History of Hawes?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

History of Hawes?

A buddy and I ride Hawes quite frequently. While chatting at our break spot we wondered about the history of Hawes. While I've spent a fair amount of time visiting and riding the Phoenix area over the past 10 years, we have both (separately) relocated here recently (met at Hawes). As luck would have it, today another rider stopped to chat with us and he filled us in on what he knew having been around for a few or more decades. Just curious if anyone cares to share why, when and how trails came to be there, any interesting facts that newbies might not know (but should) etc?
    Please don't mistake my enthusiasm for mountain biking as an indication of my skill level.

My other ride is your mom
    Motos.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    Motos.
    Tequila Tree
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

So, to elaborate a bit more....there are a few folks who can speak more details about Hawes than I, but I used to go to Performance Bike when I lived in the Mesa and Bill told me about Hawes back in the day when there was just 1 or 2 trails, all moto cut. Some of the newer stuff post-dates the moto time and was obviously hand-cut by intrepid folks....some of which are here on this forum.

MEGALOMANIAC
    Hawes has Gila Monsters, so beware.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

Meatbomb
    Motos are responsible for lot of trails in the Browns Ranch area as well. I miss riding motos up there.

MEGALOMANIAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Motos are responsible for lot of trails in the Browns Ranch area as well. I miss riding motos up there.
    By today's standard, a "moto" could include e-bikes...
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Hawes Trail was a construction road for buried fiber optics from the radio towers. It has deteriorated nicely into what it now is today. Heard some cool stuff about the radio tower buildings. People live there 24/7, maintaining the systems. At least one of them was built by the military to withstand attack. Very think concrete walls and I believe mounted on massive springs.

Pre-Las Sendas, the whole area had random 4x4 trails and moto trails. Folks would camp, shoot, ... I think there was more moto going on there then in the NF side.

Seems some social trails have been popping up here and there for quite some time.

Cool story about the mine on top of Mine Trail. Kelster told me that the mine connected to three total openings. On top, in the middle before the red chunk section and at the step hair pin past the drop. Folks would go in there and explore. Then some kid ran away hid in it and got hurt. Soon after they blew the openings. Mine trail was obviously established by the original miners. Since there is Quartz on the top, I would assume they were mining gold.

Someone want to share about NRA?

recovering roadie
    I started riding out there in '94 or 95 and was told by my tour guide that they weren't built by motos, that they were hand built by an older dude who specifically made the trails too twisty for a moto's long wheelbase to discourage them from tearing the place up. Back then we started at a park on Recker near the TRW plant and took singletrack that generally followed the fiber optic line across the rez and across Power then onto some of the other trails that deviated from the fiber line to the north.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Cool info dobbs.

The too tight for moto wheelbase might have made sense to the builder, but is not true. Hawes would be a balst on a moto. I rode tighter trails on my moto on Sunday morning.

I do tend to believe that motos may not have created the trails out there too. I am sure they rode Hawes trail though. I ride motos at an area with the same decomposed granite composition and if motos were rode a lot at Hawes there would be some big ruts on the main line in many areas. i think folks just OHV'd all over that area pre-Las Sendas, but mtb folks laid out the trails other than Hawes trail and Mine.

I have also never heard stories in the moto community about the area. Just typical desert 4x4, quad, camp, shoot, drink beer stuff for the area pre-development.

IPA tester
    We need more Braaaap and less Craaaap
    "We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    Tequila Tree
    History of Hawes?-fullsizerender.jpg
    History.......

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dobbs View Post
    I started riding out there in '94 or 95 and was told by my tour guide that they weren't built by motos, that they were hand built by an older dude who specifically made the trails too twisty for a moto's long wheelbase to discourage them from tearing the place up. Back then we started at a park on Recker near the TRW plant and took singletrack that generally followed the fiber optic line across the rez and across Power then onto some of the other trails that deviated from the fiber line to the north.
    I think you are pretty much right. I started riding out there about the same time (93/94)...with a group that had been at it a few years before me. There were still tools stashed in certain areas.

We used to either park there in Red Mountain Ranch park, or even at an old convenience store out at Power/McDowell. There was no Las Sendas...or just the very start of it. My first ride was from the convenience store, out East on McDowell to Hawes Rd (hence the name of the system, duh! haha) and then head North to the entrance under the powerline that still exists today. The only route was down Hawes all the way to Power. Then either back on the road (or old parallel trails) to the store, or add in TRW.

Later, the "Goldmine Loop" was established. That's now the Big Saguaro trail, down switchbacks, then left (there was no real "T" to go to Mine, as it wasn't complete yet) to what is now Ridge, and then out to Power and back down TRW to the park. None of those inner "short cuts" existed at first, so it was just a big exterior loop. You even had to know what cactus to stop and hike over from Hawes to even get onto the Goldmine (aka Big Saguaro) trail. It was initially kept a little quiet...then of course, why hike if you can ride mentality burned in the turnoff.

The mine trail was next, as I recall. And you used to have to run it all the way down Bush Hwy, turn West on the road, and then duck back in under the fence at the right point in order to hit the trail back to "Ridge". I helped cut the trail that exists now so you don't have to run out to the road.

Then some of the inner shortcuts popped up. The "4-way" was just a turn...then became a 3-way (with the section running South back towards Hawes/houses). Then the shortcut that runs from there up to the T on Saguaro made it the 4-way it is today.

I also helped cut and dig when TS was being established. Good old days!

I have no idea who made the "Secret" trail sections, but love them (with exception of that darn "middle" one)...THANK YOU, if you are on here!!!!

I never remember seeing a bunch of old moto or 4x4 evidence. Maybe moreso where Las Sendas is today, but not out where all the trails are. There was a time when some motos where riding the Hawes trails and ripping stuff up. Caught them, and had them catch me on bike before. We'd explain that the area was for non-motorized, and the folks were generally understanding. Signs are/were up...and has been a long time since seeing any real evidence of moto traffic. Though a couple years back, some fool took a quad up ridge and you could see the damage pretty clearly. That damn trail is so wide and the "main line" so oddly routed right now...you could get a quad on it. We need a BIG rain again to start fresh! ;-)

OK...so now I feel really old!!!

Just another half mile...
    That's pretty much how I remembered how the trails developed out there in the early 90's back when the trails were skinny and not all blown out like they are now.

Quote Originally Posted by BullitTom View Post
    I think you are pretty much right. I started riding out there about the same time (93/94)...with a group that had been at it a few years before me. There were still tools stashed in certain areas.

We used to either park there in Red Mountain Ranch park, or even at an old convenience store out at Power/McDowell. There was no Las Sendas...or just the very start of it. My first ride was from the convenience store, out East on McDowell to Hawes Rd (hence the name of the system, duh! haha) and then head North to the entrance under the powerline that still exists today. The only route was down Hawes all the way to Power. Then either back on the road (or old parallel trails) to the store, or add in TRW.

Later, the "Goldmine Loop" was established. That's now the Big Saguaro trail, down switchbacks, then left (there was no real "T" to go to Mine, as it wasn't complete yet) to what is now Ridge, and then out to Power and back down TRW to the park. None of those inner "short cuts" existed at first, so it was just a big exterior loop. You even had to know what cactus to stop and hike over from Hawes to even get onto the Goldmine (aka Big Saguaro) trail. It was initially kept a little quiet...then of course, why hike if you can ride mentality burned in the turnoff.

The mine trail was next, as I recall. And you used to have to run it all the way down Bush Hwy, turn West on the road, and then duck back in under the fence at the right point in order to hit the trail back to "Ridge". I helped cut the trail that exists now so you don't have to run out to the road.

Then some of the inner shortcuts popped up. The "4-way" was just a turn...then became a 3-way (with the section running South back towards Hawes/houses). Then the shortcut that runs from there up to the T on Saguaro made it the 4-way it is today.

I also helped cut and dig when TS was being established. Good old days!

I have no idea who made the "Secret" trail sections, but love them (with exception of that darn "middle" one)...THANK YOU, if you are on here!!!!

I never remember seeing a bunch of old moto or 4x4 evidence. Maybe moreso where Las Sendas is today, but not out where all the trails are. There was a time when some motos where riding the Hawes trails and ripping stuff up. Caught them, and had them catch me on bike before. We'd explain that the area was for non-motorized, and the folks were generally understanding. Signs are/were up...and has been a long time since seeing any real evidence of moto traffic. Though a couple years back, some fool took a quad up ridge and you could see the damage pretty clearly. That damn trail is so wide and the "main line" so oddly routed right now...you could get a quad on it. We need a BIG rain again to start fresh! ;-)

OK...so now I feel really old!!!

mtbr member
    This is great local knowledge and history. Thanks!!
    Please don't mistake my enthusiasm for mountain biking as an indication of my skill level.

Anyone been to the tree recently? Do I need to restock it? It's been a while since I visited

mtbr member
    Anyone been to the tree recently? Do I need to restock it? It's been a while since I visited
    Where is the tree?

parenting for gnarness
    its been at least a year. its just not the same alone at 9am. The McDs one is in need of a restock. I cracked the bottle i had saved for it over the weekend .

Quote Originally Posted by zicked View Post
    Where is the tree?
    http://forums.mtbr.com/arizona/tequi...ed-686030.html

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    We stopped by on Easter, tidied up the hutch a bit and thought the same thing~ I'm sure the next trip out the goods will be refreshed a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Javelina View Post
    We stopped by on Easter, tidied up the hutch a bit and thought the same thing~ I'm sure the next trip out the goods will be refreshed a bit.
    Systems Engineering Critical Path question: Was there still tequila in the bottle(s)?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Systems Engineering Critical Path question: Was there still tequila in the bottle(s)?
    Some, However we thought it looked a bit to vintage to indulge.

I'll take care of that "vintage" here in a few weeks when I visit.

mtbr member
    I was there a few months ago and agree with the "vintage" look. I was planning on stocking it sometime this summer since those same two bottles have been there a few years now. If you got it Maad, I'll hold off.

Also regarding its location, the original riddle is slightly off since the "rocky sight" is no longer capable of seeing "through its aim" if I remember correctly.
    Shit happens...

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by ECEGatorTuro View Post
    I was there a few months ago and agree with the "vintage" look. I was planning on stocking it sometime this summer since those same two bottles have been there a few years now. If you got it Maad, I'll hold off.

Also regarding its location, the original riddle is slightly off since the "rocky sight" is no longer capable of seeing "through its aim" if I remember correctly.
    pfft. y'all just need to freeze a water bottle, do ice shooters. fuggin amateurs.

mtbr member
    All I know is Mine Trail was built for horseback mining and the trail used to go much higher than it does today. And Where the Wild Things Are was built by a Strav*******.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    I'll take care of that "vintage" here in a few weeks when I visit.
    Hit us up when you come by.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Not as many as there used to be.

Rhino
    I have little to add to the overall history. I remember finding Secret immediately after it was cut in. It was still soft and pretty unrideable in spots. I was reeling in some dude and a dog and they just vanished. Immediately, I knew there was a secret side trail somewhere. I back tracked and searched the logical spots, and looked for the dog's prints and found where the trail required hiking over some rocks to access. Secret was a "secret" for a long time. Once on Secret I caught up to the guy and the dog and was informed that Secret was built specifically for wildflower viewing by local hikers, and not specifically for MTB.

Finding secret trails is rare with technology these days...that and people don't know how to STFU.

mtbr member
    I started riding Hawes around 93-94. Before Las Sendas. I actually remember getting reamed by some construction manager during the early days of them building it of riding thru a "restricted area". I didn't care at the time. Told him have a nice day and continued riding lol.

Miss the days of parking at Power & Mcdowell, next to the old recycling dumpster. Having the warmup ride up Mcdowell to Hawes, turning left, then chugging up the hill to the trailhead, and bombing all the way down to Power. Or taking the connector trails out to the Mine and secret trails. Awesome climbs.

Then either to take the side trail along Power Rd back to the car or taking TRW and coming back up thru RMR.. Fun times..

Tails