Highline or Hangover??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2018

Highline or Hangover??

Hi I'm traveling to Sedona for the first time in April. I have been researching the trails out there and i am really interested in both Highline and Hangover trails. Both seem like trails of a life time.

If i only get the chance to complete one while i am out there, which trail should i choose??

mtbr member
    They are both cool trails. If only one ride I'd probably do Hiline because it is part of a better loop. Hangover is kind of off by itself and the trail it connects to (Munds) isn't that fun imo. You can sort of loop it by climbing the road and descending Munds after, but I like the Hiline loop better and you can add more to that one as your time allows. If you have more time, you can combine both or Hogs as well into a HH or HHH loop.

mtbr member
    Ginger or MaryAnn? An intermediate can ride most of HiLine and only have to walk a short stretch of gnar. HO is more advanced with more opportunity to hurt yourself but is a shorter ride. An intermediate might walk 50% of it. Personally, if I had to pick one I'd say HiLine as it has more variety but consider doing a Double H by adding the Hogs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    They are both cool trails. If only one ride I'd probably do Hiline because it is part of a better loop. Hangover is kind of off by itself and the trail it connects to (Munds) isn't that fun imo. You can sort of loop it by climbing the road and descending Munds after, but I like the Hiline loop better and you can add more to that one as your time allows.
    ^^^THIS^^^ We do them both on our 4 day weekends but I agree with pretty much everything evdog stated....except I absolutely LOVE coming back on Munds after riding the Hangover loop. You can't go wrong on Hiline though. It's a great ride for sure.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    I have completed HiLine on old school 26" HT about 3 years ago. Certainly possible with good skills to ride most of it. The final steep descent was a no go on that bike for my skill level, but was only a short bit of trail. I have never ridden hangover, but I get the impression there is more exposure and "I might die if I screw up moments" on it.

I found High on the Hog and Hog Heaven to be harder than HiLine. I could not seem to "find the line" on these trails very well and never knew when to go left or right over a bind turn or brow so I had zero momentum and flow. If I had know the trail or been following it might have been easier. HiLine however seemed much easier to follow by sight and know where I was going. Hog Wash however was really fun. Don't take this to mean those trails are bad, but I just could not seem to find MY flow on them riding them just once. One of my personal riding issuses is being tentative on narrow bench cut trails where I can't seem to "flow" with it. If I can't easily see where I am going 30 feet in front of me it gets in my head.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Agree with the above comments, Hiline and Hogs probably highest fun factor, Hiline great sights. Hiline and Hogs easy to jump on for a ride and have fun without too much way finding / lack of flow for first ride.

Biggest special aspect about Hangover I feel is every time I ride it it has the biggest wow factor to me with regard to scenery as well as 'wait I'm riding that line?'. Definitely most challenging technically.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Ginger or MaryAnn? An intermediate can ride most of HiLine and only have to walk a short stretch of gnar. HO is more advanced with more opportunity to hurt yourself but is a shorter ride. An intermediate might walk 50% of it. Personally, if I had to pick one I'd say HiLine as it has more variety but consider doing a Double H by adding the Hogs.
    Definitely Ginger, Mary Ann was flatter and only connected back with Schultz, but you at least still had RR to ride at the end of Ginger, or you could head up for Wasabi, etc.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Definitely Ginger, Mary Ann was flatter and only connected back with Schultz, but you at least still had RR to ride at the end of Ginger, or you could head up for Wasabi, etc.
    Yeah well they might both be off the island. Rescued by logging contractors. Unless you had sampled their island delights you might never had known they were there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    I found High on the Hog and Hog Heaven to be harder than HiLine. I could not seem to "find the line" on these trails very well and never knew when to go left or right over a bind turn or brow so I had zero momentum and flow. If I had know the trail or been following it might have been easier. HiLine however seemed much easier to follow by sight and know where I was going. Hog Wash however was really fun. Don't take this to mean those trails are bad, but I just could not seem to find MY flow on them riding them just once. One of my personal riding issuses is being tentative on narrow bench cut trails where I can't seem to "flow" with it. If I can't easily see where I am going 30 feet in front of me it gets in my head.
    Not just you, there are plenty of blind corners on the Hogs and we couldn't find any kind of flow as you mentioned.

OP, if you choose to go this route with the Hogs hopefully you can tail someone who knows the trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by FJ40runr View Post
    Agree with the above comments, Hiline and Hogs probably highest fun factor, Hiline great sights. Hiline and Hogs easy to jump on for a ride and have fun without too much way finding / lack of flow for first ride.

Biggest special aspect about Hangover I feel is every time I ride it it has the biggest wow factor to me with regard to scenery as well as 'wait I'm riding that line?'. Definitely most challenging technically.
    " Biggest special aspect about Hangover I feel is every time I ride it it has the biggest wow factor to me with regard to scenery as well as 'wait I'm riding that line?'."

Reading this really makes me want to do hangover!! That's the kind of thing i'm looking for.

I think after reading these posts i'll have to go for two days. I won't be able to get the trail i missed off my mind if i don't do it lol.

All of your advice is appreciated!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Yeah well they might both be off the island. Rescued by logging contractors. Unless you had sampled their island delights you might never had known they were there.
    Funny! Best comments I've read today.

-db-

mtbr member
    Do Highline.....

imo it is an easier climb with great views and a lot less exposure that Hangover.

Will you be riding alone?

1st time I rode HO I did it with a group and would not have wanted to be up there alone.

I have ridden it alone since but I know where I was going and know what I was in for.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Both are easily rideable in one day.....problem solved.

mtbr member

Highline or Hangover??

Quote Originally Posted by rippling over canyons View Post
    Both are easily rideable in one day.....problem solved.
    Yep. What roc said. And you donít want to miss either. IMO. Both are so special.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com