zul
    Will Guide for Beer

Help: Cleaning greasy bike rags

I have a nice collection of fully greased bike rags. In order to save my marriage, does anyone know how I might clean these without distroying the wash machine or clothes?

thx.

zul
    If lovin you is wrong, I don't wanna be right

"No Clue Crew"
    laundrymat

mtbr member
    Make sure there is no attendant watching you at the laundrymat because they usually have a sign to the effect of "no grease rags in the machines".

Other option is to wash them in the sink with something like Simple Green, but do that when the wife is out and clean it up before she gets back.

mtbr member
    My kids make rags out of their clothes, socks, etc,. instead of throwing the clothes away I used them as rags.
    www.StudioDino.com
    The Ride: 2013 Specialized Epic is epic / Roubaix

oooh, shiny...
    I usually soak them in a bucket of bleach before throwing them in the washer.

Or I go down to the $1 store and buy some cheap towels.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I've run rags though the washer no problem doubling up the detergent, letting them soak and then running the load. I then run a hot cycle w/ detergent again just to get grease that might be lurking. So far no stained clothes.

local trails rider
    My old T shirts end up as bike rags: I just tear off pieces that are about the right size for whatever I want to wipe. The dirty ones go into the trash.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Simple Green or 409 in a 5 gallon bucket outside. Doesn't get them squeaky clean, but good enough to reuse.

Need more cowbell
    I use old t-shirts and bedsheets.....cut into 8" squares.....work great.

mtbr member
    i've been washing my greasy/oily rags in my washing machine with degreaser and detergent for years with no ill effect on the washer or any laundry run afterwards. pretty sure those drums are coated to protect against such things and as long as the rinse cycle does it's job there shouldn't be any residue.

if you're still afraid of your wife just hand wash them in a bucket.

slow and whiney
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by zul
    I have a nice collection of fully greased bike rags. In order to save my marriage, does anyone know how I might clean these without distroying the wash machine or clothes?
    I used to soak them in a big bucket of hot water and detergent for awhile, then take them out and look at them. Really bad ones went in the trash, not-so-bad ones went in the washer. Now I just use them until they're really bad, then toss them in the trash. Ditto the other comments regarding using old t-shirts as rags.

RHRF!

Goop...

...my wife has used it for years on my greasy rags. If you are concerned about your machine at home, just go to the laundromat as suggested. Use your normal detergent but take each rag and put a 'dollop' of Goop on it and rub it in with another greasy rag - then toss in the machine and wash as usual. The rags won't be 'spotless', but the grease will be completely gone.
    "The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)

mtbr member
    This thread came at just the right time....Monday I was out in the garage cleaning up and I saw my pile of greasy rags and started thinking about how I was going to wash those....I don't have any that are extremely greasy so I think I am just going to throw them in the wash and they should be good as new......or almost new......

gears weigh too much
    Take a big rubbermade trash can, throw the rags in, dump in a gallon or two of superclean, a gallon or so of bleach, and fill the rest up with water. Let it soak for a day or two, stirring/agitating it every once in a while with a shovel or something like that. Drain the water/soap mix and fill it up with water; let that soak for a day, stirring ever once in a while. Finally drain and refill the water one more time and then hang them out to dry.

Members who have read this thread: 0