mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Hit by a car in the cross walk???

Hello all, I was hoping to get so info from anyone who has been in an accident\Hit by a car while riding around town. This happened to me a week ago and i"m looking for some info and possibly a Lawyer. I will keep any info private so if you feel more comfortable sending it through pm im ok with that.

Thank you.

Meatbomb
    Given the title of the thread I'll have to ask the question. Were you hit by a car while in a cross walk?

My other ride is your mom
    Contact the attorney, they will consult for free and advise you further. Don't talk to anyone to include insurance without the attorney. No one here will be able to resolve your issues.

Simple as that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    Contact the attorney, they will consult for free and advise you further. Don't talk to anyone to include insurance without the attorney.

Simple as that.
    What he said. Itíll likely be several years before you would actually receive a settlement so be patient. Keep receipts from any costs associated with the injury (Uber trips because you canít commute due to the injury etc). Let the lawyer handle it. Injury lawyers usually work on a commission.

Cycologist
    Check the laws in your state on use of a crosswalk, often if you are using a crosswalk, you have to walk the bike. If you were riding in the road and just crossing over the crosswalk, different story. I am not a lawyer. You posted in Arizona, do you just need local people? You might do better in the commuter thread if not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

Rent this space for $
    Crosswalks are the most dangerous place to be as a pedestrian. Proven. I have witnessed FOUR fatalities between pedestrians and motor vehicles IN CROSSWALKS! If you were in a crosswalk while riding a bike, I would have hit you, too. Well...maybe not but I'd want to.

Ride predictably, just as you would if you were a road legal motorcycle but with a bias to the right edge where applicable. As a road rider, nothing pi$$es me off more than to see other riders just haphazardly going wherever they feel without regard for traffic or traffic laws that apply to cyclists just as they do motorists. On sidewalks, across crosswalks then back on the street against traffic. No wonder motorists absolutely despise riders as they tend to do in this day and age. The safety and image of cyclists BEGINS with cyclists. They are their own worst enemy.

Sorry....I'll stop my rant here. Good luck OP. Call Larry Parker, he'll get you some big bucks!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    A high school classmate was riding his Road bike in North Scottsdale, in the bike lane when he was hit and killed...so no thanks I'll ride my mountain bike on the sidewalk.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Azpilot View Post
    A high school classmate was riding his Road bike in North Scottsdale, in the bike lane when he was hit and killed...so no thanks I'll ride my mountain bike on the sidewalk.
    sorry to hear that. Was that the guy who was hit on Thompson Peak Parkway about 5 years ago? I'm still mad about that, the woman only got a $400 fine.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    sorry to hear that. Was that the guy who was hit on Thompson Peak Parkway about 5 years ago? I'm still mad about that, the woman only got a $400 fine.
    That was the one,Shawn McCarty and I attended Moon Valley HS, I don't know how that woman can live with herself.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Crosswalks are the most dangerous place to be as a pedestrian. Proven. I have witnessed FOUR fatalities between pedestrians and motor vehicles IN CROSSWALKS! If you were in a crosswalk while riding a bike, I would have hit you, too. Well...maybe not but I'd want to.
    What is wrong with you?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Thank you to all that provided helpful information.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Guard View Post
    Hello all, I was hoping to get so info from anyone who has been in an accident\Hit by a car while riding around town. This happened to me a week ago and i"m looking for some info and possibly a Lawyer. I will keep any info private so if you feel more comfortable sending it through pm im ok with that.

Thank you.
    Bike Accident Attorneys, PLC

4824 E Baseline Rd #124, Mesa, AZ 85206
    (480) 656-8333

https://g.co/kgs/cEi9Tz

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

NedwannaB
    Not sure about AZ laws but in CA if you're on a bike in a crosswalk you are suppose to be walking it otherwise if riding you are to be following guidelines per DMV or in bike lane.
    Disclaimer: This is not to make light of anyone's personal loss while injured riding a bike.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    several years ago I was hit by a lifted dodge truck in the crosswalk going through the scottsdale airpark. the driver tried to go around me instead of stopping since I was already in the crosswalk. they hit me with their back tire throwing me off the bike. whether they didn't see me, didn't feel them hitting me, or what, they didn't stop either. It was morning rush hour in the airpark and there were lots of other drivers around. not one stopped. Called the police but without any other witness or or description there wasnt much that could be done about it. the only thing I had was a vague description.
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I concur. I always ride my mtb on sidewalks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016

Thank you.
    Was there any fault on your part?
    Did the driver of the car stop and give you their drivers license and insurance information?
    What is the maximum limit of bodily injury and property damage on the drivers car?
    Did the car have current registration tags?
    What are your injuries?
    Do you have health insurance? If so is it covering your bodily injuries? How large is the deductible?
    Do you have a job and did you miss work?
    If the car owner had valid automobile liability coverage is the company denying coverage?
    How much damage was there to your bike?
    What is the make model and year of your bike.
    What did you have your bike insured for before the accident?
    What was the name of the drivers insurance company?
    Was the driver a citizen of a foreign country?
    Do you still have bodily pain from the accident?
    Are you married?
    Do you have dependent children?
    How much money are you wanting for the pain you have gone through?
    Do you have long term disability that doesnít allow you to work?
    Did you have disability coverage before the accident occurred?
    Good luck with your claim.

Cycologist
    Did the driver have a red light and broach the crosswalk when you were hit?

Or make a right turn on red without stopping first (not sure if right on red requires full stop in all states or not)?

Or break any other traffic law that resulted in him/her hitting you?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Did the driver have a red light and broach the crosswalk when you were hit?

Or make a right turn on red without stopping first (not sure if right on red requires full stop in all states or not)?

Or break any other traffic law that resulted in him/her hitting you?
    I am hoping we get some kind of clear description of the accident details at some point.

mtbr member
    When I was talking to the officer when I was hit he basically said "they tend to side with the motorist unless it is a blatant disregard. A bike can stop much faster than a car and a rider can look around and know what's going on. Most of the time the rider is not paying attention". I said bs. I ride both road and mtb. I have learned the sound of a car coming up behind me knowing if they are going to brake and turn. And I never assume I have right away under any circumstances. My favorite thing to do is scream at the motorist who didn't see me. The look in their face is priceless. It's not that I'm an @hole. I just don't like getting hit by cars.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by azimiut View Post
    When I was talking to the officer when I was hit he basically said "they tend to side with the motorist unless it is a blatant disregard. A bike can stop much faster than a car and a rider can look around and know what's going on. Most of the time the rider is not paying attention". I said bs. I ride both road and mtb. I have learned the sound of a car coming up behind me knowing if they are going to brake and turn. And I never assume I have right away under any circumstances. My favorite thing to do is scream at the motorist who didn't see me. The look in their face is priceless. It's not that I'm an @hole. I just don't like getting hit by cars.
    Were you riding your bike in the crosswalk? What are your injuries?

mtbr member
    I was in the cross walk. had a few minor injuries luckly. only bad thing is I slid on the side of my face across the asphalt. thank god for helmets and gloves.
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by joey bennett View Post
    I concur. I always ride my mtb on sidewalks.
    When the city doesnt/Didnt provide a bike lane, you should.

Meatbomb
    I have to admit to getting a bit aggravated when i see people riding on streets like Shea Blvd with no bike lanes... Traffic has to go out of their way to avoid them. Rude dudes IMHO... If i was driving 30 in a 50 I'm sure people would not be happy with me... Why do people feel it's ok to ride roads like that? Just because it's legal and they want to push the point?

My other ride is your mom
    ^^^Really? Because sometimes you have to ride roads like that to get where you are going. It's not pleasant, and I always try to avoid it...but sometimes you can't.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Okay guys I wasnt sure if going into details on this public forum was a good idea or not but here we go anyway.

I was riding southbound down 67th ave on the east side of the street. Yes i was ridding on the wrong side of the street, due to the city having the side walk closed on the other side. I was coming from the side walk into the crosswalk riding. I had the crosswalk signal ( the little white walk guy) so I continued to ride along. The car that hit me was making a right hand turn into 67th ave, she never came to a stop and rolled right through the red light she was to stop at.

After she hit me, she did turn around and come back to give me her information. I did not call the police, I know big mistake on my part, There was a car in the middle lane that saw the whole thing, that car turned around as well and gave me her info to be a witness. She went off on the woman who hit for not coming to a stop. So i have a witness.
    No broken bones on me, sore as hell and my back is wrecked. Yes i did go to the ER and I'm now going to my Chiro. My bike is at the shop now getting checked out but it lookes like the frame was bent.

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    ^^^Really? Because sometimes you have to ride roads like that to get where you are going. It's not pleasant, and I always try to avoid it...but sometimes you can't.
    Not when it comes to Shea. there are better routes to take.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Okay guys I wasnt sure if going into details on this public forum was a good idea or not but here we go anyway.

I was riding southbound down 67th ave on the east side of the street. Yes i was ridding on the wrong side of the street, due to the city having the side walk closed on the other side. I was coming from the side walk into the crosswalk riding. I had the crosswalk signal ( the little white walk guy) so I continued to ride along. The car that hit me was making a right hand turn into 67th ave, she never came to a stop and rolled right through the red light she was to stop at.

After she hit me, she did turn around and come back to give me her information. I did not call the police, I know big mistake on my part, There was a car in the middle lane that saw the whole thing, that car turned around as well and gave me her info to be a witness. She went off on the woman who hit for not coming to a stop. So i have a witness.
    No broken bones on me, sore as hell and my back is wrecked. Yes i did go to the ER and I'm now going to my Chiro. My bike is at the shop now getting checked out but it lookes like the frame was bent.
    So what has her insurance company said to you? I think by law she has to have reported this accident to the DMV because you were injured. Who was her insurance company?

Cycologist
    As I mentioned before, you may want to post in the Commuting forum. I know several of those guys have been hit.

Meatbomb
    And still no police report filed? Why not? You have very little chance of getting a settlement without one.

Life's a ride, enjoy it! Moderator
    Riding the wrong way? Good luck getting anything but a citation.
    Wanted, SRAM GX 2x11 rear derailleur

It ain't supposed to be easy.