Help me make a tough choice MTBR!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Help me make a tough choice MTBR!

Alright, my girlfriend has had an ass-full of all of my bikes in our apartment (7 of them) and has let me know that one has to go. I have to part with either my DH bike or my freeride bike and I'm having a tough time deciding which one. My DH bike is a 2005 Ironhorse SGS and my freeride bike is a 2005 Ironhorse 7point5. I like spending time on South Mountain's north trails, but I also want to be able to hit up Papago or NRA and maybe some Candy Mountain or Sunrise (if they even open this year). Which bike would you let go OR what bike could anyone suggest to replace the two? What it boils down to is that I need one bike to do both bikes jobs. I need your help MTBR!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    it is obvious...get a new girlfriend and keep all your bikes

A Mountainside=My Therapy
    I would get another bike (to make 8), then get hooks to hang some from ceiling that way you could stack them at least two high.

Downhill Messiah
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankarm
    +1
    Madspeed always prevails!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankarm

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! That is fantastic! We'll call that "Plan B."

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    keep the freeride bike. A lot more versatile and you can always just swap forks depending on locations.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

Bandolero

The Camera Eye

Quote Originally Posted by Uglyrunner
    Alright, my girlfriend has had an ass-full of all of my bikes in our apartment (7 of them) and has let me know that one has to go.

... snip...

I need your help MTBR!
    This sounds like a huge problem.

Without a graphical representation of each it's hard to provide relevant advice.

Could you please submit pictures of your GF and bikes please?

Based upon your avatar, I'm assuming this is her:
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uglyrunner
    Alright, my girlfriend has had an ass-full of all of my bikes in our apartment (7 of them) and has let me know that one has to go. I have to part with either my DH bike or my freeride bike and I'm having a tough time deciding which one. My DH bike is a 2005 Ironhorse SGS and my freeride bike is a 2005 Ironhorse 7point5. I like spending time on South Mountain's north trails, but I also want to be able to hit up Papago or NRA and maybe some Candy Mountain or Sunrise (if they even open this year). Which bike would you let go OR what bike could anyone suggest to replace the two? What it boils down to is that I need one bike to do both bikes jobs. I need your help MTBR!
    Wait, did they even invent "freeride bikes" in 2005?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    No camera by me for the pics, but she looks like that but blond and less Zuul. I am, however, all Vinz Clortho.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Wait, did they even invent "freeride bikes" in 2005?
    Yes, this was one year before the invention of the "all mountain bike"

Team Tortuga
    As long as your DH is a large you can store it in my garage in exchange for the occasional use of it!!

mtbr member
    I don't get it? Why is 6 bikes ok, but 7 is too much? Hmmm.

The Most Interesting Man
    Jul 2009
    Could this get any simpler??? Just store your bikes in a friends garage or storage. It aint that expensive. That is option B. Option A, GET RID OF HER.
    I Like Dirt.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Sell both bikes and get a Trek Scratch.

pedaller
    I'm sorry. I still at "ass-full". What was your problem again?
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Move out the apartment and rent or buy a house (while the market is still low). Plenty of room for bikes and the GF. You can still ride em both... DH and freeride that is.
    It's only skin, it'll grow back!!

Save the drama for your mama!!!

Porkchop Sandwiches!

wrecking crew
    i dunno...seems pretty drastic. 1 bike too many? How can that be? Isn't getting rid of a bike akin to cutting off a finger?

The Other's suggestions are all good but...Does she have anything she could get rid of that would allow you to keep your bike? ;-)
    ~~~

pedaller
    Quote Originally Posted by su.ling~
    Does she have anything she could get rid of that would allow you to keep your bike? ;-)
    Yes.

him.
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg
    Yes.

him.
    AWESOME!!!

If she gets rid of her shoes you can get rid of a bike. Or purses, or whatever inevitable nonsense thing she has way to goddam many of. If my wife asked me to get rid of one of my bikes when we were dating, it would have taken less time for me to take her stuff and toss it on the front lawn than explain why that is a horrible request. Luckily she allows me to keep as many bikes as I want... And yes she has way to goddam many shoes.

mtbr member
    That's the first step in giving up your manhood my friend. First it's just one bike, then it's all except one bike. Then you won't be allowed to go ride your one bike because you have to paint your bedroom pink and go for mani/pedi/facial after that. Then she'll be too tired from all that bossing you around to give you any nookie.
    If you have bills or a kid or some legitimate reason for selling a bike I'd say ok, but if not...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog
    Sell both bikes and get a Trek Scratch.
    second that. it will do both better.

JohnniO
    No joke, really , keep the bike. Or... just cut all the top tubes off and make them all into girls bikes to suit your emasculation. If she liked you in a pink sweater would you wear that too ?

Ok honey since we are having kids, sell the rest of the bikes so we can buy a minivan.
    Oh ok dear

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by berzerker
    That's the first step in giving up your manhood my friend. First it's just one bike, then it's all except one bike. Then you won't be allowed to go ride your one bike because you have to paint your bedroom pink and go for mani/pedi/facial after that. Then she'll be too tired from all that bossing you around to give you any nookie.
    If you have bills or a kid or some legitimate reason for selling a bike I'd say ok, but if not...
    this.

mtbr member
    I have two responses for this:

Doesn't she understand this is like asking you to choose which child you want to die? Which one do you love the least? Neither I love them both! It's an impossible situation! Maybe it's time to find a new apartment or girlfriend (unless you really love her too) then just get a bigger place.

Response 2:

WOW... This is the perfect opportunity to upgrade! What are the other 4 bikes? Maybe you could get ride of some of the others and just have a DH and something like a Mojo HD, Santa Cruz Nomad, Specialized Enduro... (or some other all mountain type bike). My buddy has four bikes he rides regularly a V10, Enduro, Blur LTc and a Land Shark (road bike). Between those four bikes he has everything covered.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    go ahead and sell a bike or two, it might hurt a little bit to cut your first nut off but from what I understand the second one comes off like it was nothing.
    and the lurker returns to the dark corner:nono:

The Most Interesting Man
    Jul 2009
    But I am kinda wondering....why do you need 7 bikes??? Downhill bike...freeride bike...trail bike, and a dj bike?. and maybe even a possible second trail bike that is better at climbs. Really you only need 4...maybe 5. But 7???

Unless you have a bmx bike? Wow...I didnt realize there are so mny bikes until I started counting
    I Like Dirt.

MIA
    Feb 2005
    Just turn in the man card now. This does not bode well for your ability to ride and have your bikes in the future....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tannerdrummer
    But I am kinda wondering....why do you need 7 bikes??? Downhill bike...freeride bike...trail bike, and a dj bike?. and maybe even a possible second trail bike that is better at climbs. Really you only need 4...maybe 5. But 7???

Unless you have a bmx bike? Wow...I didnt realize there are so mny bikes until I started counting
    dh
    fr
    trail
    xc racer
    bmx
    jump
    roadie
    commuter

??

Pivotal figure
    FR bike stays, DH goes. Really, unless you plan on doing a fair amount of racing it's pretty hard to justify such a specialty bike. I had more fun at Sunrise on my shorter travel bike than I did on the DHR, just have to be a bit more selective with line choice
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

rip the line
    Jun 2006
    I concur with the getting rid of the girlfriend. If she is bossing u now, wait til you'e married man, you'll have yourself a running stroller and that's it.
    "I tried to live always free and above board like you" Cool Hand Luke

mtbr member
    My first thought was what year is she, but that has been pretty much covered. You are in a situation where yes selling one or more and taking that money and upgrading would be great, but you can not do that now. Not now that she has said your modern works of art have to go. BS. Hang that shiz on the wall and put up mini spot lights or track lighting to show off your art work.
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

mtbr member
    who pays the rent? if its 50-50 then you need to work something out. however, if she moved in with you and you already had your bikes then put your foot down. if the relationship is going somewhere then you need to set it straight now and say you are always going to have a lot of bikes and its better than being a drug addict. as a last resort: call a friend with a garage and see if you can get them to keep 2 bikes. as a last last resort sell 4 bikes and get one new sweet super bike.

mtbr member
    Just say to her, "You know sweetheart my last girlfriend didn't mind the bikes at all, why do you?"

The problem will then sort itself out...I promise

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 'size
    dh
    fr
    trail
    xc racer
    bmx
    jump
    roadie
    commuter

??
    Cyclocross

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tannerdrummer

It's not a matter of needing. If he has 7 DH bikes and the ol' lady wants one gone just because, that's kinda F'ed up.

mtbr member
    dh
    fr
    trail
    xc racer
    bmx
    jump
    roadie
    commuter
    ??
    SS Roadbike
    Fixie
    SS MTN Bike
    SS Rigid MTN bike
    Cruiser/Townie Coffee/grocery getter

You only have 7 bikes and she has an issue with that? I have faced this same issue a couple of times in the past... much easier to find a new girlfriend then to deal with selling bikes, dealing with switching to womens saddles because of the removal of your manhood.. and having to quit riding in the future because she wants you to help her pick out a poodle and a bag for you to carry it around in... trust me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by berzerker
    It's not a matter of needing. If he has 7 DH bikes and the ol' lady wants one gone just because, that's kinda F'ed up.
    again, this.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    just buy her a bike and make it 8

dirt visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    FR bike stays, DH goes. Really, unless you plan on doing a fair amount of racing it's pretty hard to justify such a specialty bike. I had more fun at Sunrise on my shorter travel bike than I did on the DHR, just have to be a bit more selective with line choice

same here . Used my ssxtrail more at sunrise and had more fun on it than my dhr.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    dh
    fr
    trail
    xc racer
    bmx
    jump
    roadie
    commuter

??
    Don't forget
    trials
    beach cruiser
    unicycle
    race bmx

Maybe you could get a tandem. That'll show her. Is it one bike or two?

Members who have read this thread: 0