HELP! Can I ride at these grad school locations???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2005

HELP! Can I ride at these grad school locations???

So, mountain biking is definately one of my all time favorite activities! Along with snowboarding and playing guitar... I've lived in colorado (evergreen, and now boulder for college) since 5th grade and have been mountain biking ever since. I am applying to graduate school for Masters of Architecture in a couple months to begin school next fall. My biggest dillema is that my active lifestyle will suffer (to the best of my knowledge) due to the locations of the top programs I am applying to and ultimately planning on going to (at this point in time):

in order of preference:

Yale (New Haven, CT)
    Harvard (Cambridge, MA)
    Berkeley (Berkeley, CA)
    U of Washington (Seattle, WA)
    ASU (Tempe, AZ)
    UT Austin (Austin, TX)
    possibly Cornell (Ithica, NY)

I have some serious decisions to make in these next 2 months that will dictate my architecture career...

Obviosly I can ride at Berkeley and Washington, but I really have no idea about New Haven, Cambridge, Tempe, Austin, and Ithica. Please let me know what it is like at these places my fellow riders.... I am pretty hardcore into trail riding with lots of technical terrain, tight single track, high speeds, drops (up to 5 ft.), and high fun factors. I ride all over the colorado front range primarily, and moab is my mountain biking heaven. (I ride a Turner 5 spot)

First priority is to go to the best grad program I can get into, but god I want to be able to ride during the extremely small amount of free time I will have in order to keep myself sane. I'll be posting this in several forums for the most possible info I can muster up...

Please let me know what is out there....

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Boulder Biker
    So, mountain biking is definately one of my all time favorite activities! Along with snowboarding and playing guitar... I've lived in colorado (evergreen, and now boulder for college) since 5th grade and have been mountain biking ever since. I am applying to graduate school for Masters of Architecture in a couple months to begin school next fall. My biggest dillema is that my active lifestyle will suffer (to the best of my knowledge) due to the locations of the top programs I am applying to and ultimately planning on going to (at this point in time):

in order of preference:

Yale (New Haven, CT)
    Harvard (Cambridge, MA)
    Berkeley (Berkeley, CA)
    U of Washington (Seattle, WA)
    ASU (Tempe, AZ)
    UT Austin (Austin, TX)
    possibly Cornell (Ithica, NY)

I have some serious decisions to make in these next 2 months that will dictate my architecture career...

Obviosly I can ride at Berkeley and Washington, but I really have no idea about New Haven, Cambridge, Tempe, Austin, and Ithica. Please let me know what it is like at these places my fellow riders.... I am pretty hardcore into trail riding with lots of technical terrain, tight single track, high speeds, drops (up to 5 ft.), and high fun factors. I ride all over the colorado front range primarily, and moab is my mountain biking heaven. (I ride a Turner 5 spot)

First priority is to go to the best grad program I can get into, but god I want to be able to ride during the extremely small amount of free time I will have in order to keep myself sane. I'll be posting this in several forums for the most possible info I can muster up...

Please let me know what is out there....

Thanks!
    austin is...well....texas, so there is nothing there. and here in tempe we have south mountain about fifteen minutes away which is a mecca for everything you need, as wel as mcdowell mountains about 20 min away, and a bunch of other places i dont need to mention, and lots of rider friendly weather. the summers get hot but night riding is great. but i will be riding in december and jan, and feb probably in a tee shirt. summer hits and you just sweat no matter what you are doing. you could be a meat locker tester and you will still sweat here in the summer.

mr. wonderful
    OK, 2 points:
    1. you will have a very difficult time finding the time to ride, especially the better schools. i'm got my march from uva and i practically lived in the studio. it was very intense.
    2. curious about your choices after 1 and 2. if you really want the top schools, why no princeton, columbia, and virginia? along with the gsd and yale those are clearly the top of the heap. I would even put ucla ahead of the others you listed.

immerse yourself in architecture now, you'll have plenty of time to ride after you graduate (maybe).

mtbr member
    May 2005

how is UVA?

I put the postings in just to try to reinforce my decision to go back east by convincing myself that I might be able to engage myself in one of my passions other than architecture. I have lived in studio in boulder, but it is nice to be able to get out and ride or snowboard during breaks and when I find time.

I do realize that I probably won't have time to do anything else but architecture, but it would be nice to live in an environment that I will enjoy to some level. I know for a fact that I would like it in washington coming from colorado, but not so sure about the east. I am just wondering if I will end up in these places later or have to move away because I will be so miserable.

I am definately thinking about princeton although I don't realy care too much for new jersey (that is where I moved from coming to colorado). Colombia is too theoretcal and out there for me to get into. I am trying to emerse myself in a prgram that deals with issues of sustainability yet is still very design heavy (again, not along the lines of colombia, ucla, and sci arc), and ultimately I want to get a good practical base, which I've been told colombia and sci arch and ucla can be either a foot in the door or a turn off when trying to get a job.

I'm not very familiar with UVA, I just assumed I wouldn't want to live in that area I guess, but I could be wrong. How did you like it there? What does the program emphasize? I'm really trying to narrow down at this point and Yale seems to offer the best package for what I'm into, but I can't assume I will get in there. I also want to steer clear of areas that I would be miserable living in. So, I guess, location, reputation/ranking, emphasis of the program, quality of the program for what I want, connections, and so on are the biggest issues for me. I'm sure you know all about that when you had to choose. It's getting down to the wire so I need to decide exactly where to apply to get my letters of rec together in time, the essays, and my portfolio for each school...

Thanks for the advice!

i like cheese.
    Out of curiousity, what kind of masters are you going for? I've been tossing around the idea of going back to school for my master's in architecture... I have an accredited B. Arch and I am beginning my tests, so I'd only be going back for about a year. It's a tough decision and as much I'd want to consider riding, I'd agree with dirtbag... take the time to focus on architecture in the grad school, worry about focusing on riding later...

As for the list yale, harvard, cornell, and berkeley don't need anymore discussion, and I am not familar with UW. One of my favorite professors left my program for UT Austin to start some really interesting work with a program emphasizing design exploration through 'making' things, which personally gets me going...

We have several people in my office who went to ASU for undergrad and are absolutely not considering it for further study, and frankly ASU seems to be an odd choice in your list. I have not been impressed with what I have heard from either grad program in AZ.

my .02.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I am going for my M. Arch coming from a 4 year B. ENVD degree so I would be in school for 2.5 years or so depending on what the programs will give me advanced standing for.

I am interested in ASU because I've heard a lot of good things about their program more recently. A few of my baller professors have very good things to say about it, so I am just kind of curious I guess, but that might change...

ride.
    I grew up in the North East and started mountain biking there, I moved out here about 6 years ago to ride in the sunshine. Last year i thought i missed te east coast so i moved back. Boy, what a mistake that was. I got so used to my 5 hour rides on south mountain(not to mention sedon and flagstaff) that when i got back east i just about went crazy, the rides there are short, the weatehr sucks and it is nothing but roadies on mounatin bikes
    In my opinion: Learn form my mistake, stay away from the east. grad school is challenging enough, you don't need to have crappy riding on top of it

my 2 cents.

mr. wonderful
    not to bore the entire internet, i pm(ed) you with specifics on UVa (and how much different Boulder is from Seattle (can you say rain?)).

good luck-

Members who have read this thread: 0