mtbr member
    Oct 2016

Hiline Backside Has Been FUNNED UP

Today was a USFS official volunteer workday on the backside of Hiline. Part of the work concentrated on the highly eroded off camber rock roll. It was told that 60 gallons of water was hiked in to help with the rebuild. The last time I rode that spot my fork bottomed out and I bruised my right thumb. Hopefully it will be more enjoyable to ride for me and other lesser skilled riders. Go USFS and volunteers👍🚴🏻🇺🇸
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hiline Backside Has Been FUNNED UP-acb0c697-cb46-433b-865c-384cae3ade3f.jpg  

Hiline Backside Has Been FUNNED UP-5e3984e9-157e-4494-a31e-68f6d9f38d6b.jpg  

mtbr member
    cool

mtbr member
    I'm sure there will be the "dumbing it down" contingent but in reality the maintenance hardly gets the feature back to what it was when originally built.

Same spot in 2009 while still a secret handshake trail. It was a pretty easy move back then.
    Name:  hiline_1999.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  100.9 KB

mtbr member
    Here's a pic of the same section from 2015.

Name:  hiline_2015.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  143.5 KB

Cymru am byth!
    I have mixed feelings, it is cool more people can ride it but stinks in a way that one of the few really challenging areas is now less so. All and all majority rules and whatever preserves the trail gets my vote. Though I liked it rough and rugged and as difficult as possible.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Cool. I punked out on that section.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    As long as there is someone handing out gold stars at the bottom they can do whatever....

mtbr member
    Even a steep, advanced mostly chuck/ledge descent needs some love once in awhile.

mtbr member
    Haha, I know... Parts of it have gotten harder, like the the section that is now stairsteps into a hard right hand turn. First few rides when Hiline first appeared I had no problem there, now all the dirt is gone it is much more intimidating/committing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    We;ll done USFS, volunteers; and SB for telling us about it.
    Brief BC weather report; wet Spring; going to be a hot ( read forest fires and smoke) Summer--so come before June 15; unless hyer doing the BC 1000 Epic June 30. Cheers.
    TS

mtbr member
    Agree! Well done and cheers to all who have worked on this trail. I just recently got to ride it for the first time a couple weeks ago and could not stop smiling.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    SB2;
    Can you give a brief history of Hiline please.
    Cheers.
    TS

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Senior View Post
    SB2;
    Can you give a brief history of Hiline please.
    Cheers.
    TS
    Nope.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtch View Post
    I have mixed feelings, it is cool more people can ride it but stinks in a way that one of the few really challenging areas is now less so. All and all majority rules and whatever preserves the trail gets my vote. Though I liked it rough and rugged and as difficult as possible.
    The work looks rowdier and chunkier than it looks in Joes photo from 2009 imo.

That outside edge had failed from so many people walking around the roll in feature so it was only a matter of time for it to be addressed. I've been talking about the need of a retaining wall there since about 2012 or so after seeing the tread drift downwards. We could talk about etiquette and keeping tech tech until our faces turn blue but if you don't anticipate behavior on a build problems arise and have to be fixed years down the road. It's not just a bike trail I'll add, it's very popular with the hiking crowd too.

Ahhh the pain....
    Nice work on a hiking and probably illegal trail....lol.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    It's been legal since 2012.

dirt visionary
    Looks good. I have had the privilege to ride from the early days till now and until this it was only getting wider as people made their way off the side and around. I have had many close calls hucking sort of off that over the last couple years trying not to follow the masses off the side further widening it. As with any tech trail even as it ages and is well established it still needs some love every once in awhile. Enjoy the breather as mother nature and riders age the new work.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Well said Clockwork. Not all trails can be expected to ride like they did when new. They age and take on a certain character. But excessive erosion (combined with rider impact) can detract from that character. The gray area is necessary maintenance that doesn't detract from the character of the ride which is intentionally technical. This fix in no way detracts from that user experience.

Kudos to the FS and volunteers on the trail day. Just my 2 cents. I'm sure there are others that would just wish they left it alone. Personally I'm not that picky and am glad the maintenance backlog is getting addressed. The rocks always come back.

Cymru am byth!
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Well said Clockwork. Not all trails can be expected to ride like they did when new. They age and take on a certain character. But excessive erosion (combined with rider impact) can detract from that character. The gray area is necessary maintenance that doesn't detract from the character of the ride which is intentionally technical. This fix in no way detracts from that user experience.

Kudos to the FS and volunteers on the trail day. Just my 2 cents. I'm sure there are others that would just wish they left it alone. Personally I'm not that picky and am glad the maintenance backlog is getting addressed. The rocks always come back.
    Totally great point that technical is not the same as trail erosion. Also, trails have to evolve and be maintained! Even if I personally liked it better before (will report back after riding it Monday). I am still grateful for the FS and trail crew volunteers! Good work guys and gals!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    One of the big factors that no one has addressed about the section of trail in this post is that the bottom of the drop is in a significant drainage. That drian point is a collection of a lot of fast moving water during major downpours. Rockmanís old pictures show what the trail looked like after it was made rideable. I wonder if the USFS took a picture of what that spot looked like twelve years ago when they originally scouted out that alignment?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade2 View Post
    I wonder if the USFS took a picture of what that spot looked like twelve years ago when they originally scouted out that alignment?
    Ha, I know your just throwing bait fish but we all know the USFS had nothing to do with scouting the alignment.

Life's a ride, enjoy it! Moderator
    Yeah, I was surprised that there was that much humility in the first post but knew it couldn't last.
    Wanted, SRAM GX 2x11 rear derailleur

It ain't supposed to be easy.

IPA tester
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    Yeah, I was surprised that there was that much humility in the first post but knew it couldn't last.
    It never lasts long....
    "We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    It's been legal since 2012.
    Yeah, maybe my previous post was more about like 2013 or 2014? I did some work in there with Tomas one of those years and pointed out that failure in that section then. We were the ones that created that left outside line on the steep, steppy roll in to the hard right 90 degree corner just before the discussed section.

Meatbomb
    Ha, I know your just throwing bait fish but we all know the USFS had nothing to do with scouting the alignment.

But John has to end every post with question.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    But John has to end every post with question.
    That he already knows the answer to.

On the bright side, looks like one more section of Hiline I might not be walking.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    Yeah, maybe my previous post was more about like 2013 or 2014? I did some work in there with Tomas one of those years and pointed out that failure in that section then. We were the ones that created that left outside line on the steep, steppy roll in to the hard right 90 degree corner just before the discussed section.
    Ah yes Tomas. He was good at rock work. He would always carry a small rock chipping hammer. He could take a rock and reshape it to the perfect rock. I still ride the right side even though I think the left side you guys built is probably better.

We have a lot to thank him for in Sedona. Two of my favorites is Gunslinger and To Mescal. There is one other one that maybe Lars could talk the USFS into adopting. That one is the crown jewel. It is definitely one that dreams are made of.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Don't worry Ray, at least one person out here got your reference...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade2 View Post
    There is one other one that maybe Lars could talk the USFS into adopting. That one is the crown jewel. It is definitely one that dreams are made of.
    That one is gone forever but was arguably the best advanced trail in Sedona. RIP Tomahawk.

The .05 percent
    That one is gone forever but was arguably the best advanced trail in Sedona. RIP Tomahawk.
    So sad that one is no longer. Flagstaff trail in Sedona.
    Make Flagstaff RAD Again.

mtbr member
    I would have rode it in Rockman's 2009 photo but never made it to Sedona until 2012 and I've always walked that section....and the "stair steps" mentioned by evdog above. I rode *most* of the steps last Halloween but failed miserably on one of them and I still have a scar on my ankle that hasn't healed 100% from the resulting OTB/yardsale. That was my last ride with clipless pedals. I switched to flats full time the next day.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

My other ride is your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by PhxChem View Post
    Don't worry Ray, at least one person out here got your reference...
    I got it as well, but decided to let sleeping Tulsa kids lie....

mtbr member
    Each to their own. I have ridden Hiline every year for the last 4 years now. The roll was progressively getting worn out by the hikers and HABs.

What I remember most from Hiline.
    Year 1, whoa that chute is gnarly. The rest of it seems not too bad.
    Year 2, huh, the chute is easier. But the steps before the rock roll were now gnarly. Too much for me.
    Year 3, well the climb got easier. The Chutes seemed blackish, the steps were dub black and the roll was still pretty easy.
    Year 4 (2018), Climb even easier. But great work on the ďHilineĒ, chute was about the same, steps had a b line on the far left, right turn shouldered more, rock roll was a LOT bigger but again, follow the white dot, and done.

While my riding has progressed a lot since 2014 I feel like the trail has gotten technically easier too. I would agree with most the work if it was based off of sustainability but some of it was not. For a double black thatís a bummer.

Glad to see the work done to the roll. It needed it. For sustainablity. The line remains the same. Follow the white dot and itís easy to roll.

The steps before the roll... got give it a touch of speed and keep some bend in the arms to soak the steps. Itís either that or get sucked over the bars pretty easy.

Thanks again! Sedona doesnít disappoint!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Just rode Highline and others. Still great and not dumbed down.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin MD View Post
    Each to their own. I have ridden Hiline every year for the last 4 years now. The roll was progressively getting worn out by the hikers and HABs.

What I remember most from Hiline.
    Year 1, whoa that chute is gnarly. The rest of it seems not too bad.
    Year 2, huh, the chute is easier. But the steps before the rock roll were now gnarly. Too much for me.
    Year 3, well the climb got easier. The Chutes seemed blackish, the steps were dub black and the roll was still pretty easy.
    Year 4 (2018), Climb even easier. But great work on the ďHilineĒ, chute was about the same, steps had a b line on the far left, right turn shouldered more, rock roll was a LOT bigger but again, follow the white dot, and done.

While my riding has progressed a lot since 2014 I feel like the trail has gotten technically easier too. I would agree with most the work if it was based off of sustainability but some of it was not. For a double black thatís a bummer.

Glad to see the work done to the roll. It needed it. For sustainablity. The line remains the same. Follow the white dot and itís easy to roll.

The steps before the roll... got give it a touch of speed and keep some bend in the arms to soak the steps. Itís either that or get sucked over the bars pretty easy.

Thanks again! Sedona doesnít disappoint!
    I always ride the chute no problem. It's those steps that bother me but you're right. Make a mistake and it's OTB.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer