Hiking and camping Flagstaff- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2018

Hiking and camping Flagstaff

Any recommendations if I wanted a place to park my truck camper for the weekend where my dogs could be off leash, my wife can relax, and I can ride some sweet trails? I guess Iím wondering if I can get a decent campsite off Schultz pass without it being too crowded, or if Iím better off in Fort Valley area and accessing trails from that side. This is my first time riding Flag. Any help appreciated!

My other ride is your mom
    All options you mention are good, but the Schultz Pass has the potential of being a bit more crowded....especially now that you posted this on Friday night....but still worth a try in my opinion. The other option you have is camping off of FR 151 (Hart Prairie Rd). Schultz will have the best option for the most trails, followed by Ft Valley, and the FR 151 with access to the AZT close by.

If you light a fire, make sure it is dead out with lots of water, turning the earth over and over and using your hand to find hot spots....or better yet, don't light one.

Have fun.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Thanks Maadjurguer! We ended up in Ft Valley given the late start and couldnít have been happier...although Shultz may be a bit more scenic. I was able to catch the AZT just a bit further up the road we camped off, and that opened up a ton of trails (in addition to the trailhead). Iíll head up for more of the same next weekend and look forward to learning the trails around Flag.

FWIW I camp about 40 nights per year and maybe have a fire 5-10 of those nights, usually for winter desert camping. Iím still surprised and impressed that we made it through the closures without the state going up in smoke. No way will I be ďthat guyĒ!

Low speed, High Drag
    I was gonna suggest Fort Valley for camping, but it looks like you already found it!!

We camped there for the MBAA race last year, and it worked perfectly for the race, and for the riding afterwords!!
    I need a cool saying to put here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    Schultz Pass has the potential of being a bit more crowded....especially now that you posted this on Friday night....but still worth a try in my opinion.
    Understatement. I won't even try to figure out how many hours and miles I logged Friday night trying to find a campsite anywhere in the Schultz area. Complete failsauce, and even after expanding my search farther out ended up giving up and heading off to Prescott. Got a feeling there are more places in the Schultz area than I searched, but not familiar with the area, so I only had the official forest service travel plan maps to go off of (and put 4wd low to good use a few times!)

Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    If you light a fire, make sure it is dead out with lots of water, turning the earth over and over and using your hand to find hot spots....or better yet, don't light one.
    Emphasis on 'dont light one' in the Schultz area too. Most of it is signed to indicate that fires are a no go regardless of timing.

As far as HIKING in the Flag area, the only trail I've properly done up that way was Humphrey's. Drove up the night before to acclimate a bit, and just picked a random forest road to park off of near the trailhead.

EDR
    I've camped off of Schultz pass rd several times. For the Fort Valley camping are you guys simply keeping on the road past the Ft. Valley trail head and finding dispersed camping? I'm not familiar with the area nearly as much as up Schultz. I'm sure it's obvious once there.

Low speed, High Drag
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    I've camped off of Schultz pass rd several times. For the Fort Valley camping are you guys simply keeping on the road past the Ft. Valley trail head and finding dispersed camping? I'm not familiar with the area nearly as much as up Schultz. I'm sure it's obvious once there.
    Yup, go up the road past the bend, and there's all kinds if spots along the road, both sides. Once you get to the road that goes off to the right, there's even more spots up there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018

there are many spots great spots both ways, just remembers is rather hard place to start...

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by ber453 View Post
    there are many spots great spots both ways, just remembers is rather hard place to start...
    How so? Trail access?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by ber453 View Post
    I didn't find it hard at all. Just stick to the right and you can practically camp on the AZT, but you do give up access to some of the lower trails out of the trail head. I rode that up towards the Schultz pass trails last weekend, and will ride it the opposite way tomorrow.

EDIT: I drive a 4x4 truck camper and I can't say for sure that you could get in that far with a low clearance vehicle or towing a trailer.

EDR
    If access is a bit difficult that would be just what I'm looking for anyway. I sold my truck a year ago but our Outback does just fine in most places.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk