try to show themselves as elitist, independent thinker’s, progressives, revolutionaries, and just plain above it all coupled with an overwhelming flat-out hatred of the United States, would make their homes here (USA). Why? Use some of that "insight" and all that “knowledge” to relocate away from the USA? It’s a big world. Lots of option for such independent minded America haters. If, in your mind, this country is that bad, why stay? Seriously, I wouldn’t. Because there isn’t a better place that’s why. And because it’s much easier to stick around here and criticize, mock, and belittle your own country that‘s why.
    Dude, not trying to knock you off your soapbox or perpetuate your anger or anything, but I think that what people are saying is that they don't like what has become of our government. I could be wrong, but most of these people probably love the United States itself.

"What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance."
    Thomas Jefferson
    3rd US president

That is all!
    It's only skin, it'll grow back!!

Save the drama for your mama!!!

Porkchop Sandwiches!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by SPIDERS
    Dude, not trying to knock you off your soapbox or perpetuate your anger or anything, but I think that what people are saying is that they don't like what has become of our government.
    Our government has become exactly what we've asked for, not only by our votes and voices, but also by our actions and way of life. Most people don't realize this, but they support lower gas prices, SUVs, increased population and building, cutting down forests, and the list goes on and on. You support these things not only by your votes, but also by your actions, same goes for the government and the policies that enable such things. Look at yourself and neighbors before blaming it all on the government.

mtbr member
    Our government has become exactly what we've asked for, not only by our votes and voices, but also by our actions and way of life. Most people don't realize this, but they support lower gas prices, SUVs, increased population and building, cutting down forests, and the list goes on and on. You support these things not only by your votes, but also by your actions, same goes for the government and the policies that enable such things. Look at yourself and neighbors before blaming it all on the government.
    I am gonna have to respectfully agree to disagree with you on this one. I am an active registered voter, yet I feel as though many liberties have been taken from me. The government uses tragedies as a platform to slowly strip away liberties one by one. I love the US though and hopefully one day my voting will help to change things.

I support the use of hitch mount racks!
    It's only skin, it'll grow back!!

Save the drama for your mama!!!

Porkchop Sandwiches!

mtbr member
    Most people wouldn't support these things if they knew the full story, or the potential consequences. I'm a fan of getting a mtn bike on the cheap, but that doesn't mean I'm a fan of someone stealing it from you, and selling it to me.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Most people wouldn't support these things if they knew the full story, or the potential consequences. I'm a fan of getting a mtn bike on the cheap, but that doesn't mean I'm a fan of someone stealing it from you, and selling it to me.
    True, but buy supporting the "cheapest" bike, you are supporting low wages and a myriad of other issues/problems. I know that's not the way you feel, but that action is going to have those consequences, so when thinking about the bigger perspective, is it ignorance? In any case, I think it still comes down to what our actions are asking for. I'm not directing this at you specifically, because I know you don't ride "the cheapest" bike and have that mentality, but at some point some of us do have that kind of mentality, and those actions have effects. I'm just saying that it's easy to shift the blame and try to have someone else solve our problems for us with no effect on our daily lives.

mtbr member
    True, but buy supporting the "cheapest" bike, you are supporting low wages and a myriad of other issues/problems. I know that's not the way you feel, but that action is going to have those consequences, so when thinking about the bigger perspective, is it ignorance? In any case, I think it still comes down to what our actions are asking for. I'm not directing this at you specifically, because I know you don't ride "the cheapest" bike and have that mentality, but at some point some of us do have that kind of mentality, and those actions have effects. I'm just saying that it's easy to shift the blame and try to have someone else solve our problems for us with no effect on our daily lives.
    No worries bro, I understand where you're coming from, and I agree with a lot of what you're saying. We all have to make a living. I don't hate this country, and to be honest, it's kind of a silly concept. I struggle to define the meaning of "patriotism".

Chunky Monkey

It took Me along Time To Chime In

So Jay,

Please explain your perfect world?

Thx,
    John
    Lurkers Unite! Never mind....

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by circusubet
    So Jay,

Please explain your perfect world?
    Southside Phoenix, in the Summer.

Southside Phoenix, in the Summer.
    OH!!

Chunky Monkey

Southside

Who would want to rear-end into a T2? That thing is great for brake-checks!

It sounds like you DO NOT drive on the Southside Phoenix, in the Summer.

Thx,
    John

mtbr member
    Looking to buy a thule hitch rack for my truck. Are they legal to use even if your bike blocks your plate?

Thanks!
    28-2354. License plates; attachment
    A. A person shall display the license plate or plates as follows:
    1. For a motor vehicle, motorcycle, trailer or semitrailer, on the rear.
    2. For a vehicle for which two license plates are issued, the vehicle owner shall display either of the following:
    (a) One plate on the rear.
    (b) One plate on the front and one plate on the rear.
    B. A person shall display all license plates as required by subsection A until their lawful use expires or is canceled or revoked. A person shall maintain each license plate so it is clearly legible and so that the name of this state at the top of the license plate is not obscured. A person shall securely fasten each license plate to the vehicle as follows:
    1. To prevent the plate from swinging.
    2. At a height of at least twelve inches from the ground to the bottom of the plate.
    3. In a position to be clearly visible.

Here's the relevant statute, recently revised.

The statute says that the license plate must be attached to the vehicle in such a manner as to be clearly visible. (From Where?). It is quite a logical leap to say that that bicycles on a rear rack violate this statute and I would guess that anyone could take a ticket written for a rear rack to court and win, given the time.

I doubt that anyone has been ticketed in Arizona for using a rear rack.
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

Chunky Monkey

Handicapped?

And what about wheel chair racks? Those darn handicapped people are always dis-obeying authority, rioting, dope smoking-smuggling, fascists, communists, bush loving, bible thumping gun lovers. The absolute dredge of society......

Thx,
    John

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by circusubet
    And what about wheel chair racks?
    Most of the one's I've seen have the vehicles license plate mounted to the rack.

mtbr member
    Since the revised statute is still vague, looks like you can either roll the dice (I have been using a hitch rack on my subaru since 2000, no issues) or do the "plate on your rack" mod seen in a recent post if you feel safer that way.

FWIW, I saw a Police SUV (the new Tahoes) driving down Washington with a hitch mounted bike rack and it's plate in it's normal location. Wish I would have taken a photo...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rideflatout
    FWIW, I saw a Police SUV (the new Tahoes) driving down Washington with a hitch mounted bike rack and it's plate in it's normal location. Wish I would have taken a photo...
    Yes that picture could get you out of a ticket some day!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by rideflatout
    Since the revised statute is still vague, looks like you can either roll the dice (I have been using a hitch rack on my subaru since 2000, no issues) or do the "plate on your rack" mod seen in a recent post if you feel safer that way.

I've seen quite a few cruisers with bike/racks attached, same thing.

Occidental Tourist
    ADOT Correspondence:
    Previous Correspondence:
    ADOT Response: Mr. B, unless you have been issued personalized plates, MVD only issues one plate per vehicle. If your bike rack obstructs your license plate, you may relocate your plate so that it is visible and meets the lighting requirements
    9/24/2009 8:57:41 AM
    Your Input: I want to use a rear bike hitch on my car but it would obscure my plate. Can I get another plate to attach to the rack? Or is there another preferred option?
    9/18/2009 7:59:39 PM
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by YuriB
    ADOT Correspondence:
    Previous Correspondence:
    ADOT Response: Mr. B, unless you have been issued personalized plates, MVD only issues one plate per vehicle. If your bike rack obstructs your license plate, you may relocate your plate so that it is visible and meets the lighting requirements
    9/24/2009 8:57:41 AM
    Your Input: I want to use a rear bike hitch on my car but it would obscure my plate. Can I get another plate to attach to the rack? Or is there another preferred option?
    9/18/2009 7:59:39 PM

6 days to tell you to go pound sand...

wonder what they tell the people with handicap hitches?

mtbr member
    So I started to look at a hitch bike rack as an option. It doesn't sound like a good option.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    So I started to look at a hitch bike rack as an option. It doesn't sound like a good option.
    Bart,
    It is a great option. I put many miles on mine and never an issue.

Are hitch mount racks legal in AZ..?-withbike.jpg

You can mostly see the plate. Since goes on and off with 1 bolt I take off when not in use.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Bart, just do it. A ton of people use them (including myself) and it's never been a problem unless some cop has some itching reason to use that as probable cause for a stop looking for something bigger.

My previous hitch rack was a Yakima that always obstructed my plates. My current hitch rack is a 1UP (tray style) so it no longer obstructs the plate unless my bikes are loaded on here.
    Shit happens...

all comes down to your risk tolerance.

Yes, it is technically illegal. However, if you look around, you'll see these racks EVERYWHERE. I'll bet that most of those folks (me included) have never been stopped or ticketed for it. It is something they would certainly get you for if you are driving like a dick, but you would never do that.

mtbr member
    Wow, nice thread resurrection! And one by JrockFeltaz! I think after being banned he morphed into TheMostRad.

No issues here with hitch racks either. I've used the Yakima Holdup, 1UPusa, and the Kuat Sherpa. One reason I like the Kuat is that it's only 26lb and easy to take on and off.

Meatbomb
    Don't drive through Scottsdale. The cops are like nazis. They pulled me over for a third brake light being out yesterday. I tried to thank him for bringing it to my attention when he copped a 'tude and wanted to search my truck. I told him to get a dog and a warrant or to stop detaining me over a brake light.

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Don't drive through Scottsdale. The cops are like nazis. They pulled me over for a third brake light being out yesterday. I tried to thank him for bringing it to my attention when he copped a 'tude and wanted to search my truck. I told him to get a dog and a warrant or to stop detaining me over a brake light.
    Bikes suck. Drive cars. Bikes should not be allowed on cars or roads.

mtbr member
    The only place I've heard of people getting pulled over for having a hitch mount rack is on Toll roads in Socal. The company that operates the toll roads (TCA) contracts the Highway patrol to police the roads and has it written into their contract that CHP is to pull over cars with hitch mount racks for obstructed plates. Apparently, it is a thing for people to use hitch mount bike racks to avoid paying tolls and fines which are levied based on photos of license plates taken by cameras mounted along the freeway when a vehicle passes without a transponder. So this is less about the law and more about a corporation losing profits. #winning! CHP generally won't pull you over for hitch mounted rack plate obstruction on public freeways.

slower than you
    Here in FLG, a friend of mine got pulled over near the YMCA recently and was cited because her hitch rack was obscuring her plate.
    Last edited by rockychrysler; 04-10-2016 at 08:53 PM.
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

sprocket
    That is because FLG is lame.

mtbr member
    Its illegal to obstruct your plate... always has been... The folks that make these hitch racks should have an option to display the plate legally .. but they don't... Not that hard to make your own plate display with light too... doesnt look cool but hey Im legal.. Are hitch mount racks legal in AZ..?-dscn0762.jpg

mtbr member
    Never have I even a hint of hassle.... 20+ years...
    Largest NorCal XC Race Series
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    http://www.UavTechReview.com
    Best in the West!

mtbr member
    2nd that Scottsdale warning. Got ticketed for "obscur-ifacation-ing" on their precious road...
    a real Dirkbag!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RajunCajun44 View Post
    Its illegal to obstruct your plate... always has been... The folks that make these hitch racks should have an option to display the plate legally .. but they don't... Not that hard to make your own plate display with light too... doesnt look cool but hey Im legal.. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0762.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	309.3 KB 
ID:	1063144
    Is that a permanent setup. What if you want to take the rack off?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post
    all comes down to your risk tolerance.

Yes, it is technically illegal. However, if you look around, you'll see these racks everywhere. I'll bet that most of those folks (me included) have never been stopped or ticketed for it. It is something they would certainly get you for if you are driving like a dick, but you would never do that.
    never

mtbr member
    Is that a permanent setup. What if you want to take the rack off?
    its permanent, if you take the rack off, you need to move the plate to the hatchback. it takes about 15 minutes.. but its a pain, dmv will not give you multiple plates.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    hitch racks for the loss
    over the truck bed rack for the win

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1