Highline Trail- Mtbr.com

Thread: Highline Trail

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Highline Trail

Hey all you Valley dirtballs... Please come up and ride our Highline Trail. There have been some beautiful reroutes that have made for some great riding.. The trail needs traffic...
    Reroutes: hwy 260 to See Canyon, Horton Creek, 289C west for 3 miles, Washington Park east for 9 miles, Pine TH east for 3 miles.
    Portions of other sections have pieces rerouted. PE Fuels and AZ Trails are working on lay out as we speak...
    Some great riding to be had for sure.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Elitest thrill junkie
    I will this Spring.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Outside of snowstorms, how quickly is it ridable again during winter time? This trail is on my ride/bucket list.

mtbr member
    Well don't make Highline too easy. Or Schillingsworth will have to add another 10k of climbing to the AZTR route again.

mtbr member
    ^ lol

Just another half mile...
    [QUOTE=90minIPA;14546145]Hey all you Valley dirtballs... Please come up and ride our Highline Trail. There have been some beautiful reroutes that have made for some great riding.. The trail needs traffic...
    Reroutes: hwy 260 to See Canyon, Horton Creek, 289C west for 3 miles, Washington Park east for 9 miles, Pine TH east for 3 miles.
    Portions of other sections have pieces rerouted. PE Fuels and AZ Trails are working on lay out as we speak...

Which section are the PE Fuels and AZ Trails working on? It would be great if the section just east of Horton Creek gets rerouted since that is the last piece between Horton Creek and See Canyon that hasn't been reworked. I led a Pt to Pt from the top of Drew trail down to HL over to Horton Ck and down Horton Creek to the TH at the end. It was a great ride except for the HAB section just east of Horton.

EDR

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Well don't make Highline too easy. Or Schillingsworth will have to add another 10k of climbing to the AZTR route again.
    There's always climbing to add for the AZTR, I'll hold off until you declare again...I know you will!! You want that AZT800 finishers patch.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

DFL>DNF>DNS
    According to the ATA, during their annual meeting this past Saturday, there are 5 Highline re-route projects on tap for 2020. They didn't go into exact details on those, but perhaps I can get that info. Those will be somewhere between Pine & Washington Park. But, I agree with Dale, that one but east of Horton Spring needs some love.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishragamuffin View Post
    Outside of snowstorms, how quickly is it ridable again during winter time? This trail is on my ride/bucket list.
    Perfect conditions now... Looks like some rain next week...cooler temps. Rain dries pretty quick...snow...depends on temps. We are on the upswing on temps..daylight. Keep an eye on the weather. I'll update post.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    [QUOTE=Epicrider;14546879]
    Quote Originally Posted by 90minIPA View Post
    Hey all you Valley dirtballs... Please come up and ride our Highline Trail. There have been some beautiful reroutes that have made for some great riding.. The trail needs traffic...

Which section are the PE Fuels and AZ Trails working on? It would be great if the section just east of Horton Creek gets rerouted since that is the last piece between Horton Creek and See Canyon that hasn't been reworked. I led a Pt to Pt from the top of Drew trail down to HL over to Horton Ck and down Horton Creek to the TH at the end. It was a great ride except for the HAB section just east of Horton.
    Yes, that section is heinous. I am currently working to connect the new tread in pics with area near Zane Grey. This is a huge project..maybe like 8 miles... We are in the layout stage. Then NEPA then $ for building....but you're young...done for ya know it.

mtbr member
    Looks great. Thanks for the advocacy and building.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Where is this trail?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by #mtnbykr View Post
    Where is this trail?
    The Washington Park TH is off of Control Road. Control Rd. is just south of Pine and runs east and west. Take Control Rd East for 9 miles off Hwy ,87 then 5 miles north through the community of Washington Park to the TH. Ride trail to the east.

mtbr member
    We came up and rode an out-n-back from Washington Park TH to Bonita Creek last August. Loved it! If this trail was all rideable (or mostly so) from Pine to the 260 TH, it would be one of the best rides in the state. Realize that's a tall order... just sayin'. :-)

So if you start at the 260 TH, can you ride pretty much (don't mind a little HAB) all the way up on Highline and then down Horton as a point-to-point ride?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelmonkey View Post
    We came up and rode an out-n-back from Washington Park TH to Bonita Creek last August. Loved it! If this trail was all rideable (or mostly so) from Pine to the 260 TH, it would be one of the best rides in the state. Realize that's a tall order... just sayin'. :-)

So if you start at the 260 TH, can you ride pretty much (don't mind a little HAB) all the way up on Highline and then down Horton as a point-to-point ride?
    Hey I was on that ride! It was a great trail. It does need more traffic mostly due to the tall grass in a few spots. We actually lost the trail one or two times but it was all totally rideable. We didn't see another person the whole ride and this was a weekend in August.

I've also ridden from 260TH to See Canyon and back. I've ridden up Horton and west to the Hatchery. I've never gone east of Horton or to Derrick but I think we need to try the 260TH to Horton. The climb out of See going west looks a little nasty, the ride down Horton is a blast!

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Not only can you ride from Two Sixty TH to Horton Springs, but you can keep going to the Hatchery on good trail. As mentioned above the bit of Highline between Derrick & Horton Springs needs some work, but if you don't mind a bit of hike-a-bike, it's fine. You could always drop down Derrick & climb Horton. I've done that too, and it's a bit of work. We did a full pull to Pine dropping down from the Hatchery to the Control Rd. a few years back. Made for a great 50 mile day. It would be absolutely amazing to stay on the Highline the entire way. Some day...

Highline: Two Sixty to Pine
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schillingsworth View Post
    It would be absolutely amazing to stay on the Highline the entire way. Some day...
    Highline: Two Sixty to Pine
    Totally agree. As Santana says above, we were out there on a beautiful August day and never saw ANYONE the whole day outside of the parking lot. And the riding was fun and interesting with a backcountry feel to it. Interesting when you're riding along and there's a trail down there somewhere below, but the high grass is pushing in from both sides. We need the landscaping guy out to trim that up! LOL.

Next up will be Two Sixty to the Hatchery!!!

mtbr member
    I did 260 to Hatchery a couple years back on Memorial day. Fun ride. The section between Derrick and Horton is good trail for around 1.5mi. The rough section isn't very long.

Day 2 - https://forums.mtbr.com/arizona/tr-p...a-1047680.html

EDR
    I rode from the Hatchery east to Horton and down to the Horton Creek TH/Upper Tonto Creek campground...and back up the road last summer.

Is the section between Hatchery and Horton better west to east? Would hate to miss the run down Horton but it was some tough slogging for me for a while going east (first hour or so) but it was just after heavy rains and the muck combined with the switchbacks combined with the loose baseball sized rocks made it a real challenge. Things got pretty awesome once I cleared all that.

mtbr member
    Highline Trail-6f52bb39-0b65-42d8-a67e-ce2978be6b9c.jpg

Last fall rode east from Washington Park until the super chunky climbing up the wide road bed started. I donít recall mileage but was wondering if that section has been re routed or has plans to be ?
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azjonboy View Post
    Last fall rode east from Washington Park until the super chunky climbing up the wide road bed started. I donít recall mileage but was wondering if that section has been re routed or has plans to be ?
    We did about 8 miles out and then back, with turn-around at Bonita Creek (had been told that was about where the nice trail mostly ended). Don't recall seeing anything like your photo, so I'd guess you were probably east of Bonita. Seems like someone told me since we were there that you can continue past Bonita for a couple miles or more before it really gets bad.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    About a year & a half ago we made a loop from Washington Park going east on Highline to the end of the good stuff. Then, two miles of 'legacy' Highline trail to the sporty Mertle Trail to gain the rim. Up top, FR300 back to the AZT & down using the Colonel Devin trail.

Washington Park Loop
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    About a year & a half ago we made a loop from Washington Park going east on Highline to the end of the good stuff. Then, two miles of 'legacy' Highline trail to the sporty Mertle Trail to gain the rim. Up top, FR300 back to the AZT & down using the Colonel Devin trail.

Washington Park Loop
    Been there, done that, got the KOM

mtbr member

Washington Park Loop
    Thatís the spot, John! We turned around there.

Ive been thinking of a loop from my cabin, which is right off where UBar crosses 139G. Using cabin as base camp you can do some serious, painful miles up there.

Think dropping into Aspen Springs, going west to Fred Haught to General Crook to 300 and taking train tunnel down to Highline. Then east on Highline to Hatchery.

Then who knows ????

Steaks and beer on the deck afterwards. Might even have a cowboy hot tub!
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Up top, FR300 back to the AZT
    Washington Park Loop
    I've heard that Rim Road run can be a lot of fun dodging traffic rolling dirt clouds. :-)

mtbr member
    It can be downright scary on weekends in the summer. More Razrís than actual autos, though.
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I'm headed up that direction for spring break with the family and was hoping to do a ride or self shuttle ride on some of those trails in the 10-15 mile range.

What do you recommend as the best in the area? Looks like a military sinkhole to Highline 260TH to See canyon is about 10 miles and more downhill than up. Good route?

mtbr member
    May 2017
    delete double post

Just another half mile...
    A couple of options that I used to do. Park at See Canyon TH. Head east on Highline to 260 TH, Military Sinkhole (doable if string rider, if not short HAB to the top). Ride west along the Rim and drop down on Drew and finish on HL to See Canyon TH. The drop off the rim down to See Canyon if fun and chunky in places and swoopy in other. Option 2 is to drop a vehicle off at the bottom of Horton Creek and then start on top top dropping down Drew to HL. then west on HL and down Horton Creek trail. About halfway down Horton Creek, look for the trail that drops down to the creek and runs along the creek for a mile or so. Since it is early in the season, most likely there will be downed trees along some of the trails. Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by zwieblekopf View Post
    I'm headed up that direction for spring break with the family and was hoping to do a ride or self shuttle ride on some of those trails in the 10-15 mile range.

What do you recommend as the best in the area? Looks like a military sinkhole to Highline 260TH to See canyon is about 10 miles and more downhill than up. Good route?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    You could go 260TH to See Canyon to Horton, shuttle back to 260TH. Now I haven't done See Canyon to Horton and it includes the HAB section between Derrick and Horton. The ride from 260TH to See is a blast though and mostly net downhill if that's a concern. The climb out of See looks pretty real though. The ride down Horton Creek is a blast. If you want to go out and back, the ride from Washington Park to Bonita Creek is really nice and around 15 miles not a ton of elevation gain.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by azjonboy View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6F52BB39-0B65-42D8-A67E-CE2978BE6B9C.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	341.6 KB 
ID:	1311423

I am currently laying out a track that begins in the Robert's Draw area (about 3.5 miles west of Zane Gray). Reroute will extend to FR 144 where trail to the west has been rerouted. The picture looks like the trail in area where I'm working...heinous. Reroute will follow 6600' contour towards Ellison Creek. Lots of manzinita.