help with design for hitch bike rack on suv- Mtbr.com
    sandbagger

... and if we just ... help with design for hitch bike rack on suv

Hello looking to have my friend build a rack out of aluminum to hopefully hold 4 bikes. have 1 1/4 reciever already. has anyone built their own ?

I was thinking the trays where your tire sinks into them and a bar next to each tray to strap frame to. alternating the bike positions to keep the length down. any suggestions on a good rack ? maybe do drawing and post picture ?

I do have a shuttle trailer so im looking for just a rack for when i dont need to carry so many bikes.

and they will all be downhill/free ride bikes with akward frames
    V10.5 with Dorado pro and Vivid Air
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com
    www.facebook.com/twosixbikes

Downhill Messiah
    i had my buddy make me an aluminum rack for the trunk of my car, it works great. but if u are looking to hold four dh bikes, i would probbly make it out of steel. aluminum has a tendency to crack under alot of weight.
    He has the full mig/tig set up and a mill in his garage, he would probably be willing to fab u up something. pm me if u want his info.
    Madspeed always prevails!

AZ
    banned
    If i were building a rack like this I would probably use steel instead of aluminum . The fatigue life would be greater , considering the loads this is likely to see I would err to the conservitive side .

sandbagger
    ok well lets say i go steel any ideas ? ive got friends that are engineers with fab shops in their back yard. they build sandrails so i dont doubt they can come with a design but they dont ride bikes thats why i wanted a little input what design would work best for big dh rigs.

such as the trays. or the hang system we use on our trailers etc. and yeah it would hold prob 175lbs of bikes as my bike is 46lbs prob weighs more than my groups bikes except brents session 10 that may be heavier
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by airmiller44
    ok well lets say i go steel any ideas ? ive got friends that are engineers with fab shops in their back yard. they build sandrails so i dont doubt they can come with a design but they dont ride bikes thats why i wanted a little input what design would work best for big dh rigs.

such as the trays. or the hang system we use on our trailers etc. and yeah it would hold prob 175lbs of bikes as my bike is 46lbs prob weighs more than my groups bikes except brents session 10 that may be heavier
    While up in Whistler this summer, CraigH from Vancouver met us for some North Shore riding. We were all drooling over his bike rack which hauls bikes set up vertically with front wheels up and tilted at an angle. I think he had room for 6 "big" bikes! Can't recall the name. Maybe PM CraigH and ask... When/If my Thule T2 ever dies, this is the rack that I want

Shred...it's the new drug
    DG speaks of the North Shore Rack system. A buddy in Prescott has one and it's sick!!! The fork holder never touches frame or stanction, just holds the crown and head tube. I think you could fab it up pretty quick. here's the link...

http://www.northshoreracks.com/

If you get it done, I want to hang my bike off of it to get some runs in with you!!!

sandbagger
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob
    DG speaks of the North Shore Rack system. A buddy in Prescott has one and it's sick!!! The fork holder never touches frame or stanction, just holds the crown and head tube. I think you could fab it up pretty quick. here's the link...

http://www.northshoreracks.com/

If you get it done, I want to hang my bike off of it to get some runs in with you!!!
    damn thats what i was lookin for ! that seems real simple to build. call it done. im going to make a 4 maybe even six and maybe ill get him to make it so i could also hit the trailer hitch on there to tow the shuttle trailer. id prob have another car tow it all once i got to the hill lol

im rollin the new kia soul hamster holdin 15 bikes could be done but seems stupid to me haha. but i could roll at least 4 on the back or use shuttle trailer. but if friends drive that would be cool with combo. i want to start hitting up south mountain soon. got all my friends to get dh bikes for sunrise and they are all itching to ride.
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com

Shred...it's the new drug
    Come on out for wed. mornin's on somo...always a good time.

If you gonna build one, build a 6 spot and you'll always have room for those surprise appearing riders. You can fit at least 6 in the soul right?

sandbagger
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob
    Come on out for wed. mornin's on somo...always a good time.

If you gonna build one, build a 6 spot and you'll always have room for those surprise appearing riders. You can fit at least 6 in the soul right?
    na i can get 5 in seats. ive got six before but someone sat in cargo. we would need cargo room for gear. I plan on buying a used truck tool box to weld or bolt onto the shuttle trailer to hold stuff like that for shuttle trips at least.

My shuttle trailer also dubs for my dirtbike and mini sand rail (dont pull sand rail with soul) but its pretty functional little trailer and could use the tool box for dirtbike gear camping gear etc.
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com

sandbagger
    na i can get 5 in seats. ive got six before but someone sat in cargo. we would need cargo room for gear. I plan on buying a used truck tool box to weld or bolt onto the shuttle trailer to hold stuff like that for shuttle trips at least.

My shuttle trailer also dubs for my dirtbike and mini sand rail (dont pull sand rail with soul) but its pretty functional little trailer and could use the tool box for dirtbike gear camping gear etc.
    i should start doing wed morn runs, i dont work till 1230pm now i can i just got my reciever put on today thats whats spawning my ideas.
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com

Braaaapp!
    6 big bikes on a 1 - 1/4" hitch? Yikes!

Figure six 40 lb bikes, plus a 50 lb rack and you are knocking on the door of 300 lbs, way over the tongue weight rating. Factor in all the leverage and you are going to have some serious hitch flexing going on!

I did a little make-shift setup this summer to get some stuff from Michigan to Arizona on the back of the Passat. 1-1/4" hitch, 200 lb tongue weight rating. I ended up with a longer arm on the bike rack, so it was placed ~10" further out than normal, so that I could fit two totes between the bikes and the bumper. Total weight of everything, racks, bikes, totes, etc was about 165 lbs. It had some scary looking flex/bounce going on! And that was using a piece of solid 1-1/4" steel for the reciever, and bolting the rack solidly to it (also with some U-bolts for backup).
    "It was like a German, techno-weird, acid trip." - The Hoff -

sandbagger
    Quote Originally Posted by tgiles
    i had my buddy make me an aluminum rack for the trunk of my car, it works great. but if u are looking to hold four dh bikes, i would probbly make it out of steel. aluminum has a tendency to crack under alot of weight.
    He has the full mig/tig set up and a mill in his garage, he would probably be willing to fab u up something. pm me if u want his info.
    are you talking about adam barnett ?are you the other adam lol
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com

sandbagger
    Quote Originally Posted by adam728
    6 big bikes on a 1 - 1/4" hitch? Yikes!

Figure six 40 lb bikes, plus a 50 lb rack and you are knocking on the door of 300 lbs, way over the tongue weight rating. Factor in all the leverage and you are going to have some serious hitch flexing going on!

I did a little make-shift setup this summer to get some stuff from Michigan to Arizona on the back of the Passat. 1-1/4" hitch, 200 lb tongue weight rating. I ended up with a longer arm on the bike rack, so it was placed ~10" further out than normal, so that I could fit two totes between the bikes and the bumper. Total weight of everything, racks, bikes, totes, etc was about 165 lbs. It had some scary looking flex/bounce going on! And that was using a piece of solid 1-1/4" steel for the reciever, and bolting the rack solidly to it (also with some U-bolts for backup).
    the tongue weight rating on the reciever/hitch is claimed at 350lb rating. I think i will stick with a rack that will only support enough bikes per seat in car. no point in extra unless a friend wanted to drive himself cuz he doesnt have a rack. im thinkin ill stick with 4 and if it gets to more take the shuttle trailer.
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com

Downhill Messiah
    [QUOTE=airmiller44]are you talking about adam barnett ?are you the other adam lol[/QUOT
    No, this is terry, the other adam's cousin.

Yes i was talking about adam barnett, how do u know him?

sandbagger
    [QUOTE=tgiles]
    are you talking about adam barnett ?are you the other adam lol[/QUOT
    No, this is terry, the other adam's cousin.

Yes i was talking about adam barnett, how do u know him?
    Went to highschool with him, the sandrail i was talking about is the sandrail he built. I hit sunrise with him once this summer. Im good friends with his buddy chad also. Grew up with all them. Im still waiting for him to design a dh frame and make some money. He deserves it.

oh and yeah when we went to sunrise he was with your cousin. we got rained on so they left early that time.

just talked to adam. we might do a shuttle this weekend on south mountain, holbert geronimo etc. if your down you and adam #2 should go. if shortbus james is there we can always just go with him
    Last edited by airmiller44; 09-09-2009 at 04:15 PM.
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    If they are easy to make you should think about selling them.. I need a 2" hitch version :-)

sandbagger
    Quote Originally Posted by Leethal
    If they are easy to make you should think about selling them.. I need a 2" hitch version :-)
    that design looks super easy. wonder what part they have patented tho.adam can make anything we can think of. i want to mimmick that rack, but without all the pivots i dont want to make it too complex. and im willing to reach in the car vs opening the hatch and having pivots.
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    that is a cool rack.
    Last edited by ttocs; 09-09-2009 at 05:55 PM.
    and the lurker returns to the dark corner

Downhill Messiah
    [QUOTE=airmiller44]

Went to highschool with him, the sandrail i was talking about is the sandrail he built. I hit sunrise with him once this summer. Im good friends with his buddy chad also. Grew up with all them. Im still waiting for him to design a dh frame and make some money. He deserves it.

oh and yeah when we went to sunrise he was with your cousin. we got rained on so they left early that time.

just talked to adam. we might do a shuttle this weekend on south mountain, holbert geronimo etc. if your down you and adam #2 should go. if shortbus james is there we can always just go with him
    Chad Broughten? That's too funny!!! Well as for shuttles, im out due to a torn rotator cuff and my wrist has a bunch of torn tendons/ligament. I'm down to drive though! Just have adam call me if u guys need a driver, i'm always down to help facilitate some shuttles.

sandbagger
    [QUOTE=tgiles]
    Chad Broughten? That's too funny!!! Well as for shuttles, im out due to a torn rotator cuff and my wrist has a bunch of torn tendons/ligament. I'm down to drive though! Just have adam call me if u guys need a driver, i'm always down to help facilitate some shuttles.
    yeah thats the chad hes a character lol, my friend Jimmy did some bad stuff to his shoulder at that big papago jump after the drop. he dislocated his shoulder tearing tendons and what not. he cant downhill / jump for like 6 months, i think that happened in june.

ok well ill let you know that would be cool
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com

Downhill Messiah
    [QUOTE=airmiller44]

yeah thats the chad hes a character lol, my friend Jimmy did some bad stuff to his shoulder at that big papago jump after the drop. he dislocated his shoulder tearing tendons and what not. he cant downhill / jump for like 6 months, i think that happened in june.

ok well ill let you know that would be cool
    Yeah, that big one took out my knee shortly after we built it, i hit it about 6-7 times then BOOM! I overcleared it, and haven't hit it since.

sandbagger
    [QUOTE=tgiles]
    Yeah, that big one took out my knee shortly after we built it, i hit it about 6-7 times then BOOM! I overcleared it, and haven't hit it since.
    i like nra but i dont want anything to do with papago the ground isnt forgiving at all.
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com

Downhill Messiah
    [QUOTE=airmiller44]

i like nra but i dont want anything to do with papago the ground isnt forgiving at all.
    That's why u dont fall! Lol!

mtbr member
    If you're looking to split cost on materials I would be interested in a 2in set up for 3 or 4 bikes. Don't need all the fancy pivots either. Just adds complexity and increased failure points.

I can get teh drawings done up in CAD if required.
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

I think I need to Upgrade
    the tongue weight rating on the reciever/hitch is claimed at 350lb rating. I think i will stick with a rack that will only support enough bikes per seat in car. no point in extra unless a friend wanted to drive himself cuz he doesnt have a rack. im thinkin ill stick with 4 and if it gets to more take the shuttle trailer.

Just because the hitch is rated at 350 doesn't always mean that the vehicle can handle a tongue weight of that amount. Check the vehicle owners manual just to be safe.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm with MattyBoy.. 2in setup for four bikes, simple is good.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by AzSpeedfreek
    Just because the hitch is rated at 350 doesn't always mean that the vehicle can handle a tongue weight of that amount. Check the vehicle owners manual just to be safe.
    Thule, that North Shore rack company... neither company puts more than 2 bikes on a 1.25" hitch. Shoulda gone with the 2"! I'd keep it simple and make your rack for only 2 bikes. Seems that you're asking for trouble to put on more of a load, especially on a prototype rack. Of course, if your friends trust your design expertise.... then do whatever. But my bike won't go on there! I look back at my T2 with 3 or 4 bikes (2" hitch) and am horrified by how much it rocks around.

A Huckin' Hypocrite

Eliminate pivot

Someone that the NoBrakes guys were riding with in flag had the Northshore and they like the rack but mentioned repeated shearing of the pin that goes throught the pivot not sure what kind of carnage that would be but sounds nasty going down the freeway. I would also not put much on that smallish hitch either...
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live.
    Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

sandbagger
    Quote Originally Posted by Kymmster
    Someone that the NoBrakes guys were riding with in flag had the Northshore and they like the rack but mentioned repeated shearing of the pin that goes throught the pivot not sure what kind of carnage that would be but sounds nasty going down the freeway. I would also not put much on that smallish hitch either...
    1 1/4 inch solid steel isnt going to bend break or move much its not that much weight the whole rack and bikes will weigh less than me. i sure hope a car frame can handle a person standing on the back of the car. the opening of the reciever also doesnt neccesarily mean it cant handle wieght its all in how the reciever is bolted or welded to frame.

to clarify we have moved to steel rack with no pivots at all so that would be a 1 1/4 solid steel bar going into reciever and at a 90 or so degree angle another solid or possibly hollow 1 1/4 inch steel rod going up all welded. then two main bars on top and botom for the wheels to be tied and "hooked on"
    plan on 4 bike rack.

similar to this no pivots nothing its not going to move around much the reason other ones move is because of the pivots and the reciever sleeve may not be very long. the sleeve on this hitch is like a foot long so it cant move much as long as its a tight fit.
    Last edited by airmiller44; 09-10-2009 at 06:15 PM.
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com

sandbagger
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoyR6
    If you're looking to split cost on materials I would be interested in a 2in set up for 3 or 4 bikes. Don't need all the fancy pivots either. Just adds complexity and increased failure points.

I can get teh drawings done up in CAD if required.
    I will probably go over and talk about it this weekend with him and see what we can do maybe do a mock up of one with old steel to see how it works then do a nice one later. i was thinking after its done spray it with that soft grippy bedliner spray for grips on the crown and tire grip when its tied down.
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com

Braaaapp!
    1 1/4 inch solid steel isnt going to bend break or move much its not that much weight the whole rack and bikes will weigh less than me. i sure hope a car frame can handle a person standing on the back of the car. the opening of the reciever also doesnt neccesarily mean it cant handle wieght its all in how the reciever is bolted or welded to frame.

to clarify we have moved to steel rack with no pivots at all so that would be a 1 1/4 solid steel bar going into reciever and at a 90 or so degree angle another solid or possibly hollow 1 1/4 inch steel rod going up all welded. then two main bars on top and botom for the wheels to be tied and "hooked on"
    plan on 4 bike rack.

similar to this no pivots nothing its not going to move around much the reason other ones move is because of the pivots and the reciever sleeve may not be very long. the sleeve on this hitch is like a foot long so it cant move much as long as its a tight fit.

somethin like this im bored at work and didnt want to actually try harder lol

Not saying you can't build a rack that can handle it, it's the leverage on the hitch and vehicle that's a bad thing. Tongue weight is usually applied within a few inches of the end of the reciever tube (all my 1-1/4" hitches position the ball maybe 4-6" from the end of the hitch). A bike rack is going to put that load for much further out, which puts a very large moment arm on the reciever. This is what will cause problems. You could probably put 600 lbs right on the hitch and not do any damage. Now, put a 10 foot reciever in there and you can probably flex things around with one hand. Cycle that thousands of times driving down the road, hitting bumps, etc, and you start to see cracked welds, bolts pulling thru the sheetmetal, etc.

Not saying it can't work. Just saying you'll never see me putting 4-6 bikes on a 1-1/4" reciever. The hitch may be rated for 350lb/3500lb tongue/tow, but isn't the Soul rated at "zero" towing capacity by Kia?

sandbagger
    i did state is was claimed tongue weight , yes the american kia soul is not rated. the same exact soul in europe is rated at 2500 lbs were talking 200lbs when and if i load 4 bikes.for the most part it will be me towing just my bike and every once in a while adding a few as most people drive themselves

. either way this thread was looking for a design for a bike rack not a design flaw in my car or what not.

we all see 200lb rascals and other wheelchairs hanging off of cadillacs volvos you name it. you know a caddy isnt tow rated nor all the acuras with hitches and what not.

I found a design im going to go with and the bikes will be hangin vertical not going any more than 4 feet away from the car. physics and leverage aside you will see me at south mountain with a 1 1/4 inch reciever and a rack that doest sway.

Thanks Latedrop bob for the link ! and DG for starting it. bob you can put your bike on my rack if you trust it hahaha
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com

sandbagger
    adam this one is for you. no its not my soul. but in comparison the jet ski is a 1000 lbs dont know tongue weight but im sure you can pick it up. either way my point is people do what they want i have a soul and im not buying another car i just thought this pic was funny

TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com

sandbagger
    looks like kia tested it in europe for towing, which is where they gave it tow rating. they prob just had to not give it a tow rating because of the powertrain warranty that is 10 year 100k
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com

Braaaapp!
    physics and leverage aside you will see me at south mountain with a 1 1/4 inch reciever and a rack that doest sway.
    I wish I knew how to defeat physics.

All I am saying is that there is a huge difference between tongue weight 6" back from the reciever on a ball, and the leverage that a rack can have 3 feet back from the reciever.

350 lbs, 6" lever arm, 175 lbft of torque applied to the hitch structure.
    200 lbs, 3 ft lever arm, 600 lbft of torque applied to the hitch.

Plus the forces a rack puts on a hitch are different because it has a free end. All bumps are transmitted as a greater torque application to the hitch. More force occillating, more chance of fatigue. With a trailer the axle takes up a lot of those peak loads.

I'll say it again, the forces on a reciever froma trailer's tongue weight or that of a rack's weight are not nearly the same. It's all about leverage.

Just because you can hook something up, doesn't mean you should (my favorite example of all time)

I'll stop now. I've given my opinion, I'm pretty sure your don't care though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    i like this rack idea and want to make one myself. mine will be for a 2 inch hitch on my exploder. anyone see a problem with making a 5 bike version for 2 inch on an exploder? I would love to see your design ideas come together on this and some details. Its always Easier when you donít have to completely invent the wheel.

Kathleen in AZ
    Here's a crazy idea... buy a rack from NorthShoreRacks (or at least get on their waiting list)

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    i dont wana spend $500 on a bike rack. plus fabing up stuff is way more fun then pressing buy it now.

sandbagger

Good job!

I wish I knew how to defeat physics.

All I am saying is that there is a huge difference between tongue weight 6" back from the reciever on a ball, and the leverage that a rack can have 3 feet back from the reciever.

350 lbs, 6" lever arm, 175 lbft of torque applied to the hitch structure.
    200 lbs, 3 ft lever arm, 600 lbft of torque applied to the hitch.

Plus the forces a rack puts on a hitch are different because it has a free end. All bumps are transmitted as a greater torque application to the hitch. More force occillating, more chance of fatigue. With a trailer the axle takes up a lot of those peak loads.

I'll say it again, the forces on a reciever froma trailer's tongue weight or that of a rack's weight are not nearly the same. It's all about leverage.

Just because you can hook something up, doesn't mean you should (my favorite example of all time)

I'll stop now. I've given my opinion, I'm pretty sure your don't care though.
    cant see the pics but no its not that i dont care i understand the leverage and i know the longer the arm the more force there will be. and im sure that adam or jimmy who is an engineer will put there input and see what actually happens like i said we will prob mock one up out of scrap to see what happens, i appreciate your input as i am now thinking of how that can be manipulated or avoided. most bike racks do go out a few feet. we could bolt on aluminum bars to reduce weight as long as main bar is steel there are other ways around reducing weight and keeping it strong.

my only arguement to anyone was just because the reciever hole itself is 1 1/4 doesnt make it stronger now im sure they put a smaller reciever knowing you wont need a 2" for a vehicle such as mine or other small vehicles. a 2" can handle 10,000 pound boats etc. so it would be excessive for a bike rack on any car its just what most cars come with. i could cut off the 1 1/4 and weld a 2" on the brackets, that wouldnt neccesarily make it any better for a 200lb load. like you said its my actual car and how it would handle etc with sag. 200lbs in my mind could not break a weld on that with or without bumps i really only plan on using the rack for my own bike except for special occasions. my bike doesnt fit in my car without taking it completely apart. i have through axles dual crown and all so i havent even been riding at all since i bought the car besides sunrise with friends.

I appreciate your input and will keep it in mind
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com

sandbagger
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    Here's a crazy idea... buy a rack from NorthShoreRacks (or at least get on their waiting list)
    yeah that takes all the fun out of it and makes your wallet empty. 500 is a ton for that setup your paying for their patent on the pivots or what not.

if you can make it its more fun and something you can be proud of.
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com

sandbagger
    but once again i really only plan on using it for 1 or 2 bikes and occasionally throwing a few extras on. so for the most part the rack will only even be on the car a few times a week with 1 bike. i live in fountain hills for now and i have to meet everyone somewhere. and i have the trailer so if i know it will be easier or if putting 4 bikes proves to be too much i can just make it for 2 bikes and keep the weight down. and then switch to the shuttle trailer which literally has a tongue weight of like 50lbs or less.

adam you could be entirly right its possible i might end up with a 2 or 3 rack
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com

sandbagger
    I am happy with the turnout of ideas and discussing them this turned into a usefull thread for me and seems a few other people got interested also. Thanks for all the input
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com

sandbagger
    hey adam on what you have talked about, would making the angle put any more weight closer to the "ball mount area" for instance instead of the bar going straigt up go at the steepest angle like say putting the front tires almost against the back window and the rear tire maybe a foot behind that mark. you have any ideas to change how it would work ? or is your best recomendation just only m aking it a 2 or 3 bike rack.
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com

Braaaapp!
    The closer you can get the center of gravity to the vehicle the better it will be.

I hope I didn't sound like too much of a dink in my posts. I am half sick today, and have had a pound-your-head-against-the-wall day with work. I just vented to the old lady and feel better now (cept the sick part).

sandbagger
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com

sandbagger
    The closer you can get the center of gravity to the vehicle the better it will be.

I hope I didn't sound like too much of a dink in my posts. I am half sick today, and have had a pound-your-head-against-the-wall day with work. I just vented to the old lady and feel better now (cept the sick part).
    no its cool you cant get the context in text, im no hothead nor an engineer I am practically paid to sit on these forums at chat about bikes. i dont literally get paid for it but im at work doing nothing else.
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    +1

The angle of your main support is the wrong direction. In reality, the main support post will be at an angle similar to the bracing in your drawing. look at this picture:

If you don't want adjustable pivots, make sure you allow for the longest possible travel fork you can foresee using with this vehicle/rack combo. It also may turn out that you won't be able to use this on another vehicle.

Make sure your car insurance is paid up, so if your bike flies off at 70mph and takes out another car, you are covered.

if you can make it its more fun and something you can be proud of.
    If you really want to be proud, you should come up with your own design and truly be able to say it is yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Leethal
    Finally, I wouldn't try to sell these or even hint at selling these on a public message board without consulting a patent attorney, and reviewing the existing patent.

Braaaapp!
    Depending on the hitch design you could drill multiple pin holes to adjust the rack closer or further away. Some hitches go straight thru and have a good amount of clearance to where you may get 6-10" of adjustability. Others are welded closed on the backside, or butt up against part of the car like my Jeep (could be crossmember, gas tank, floor pan, etc).

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    your paying for their patent on the pivots or what not.
    You are paying for the engineering, the R&D, the thought process that went into a design that you feel is good enough to rip-off, the many prototypes that were made to work out the bugs, and some profit that supports a family owned small company of mountainbikers who want to eek out a living in the industry they love.

sandbagger
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainflow
    +1

The angle of your main support is the wrong direction. In reality, the main support post will be at an angle similar to the bracing in your drawing. look at this picture:

If you don't want adjustable pivots, make sure you allow for the longest possible travel fork you can foresee using with this vehicle/rack combo. It also may turn out that you won't be able to use this on another vehicle.

Make sure your car insurance is paid up, so if your bike flies off at 70mph and takes out another car, you are covered.

If you really want to be proud, you should come up with your own design and truly be able to say it is yours.

Finally, I wouldn't try to sell these or even hint at selling these on a public message board without consulting a patent attorney, and reviewing the existing patent.
    nope havent offered to sell anything its all speculation right now, their patent is prob in canada anyways but no this isnt a company or revenue generated idea by any means.
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com

sandbagger
    You are paying for the engineering, the R&D, the thought process that went into a design that you feel is good enough to rip-off, the many prototypes that were made to work out the bugs, and some profit that supports a family owned small company of mountainbikers who want to eek out a living in the industry they love.
    no offense but the only rip off is the price tag they have. id like to know what part they have patented because its the same as any hanging shuttle trailer except it has pivots and 4 little bars to grab the crown. they couldnt gain a patent on just the 4 rods that grab a crown on a bike because thats just a good place on the bike. the hanging shuttle trailer rests on crown and bottom bar thats not innovative. and im sure they are having fun hiking prices up on bike stuff like everyone else.

either way its not innovative to me by any means jsut a good way to hold a product that cant be held many other ways.
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com

Black and Sticky
    What mountainflow said.
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

sandbagger
    mountainflow yeah your right on the angle after looking at that picture. hmmmmmm guess just got to see what works for me and my car and dont want to infringe on any patent if they have one in u.s. but like i said not selling them. just for my use. i was even looking on craigslist for older hitch racks people are selling and just fabbing onto them.
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    either way its not innovative to me by any means jsut a good way to hold a product that cant be held many other ways.
    It's innovative enough that I can't think of any other similar designs. Can you post links to other racks that are similar?

sandbagger
    maybe i will ask them if they have a us patent or canadian and what part is patented.im assuming it is the folding options
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com

sandbagger
    It's innovative enough that I can't think of any other similar designs. Can you post links to other racks that are similar?
    any shuttle trailer, any hanging bike rack any vertical rack. I will ask them directly to see what they have patented and if it is i could just build a rack that hangs just like the shuttle rack it wouldnt be much different or difficult. just more rub on frame.
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com

sandbagger
    also dont half the canadians rip off the fsr patent because there patent office doesnt think that its innovative enough. specialized can only control it in the u.s. i would think if canada denies fsr patent how could they patent just the hooks on this system ? anyways i shot them an email so i know where to go from there.
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com

I'm with stupid -------->
    May 2009
    maybe i will ask them if they have a us patent or canadian and what part is patented.im assuming it is the folding options
    http://www.google.com/patents

Members who have read this thread: 0